PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to the Red Flash...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2012, 09:48 AM
St Francis (PA) is 3-3, which ties 1993 and 2004 as their best record at this point of the season since joining the ranks of FCS/I-AA.

And if they go to Albany and beat the Great Danes, they will not only go 1-1 and throw the entire NEC title race on its ear, they'll have their greatest record at this point of the season as a Division I program, and the fist time since their last year in Division II, 1992, that they will have a winning record at this point in the season.

Good luck Red Flash!

crusader11
October 9th, 2012, 09:53 AM
It is nice to see St. Francis finding some success. Were there rumors of them dropping their program in recent years, or am I just making that up?

UAalum72
October 9th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Some people here wondered about that, due to SFU's lack of both success and attendance, but I've never seen evidence, especially since they rebuilt the Pine Bowl a few years ago.

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I don't think SFPA has ever discussed dropping football--it accounts for a significant percentage of male students (17%).

The number of wins is not always a precursor to dropping football--ask Hofstra.

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
They have a great head coach.

ngineer
October 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Some people here wondered about that, due to SFU's lack of both success and attendance, but I've never seen evidence, especially since they rebuilt the Pine Bowl a few years ago.

That's the name of their stadium? If it were the Pine Pan, they could be called a "Flash inthe Pan"....(;-)

crusader11
October 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
They have a great head coach.

Wow, didn't realize that Chris Villarrial had an 11 year NFL career. Pretty damn impressive.

UAalum72
October 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
That's the name of their stadium? If it were the Pine Pan, they could be called a "Flash inthe Pan"....(;-)

It was - renamed DeGol Field (and Father Bede Hines Track) in 2005. Large pine trees on the surrounding hills.1697316974

andy7171
October 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
It is nice to see St. Francis finding some success. Were there rumors of them dropping their program in recent years, or am I just making that up?

I think you are thinking of St. Peters.

aceinthehole
October 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM
St Francis (PA) is 3-3, which ties 1993 and 2004 as their best record at this point of the season since joining the ranks of FCS/I-AA.

And if they go to Albany and beat the Great Danes, they will not only go 1-1 and throw the entire NEC title race on its ear, they'll have their greatest record at this point of the season as a Division I program, and the fist time since their last year in Division II, 1992, that they will have a winning record at this point in the season.

Good luck Red Flash!

This should (hopefully) be a record breaking year for SFPA, but this week won't be much of a game.

They have been so bad that the Red Flash have not won more than 3 games total in a season, since 1992 (their last year as a D-II program). They do have a good chance to surpass as their best season in the NEC (2005) when they won 3 league games.

They opened the 2005 season 0-3 in non-conference play, but lost to Morehead St., St. Peter's, and LaSalle by a COMBINED TOTAL of just 6 points.

They then went on to finish with their best-ever record in the NEC (3-4). They actually won their first 2 NEC games that year vs. RMU and CCSU. They would also beat Monmouth later in the year and dropped 3 other NEC games by less than 9 points each. Their worst league loss was a respectable 18-point setback at Stony Brook.

However, beating Albany is going to be a very tall order. Not only is Albany a very good team this year, but they are undefeated in 13 games vs. the Red Flash. The Danes have recorded 3 shoutouts of SFPA, and the Flash have never scored more than 21 points against UA. Albany's lowest output vs. SFPA is 24 points, but UA has put up 40+ points in 8 of their 13 meetsings.

downbythebeach
October 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
SFU hasn't had a winning record in some of our player's life times. I believe it was our last year in D III in 1992. Our administration is pretty serious about getting a better product, but we have such limited resources and are in a very rural and economically slow area. It a hard battle.
Either way, I think that the credit all has to go to everyone involved, but most of all to Coach Villarrial, who has been able to bring in money and better recruits to the program, and has a good game plan week in and week out.

hidalgo
October 10th, 2012, 11:20 PM
They have improved but don't have a passing game whatsoever.........needed this game to be in november maybe a snowstorm would help.

downbythebeach
October 11th, 2012, 10:55 AM
They have improved but don't have a passing game whatsoever.........needed this game to be in november maybe a snowstorm would help.

The crazy thing is they should. They have a QB who played (scout team) at Penn State, and a WR who had a scholarship at Florida State. They have a lot of receivers returning from last year, but they can't manage to get it together. We could have put a scare in Towson had we been able to catch the damn ball. We dropped two easy tds, one on the first play completely wide open. Wannabe playoff teams cannot make those mistakes.