PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina should go to the Big South

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 06:53 AM
We are just not competitive anymore in the SoCon. Over 30 years of inept administration as it pertains to athletics will not be fixed just because our new chancellor has vowed to make WCU into a football power. Whatever slight mojo Kent Briggs and his staff brought about by beating App back in 2004 and then finishing 5-4 in 2005 vanished that winter in 2006 and it hasn't even thought of coming back to Cullowhee.

With a 1-5 record this year, WCU is now 12-61 since the end of the 2005 season. WCU lost 20 straight SoCon games from last game of 2005 until Nov 2008. Yesterday's loss now makes 18 straight. Yes, WCU is about to break their own damn record!xsmhx

I am sorry to be negative and I know fellow Western fans may slam me but damn, enough is enough. A schedule of Presbyterian, Charleston Southern, VMI may be just what the doctor ordered. It sucks week after week driving to a game and sitting there KNOWING your team is going to lose.

Stop the bleeding! Join the Big South WCU! GO CATS!

Mountaineer#96
October 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Wait don't go!!!!

our rivalry would suffer..........;)

Be patient, you guys will get there, take a look at history. Tons of teams are known year in and year out as celler dwellers across college football and it only takes a few pieces to fall into place for them to gain some good wins and climb out.

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Wait don't go!!!!

our rivalry would suffer..........;)

Be patient, you guys will get there, take a look at history. Tons of teams are known year in and year out as celler dwellers across college football and it only takes a few pieces to fall into place for them to gain some good wins and climb out.

I know this but man it just gets old year after year. By the time we do get good, you guys and GSU will be in I-A and God only knows what the SoCon will look like.

proasu89
October 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I know this but man it just gets old year after year. By the time we do get good, you guys and GSU will be in I-A and God only knows what the SoCon will look like.

Maybe a lot like the Big South xeyebrowx

Smitty
October 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM
We have lost a bunch of games, we can afford to lose a few more until the current coach gets the ship turned around.

Besides, you really want to join an easier conference just to win games?

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I say this without trying to denigrate WCU (which I normally enjoy) but it might be for the best. VMI decided that they were better off outside the SOCON years ago and neither institution seems to have suffered. ASU and WCU would probably still play on a regular basis (like the Citadel and VMI do). If the WCU leadership determines that that would be the best move for them, there would be no shame in making the move.

bjtheflamesfan
October 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I will say this to add to MorgantonAppAlum's point, when VMI left to join the Big South, they expected to dominate, but it has been a tough row to hoe for the Runnin Roos (kdinva can offer the VMI perspective). That said, they kept sticking it out and now they are starting to show the fruits of patience in the new coaching staff and even a whole new philosophy on offense.

JSUBison
October 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Just a few short years ago, Indiana State was a horrible football program. Losing to NAIA teams, going winless, getting blown out by everybody in conference, etc. They were in a worse position than WCU is. They have turned that program around the past couple of years, and now they are a top 25 team with playoffs as the goal. The only question for WCU is will they put the right people in place and get serious about improving.

AppStsGr8
October 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Several of us were talking about WCU at our tailgate yesterday. The analogy I used was that of turning around a runaway freight train. One cannot simply turn the train around. First, the train must be stopped. Then the train can be turned around. Finally, the train can retake the hill it's just flown down. From 2006 - 2011, WCU's football program was a runaway train that gained speed with each passing year. It does look like this is the year that the downhill run is stopping and, perhaps, turning around. Next year, hopefully, will be the beginning of the regaining on the hill. It can't be done quickly. Hang in there, WCU fans.

walliver
October 7th, 2012, 10:50 AM
When VMI left, their initial goal was to leave in football only to rebuild their program and then return. ETSU would have nothing to do with that and VMI left altogether. If it weren't for PC, they would be BS cellar dwellers. When the ?SU's leave, the SoCon will reinvent itself, and suddenly UTC and WCU will be the "big publics". That might just be the shot WCU needs to become competitive. WCU would also be the only FCS team in the western half of North Carolina.

