PDA

View Full Version : FCS Bracketology

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Seeing as how we've hit the halfway point of the regular season I think we can start making reasonable playoff projections. Here's my stab at it:

Autobids in CAPS

Winner of Northern Arizona @ LEHIGH
at
(1) NORTH DAKOTA ST

SAM HOUSTON ST
at
Cal Poly

Winner of New Hampshire @ ALBANY
at
(4) Eastern Washington

Georgia Southern
at
(5) Old Dominion

Winner of BETHUNE-COOKMAN @ Illinois St
at
(2) MONTANA ST

STONY BROOK
at
Appalachian St

Winner of TENNESSEE ST @ South Dakota St
at
(3) JAMES MADISON

WOFFORD
at
Youngstown St

Bids by conference:
Big Sky, MVFC: 4
CAA, SOCON: 3
Soutland, OVC, Patriot, Big South, NEC, MEAC: 1

Last 4 in: Northern Arizona, New Hampshire, Illinois St, South Dakota St
First 4 out: Towson, Central Arkansas, Samford, McNeese St

van
October 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM
How does App State get a first round bye? 3rd best team from SoCon gets a bye?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Beat me to it while I was trying to make my bracket look just right.

Engineer86
October 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I would argue that an undefeated Lehigh would get a first round bye, but I honestly can't give you a team that they would replace in what you have. Not sure if match ups are determined by strength of team, if it does I doubt we get NAU of the first round teams if undefeated.

Also no seed from SoCon, but two from CAA and BSC, not sure about that when it all plays out.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
That is a bit questionable. At this point Lehigh could make argument over them. I felt that App's wins are better quality than Lehigh's.

I would argue that an undefeated Lehigh would get a first round bye, but I honestly can't give you a team that they would replace in what you have. Not sure if match ups are determined by strength of team, if it does I doubt we get NAU of the first round teams if undefeated.

Also no seed from SoCon, but two from CAA and BSC, not sure about that when it all plays out.
I do my projection a little different than some. I'm basing it off of where the teams stand now as if the playoffs started next week. I'm not predicting how every team will finish the year.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM
(4) Eastern Washington (2) MONTANA ST

How does 2 loss EWU get seeded with a loss to MSU when one loss YSU is not seeded and their only loss is to the #1 seed?

Maybe you have YSU losing another game? Just curious.

I am understanding your records as EWU (4) 9-2(win over idaho [WAC]); MSU (2) 10-0 (No fbs); YSU 10-1 (win over Pitt [Big East]) is this correct?

hebmskebm
October 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Wouldn't a 10-1 Stony Brook (with the one loss being FBS, and another FBS win on their resume) be in consideration for a seed? Depending on how things shake out they could be right there.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't a 10-1 Stony Brook (with the one loss being FBS, and another FBS win on their resume) be in consideration for a seed? Depending on how things shake out they could be right there.

Very possibly, really depends on where every team stands.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
How does 2 loss EWU get seeded with a loss to MSU when one loss YSU is not seeded and their only loss is to the #1 seed?

Maybe you have YSU losing another game? Just curious.

I am understanding your records as EWU (4) 9-2(win over idaho [WAC]); MSU (2) 10-0 (No fbs); YSU 10-1 (win over Pitt [Big East]) is this correct?
Eastern only has one loss right now. Again, I'm not predicting the full 11 games in my projection, I'm just projecting what I think the field would be right now if the playoffs started this weekend similar to how Joe Lunardi does his NCAA tourney projections in basketball. Personally, I think it's a much more interesting way to do it because the projections are based solely on proven performance so far rather than potential in future games which adds a whole new layer of speculation to an already argumentative topic.

EDIT: I also just noticed that I have SHSU with the Southland auto-bid which is counter-intuitive to my "performance so far only" basis. Too late now but I'll fix that if I do one of these again next week.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Eastern only has one loss right now. Again, I'm not predicting the full 11 games in my projection, I'm just projecting what I think the field would be right now if the playoffs started this weekend similar to how Joe Lunardi does his NCAA tourney projections in basketball. Personally, I think it's a much more interesting way to do it because the projections are based solely on proven performance so far rather than potential in future games which adds a whole new layer of speculation to an already argumentative topic.

EDIT: I also just noticed that I have SHSU with the Southland auto-bid which is counter-intuitive to my "performance so far only" basis. Too late now but I'll fix that if I do one of these again next week.

Ah that explains it then.

MTfan4life
October 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM

Wofford was the third team in last season from the socon and they had a first round bye.

Mr. Pink
October 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I really hope GSU doesn't have to play ODU again... That game gave me heart palpitations...

AppAlum2003
October 8th, 2012, 07:30 AM
If Wofford wins out they get a seed, plain and simple.