PDA

View Full Version : Howard University "Bison" 4-1 (3-0 MEAC), with game at Georgia Southern on Nov. 10th

R.A.
October 7th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Howard 17, FAMU 10

WASHINGTON -- Brandon Flanagan's 42-yard punt return helped Howard take a third-quarter lead and the Bison withstood a late Florida A&M drive to win 17-10 Saturday.

Flanagan's return put Howard (4-1, 3-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) at the Rattlers 14 and Greg McGhee's 1-yard run made it 17-10.

McGhee's 31-yard pass to David Wilson put Howard ahead 10-7 with 1:02 left until halftime, but the Rattlers (2-4, 2-1) tied it in the third quarter on Chase Varnadore's 34-yard field goal. That score was set up by Lenworth Lennon's 39-yard punt return, followed by a facemask penalty.

Florida A&M started its final drive at its 2 and moved to the Howard 6 with 6 seconds left on nine Damien Fleming completions. Fleming couldn't find Michael Ethridge on his next two tries, however, as time ran out.

Fleming completed 26 of 41 for 228 yards and a touchdown but was sacked five times.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322800047
-------
Buck Buchanan Award Candidate Keith "Big Country" Pough, broke the all time FCS tackles for loss record during this contest. It'll be a HUGE GAME for our program.

Ivytalk
October 7th, 2012, 06:04 PM
GSU will be gracious hosts, but will stomp the Bison on the field.

R.A.
October 7th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Keith Pough's day versus FAMU...

Howard linebacker Keith Pough became the FCS' all-time leader in tackles for loss as he accounted for 3 1/2 in a crucial, 17-10 win over Florida A&M. The fifth-year senior now has 66 tackles for loss in his career. He added 17 total tackles, a forced fumble, one fumble recovery, one pass broken up and 2 1/2 sacks to help the Bison move to 4-1 on the season.

Source: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/news/newstest.aspx?id=4534618

A big day against a disciplined option offense like Georgia Southern's, could go along way towards Pough becoming the Buck Buchanan Award winner and an NFL Draft pick.

A win versus Georgia Southern should cement Howard's spot into the playoffs.

I wouldn't be so quick to determine winners and losers here Ivy. Let's see how the season plays out first.

swaghook
October 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Not all Bison are created equal. GSU wins this one easy.

gasoutherneagle
October 7th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Keith Pough's day versus FAMU...

A big day against a disciplined option offense like Georgia Southern's, could go along way towards Pough becoming the Buck Buchanan Award winner and an NFL Draft pick.

I wouldn't be so quick to determine winners and losers here Ivy. Let's see how the season plays out first.
I WILL "be so quick!"
If we lost half the games left on our schedule, we still stomp the lesser Bison by 21. Write that down.xrulesx

crusader11
October 7th, 2012, 06:57 PM
It is great to see Howard doing well in the MEAC for a change, but this one won't be close. Georgia Southern wins by four scores, at least.

eaglewraith
October 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I love how every MEAC team in the last 10+ years has run their mouths before coming into Paulson.

Tune changes on the way out.

R.A.
October 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I love how every MEAC team in the last 10+ years has run their mouths before coming into Paulson.

Tune changes on the way out.

I didn't say who would win or lose yet... but I guess not predicting the outcome of a contest, is the same as "running one's mouth," for some people.

But for the record, officially "MY Tune" is

I wouldn't be so quick to determine winners and losers here Ivy. Let's see how the season plays out first

kdinva
October 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I presume Howard will prep and play NC A&T this saturday.......

R.A.
October 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
We limited Rutgers to 26 points. We didn't score against the Scarlett Knights, we still had our top offensive players ineligible at the time, including our 2011 MEAC Rookie of the Year Quarterback Greg McGhee, who also happens to be the MEAC's 2012 Pre-Season pick for First Team Quarterback.

I should also note that Georgia Southern and Howard have never met on the gridiron before.

I really think Pough can make his mark in this contest.

MTfan4life
October 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Howard and BCU do not play each other this season. Who gets the auto-bid if they both finish the conference season with zero losses?

superman7515
October 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Bethune-Cookman. They did not play a lower division school, Howard played a D2, and due to the conference wanting teams to increase the strength of their out of conference schedules it was recently changed so that the MEAC tie-breaker is set up to punish teams for playing down.

GATA_Eagles
October 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
How often has Howard played a Triple Option Team?

I-16Bandit
October 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
How often has Howard played a good team?

FIFY

Eaglegus2
October 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I am proud that Howard has played so good this season. I really hope you get an at-large bid. But, play one game at a time before looking to the November game against Georgia Southern. It may bite you in the butt to look this far ahead.

R.A.
October 8th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Bethune-Cookman. They did not play a lower division school, Howard played a D2, and due to the conference wanting teams to increase the strength of their out of conference schedules it was recently changed so that the MEAC tie-breaker is set up to punish teams for playing down.

Yep, this is true.

gsu_paintballer
October 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM
SCSU thought they would dominate on the line with their size.

I think they felt differently when they left Paulson.

I hope Howard keeps winning, though. It'll make our win look a little better ;-)

R.A.
October 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
SCSU thought they would dominate on the line with their size.

I think they felt differently when they left Paulson.

I hope Howard keeps winning, though. It'll make our win look a little better ;-)

I'm not calling this game as of yet.

