PDA

View Full Version : SNW: Southland - Quarterbacks, schedules help create wide-open race

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Here's the SLC preview from The Sports Network's Matt D. Lots of talk about the QB situation in the SLC as Matt D notes the SLC has no second teamer, which was brought up when the teams came out...and who could forget the OOC schedules we'll see?

Southland - Quarterbacks, schedules help create wide-open race

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The first-team quarterback in the Southland Conference made two starts, threw for 704 yards and tossed five touchdown passes last year. And he played for the league’s last-place team.

The second-team quarterback....well, apparently none of the Southland teams could spin their potential starter’s limited success enough to justify a nomination, because there is no second-team quarterback.

Inexperience across the board at the most important position on the field is a critical factor in making the Southland race the most intriguing and unpredictable heading into the 2006 season. There are a few teams with players that have limited starting experience, as Mark Fontenot (McNeese State), Chase Wasson (Texas State) and Wade Pate (Sam Houston State) have a few starts under their belt. Ricky Jo Meeks (Northwestern State), Seth Babin (Southeastern Louisiana) and Vincent Montgomery (Nicholls State) have barely even set foot on the field, and some of the signal-callers still face at least limited competition for the starting role in the fall.

And what about your first-team quarterback? Stephen F. Austin’s Danny Southall might have the most potential in the group, but he’ll work behind a new offensive line on a team that is predicted to finish in the basement again.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4033400.htm

BEAR
July 31st, 2006, 06:57 PM
And just to think UCA picked up a SFA QB this year......

July 31st, 2006, 06:59 PM
... By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor...wonder what happened to EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF I-AA FOOTBALL?

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2006, 07:38 PM
wonder what happened to EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF I-AA FOOTBALL?

Ralph = Exec Director of I-AA Football :confused:

blackfordpu
July 31st, 2006, 09:49 PM
We are in trouble if Pate is our "offensive star".:eek:

golionsgo
July 31st, 2006, 10:16 PM
We are in trouble if Pate is our "offensive star".:eek:

He has Seth Babin as our offensive star and there's no guarantee he'll be the starter. I think he's just picking the QB because the nature of our offenses.

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
Is it me....or are those the same projections in Phil Steele's Pac-10 regional magazine???

I know for a fact that both of those picked us to finish 5th in the Southland Conference. They BOTH also picked McNeese to finish 1st.

:read: I smell plagirism....:read:

mikebigg
August 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM
I saw clips of Seth Babin when he played at St Amant in high school. They ran a wide open spread offense. He seemed to be a good passer...but that was high school. I expect Southeastern to be run oriented with Jay Lucas and Ken Perry having transferred in from TxA&M and Ole Miss respectively.

Most of the other SLC schools (at least the La ones) are ground oriented anyway...especially Nichols.

GeauxColonels
August 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM
I saw clips of Seth Babin when he played at St Amant in high school. They ran a wide open spread offense. He seemed to be a good passer...but that was high school. I expect Southeastern to be run oriented with Jay Lucas and Ken Perry having transferred in from TxA&M and Ole Miss respectively.

Most of the other SLC schools (at least the La ones) are ground oriented anyway...especially Nichols.
Sure are....2nd ranked rushing offense in I-AA in 2005...we rushed for 408yds against Indiana in Bloomington last year.

Oh yeah, Nicholls has 2 Ls!!!!

HPCAT
August 1st, 2006, 03:32 PM
The exception might be TXST, which was pretty balanced last year (228 - Rushing, 211 - Passing) and should be again this year.

Bobcat94
August 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM
Not saying which teams, but I I think two SLC teams beat I-A teams this year, if not three.

GeauxColonels
August 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Not saying which teams, but I I think two SLC teams beat I-A teams this year, if not three.
So you think Nicholls State beats Nebraska and LaTech while Northwestern State sweeps its I-A opponents, do you? :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GeauxLions94
August 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah, Nicholls has 2 Ls!!!!

Nebraska and Louisiana Tech for sure ... after that who knows :D

FYI, JK ... saw the 2L's and had to run with it

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 06:17 PM

I think it would be great for I-AA and the SLC if we see some wins over I-As...

In general, there's a good shot for the I-AAs to get some wins this year with more opprotunities than ever before. Problem is, a good deal of SLC plays two or three I-A games, so they may not have enough in the tank in the later games...

McNeese75
August 1st, 2006, 06:22 PM
I think it would be great for I-AA and the SLC if we see some wins over I-As...

In general, there's a good shot for the I-AAs to get some wins this year with more opprotunities than ever before. Problem is, a good deal of SLC plays two or three I-A games, so they may not have enough in the tank in the later games...

