PDA

View Full Version : OVC Break Down

Skyhawk71
October 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Most Likely to win the OVC- not TSU (6-0)
1. EKU is done with JSU, UTM and TSU and went 2-1, only test will be EIU
2. JSU blew it at EKU, got dumped from the top 25, but still can win out with some tough road games- host TSU in Jacksonville
3. UTM/EIU/MSU- whomever can get hot will have a wild outside shot at the OVC Championship
TSU- @ Jax State @ UTM will be tough, but they do not have to play EIU this season (only team in conference to play 7 instead of 8)
* If it all falls apart like 2011- there would be four teams with a chance at the title in week 11- let's hope that does not happen

* Just found this forum- like it- mostly I just posted because I don't see any OVC people on here and thought I might find some with a post xsmileyclapx

dbackjon
October 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Welcome!!

Skyhawk71
October 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Thank you sir

OSRacer
October 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Ought to be a crazy finish. I think there are several solid teams in the OVC. UTM is a very good team and I think the winner of Saturdays Murray UTM game will come out of it and win the conference.

Skyhawk71
October 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
That could definitely happen, I just hope for the first time since 1994 its a good game- every game since then has an average differential of 29 points either way.........It's never a good game no matter who wins & that makes no sense

dgtw
October 8th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Jax State fan here (wife is a grad), welcome to the board. I grew up in Florence and wish the OVC had let UNA in, miss the old Gulf South days.

Not sure what happened gaainst EKU, we fell apart there. A slow start Saturday but came back to beat TTU. We really can't afford to lose another game with Florida on the schedule to make the playoffs. Wish we could have played Georgia State again instead of picking up the late game with Arkansas.

Skyhawk71
October 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm a big fan of the Good ole' Gulf South Days myself, I think UNA would have been a great addition, but when you host the DII National Championship every year........I don't see a good reason to move up.......besides the powers that be want the OVC to be a basketball conference, thus the addition of Belmont and SIUE; now Belmont and Murray can battle it out amongst schools that really don't care that much about basketball.........

dgtw
October 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Well, UNA should have left when JSU, Troy and UTM were leaving, probably too late now. The DII game is nice, but being FCS does have more sex appeal and the GSC isn't what it used to be.

Skyhawk71
October 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Agreed, I like Florence and UNA, and it would be another close game for UTM, MSU, APSU and SEMO, obvious regional rival w JSU- the Gulf South has fallen apart.....huge conference with not many football teams......I know they are all still good, but looking back UNA would definitely fit in better in the OVC now than the new GSC

Bam
October 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Eku MUST win out and become fans of JSU and Murray. Sad but true!

roTSU50
October 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
NO worries guys. We are going undefeated this year. No reason for anyone else to get excited. Beat one of the best teams in the OVC, but still can't get picked to win, The funny illogical folks in the OVC.

roTSU50
October 8th, 2012, 11:11 PM
A lot of football left.

Skyhawk71
October 9th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Not really, illogical, TSU still has to play @ JSU, @ UTM and TTU, MSU, and SEMO; if the Tigers run through that undefeated, then Champs it is..........

mamberso
October 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
TSU - Very impressed by their win over EKU last week. Michael German looks very good, and he is only a sophomore. But...TSU will not go undefeated this week. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see SEMO get them this week. That's the nature of this conference.

EKU - Still the best team in the conference, in my opinion. Big test remain against EIU and Murray, both at home. I don't think EKU will lose again in the regular season.

UTM - Surprised a lot of people (not me). I think Derek Carr is easily the most underrated QB in the conference. Didn't know the defense was going to be this good. If Martin beats TSU the final week of the regular season, they punch their ticket...barring a mid-season collapse.

JSU - Maybe the biggest unknown in the conference right now. Inconsistency is the word that comes to mind, except against EKU where they were consistently bad. The defense will have to get better in a hurry, as JSU faces some very good offenses in the coming four weeks.

EIU - Explosive, explosive offense. If they could only play a little defense. The cracks have started to show over the past couple of weeks, and I'm starting to wonder if EIU might be starting to head south. Huge statement game this weekend at home vs. JSU.

Murray - Casey Brockman is the man. But the question with MSU is always, can they stop a good offense? Like JSU, they have a brutal four game stretch coming up. We will know a lot about Murray in the next couple of weeks.

SEMO - I still think Tony Samuel is one of the best coaches in this league. They do what they have to do to stay competitive, which is play good special teams and control the ball. Unfortunately, they don't have much talent. Look out this week TSU. After an emotional win over EKU, TSU has to go on the road against a mediocre team that had a bye last week.

TTU - Watson Brown said today that Tech has 57 guys on the injury list. I don't know if he sold his soul for that championship last season, but some supernatural force seems to be playing against the Golden Eagles. Their starting QB (Tre Lamb) is playing with a grade 3 separated shoulder. Their high profile transfer (Da'Rick Rogers) was banged up last week, taking away what little punch their offense had. It's going to be a long season in Cookeville.

Austin Peay - Look, I'm a JSU fan, which means I have to deal with the criticism our basketball program receives for its lack of focus and success. AP is this in football. I understand what it must be like to be an AP fan. They will likely win one game, against Culver-Stockton. Enjoy Governors.

ekufbfan
October 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
OSRacer;1862590]Ought to be a crazy finish. I think there are several solid teams in the OVC. UTM is a very good team and I think the winner of Saturdays Murray UTM game will come out of it and win the conference

HUH? That's quite an out there prediction given that MSU has already lost to EIU and UTM lost to EKU. I would not make that kind of prediction regarding EKU as we just lost to TSU. Today, right now, TSU is in the drivers seat. It is their's to lose. TSU is not 5-0 because they are lucky, they have a good team. We know anything can happen, but Murray still has to come to Richmond. You may beat our butts, but then again you may not and you have to beat us (and a few more, including TSU) before you can claim any championship.

TTUEagles
October 9th, 2012, 07:06 PM
TSU -

TTU - Watson Brown said today that Tech has 57 guys on the injury list. I don't know if he sold his soul for that championship last season, but some supernatural force seems to be playing against the Golden Eagles. Their starting QB (Tre Lamb) is playing with a grade 3 separated shoulder. Their high profile transfer (Da'Rick Rogers) was banged up last week, taking away what little punch their offense had. It's going to be a long season in Cookeville.

I'll comment on this since I won't have much to say the rest of the year. Injuries have been a big part of TTU's demise thus far, but going in to 2013, I thought a 7-4 season would be the upper limit. Getting Da'Rick changed that some for me, but I was worried all along about the defense. TTU has already lost 2 "O" starters for the year and the best secondary player is again (missed 2011, also) out for the year. I'm not sure why the backup QB isn't playing, he was highly recruited and I think has looked good as a dual-threat option. If your starting QB has separated his shoulder x 2 already, senior-year aside, I say play the #2. Maybe there is something going on that I don't know about. But, the defense is just terrible, getting no pressure on good QB's, secondary is awful, and I think some of the better players are playing the wrong positions for them...
On offense, 2 of the original starting WR's have missed the past 3 games, 1 is out for the season. Have missed our top 2 RB's for several games, etc., etc., etc.
It's just really disappointing to go from the championship team (good team for TTU, young team and EKU and down years for EIU & Jax. St. in my opinion) to this...Makes me not care anymore about this season.

OSRacer
October 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM
HUH? That's quite an out there prediction given that MSU has already lost to EIU and UTM lost to EKU. I would not make that kind of prediction regarding EKU as we just lost to TSU. Today, right now, TSU is in the drivers seat. It is their's to lose. TSU is not 5-0 because they are lucky, they have a good team. We know anything can happen, but Murray still has to come to Richmond. You may beat our butts, but then again you may not and you have to beat us (and a few more, including TSU) before you can claim any championship.

I agree, it is out there....seriously. It is my opinion. I know EKU is very good, TSU is for real, JSU is always very talented, UTM may have the best defense, EIU is back and is very well coached...I just think if Murray State stays healthy that we're going to play for the OVC championship. That said, if we lose Saturday this all goes out the window. I am extremely biased. For all I know we may get blown out Saturday. I'm not claiming the championship, just my opinion....

Skyhawk71
October 10th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I'll comment on this since I won't have much to say the rest of the year. Injuries have been a big part of TTU's demise thus far, but going in to 2013, I thought a 7-4 season would be the upper limit. Getting Da'Rick changed that some for me, but I was worried all along about the defense. TTU has already lost 2 "O" starters for the year and the best secondary player is again (missed 2011, also) out for the year. I'm not sure why the backup QB isn't playing, he was highly recruited and I think has looked good as a dual-threat option. If your starting QB has separated his shoulder x 2 already, senior-year aside, I say play the #2. Maybe there is something going on that I don't know about. But, the defense is just terrible, getting no pressure on good QB's, secondary is awful, and I think some of the better players are playing the wrong positions for them...
On offense, 2 of the original starting WR's have missed the past 3 games, 1 is out for the season. Have missed our top 2 RB's for several games, etc., etc., etc.
It's just really disappointing to go from the championship team (good team for TTU, young team and EKU and down years for EIU & Jax. St. in my opinion) to this...Makes me not care anymore about this season.

Hang in there TTUEAGLES............sounds exactly like UTM's 2007, I know your pain