But I expect a huge day from Keith Pough. As much as you all run, he might have 30 tackles in the ball game, considering he had 17 versus FAMU, and FAMU threw the ball 41 times in the contest.

heath
October 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Dear RA, Howard was put on the schedule as a cupcake win. Still looks that way,good luck in conference play.Focus on the playoffs not smack talking a traditional powerhouse.

gsu_paintballer
October 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I'm not calling this game as of yet.

But I expect a huge day from Keith Pough. As much as you all run, he might have 30 tackles in the ball game, considering he had 17 versus FAMU, and FAMU threw the ball 41 times in the contest.

Well, we won't throw it 41 times. That's for sure.

He might have 30 tackles. After all, we can't score EVERY time we run the ball ;)

Vitojr130
October 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM
How often has Howard played a Triple Option Team?

Remember what happened the last time your fan-base thought this same concept against another Bison squad?

That being said, I think this bison team gets curb-stomped.

GATA_Eagles
October 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Remember what happened the last time your fan-base thought this same concept against another Bison squad?

That being said, I think this bison team gets curb-stomped.

We played a much better team that day. It's hard to prepare for our offense if you never see it.

R.A.
October 9th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Dear RA, Howard was put on the schedule as a cupcake win. Still looks that way,good luck in conference play.Focus on the playoffs not smack talking a traditional powerhouse.

What SMACK have I said??? Have I poke fun at Georgia Southern in any way??

I haven't even picked a winner for the contest.

And as for putting us on the schedule for cupcake purposes... isn't that what Michigan put Appalachian State on the schedule for in 2007?? It would be a mistake to overlook us...

Sonic98
October 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
So, is this a one time game? Is this a home-and-home situation?

Gringer1
October 12th, 2012, 05:14 PM
It's definitely a 1 time payout game.

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Why the hell is there a thread mentioning Georgia Southern...what, you beat FAMU due to *****TY coaching and think you can overlook the rest of the MEAC squads...look I understand our success is what most MEAC schools measure when seeing how good they are...are but chiil

And to the GaSU fans...ain't nobody smacking ya'll so calm down...but I do hope Howard pulls the upset.

DSUrocks07
October 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Why the hell is there a thread mentioning Georgia Southern...what, you beat FAMU due to *****TY coaching and think you can overlook the rest of the MEAC squads...look I understand our success is what most MEAC schools measure when seeing how good they are...are but chiil

And to the GaSU fans...ain't nobody smacking ya'll so calm down...but I do hope Howard pulls the upset.

Me thinks Howard['s (fan]s) is feeling themselves a little too much...next thing you know they'll be talking about going to Frisco.

I've read this script too many times, a MEAC squad runs through the conference. Beats their chest about how they are "gonna make some noise" and then reality hits them with a 2x4. Old hat.

Besides, Howard may very well have to rest their starters for that game with a matchup with us for the MEAC title the following week. xsmiley_wix

blueballs
October 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Me thinks Howard['s (fan]s) is feeling themselves a little too much...next thing you know they'll be talking about going to Frisco.

I've read this script too many times, a MEAC squad runs through the conference. Beats their chest about how they are "gonna make some noise" and then reality hits them with a 2x4. Old hat.

Besides, Howard may very well have to rest their starters for that game with a matchup with us for the MEAC title the following week. xsmiley_wix

That's very true... I remember the 2002 playoffs when BCC brought an undefeated team to Paulson and lost by 31.

GSU will never overlook anybody as long as Monken is the coach. That dude is harder than chinese algebra.

I hope Howard continues to do well and comes in ranked 11/10.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Billy Joel was the last MEAC coach to win a playoff game.

DSUrocks07
October 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM
xconfusedx

Billy Joel was the last MEAC coach to win a playoff game.

http://www.philebrity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/billy-joel-rock-band-3.jpg

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/60129951.jpg

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Did I get the name wrong? That was his name, right?

DSUrocks07
October 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Did I get the name wrong? That was his name, right?

You're thinking of Billy JOE, former coach of Florida A&M.

http://thederisoreport.hbcufannation.com/files/2010/10/billyjoeaflrookieofyear.jpg

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/files/2010/10/PX00096_9.jpg

Just razzing you a little bit. :p

Sonic98
October 13th, 2012, 09:13 AM
It's definitely a 1 time payout game.

I really don't see why this is such a hard thing to do. The two conferences could get together and do a home and home for a couple teams

I hope they pull if off as well, but I'm sure Howard could have found a slightly less difficult FCS opponent for their OOC game.

That's very true... I remember the 2002 playoffs when BCC brought an undefeated team to Paulson and lost by 31.

GSU will never overlook anybody as long as Monken is the coach. That dude is harder than chinese algebra.

I hope Howard continues to do well and comes in ranked 11/10.

Well, who knows maybe this game, win or lose, will help Hampton when playoff time rolls around.

superman7515
October 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Well, who knows maybe this game, win or lose, will help Hampton when playoff time rolls around.

Guessing you meant Howard, but just in case, Hampton can't make the playoffs due to APR issues.

GATA_Eagles
October 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I really don't see why this is such a hard thing to do. The two conferences could get together and do a home and home for a couple teams

Monken wants us to have 6 home games per year. With a FBS game it makes scheduling road OOC games difficult.

DSUrocks07
October 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM

I think getting some of the other SoCon schools to do a home and home would be easier for MEAC schools than GSU or ASU. Maybe a Western Carolina or Samford.

Sonic98
October 15th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I think getting some of the other SoCon schools to do a home and home would be easier for MEAC schools than GSU or ASU. Maybe a Western Carolina or Samford.

I really don't see the point of anyone scheduling an OOC game unless they can get a return trip sometime