PDA

View Full Version : Does Bomar fall in I-AA lap?

Prominent0ne
August 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Wow.

Just hope he doesn't decide to transfer to a I-AA texas team. Not good.

Anyhow, one of the best underclass QB's in the country. Damn shame.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2824545/

dbackjon
August 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Probably not - since he is under investigation for illegal money, probably won't be eligible anywhere.

goasu984Life
August 2nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
I doubt he will drop down. I don't think any I-AA team would take him with what they said that he did.

AppGuy04
August 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Miami and FSU would snatch him up

DTSpider
August 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
I doubt he will drop down. I don't think any I-AA team would take him with what they said that he did.

I don't know. I've heard of some players doing some really bad things and there's always some team out there who will pick people up. The second chance mentality will prevail for most kids.

goasu984Life
August 2nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Miami and FSU would snatch him up

He would fit right in at Miami, evidently. Of course, he would have to give up his gun, if he has one.

GeauxColonels
August 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
I was just having the same discussion with some people here in my office. I think it would be too hard for him to transfer in and play this year in a I-AA program (unless they were DESPERATE for a QB). What's best for him is to just sit out the year and hope that the NCAA doesn't strip him of the rest of his eligibility and find a new home in I-A. Like it was already stated, Miami and FSU would love to have him there....he'd fit right in!

Reed Rothchild
August 2nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Some are saying that he received $18,000 for working at an auto-dealership for 5 hrs a week. If that is true, he would have to pay back that money before he is eligible to play again.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
The most likely senario is he gets suspended for a yr.....ends up transfering to another 1-A school outside the Big 12 (since he sat out the yr)....and starts for a program like say ummmm.....UTEP (for example).

Barring that the NCAA doesn't kill his collegiate career that is.: smh :

I wonder if Grady is kicking himself for Tranferring to Utah now??

kats89
August 2nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Wow.

Hell, I'd take him. :nod: it was a freaking job. so he used poor judgement in the taking of the money for less work deal, but its not like he is a felon. We have the type of offense he is used to and we could use a STUD QB.

Freightliner
August 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
He goes JUCO then back to I-A. IMO

MR. CHICKEN
August 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Hell, I'd take him. :nod: it was a freaking job. so he used poor judgement in the taking of the money for less work deal, but its not like he is a felon. We have the type of offense he is used to and we could use a STUD QB.

TURN DUH OTHERAH CHEEK..........FO' W'S..........: smh :.........BRAWK!

THIS WAS ONE O' MARSHALL'S SINS.....:(......BRAWK!

Brent
August 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM

Come on, Bomar knew what he was doing. He was taking cash from a well known Sooner donor, bottomline

Im with Freightliner, I think Bomar will go to JUCO for a season and tries to get with a I-A school in 2007. Houston, SMU and UNT all need a QB for the '07 season.

McNeese75
August 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM

:eek: You need ANOTHER Stud QB???????????? xlolx ;)

poly51
August 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Come on, Bomar knew what he was doing. He was taking cash from a well known Sooner donor, bottomline

Im with Freightliner, I think Bomar will go to JUCO for a season and tries to get with a I-A school in 2007. Houston, SMU and UNT all need a QB for the '07 season.

Maybe Fresno State. They are the Oakland Raiders of college football.

BaylorTitan
August 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Looks like a SHSU player.

GeauxColonels
August 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Looks like a SHSU player.
Um, am I missing something here with this post? :confused:

wannabegaucho
August 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe Fresno State. They are the Oakland Raiders of college football.
Pat Hill is the coach, not Bill Callahan or Butch Davis.

lucchesicourt
August 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
$18,000/(52X5)= $163 That only amounts to $163/hour. It's not like others don't make that. I agree it may be wrong for boosters to do this, but aren't people allowed to contract for help? Now, if it is against the rules to employ athletes, then I believe he is guilty and should lose his elgibility. But, who can tell a businessman how much he can pay an individual for his labor. And, if he never showed up to work and got paid he should be inelgibile. The fact he showed up to work adds a little question in my mind as to whether or not he was just an overpaid employee like many NY Yankee players have been.. Afterall, if he were a car salesman, he really would not be employed by the dealer, he would be an independent contractor. I think the fact is, boosters have been doing this for years at major colleges, and he just got caught. Chuck Municie played at Cal, and does anyone really believe he was academically qualified? I would love to see a copy of his transcripts.

