PDA

View Full Version : SoCon spring meetings

GSU Eagle
May 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM
They are being held today (5/31) through Thursday. It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of these meetings.

rokamortis
May 31st, 2005, 07:43 AM
Keep us posted if you hear anything. From all of the talk I expect the 'wait and see' approach as far as expansion, but it would be interesting to see what is said, if anything.

Mr. C
May 31st, 2005, 08:59 AM
It is probably more likely that they will focus on a game plan for choosing a new commissioner, though I was told that there would be discussion of expansion topics on the agenda. I'd expect the No. 2 man Geoff Cabe to be named as interim commissioner again (as he was when Alfred White left) as the SoCon starts to search for a new commissioner.

GSU Eagle
May 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM
It would be nice if the commissioner or acting commissioner would give a "State of the SoCon" address each year after the Spring meetings. All of us have to rely on 2nd or 3rd hand information or pure rumor.

catamount man
May 31st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Please keep us posted. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

chattanoogamocs
June 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
from the Spring Meetings...

Southern Conference Names 2004-05 Athletes of the Year

HILTON HEAD ISLAND , SC -- The Southern Conference on Wednesday named its Athletes of the Year for the 2004-05 season. Appalachian State football player DaVon Fowlkes received the Bob Waters Male Athlete of the Year Award.

Fowlkes, a senior from Fort Wayne , Indiana (Snider HS) was a standout football player for Appalachian State the last four years. As a wide receiver and kick returner, he finished third in the voting for the Walter Payton Award which is given annually to the top offensive player in NCAA Division I-AA. He was a consensus All-America selection, earning first team honors from Associated Press , The Sports Network, Walter Camp , College Sports Report , and the Football Gazette while earning Offensive Player of the Year honors from I-AA.Org and Receiver of the Year from College Sports Report .

Fowlkes led Division I-AA with 103 receptions, 1,618 yards and 2,313 all-purpose yards. He set Southern Conference records for receptions in a season, receiving yards in a season, receiving yards in a game (280), most 100-yard receiving games in a season (7), most consecutive 100-yard receiving games (3), most 200-yard receiving games in a season (3), most all-purpose yards in a game (342), most all-purpose yards in a season and most punt return yards in a career (1,276).

Fowlkes is currently a member of the Indianapolis Colts, having signed with the NFL club as a free agent. He earned his degree in information systems from Appalachian State in December.

Davidson basketball swingman Brendan Winters, who led the Wildcats to a 16-0 conference record, the SoCon South Division title and a spot in the NIT, was the runner-up for the award. Randi Patterson of UNC Greensboro, who was the SoCon’s men’s soccer Player of the Year and an All-America, finished third.

EagleCrusade
June 1st, 2005, 10:01 PM
It took two days for them to determine that?*

With all the rain we have been having down here, what could they possibly be doing in Hilton Head?

*note: above comments are not to be taken seriously.

Mr. C
June 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM
It would be nice if the commissioner or acting commissioner would give a "State of the SoCon" address each year after the Spring meetings. All of us have to rely on 2nd or 3rd hand information or pure rumor.
That indeed would be a nice idea.

By the way, DaVon Fowlkes is the first ASU to win the Bob Waters Award since Dexter Coakley earned it in 1997. Couldn't have gone to a better guy.

FU97
June 2nd, 2005, 07:13 AM
To be fair to the fairer sex, a Furman women's tennis player won the female athlete award.

chattanoogamocs
June 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
I just cut it out because it had nothing to do with football (just like I wouldn't have posted it on here period if a football player had not won). :)

Congrats to Hagood on her accomplishment...the runner up was 3x All-American Shannon Wommack (XC and track) at Chattanooga. She is going for here 4th AA title in about 2 weeks.

FU97
June 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
I just cut it out because it had nothing to do with football (just like I wouldn't have posted it on here period if a football player had not won). :)

Congrats to Hagood on her accomplishment...the runner up was 3x All-American Shannon Wommack (XC and track) at Chattanooga. She is going for here 4th AA title in about 2 weeks.

I know. Just wanted to give props to FU when I could. Wonder if they will talk about FU's baseball team in the NCAA Tourney at the SoCon meetings? :D

Baldy
June 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Wonder if they will talk about FU's baseball team in the NCAA Tourney at the SoCon meetings? :D

Prolly after they talk about GSU currently being in 2nd place at the NCAA DI Golf Championships. :D :p

catamount man
June 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
An App.State man winning an award named after a former WCU football coach?! I love it! Seriously, Fowlkes deserved it. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GSU Eagle
June 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
I have read bits and pieces about the SoCon spring meetings, but have seen no mention of expansion at all. I guess it was not really discussed. About the only thing of substance I have seen coming out of the meetings is that an interim commission was named and it was decided in basketball to seed teams 1-11 based on winning percentage instead of doing the pairings by division as it has been done before. Teams will still play each team in its division twice however and teams in the other division once.

GSU Eagle
June 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
From reading an article in the local paper concerning the SoCon meetings it was said that expansion was discussed by that there is no unanimous candidate for expansion at the present time. The conference appears divided roughly in half over Coastal's candidacy. It appears the conference is content to go forward as an 11 team conference with 8 football playing schools.

I still don't have a real good sense of what schools are actually opposing Coastal, but it is rumored that the South Carolina schools lead the opposition.

rokamortis
June 6th, 2005, 06:45 AM
If it is that many schools that don't want us then there is no need in worrying about it anymore.

Thanks for the update Eagle.

OL FU
June 6th, 2005, 07:46 AM
If it is that many schools that don't want us then there is no need in worrying about it anymore.

Thanks for the update Eagle.

And if that is really the case, I hate to see it because it potentially speaks volumes as to the fractures within the conference.