PDA

View Full Version : Texas Southern On Probation (Again)

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Excerpt:

"In this case, the university allowed 129 student-athletes in 13 sports during seven academic years to compete and receive financial aid and travel expenses when they were ineligible. The majority of these student-athletes had not met progress toward degree or transfer requirements. The committee noted “particularly serious violations” occurred when the former head football coach knowingly allowed a booster to recruit for the football program and the former head men’s basketball coach provided false or misleading information during the investigation."

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/october/texas+southern+university+cited+for+lack+of+instit utional+control

Panther88
October 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Lack of (knowledgeable) compliance officers/personnel, IMHO. Zero accountability, during those time periods.

I don't throw cold water @ JCole or THarvey too much. They were brought in to coach and did that effectively, IMHO.

superman7515
October 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?119508-NCAA-punishes-Texas-Southern

Mr. C
October 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Lack of (knowledgeable) compliance officers/personnel, IMHO. Zero accountability, during those time periods.

I don't throw cold water @ JCole or THarvey too much. They were brought in to coach and did that effectively, IMHO.

Johnny Cole and his brother L.C. have a long record of rules violations at multiple universities.

dgtw
October 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I remember they made a mess at Alabama State a few years ago. Why do schools hire people like this?

Panther88
October 10th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I remember they made a mess at Alabama State a few years ago. Why do schools hire people like this?

Why don't schools afford oversight to ensure that the priors don't happen again? Are we all not in favor of 2nd chances if given the PROPER positioning and oversight for success?

superman7515
October 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Why don't schools afford oversight to ensure that the priors don't happen again? Are we all not in favor of 2nd chances if given the PROPER positioning and oversight for success?

Nope. If you are poor mouthing the NCAA about not having enough money for compliance and asking that your school be given special consideration when it comes to things like academic standards and rules because of your lack of funding (see the special treatment being asked of the NCAA for HBCU's as a whole) and then you feel you need to pay additional money to hire someone to watch the fox you've let loose in the hen house, don't hire the fox.

Panther88
October 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Nope. If you are poor mouthing the NCAA about not having enough money for compliance and asking that your school be given special consideration when it comes to things like academic standards and rules because of your lack of funding (see the special treatment being asked of the NCAA for HBCU's as a whole) and then you feel you need to pay additional money to hire someone to watch the fox you've let loose in the hen house, don't hire the fox.

When there is an apparent inequality in available/disposable athletic funds for participation via athletic budgets @ the D-I level FCS classification amongst member schools, I'd think those "poor mouthing" gripes are dead on. Compare budgets from top to bottom @ the FCS level. It's a huge disparity. Maybe a probable solution is a drop down in classification, I'm not sure.

Seems like some of your hen coops are fortified w/ brick/mortar - hence your athletic success(es) - and the rest of us have hay rope and bubble-gum strung together - hence the issues surrounding athletics.

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2012, 09:17 PM

"Second chances" may not be the best argument for TSU. Per the article:

"The committee noted that as a double repeat violator, Texas Southern either has been on probation or had violations occurring on campus, or both, for 16 of the past 20 years."

Panther88
October 10th, 2012, 10:26 PM
"Second chances" may not be the best argument for TSU. Per the article:

"The committee noted that as a double repeat violator, Texas Southern either has been on probation or had violations occurring on campus, or both, for 16 of the past 20 years."

Seems like for 16 of the past 20 years no one w/ competent hiring ability was in place. Eh?

Sonic98
October 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Simple answer is because they're stupid and don't see the big picture. Lets say a certain school loses to one of the Cole brothers 4 years in a row or they see one of the Cole brothers consistently beat some other team they've lost to 4 years in a row. When one of these guys gets into some kind of trouble, instead of say "we don't want any part of that mess they caused there they think, "If we hire them we can finally beat team A and team B." The days of recycling these coaches needs to end. You would think these kind of multiple offenses would make all schools be a little more picky about who they hire, but for some reason people think what happen to someone else won't happen to them, or that raising your standards is somehow a crime. It doesn't make you bad or give off the perception you're looking down on anyone just because you want better for your school

I don't think everything is about HBCU's asking for special treatment. Some of the exceptions and or changes made as it relates to APR have merit. If I start in Seattle, and you start in Houston, you can't expect us to make it to Miami at the same time. And if I have to constantly stop to rustle up gas money or tinker with your car, you really won't make it.