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
From KatFans.com's Spock (apparently stolen from another site):

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/mrmustang1965/wheelofbomar.gif

Go...gate
August 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Probably not - since he is under investigation for illegal money, probably won't be eligible anywhere.

What was the damned car dealer thinking? $18,000 for a few days work? Like nobody would check, in this day and age? This ain't Alabama in 1966 when Kenny Stabler got a no-show job and a free Stingray, and everybody looked the other way.

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
$18,000/(52X5)= $163 That only amounts to $163/hour. It's not like others don't make that. I agree it may be wrong for boosters to do this, but aren't people allowed to contract for help? Now, if it is against the rules to employ athletes, then I believe he is guilty and should lose his elgibility. But, who can tell a businessman how much he can pay an individual for his labor. And, if he never showed up to work and got paid he should be inelgibile. The fact he showed up to work adds a little question in my mind as to whether or not he was just an overpaid employee like many NY Yankee players have been.. Afterall, if he were a car salesman, he really would not be employed by the dealer, he would be an independent contractor. I think the fact is, boosters have been doing this for years at major colleges, and he just got caught. Chuck Municie played at Cal, and does anyone really believe he was academically qualified? I would love to see a copy of his transcripts.

I don't know if this rambling post deserves a response, but I'll give it a shot. What do Chuck Muncie's academics at Cal have to do with this ? And the New York Yankees are professional athletes contracted for a service, not amateur collegiate athletes.

Anyways . . if only the NCAA was as forgiving as you, then every star college athlete would be set for life before they turned 21. It isn't against the rules to employ athletes. It is against the rules to pay them excessively. Employers are allowed to contract for help, but only if they're in line with their standard operating procedures. How many other employees of this dealership (besides Bomar's roommate) made $18,000 for a small amount of work ? Are these opportunities afforded to all OU students ?

It doesn't matter if boosters have been doing this for years. It's an NCAA violation, the booster should be punished, the athlete should be punished and the school should be punished.

lucchesicourt
August 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
I was picking on the NCAA for overlooking many things and catching only a few cheaters. And, if you are one of the BIG money makers for the NCAA the punishment is usualy less severe than if you are a smaller financial impact institution. I am not saying they totally overlook your big universities errors, only make punishments less severe. The NCAA does a poor job of enforcing the penalties against cheaters.

cosmo here
August 3rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
I was picking on the NCAA for overlooking many things and catching only a few cheaters. And, if you are one of the BIG money makers for the NCAA the punishment is usualy less severe than if you are a smaller financial impact institution. I am not saying they totally overlook your big universities errors, only make punishments less severe. The NCAA does a poor job of enforcing the penalties against cheaters.

I didn't get that feeling at all from your previous post . . you didn't mention any of those things, other than Chuck Muncie at Cal, which is only on topic since apparently some things were "overlooked".

MACHIAVELLI
August 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM
Some are saying that he received $18,000 for working at an auto-dealership for 5 hrs a week. If that is true, he would have to pay back that money before he is eligible to play again.

True.

blackfordpu
August 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Wow.

I don't think the NCAA will let him play for any NCAA team. Maybe NAIA?

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I don't think the NCAA will let him play for any NCAA team. Maybe NAIA?

