PDA

View Full Version : Stony brook at-large bid

SBUFAN33
October 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
If army and Syracuse finishes with a winning record and Colgate wins out, what are the chances of the brook getting an at-large bid if they were to lose to liberty if liberty is undefeated when we meet?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I think a 9-2 SBU and a 10-1 Lehigh are a lock for the playoffs assuming a competitve loss and no major injuries. The ONLY thing that could hurt SBU is the 1 D2 game. I just can't see it carrying much negative weight.

From a phone

frozennorth
October 10th, 2012, 09:22 PM
9-2 sbu would probably make it

Hawk98
October 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
They should be in even with a Liberty loss, but ending your season with a loss can be detrimental to at-large status. They ought to be fine, but a 24-3 type loss could cost them.

danefan
October 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
They should be in, but it really epends on who else is out there from power conferences.

SBU will be 8-2 in the eyes of the committee as the DII win won't count.

And assuming Army wins another game this season is a huge assumption.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
They should be in even with a Liberty loss, but ending your season with a loss can be detrimental to at-large status. They ought to be fine, but a 24-3 type loss could cost them.

Turner Gill will have the Flames running the wrong way by then. The Chanticleers are the biggest threat imo.

MTfan4life
October 11th, 2012, 03:35 AM
It's hard to tell. I know Liberty was 8-3 when this happened, but they were snubbed just two years ago even though they had a FBS win on their schedule. One would think they'd be in for sure, but you can never be completely sure when playing in a non-Big 6 conference.

Changed BCS to FBS

URMite
October 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
If army and Syracuse finishes with a winning record and Colgate wins out, what are the chances of the brook getting an at-large bid if they were to lose to liberty if liberty is undefeated when we meet?

Considering Army & Liberty are both 1-4, this scenario seems unlikely. Do you mean Liberty goes undefeated in conference?

I think an SBU team that beat Army and loss to Syracuse & a 7-4 Liberty (AQ?) has a very good chance.

wapiti
October 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Stony Brook may find that seneriao difficult this year.
Because what if several of the other FCS teams that beat a FBS do not earn an AQ.
There are 4 teams in the Big Sky that have a win over an FBS, but only one will get the AQ and that one may not have a win over a FBS.
So should Stony Brook get an invite over 3 or 4 Big Sky teams? I do not think so.

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
It's hard to tell. I know Liberty was 8-3 when this happened, but they were snubbed just two years ago even though they had a BCS win on their schedule. One would think they'd be in for sure, but you can never be completely sure when playing in a non-Big 6 conference.

Liberty had a win over Ball St., which is not a "BCS" win. That same year, 4-7 Gardner Webb had had an FBS win over Akron.

Stony Brook's win over Army is probably equivalent to Liberty's win over Ball St.

van
October 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
10-2 Stony Brook is in, mark it down.

MTfan4life
October 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Liberty had a win over Ball St., which is not a "BCS" win. That same year, 4-7 Gardner Webb had had an FBS win over Akron.

Stony Brook's win over Army is probably equivalent to Liberty's win over Ball St.

Whoops, that's my bad. I clearly meant FBS and have changed it now.

WileECoyote06
October 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
10-2 Stony Brook is in, mark it down.

Not so sure. Their SOS is currently the worst in all of FCS, and they won't have one signature win, unless Colgate or CCSU get their act together. I said in my SOS thread, that Stony Brook will be a hard sell with no auto-bid.

tingly
October 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Since the only way Stony Brook can be 10-2 is with a playoff win... See what Van did there?

BlueHenSinfonian
October 11th, 2012, 11:37 AM
At this point I don't see how SBU doesn't sweep the rest of their schedule. Even if they somehow manage to lose the autobid, any team with 7 D1 wins that includes a FBS win should make it into the playoff field.

TheValleyRaider
October 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I think at 9-2 (8-2 for playoff purposes), Stony Brook gets in. They'll have been Top 25 all year (barring a huge drop following a Big South loss), with an FBS win, possibly co-conference champs if the team that beats them stumbles along the way (hardly improbable with the rest of the Big South), and are coming off a good showing in last year's postseason. That shouldn't mean much, but it does give people a baseline to judge SB somewhat, and certainly won't hurt if they wind up in the at-large conversation

Also, that Liberty team got passed over in a 16 team field. With 20 teams, they might have been in. The extra at-large births may be enough to get SB and some of those other big conference teams in that couldn't have happened before

You should also root for Colgate to win the Patriot League, as beating a League champion always looks good to the Committee xnodx xsmiley_wix

putter
October 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I also believe how they played Sammy last year will go a long way in helping their cause. I don't know many people, including myself, that gave them a chance last year because of who they were and the conference they played in. They almost pulled the upset and showed a lot of people the quality of their program.

Seawolf97
October 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I want to see Army, Colgate and Syracuse keep winning. We still have to beat CCU this Saturday. One game at a time.

Go...gate
October 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM
IMO, 9-2 will get SBU in for an opening-round game.