A win or two over the I-A's would be great, BUT, I would much rather see everyone run the table against the OOC I-AA teams :nod: :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 06:28 PM
A win or two over the I-A's would be great, BUT, I would much rather see everyone run the table against the OOC I-AA teams :nod: :thumbsup:

Not as many OOC I-AA games as I think any of us would like...heck, SHSU is playing two I-As and two Div IIs (one of whom is UCA) with only one OOC against a I-AA, Missouri St...

SLC could use the OOC wins though. Games against GWFC and Gateway definitely loom large on the schedule. Those conferences (along with the A10 which doesn't play the SLC typically and the Big Sky which is missing this year in the mix) are the big dogs and we got to get some wins there. Would be nice to get three teams in the playoffs again! :)

There's only ten games though with six GWFC games being featured...

SLC OOC Games (not including UCA games, versus I-AAs)

September 16
Delaware State at Northwestern State Natchitoches, La. 6:00
Northern Colorado at Texas State San Marcos, Texas 6:00
Jacksonville at Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, La. 6:00

September 23
South Dakota State at Nicholls State Thibodaux, La. 2:00
Texas State at Southern Utah Cedar City, Utah 6:00
Sam Houston State at Missouri State Springfield, Mo. 7:00

September 30
North Dakota State at Stephen F. Austin Nacogdoches, Texas 6:00
Gardner-Webb at Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, La. 6:00
South Dakota State at McNeese State Lake Charles, La. 7:00

October 7
Southern Utah at McNeese State Lake Charles, La. 7:00

HPCAT
August 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
TXST plays a Big Sky game against UNC, and we play TSU from the SWAC on 11/11/06.

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2006, 08:00 PM
TXST plays a Big Sky game against UNC, and we play TSU from the SWAC on 11/11/06.

Doh! Forgot NoCo was in the Big Sky...

Texas Southern, do they really count? They'll be a more interesting story off the field than on with all the problems large and small they're having...

golionsgo
August 1st, 2006, 10:49 PM

Seth will do just fine if he's the starter but his younger brother Brian has more physical ability and we have a true freshman coming in who has been compared to Martin Hankins. He just so happened to have played for Dennis Roland in high school and has two years experience running the Air Raid offense already. He won't have to learn a new system.

While I completely agree we'll run the ball more with Lucas and Perry, I don't see us as being run oriented. Balanced would probably be a better term. We're still gonna chunk it!!!

GeauxLions94
August 2nd, 2006, 12:00 AM
We're still gonna chunk it!!!

From the moment we get off the bus, though our ground game has the most depth - by a very wide margin - we've had since bringing the program back.

GLG, "Meet the Coach" is Wednesday in Baton Rouge. Are you making it?

blackfordpu
August 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
So you think Nicholls State beats Nebraska and LaTech while Northwestern State sweeps its I-A opponents, do you? :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Don't forget the Kats have a shot against SMU!:)

UCABEARS75
August 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Not as many OOC I-AA games as I think any of us would like...heck, SHSU is playing two I-As and two Div IIs (one of whom is UCA) with only one OOC against a I-AA, Missouri St...

SLC could use the OOC wins though. Games against GWFC and Gateway definitely loom large on the schedule. Those conferences (along with the A10 which doesn't play the SLC typically and the Big Sky which is missing this year in the mix) are the big dogs and we got to get some wins there. Would be nice to get three teams in the playoffs again! :)

There's only ten games though with six GWFC games being featured...

SLC OOC Games (not including UCA games, versus I-AAs)

September 16
Delaware State at Northwestern State Natchitoches, La. 6:00

Northern Colorado at Texas State San Marcos, Texas 6:00
Jacksonville at Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, La. 6:00

September 23
South Dakota State at Nicholls State Thibodaux, La. 2:00
Texas State at Southern Utah Cedar City, Utah 6:00
Sam Houston State at Missouri State Springfield, Mo. 7:00

September 30
North Dakota State at Stephen F. Austin Nacogdoches, Texas 6:00
Gardner-Webb at Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, La. 6:00
South Dakota State at McNeese State Lake Charles, La. 7:00

October 7
Southern Utah at McNeese State Lake Charles, La. 7:00

So, do we get extra brownie points if we win OOC game vs. Division I-aa opponent?

Bobcat94
August 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
You'd think the SLC has a good shot at an OOC sweep at least a very good record against OOC. We could very well see three teams from the SLC in the playoffs this year. If we don't beat each other up on the way.........:D

Prominent0ne
August 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
we have a true freshman coming in who has been compared to Martin Hankins.

I think you guys are putting entirely too much stock into a true freshman 5'10, 175 lb QB. I've read many of posts on the delphi forums that some of you guys just automatically think that he's just going to come in and do what Hankins did.

You guys have to remember, Hankins was the Mississippi state passing career leader. He was a I-A QB (that's obvious with him transferring to Memphis) that happened to fall into a system he liked with a I-A coach, in Mumme.

As for the Babin brothers, I do remember that Brian was a little more "spoken about" coming out of high school.

I think if you guys don't take advantage of the running game that you have there, they are nuts. Why take a chance on a true freshman QB that is already heralded by the fans for some reason. (Just because he ran the same offense in high schoolxidiotx )

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM

If that happens.....I'm running for President:rotateh:

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
So, do we get extra brownie points if we win OOC game vs. Division I-aa opponent?

Definitely looks good on the SLC and will help the conference out come 2007 if you guys come in ready to play some I-AA...

BaylorTitan
August 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM

...........and I will be very put out with Baylor football.

GeauxLions94
August 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
I think you guys are putting entirely too much stock into a true freshman 5'10, 175 lb QB. I've read many of posts on the delphi forums that some of you guys just automatically think that he's just going to come in and do what Hankins did.

You guys have to remember, Hankins was the Mississippi state passing career leader. He was a I-A QB (that's obvious with him transferring to Memphis) that happened to fall into a system he liked with a I-A coach, in Mumme.

As for the Babin brothers, I do remember that Brian was a little more "spoken about" coming out of high school.

I think if you guys don't take advantage of the running game that you have there, they are nuts. Why take a chance on a true freshman QB that is already heralded by the fans for some reason. (Just because he ran the same offense in high schoolxidiotx )

No, not really putting too much stock in Schlosser. The past three years, we've had QB's (especially when Hal Mumme was coach) who were expected to carry the offense. When Dennis Roland took over, he expected a lot out of Trey Willie (since there was no depth at running back) and he got better as the season went along.

This season, with the addition of Jay Lucas and Kendrick Perry (plus returning letterwinners Mario Gilbert and Sam Savoy plus newcomers Matt Betts, Dremell Adams and Chris Jones), we have our most depth at RB since bringing back the program and look to be more balanced and take more pressure off the QB.

BaylorTitan
August 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry to change topics, but does anyone have a list of SLC games on TV for this year?

golionsgo
August 2nd, 2006, 10:36 PM

Bradd Schlosser is every bit of 6-0 tall if not 6-1 and is the same size Hankins was coming out of high school. He's very similar in passing ability and had similar high school statistics against tougher competition. He also had the benefit of playing two seasons in the Air Raid offense which Hankins did not. That said, no one expects Schlosser to automatically do anything other than come in and compete. If he's the best guy, I'm sure Coach Roland will give him an opportunity, if not, he'll be a backup and probably redshirt.

As far running the ball, there's no doubt we're going to run the ball more but if you knew what we have coming back and coming in at WR, you wouldn't ditch the passing game either. But the running game will help balance things out take pressure off of a new starter.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Sorry to change topics, but does anyone have a list of SLC games on TV for this year?

I'm looking but don't see any yet.....Have you tried the Southland Conference Website??

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2006, 06:25 AM

Not announced yet to my knowledge...

FSN must be waiting on all those TV windows with the folks they got the national and regional deals with (i.e Pac-10 and Big XII) for this neck of the woods...

Brent
August 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
The TV schedule hasnt been approved yet by the commish. Should be anyday now.

GeauxColonels
August 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
And if it happens....I'll actually PULL for anyone associated with Northwestern State...hell, I MAY even vote for you too!

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
The TV schedule hasnt been approved yet by the commish. Should be anyday now.

I'm crossing my fingers that SFA-SHSU and TxSt-SHSU are on the television. You can typically expect SFA/NWSt and SHSU/SFA on the television schedule. Interested to see what role CSTV plays in the SLC coverage this year...

BaylorTitan
August 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
I hope McNeese-NW St. will be on.

Prominent0ne
August 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM

I'll probably be in Nachitoches.xlolx :hurray:

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'll probably be in Nachitoches.xlolx :hurray:

I know I will....:hurray:

Just Keep The NSU vs NSU game off of TV (since it's "down there").

No offense to GeauxColonels....But...

WE'RE CURSED DOWN THERE!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Apparently....This years game will start at 6 pm (I expect that to change)....It's usually on FSN or CSTV.

NSUDemon98
August 4th, 2006, 09:42 PM

My wife and I will both be there for the game...I am excited.

We'll also be in Waco with my parents[both Demon grads] and my brother.