"If former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar decides to transfer and play football at another NCAA institution, he will have to clear some hurdles. Since Oklahoma has declared him ineligible, Bomar more than likely will have to repay the money he shouldn't have received from working at a car dealership, then seek reinstatement from the NCAA."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2538667

walliver
August 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Another quote from the article:

If Bomar is reinstated and transfers to another Division I school, he would be required to sit out this season. The NCAA does allow a one-time transfer from Division I to I-AA, but a student-athlete must meet four conditions: the student-athlete has two years of eligibility remaining; he or she has not transferred previously from a four-year institution; he or she is in good academic standing and meets progress toward degree requirements; and the former school has released the student-athlete from his or her scholarship.

I wonder if he would be considered "in good academic standing"?

Actually what will happen is:

1) He moves to Huntington, WV
2) He gets a job as a toothpaste model
3) He is highly paid because he has more teeth than the whole state of West Virginia.
4) He repays the money, and
5) Becomes the starting quarterback for the Thundering Turd and leads them to a third place finish in C-USA.

kats89
August 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM

Dad pays his money back and he transfers to SHSU!!:smiley_wi you would hate that, WOULDN'T YOU!!:nod:

wannabegaucho
August 4th, 2006, 12:11 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/mrmustang1965/wheelofbomar.gif
Another well-done Sooner Fark.

Tealblood
August 4th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Athletes can get jobs from boosters but they must be paid what anyother person at that job gets.

Normally when athletes get jobs they communicate it with or thru the compliance office--in fact it used to be before an athlete could get a summer job or whatever you got a note or permission slip from the compliance office

W. DeMontague
August 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Looks like Div. II Texas A&M Commerce is interested.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AqxBBm8rwcOCruZjq1oojy0cvrYF?slug=ap-bomar-am-commerce&prov=ap&type=lgns

mikebigg
August 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'd like to see him stay in Olklahoma and go to NAIA Langston...:nod:

W. DeMontague
August 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Nah.

Bacone is the school to go to in Oklahoma.

Freightliner
August 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Dad pays his money back and he transfers to SHSU!!:smiley_wi you would hate that, WOULDN'T YOU!!:nod:

You would hate it even more if he transferred to Texas State, (his cousin Luke, was a TE at Texas State)....WOULDN'T YOU!!!

:eek: :rotateh: :rotateh: xlolx

Ronbo
August 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
He might turn pro in baseball. He was a top ranked player out of HS.

kats89
August 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM
You would hate it even more if he transferred to Texas State, (his cousin Luke, was a TE at Texas State)....WOULDN'T YOU!!!

:eek: :rotateh: :rotateh: xlolx

Key word is WAS. Besides ya'll have your saviour in Chase Wasson, right?xlolx :smiley_wi

dirtbag
August 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM

How exactly does one "turn pro" in baseball during the first week of August?

Lionsrking
August 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM

He wasn't a very good baseball player. More hype than substance. He chose the right sport.

Bearkats94
August 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM
If the NCAA would just let the athletes work jobs like ever other college student this would have never happen. This crap that they say the athletes need time to study and due homework is bulls*** . I knew people that took 18-21 hours and worked full-time jobs and still graduate with a 3.85 GPA. With the cost of living today they have to have some way to pay for the things they need to live.

I am not taking up for him by any means.

Maverick
August 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
BearKats94,
There are a lot of those 18-21 credit types who work full-time and maintain that 3.80 GPA but I am not sure which school they attend. With football players it is usually 12-15 credits plus lifting, running, study hall, tutors during the off season and 20 hours of practice (does not include meetings, film work, etc.) during the season. There is allowance for them to work while at school but there are NCAA rules that address the work situation so that the schools have to monitor it. This is for work on or off campus. Even when they are on vacation or summer session the same monitoring is in place.

Such NCAA rules are often a reaction to some type of scandal such as the one mentioned about Stabler and his Stingray. THe old joke about a kid at a school in Arizona being hired to keep seagulls off the field (or some other such nonsensical job) were not far from the truth. Arkansas had a situation recently that came about because of a divorce in Texas. Part of the hearing were revelations about athletes being overpaid and/or not showing up and being paid. So before you go off on the NCAA, it is other coaches who are often behind such new rules. They cannot afford to compete but they can get it in a form that limits the other guy they think it will help them.