JMUNJ08
October 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Look at Towson! 6 TOTAL wins in 3 years and then 9 + CAA title last year, nationally televised game yesterday and brownie points for exposing LSU. Most JMU fans alive never, ever saw a home L to them (1983, yes, young fan base) and it nearly shoulda happened yesterday... On the bright side you could fall flat on your face with expectations every year like 'Nooga...

kdinva
October 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM
VMI decided that they were better off outside the SOCON years ago .

and, our Big South Conf. FB record the past 8 seasons is.............. xblehx xbadx xsplatx

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Look at Towson! 6 TOTAL wins in 3 years and then 9 + CAA title last year, nationally televised game yesterday and brownie points for exposing LSU. Most JMU fans alive never, ever saw a home L to them (1983, yes, young fan base) and it nearly shoulda happened yesterday... On the bright side you could fall flat on your face with expectations every year like 'Nooga...

THIS! I love Coach Ambrose at Towson!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
When VMI left, their initial goal was to leave in football only to rebuild their program and then return. ETSU would have nothing to do with that and VMI left altogether. If it weren't for PC, they would be BS cellar dwellers. When the ?SU's leave, the SoCon will reinvent itself, and suddenly UTC and WCU will be the "big publics". That might just be the shot WCU needs to become competitive. WCU would also be the only FCS team in the western half of North Carolina.

and when ETSU tried to make their case to remain in the SoCon after Noland's predecessor made the decision to drop football, it was panned to the point where ETSU decided to seek a new conference home (Atlantic Sun) after eschewing the OVC (home of all the other TN DI FCS schools except Chattanooga). As most of you know, ETSU brought Noland on board this year and I truly believe with the right kind of leadership in the athletics program, ETSU will be well again.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I remember Davidson left the SC for the same reasons as VMI, couldn't win, and couldn't compete. I would hate to see Western leave, they have been in the league, I believe since the early 70's, but its just no fun for the fans to support a program that will probably win one maybe 2 games a year. Moving down, and becoming more competitive, makes alot of sense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Western Carolina comes to Fargo next year (9/21) for a OCC game.

Looking forward to seeing how the Bison stack up against another SoCon team....

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Western Carolina comes to Fargo next year (9/21) for a OCC game.

Looking forward to seeing how the Bison stack up against another SoCon team....

Our AD is attempting to buy out of this game. We already have 2 FBS teams next year. Middle Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Our AD is attempting to buy out of this game. We already have 2 FBS teams next year. Middle Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

Really?

I haven't heard this up here.

Hopefully they do it soon so we are not 'scrambling' to find another D1 counter like most years. Hopefully WCU doesn't pull a Savannah State with what they did with UNI....and not even tell them....

The Cats
October 7th, 2012, 01:50 PM
A ridiculous suggestion.

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
A ridiculous suggestion.

Simply an opinion. GO CATS!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Simply an opinion. GO CATS!

Is there a press release or other media info saying WCU is trying to buy this game out?

ASU_Fanatic
October 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
it can't be easy being a wcu fan, the ones who have stuck around for years upon years deserve a few winning seasons about as much as any fanbase in fcs football.

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Is there a press release or other media info saying WCU is trying to buy this game out?

It was something that was told to me so take it FWIW, which may not be much. GO CATS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Moving to the Big South is a terrible idea. If you don't think that will hurt recruiting I think you are mistaken. IMO VMI was just starting to make some progress in the late 90s/early 00s and moving to the Big South was pretty much the coup de grace for that program.

Plus, the move would hurt Western's basketball and baseball which are both respectable programs.

catamount man
October 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Moving to the Big South is a terrible idea. If you don't think that will hurt recruiting I think you are mistaken. IMO VMI was just starting to make some progress in the late 90s/early 00s and moving to the Big South was pretty much the coup de grace for that program.

Plus, the move would hurt Western's basketball and baseball which are both respectable programs.

I know. I am just speaking off of frustration. Still all in though! GO CATS!

bjtheflamesfan
October 7th, 2012, 03:10 PM
VMI is making strides the last couple years. That said, I dont think WCU should just up and leave for the Big South just to be competitive. I already noted VMI's struggles for a number of years (Here are their records since 2002: 5-7, 5-7, 0-11, 6-6, 2-9, 1-10, 2-9, 4-7, 2-9, 3-8, and 2-9) so I definitely would stick it out, and certianly give the new coach a chance to get established there. Not everyone can be Danny Rocco (for example) and immediately turn a team around in one season and make them instantly relevant

Mr. Peabody
November 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
3-50 in the SoCon since 2006? Naw, Western doesn't need to go to the Big South ... the "Puddy Cats" need to be taken off the life support system and drop football all together. Worst coaches in the country, worst players in the country, worst fans in the country, worst football facility in the country and absolutely the worst program in the country ... PERIOD.

RIP Western Carolina!

Laker
November 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
3-50 in the SoCon since 2006? Naw, Western doesn't need to go to the Big South ... the "Puddy Cats" need to be taken off the life support system and drop football all together. Worst coaches in the country, worst players in the country, worst fans in the country, worst football facility in the country and absolutely the worst program in the country ... PERIOD.

RIP Western Carolina!

Well, that is a positive first post. That is the most worst that I've seen since I toured the sausage factory. :)

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM

That's what some used to say at Prairie View A&M..and look how they turned it around. Or at Indiana State.

And if you want to look at a program that was really at the bottom, check Kansas State in the late 1980's--playing with only 49 scholarships in the Big 8, there were serious rumblings about K-State dropping out of I-A altogether if a newly hired coach from Iowa couldn't turn things around in football.

They did.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068750/index.htm

Laker
November 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
check Kansas State in the late 1980's--playing with only 49 scholarships in the Big 8, there were serious rumblings about K-State dropping out of I-A altogether if a newly hired coach from Iowa couldn't turn things around in football.

That was probably the biggest turn around in history. I love watching KSU and Collin Kline play today because I know the background of those terrible years.

Mr. Peabody
November 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have to keep it simple for the delusional Kittymounts. Oh, let me add, worser edumacation in the country.

fc97
November 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM

RIP Western Carolina!

dont yall just love when some new jackass with 3 posts comes in and runs his mouth?

The Cats
November 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM

RIP Western Carolina!

You've obviously never been to Cullowhee, or know the coaches.

WataugaDave
November 2nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Worst coaches in the country, worst players in the country, worst fans in the country, worst football facility in the country and absolutely the worst program in the country ... PERIOD.

RIP Western Carolina!

None of this true.

First of all, WCU now has a lot of former ASU staff on it's side. You just shot yourself in the foot.

WCU doesn't even have the worst football facility in the state, let alone country. You haven't seen bad until you've watched the Winston-Salem State Rams play from a race track. The Pride of the Mountains Band actually makes for a pretty good game-day atmosphere.

I've never been treated with anything but class by Catamount fans. You're the one trying to make App fans look like assholes.

Worst players? Someone wasn't paying attention when Rock Williams made 23 tackles, or when their true freshman quarterback completed a 72 yard TD pass and made two rushing touchdowns. Just because they haven't had luck, doesn't mean they're a team full of awful players.

Worst program? Two words: Georgia State.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Several of us were talking about WCU at our tailgate yesterday. The analogy I used was that of turning around a runaway freight train. One cannot simply turn the train around. First, the train must be stopped. Then the train can be turned around. Finally, the train can retake the hill it's just flown down. From 2006 - 2011, WCU's football program was a runaway train that gained speed with each passing year. It does look like this is the year that the downhill run is stopping and, perhaps, turning around. Next year, hopefully, will be the beginning of the regaining on the hill. It can't be done quickly. Hang in there, WCU fans.

Well said. As a railfan, I'm always happy to hear a railroad anaolgy. : )

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
dont yall just love when some new jackass with 3 posts comes in and runs his mouth?

xlolxxlolxxlolx

CID1990
November 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Don't leave you cannot be replaced.

Never give up!

walliver
November 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Why would anyone want to go the Big South?

Liberty wants to go FBS.
Coastal is quite open about leaving, standing on the corner waiting for the CAA or SoCon.
Stony Brook signed the divorce papers and is shacking up with the CAA.
Charleston Southern, PC, VMI and Gardner-Webb would not create excitement on anybody's schedule.