BEAR
August 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Anyone know if their game (any CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION team :thumbsup: ) against us will be on TV? I have TV on the net too so if it's on I can usually get it...thanks! It might be out of my pocket book to fly to the Dakotaland and California to catch the games! ......sorry UC Davis fans..I know you wanted to see some purple there! xlolx

Demon Fan
August 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I'm looking but don't see any yet.....Have you tried the Southland Conference Website??

Frosty, I spoke with Greg Burke last Monday at an alumni event and he indicated that the games he had heard mentioned for possible TV broadcast were our games with Kansas, Delaware State, and Sam Houston State. However, it is like Texas Terror said, it all depends on windows of time that remain after the I-A games are given "first turn at the trough".

txstatebobcat
August 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM

LOL, I still remember that game from what? 2-3? years ago. The NSU meltdown was by far the most entertaining college game of that season in my opinion. I don't mean it as smack, its just that it definitely looked as if the football spirits were helping the Colonels that night.

GeauxColonels
August 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Hey....works for me!!!!

GeauxColonels
August 5th, 2006, 10:27 PM
LOL, I still remember that game from what? 2-3? years ago. The NSU meltdown was by far the most entertaining college game of that season in my opinion. I don't mean it as smack, its just that it definitely looked as if the football spirits were helping the Colonels that night.
Was that game @ Northwestern? or down in T-town? Just trying to remember the one you're referring to.

txstatebobcat
August 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
It was in Thibodeaux(spell?).

NSUDemon98
August 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM

That was indeed the weirdest **** I have even seen...and it happened in ONE game.

And Bobcat fans should know, the away team in Thibidoaux always has to work against the football gods.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM

October 21, 2004.

That would be the Thibodeaux (sp) game when we came in like #9 I think where we jumped to a 14-0 lead......:)

Then completely fell off the map as The "other" NSU dropped 40 straight points on us....:bawling:

Final Score: #9 Northwestern State 14 --- Nichollis State 40.:bang: :bang: :bang: The beginning of the Demon Meltdown of 2004 is what some call this game.

I had to watch that game from the lobby in our dorms (dare I say Rapides...ugh!) on a Thursday night (damn night classes)....

Lets just say....there were a lot (and I do mean a lot) of "ticked off" Demons that night.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Forget down there......I think we're cursed period...

Last years (WHAT WERE WE THINKING WHEN WE HAD VINSON PASS AND ENDED UP THROWING THAT INT ON THIRD DOWN WITH THE LEAD IN THE 4TH QUARTER :bang:) game made it 3 in a row that The "other" NSU has "forked" us.

2003 --- NSU 30 --- Nichollis 40
2004 --- NSU 14 --- Nichollis 40
2005 --- NSU 24 --- Nichollis 31

This is an Alarming Trend for Demon Fans....: smh :

It's gotta be the "new" Jersies.......Go back to the Red Ones (or were the old ones Blue??).

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
It was in Thibodeaux(spell?).
Lose the "e" and you got it....spell it with me:

T-h-i-b-o-d-a-u-x

That's the spelling of the city, but you will have many people with the last name that has the "e" included.

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Forget down there......I think we're cursed period...

Last years (WHAT WERE WE THINKING WHEN WE HAD VINSON PASS AND ENDED UP THROWING THAT INT ON THIRD DOWN WITH THE LEAD IN THE 4TH QUARTER ) game made it 3 in a row that The "other" NSU has "forked" us.

2003 --- NSU 30 --- Nichollis 40
2004 --- NSU 14 --- Nichollis 40
2005 --- NSU 24 --- Nichollis 31

This is an Alarming Trend for Demon Fans....: smh :

It's gotta be the "new" Jersies.......Go back to the Red Ones (or were the old ones Blue??).
Well, over the period you're speaking of Nicholls State beat Northwestern Directional University of Louisiana in Red AND Blue jerseys. We wore Red for as long as I can remember and then switched to Blue in 2002 or 2003. The administration decided to revert back to the original (an OFFICIAL) color scheme of Red and Gray last year for all sports to coincide with the logo redesign.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Well, over the period you're speaking of Nicholls State beat Northwestern Directional University of Louisiana in Red AND Blue jerseys. We wore Red for as long as I can remember and then switched to Blue in 2002 or 2003. The administration decided to revert back to the original (an OFFICIAL) color scheme of Red and Gray last year for all sports to coincide with the logo redesign.

Then stick with the Red

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Then stick with the Red
I've always liked the Red. None of us down here liked the Blue when they decided to switch. And hey, if wearing Red gets us the SLC Championship every couple of years....I'll DEFINITELY take it! :thumbsup: