PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Player Quotes

GeauxLions94
July 31st, 2006, 04:50 PM
Tried to access this on my home computer (PC), but couldn't C&P until I got to the MAC :rotateh:

JACOB FORD - (DE, Sr., Memphis, Tenn., University of Central Arkansas)
"This is actually a great opportunity for us to show how good a program we are, what kind of athletes we have, and where our program is.

"If injuries don't come into play, I don't think there will be that much difference (from Division II). I think we have quality athletes on par with the Southland teams. But if injuries do occur, depth will factor into it

"We had our opportunity to win a conference championship last year and to play for a national championship. But since we did, I don't have a problem with not being able to this year. Our final record will be our championship. We'll judge our success by our record.

AARON FAIROOZ - (WR, Sr., Mansfield, Texas, University of Central Arkansas)
"I know each week is going to be a new challenge in the Southland Conference. We aren't going to have any easy games. There won't be any teams we can take lightly anymore. We're looking forward to the opportunity to show what kind of team we have."

"One thing is there won't be that one weak link on a team that you can exploit. We will be facing great athletes across the board at every position."

"When I came in as a freshman (in 2002), I was hoping that we could move to Division I-AA my senior year because we had a great recruiting class that came in together and knew we would be ready by then. I think we are as ready as we have ever been to make this move. UCA football is at its best right now. "

BRENT POUSSON - (OL, Grad., Iota, La., McNeese State University)
On not having given up a sack in his collegiate career)
"That is something that I take pride in and hope that I can continue it through this season. I have been fortunate that each year I have had to work against such players as John Paul Jones, Anthony Camp and Buck Harris in practice and that has really helped me."

STEPHEN BARRETT - (DB, Sr., Carencro, La., McNeese State University)
"Our secondary should be one of the stronger parts of our defense this year. We have everyone back. I think that's a good reason for our strength in the backfield. Everyday in practice, we have to go up against receivers such as Quinten Lawrence, Carlese Franklin and Steven Whitehead, who are among the top players in our league."

CORY VAVALA - (LB, Sr., San Antonio, Texas Nicholls State University)
"This team is a unique team. We are really excited about this season. Unlike past years, we do not have many superstars. This year we have a limited amount of returning starters and a limited amount of seniors. The seniors we do have are guys who will lead and the rest of the guys will follow."

"Winning the championship last year is momentum going into this season. We do have spots to fill, losing a lot of seniors last year, and losing a lot of depth. But, we are excited about what this team will bring, and hopefully we can repeat and win the championship again."

TORY COLLINS - (DT, Sr., New Orleans, La., Northwestern State University)
"Last year, after Hurricane Katrina, my family (in New Orleans) lost everything but their lives. They eventually went to Nebraska. My mother just came back home and has gotten a house. I have to admit, in the beginning of the season, a lot of us lost some focus on football. I know that made it difficult on a lot of the teams in this area because so many of us were affected by the storms. I don't think the teams in Louisiana always had their A-games last year. All I could do was keep God first. I prayed a lot and everything worked out OK for my family, and I was able to play fairly well."

"I am excited about going into this season with a lot more focus on football. I think I'll be much better, my team will be better and so will teams like Nicholls State, McNeese State and Southeastern Louisiana who dealt with the same situation last fall."

KELDRICK HOLMAN - (Safety, Sr., Hemphill, Texas, Stephen F. Austin State University)
"We were picked seventh in both polls, so we can only go up from here. We've got some talented guys on the team and we're confident we can win."

"Last year we had to play some freshmen on the defensive line and we were a bit undersized. This year those guys have a year under their belt and we've been hitting the weight room. We have five players returning in the secondary so we should be real strong there. We also have some talented guys returning at linebacker, to go along with a really strong recruiting class. We expect to be a lot stronger this season."

DANNY SOUTHALL - (QB, Jr., Hitchcock, Texas, Stephen F. Austin State University)
"I feel confident about my abilities to run this offense. I've had a year under my belt to learn the offense and the whole team is coming back with more confidence heading into the season."

DAVID BRANCH (DL, Sr., Houston, Texas, Sam Houston State University)
"We're not worried about being picked near the bottom of the preseason polls. That sort of thing just gives you the motivation to work harder. We have a lot of seniors back and a strong junior class, both of whom played on the championship team two years ago. We want to bring that excitement back. We have a solid defense and our offense really came on during spring ball. We've had a strong great group working together during the conditioning program this summer and a great attitude."

LANCE HANCOCK (OL, Sr., Deer Park, Texas, Sam Houston State University)
"A lot of people have been asking us about playing the defending national champion and Rose Bowl champion Texas Longhorns this year. We're excited and it's going to be a tremendous atmosphere at a sold out Memorial Stadium. We're looking forward to it. We played at Texas Tech last year and at Montana two years ago, both places where the crowd really gets into the game. It's a lot of fun."

"We think we will be stronger offensively this year. All three of our quarterbacks really looked sharp during spring ball and we return all of our wide receivers. It's exciting to be getting things started."

DONALD USRY - (OL, Sr., Loranger, La., Southeastern Louisiana University)
"We lost two key guys last year (Calvin Greenwood and Terrell Howard) on the offensive line and we're going to have to replace them. We've got some guys on campus now who can get the job done, hopefully."

"The new running backs (Kendrick Perry, Jay Lucas and Matt Betts) are going to help us out, especially in the passing game. It will slow the (opposing) defensive ends down and help us in pass blocking."

DURIEL "DUKE" ADAMS - (FS, Sr., Hammond, La., Southeastern Louisiana University)
"Last year, we were picked to finish last in the conference and we earned a pair of impressive wins over some established programs. Last season was a good experience for us, and that will only help us get better as we get ready for our second year in the league."

"The (4-3) defense that Coach (Mike) Lucas runs is an awesome scheme. We added three new linebackers who will help solidify our front seven and give us that big push that we need to compete in the Southland Conference."

WALTER MUSGROVE (DB, Sr., Duncanville, Texas, Texas State University)
"(Senior linebacker) Jeremy Castillo said it best at a senior meeting about a month ago when he said, `We have a lot of unfinished business." We're not complacent nor are we content with what we accomplished last year. As seniors, we know what it takes to get where we were last year. Now we have to make the younger guys aware of those things - from game preparation and watching film to the extra drill work that will get you to where you perform at your best."

On wrapping up cancer treatments this summer ...
"The mass is gone completely. We've been doing a lot of one-on-one drills and I feel great. I've been able to complete all of our summer workouts. The first day of camp, I will have been finished with chemo treatments for exactly a month."

RYNE MILLER (OL, Sr., The Woodlands, Texas, Texas State University)
On last season's playoff run & 2005 team accomplishments ...
"It was a big year for us. We were excited and a step away from a national title. The playoffs were huge for us, playing on ESPN. From the first game to the third one, we played the same and they were big games. We wanted to win a national championship."