5. villanova
6. Towson

SunCoastBlueHen
August 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Beat you by about a minute, GF. :D

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Beat you by about a minute, GF. :D

Yeah, but you didn't give the link though - that's cheating. ;)

DTSpider
August 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
I'm just glad Richmond wasn't picked first. No need for the curse hanging over our head.

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
There's at least a decent chance that the curse could live again this year. Both UNH and to a lesser extent JMU have some questions on defense, and UNH plays all projected top 3 A10 South teams this year (at Delaware and home against the other two), plus Northwestern to start the year. JMU has at Appy St, on the road against UNH, and a tough 4 game stretch with @ UNH, W&M, @ Rich, UD, followed by two road games to end the year. UMass may be the beneficiary of a very easy schedule this year. Assuming they can take care of Colgate (which is never a good assumption) and outside of the Navy game (probably will lose that one) they have an easy schedule - they get the bottom 3 in the A10 South (nova, Towson, and W&M).

Umass74
August 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
UMass may be the beneficiary of a very easy schedule this year. Assuming they can take care of Colgate (which is never a good assumption) and outside of the Navy game (probably will lose that one) they have an easy schedule - they get the bottom 3 in the A10 South (nova, Towson, and W&M).

Just to remind non-A10 fans------ UMass went 3-0 against JMU, Richmond and Delaware last season.

bluehenbillk
August 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately UMass found another way to screw things up & went 4-4 with the other 8 games.

GannonFan
August 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately UMass found another way to screw things up & went 4-4 with the other 8 games.

Good point, without those big games to point towards which way does UMass go? Do they struggle against the OOC schedule again and find enough ways to slip up in the conference again? Or do they have a better focus now that they don't have those 3 big games to play (truth be told the Richmond game was the first game of the season, before Richmond was seen as a big game, and, for those non-A10 fans, it was without Tutt under center).

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Towson take down UMASS. Why not? They have a very underrated team. They'll slay a giant or two this year again like last year as I only see their program improving.

Well... let me rephrase myslef. They are scary to play at Towson, still pathetic on the road...

Looking at their schedule, 7-4 is not out of the question. I could see them taking down UMASS on homecoming at Towson after a big win the previous week in their A-10 home opener against Maine. That could put the Tigers at 5-1 or 6-0 come late October and looking to make some noise against the real tough home stretch of their schedule.

Umass74
August 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
(truth be told the Richmond game was the first game of the season, before Richmond was seen as a big game, and, for those non-A10 fans, it was without Tutt under center).

Those non-A10 fans should remember UMass played the Richmond game without three time A10 Rookie-of-the-week Liam Coen under center.

UNH 1999
August 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I am looking forward to when JMU and UNH meet up in Durham... depending on how the 1st half of the season goes, this game could be huge. could being the operative word.

DTSpider
August 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'm happy that the UR - UNH game (Oct 7) is covered by CN8. It's the week before the JMU game. If UNH is looking past UR it could be a huge mistake.

blukeys
August 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm happy that the UR - UNH game (Oct 7) is covered by CN8. It's the week before the JMU game. If UNH is looking past UR it could be a huge mistake.

UNH has on its schedule:

9-30 Delaware
10-7 Richmond
10-14 JMU

I actually see Richmond in a great position here. Even a win by UNH against Delaware will take something out of the Wildcats. If they look ahead to JMU;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

UNH 40
August 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Just to remind non-A10 fans------ UMass went 3-0 against JMU, Richmond and Delaware last season.

Then they lost to UNH and went in the tank.

UNH 40
August 10th, 2006, 07:42 AM

These kids don't play for anything but the game infront of them, they will not look past the Spiders, coach Mac. won't allow it. They will be set for a tough game.

th0m
August 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Damn, why is A-10 football just so wide open every year :cool:

Not liking the no.1 A-10 South pick, but as long as MaineJeff doesn't have us in the lead, we should be fine! :D

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Damn, why is A-10 football just so wide open every year :cool:

Not liking the no.1 A-10 South pick, but as long as MaineJeff doesn't have us in the lead, we should be fine! :D

Beginning to look like the same old crew to me.

JMU, UNH, UD, UMASS with another team sneaking in occasionally, last year Richmond, the year before W&M:boring:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

th0m
August 10th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Well if you've got a 'same old' crew of half the league, then alright you've got a deal :p

How's this though: UNH's last year's lone A-10 (and also regular season) loss was to W&M, who were 'middle of the pack' last year. W&M actually lost to URI, who finished the season 4-7.

I guess what I'm saying is these rankings are useless ;) Let's just enjoy football in a couple of weeks and forget about who's ranked where.

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Well if you've got a 'same old' crew of half the league, then alright you've got a deal :p

How's this though: UNH's last year's lone A-10 (and also regular season) loss was to W&M, who were 'middle of the pack' last year. W&M actually lost to URI, who finished the season 4-7.

I guess what I'm saying is these rankings are useless ;) Let's just enjoy football in a couple of weeks and forget about who's ranked where.

No its not half the league it's five teams.
Percentage of the total 41.67%
about four points higher than the SoCon's big 3:smiley_wi

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Beginning to look like the same old crew to me.

JMU, UNH, UD, UMASS with another team sneaking in occasionally, last year Richmond, the year before W&M:boring:

I beg to differ. :nono: It wasn't that long ago that Villanova with Bryan Westbrook was tearing up the turf all throughout the A-10. Also, W&M is a good team every year. They may not make the playoffs every year, but they are known for having a high powered offensive attack year in and year out. Same goes for Hofstra.

That same old crew you mentioned only has one playoff team from last year, UNH. It's not sneaking in occasionally if every year different teams are making the playoffs and winning the league.

Case in point:
2002 - Maine and Northeastern Co-champs
2003 - Delaware and UMass Co-Champs
2004 - JMU and W&M Co-Champs
2005 - UR and UNH Co-Champs

If anyone else can point me to a league where 8 teams over a 4-year period dominate their respective leagues, then I'll start caring about people rolling their eyes when we say we have the deepest league top to bottom. :nod:

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:27 AM
No its not half the league it's five teams.
Percentage of the total 41.67%
about four points higher than the SoCon's big 3:smiley_wi

Come on, OL FU, trying to make a connection between the top of the A10 and the SoCon's Big 3 just won't fly. The top 3 in the SoCon (Furman, Appy St, GSU) have finished 1-2-3 in the SoCon 4 of the past 7 years, and the other 3 years Wofford broke into the mix, knocking one of the big 3 to only 4th place. Other than Wofford winning the title in 2003, you have to go back to 1992 to find the last time a current SoCon member not part of the Big 3 won the title. And those 4 teams from the SoCon are the only current football members to make the playoffs since again The Citadel in 1992. In that same period of time every A10 team except for URI and Towson (in Towson's defense this is only their 3rd year in the league) have made the playoffs, and almost everyone has won or shared the title since then. W&M can hardly be sneaking in as a johnny-come-lately - they do have the second best winning % alltime in the conference. Ain't anything like the Big 3 in the A10 - way too much depth and competitiveness.

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I beg to differ. :nono: It wasn't that long ago that Villanova with Bryan Westbrook was tearing up the turf all throughout the A-10. Also, W&M is a good team every year. They may not make the playoffs every year, but they are known for having a high powered offensive attack year in and year out. Same goes for Hofstra.

That same old crew you mentioned only has one playoff team from last year, UNH. It's not sneaking in occasionally if every year different teams are making the playoffs and winning the league.

Case in point:
2002 - Maine and Northeastern Co-champs
2003 - Delaware and UMass Co-Champs
2004 - JMU and W&M Co-Champs
2005 - UR and UNH Co-Champs

If anyone else can point me to a league where 8 teams over a 4-year period dominate their respective leagues, then I'll start caring about people rolling their eyes when we say we have the deepest league top to bottom. :nod:

Not to nitpick, but there were tri-champions in 2004 - JMU, W&M, and Delaware. All were 7-1 in conference games that year. ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Not to nitpick, but there were tri-champions in 2004 - JMU, W&M, and Delaware. All were 7-1 in conference games that year. ;)

Doh!! :bang: My bad, you are correct. Just shows that much more depth, eh?

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Doh!! :bang: My bad, you are correct. Just shows that much more depth, eh?

Preaching to the choir.

th0m
August 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM
The fact that there hasn't been a single outright champion in the last 4 years alone shows the parity to me. Obviously us A-10 fans will always give the "we're deep", "an A-10 5-6 record is like a winning record in any other conference" and stuff like that, but you can't say that it's totally unfounded. And because we think our own conference is that great doesn't mean that other conferences aren't great either, you know ;)

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You guys are funny:smiley_wi

89Hen
August 10th, 2006, 12:34 PM
You've been hanging around Cap'tCat too much OL FU. Trying to encite riots just so you can sit back and watch the carnage. :nono: :p

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM
You've been hanging around Cap'tCat too much OL FU. Trying to encite riots just so you can sit back and watch the carnage. :nono: :p

:o :o :o

I just enjoy watching you guys defend the A-10 like a lioness protecting her cubs:nod: :nod: :nod:

:o

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM
The fact that there hasn't been a single outright champion in the last 4 years alone shows the parity to me. Obviously us A-10 fans will always give the "we're deep", "an A-10 5-6 record is like a winning record in any other conference" and stuff like that, but you can't say that it's totally unfounded. And because we think our own conference is that great doesn't mean that other conferences aren't great either, you know ;)

The fact that there has not been a sinlge outright champion shows that you have 12 teams in your conference:eyebrow:

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 12:52 PM
:o :o :o

I just enjoy watching you guys defend the A-10 like a lioness protecting her cubs:nod: :nod: :nod:

:o

Nauseating, but, curiously entertaining, I say.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
August 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I just enjoy watching you guys defend the A-10 like a lioness protecting her cubs:nod:
Maybe it's I who has been hanging around Cat too much as I am now suspicious of every comment and their intent. You know I'm usually up for jumping in this one, but I had my suspicions on this one from the start. :p

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Maybe it's I who has been hanging around Cat too much as I am now suspicious of every comment and their intent. You know I'm usually up for jumping in this one, but I had my suspicions on this one from the start. :p

Either I am too easy to see through or you are too experienced in seeing. xlolx xlolx

But I do wonder with Richmond being taken this seriously is that a sign of how far the A-10 has fallen:eyebrow:

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Either I am too easy to see through or you are too experienced in seeing. xlolx xlolx

But I do wonder with Richmond being taken this seriously is that a sign of how far the A-10 has fallen:eyebrow:

Or you could look at it the other way and say if Western Carolina is being taken that seriously has the Southern fallen too? ;)

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Or you could look at it the other way and say if Western Carolina is being taken that seriously has the Southern fallen too? ;)

:hurray:

I was thinking the same damn thing.xlolx xlolx xlolx
but nobody is picking them above fourth:p :D

except Mr C. maybe he thinks they are Harvardxlolx

89Hen
August 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM
except Mr C. maybe he thinks they are Harvardxlolx

89Hen
August 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Funny you should mention them. I'm on record calling them overrated. Good D, but I think their offense will lose them more than a couple of games. :twocents:

DTSpider
August 10th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Ouch!

It's not exactly like you killed us last year in the playoffs either. If not for a few drops by the UR wideouts that game could have been very different. I seem to remember a lot of Furman fans being thankful that game wasn't 5 miuntes longer as well. I'm not saying we'll be real good, but to call the A10 bad because Richmond is considered to be in contention seems a bit much.

OL FU
August 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Ouch!

It's not exactly like you killed us last year in the playoffs either. If not for a few drops by the UR wideouts that game could have been very different. I seem to remember a lot of Furman fans being thankful that game wasn't 5 miuntes longer as well. I'm not saying we'll be real good, but to call the A10 bad because Richmond is considered to be in contention seems a bit much.

you guys had a good first quarter, by the time the fourth quarter rolled around we were thinking of ASU:nod:

PS I am just kidding:smiley_wi

Which is why I moved to the smack board, come on over, 89 is slipping a little. I think the Cat wore him out on the polical boards:nod: