PDA

View Full Version : Building A Stronger Southland

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM
This article talks about Burnett's thoughts on the SLC competing for a national title in I-AA football, the addition of A&M-CC/UCA and more importantly, Burnett's active role in the improvements of I-AA (he's spoken on I-AA Waves about these sought after improvements).

This is not the first article where Burnett has spoke candidly about the SLC competing for a I-AA national title. I think everyone in the SLC is anxious to see the door get knocked down!

Building a Stronger Southland
By Randy Stevens
Sports Editor

San Marcos — Four years ago, when Tom Burnett was hired as commissioner, the Southland Conference wasn’t on the right path. With only six schools playing Division I-AA football, 10 members and another (Louisiana-Monroe) that was making its transition to a complete Division I universityand out of the SLC.

Burnett was faced with the challenge of strengthening what was at one time one of the strongest, mid-major collegiate conferences in the nation.

Now, with the addition of the University of Central Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Burnett seems to have the conference back on the right path. The SLC now consists of 12 universities, eight of which field football programs.

“We are really excited about the direction the conference is going with the additions of UCA and A&M-Corpus Christi,” Burnett said last Wednesday at the SLC football kickoff meeting in Westlake, La. “I think they bring a lot to our conference and they undoubtedly make our conference a lot stronger.”

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_210144300.html?keyword=topstory

July 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
... Building a Stronger Southland
By Randy Stevens Sports Editor
San Marcos — Four years ago, when Tom Burnett was hired as commissioner, the Southland Conference wasn’t on the right path...
http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_210144300.html?keyword=topstory
...said Burnett. “For 43 years, we have been competitive, regardless of what schools are a part of the conference and we come into every year and say how we expect to fully compete for a national championship.”Obviously the opening is not about football.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Obviously the opening is not about football.

The last four years have definitely shined brightly on football with SHSU, McNeese and Texas St-San Marcos all making some deep runs...

SLC is going to have to step it up! Problem is, too many SLC teams have gone the I-A game route and there's too many I-A games on the schedules, which could hurt schools attempting to meet the seven-games needed for playoffs...as seen by the 'Cats last year nearly fumbling from their eventual #4 seed to out of the playoffs...

BEAR
July 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
The Southland is on the right track by adding UCA....:eek: :beerchug:

Ok. Ok. Time will tell on that front. Rumor here is that UCA is briefly passing through I-AA. Timeline to departure...years from now in my opinion but I have heard it is a goal to be I-A they are working on diligently. No, they haven't proven one single thing in D2 or I-AA, but the goal of any business is CASH. Anyone who doesn't believe a Universityhis a business..go pay your tuition or buy books...:bang: Sadly, at the expense of the athletic programs. My opinion, and I do say I opine, is in about 12 years UCA will be I-A. Hey, if Arkansas State can be at that level, and everyone accept it with the little success they've had, then most likely everyone will accept a move by UCA, who can also be as unsuccessful at that level too! --0r successful, whatever. At the D2 level, the program was getting better. At the I-AA level, the competition would only make UCA better. At the I-A level of football, the money is more important than putting a good product on the field- ask Razorback fans. :twocents:
But I am glad to see the SLC think UCA is a positive contributor to the Conference..especially since we haven't played one game yet!

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Ok. Ok. Time will tell on that front. Rumor here is that UCA is briefly passing through I-AA. Timeline to departure...years from now in my opinion but I have heard it is a goal to be I-A they are working on diligently. No, they haven't proven one single thing in D2 or I-AA, but the goal of any business is CASH. Anyone who doesn't believe a Universityhis a business..go pay your tuition or buy books...:bang: Sadly, at the expense of the athletic programs. My opinion, and I do say I opine, is in about 12 years UCA will be I-A. Hey, if Arkansas State can be at that level, and everyone accept it with the little success they've had, then most likely everyone will accept a move by UCA, who can also be as unsuccessful at that level too! --0r successful, whatever. At the D2 level, the program was getting better. At the I-AA level, the competition would only make UCA better. At the I-A level of football, the money is more important than putting a good product on the field- ask Razorback fans. :twocents:
But I am glad to see the SLC think UCA is a positive contributor to the Conference..especially since we haven't played one game yet!

Uh oh! UCABear, climb back in your cave!

We already have quite a few other schools talking about going I-A or leaving the SLC for greener pastures (namely C-USA). Do you really want to join the UTSA and Texas St-San Marcos of the world?

Let's get your feet wet in I-AA and see if you can make the transition successfully (and have a fair share of success) before you start even talking I-A. We wouldn't want UCA turning into a ULM, a program that wasn't so great in the SLC and then moved up to I-A, only to get the crap kicked out of them and fall deep in the red!

BEAR
July 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hey, I never said I think they should! Will they? Of course they will. It's the money thing again. Is there talk about the move to another level? very little. I promise you it is very little. But it has been brought up. That's all I''m saying.

Bear Fan 101
July 30th, 2006, 06:42 PM
wow, we havent even started fall camp for our first 1-AA season yet and someone is already talking about moving completely up to 1-A already.

When we start averaging 12K game in and game out in Estes Stadium for 4-5 years in a row, at least...get back with me...but until then we cant even begin to think ahead, unless I'm dead wrong about attendance clauses to move up, or stay at the 1-A level. And I'm not even talking about the even MORE money we would have to have in place then even this move to 1-AA will entail.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 06:55 PM
When we start averaging 12K game in and game out in Estes Stadium for 4-5 years in a row, at least...get back with me...but until then we cant even begin to think ahead, unless I'm dead wrong about attendance clauses to move up, or stay at the 1-A level. And I'm not even talking about the even MORE money we would have to have in place then even this move to 1-AA will entail.

Win some for me too, BF101! :)

Looking forward to our long overdue meeting sometime in Louisiana in the near future! :thumbsup:

The thing with this I-A talk so many years away is the fact that NCAA is ever-changing and I think within the next five years, we're probably due even more changes thanks to all the $$$ bouncing around and other factors (Canadian schools coming in?!?)...

July 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Hey, I never said I think they should! Will they? Of course they will. It's the money thing again...Sure if you want to lose more money then go I-A... :nod:

GeauxColonels
July 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
With only six schools playing Division I-AA football, 10 members and another (Louisiana-Monroe) that was making its transition to a complete Division I university and out of the SLC.
I'm surprised that Ralph didn't catch this, but how is ULM now a "complete Division I university"? I'm pretty sure all the SLC schools are COMPLETE DIVISION I UNIVERSITIES. Aren't they?!

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I'm surprised that Ralph didn't catch this, but how is ULM now a "complete Division I university"? I'm pretty sure all the SLC schools are COMPLETE DIVISION I UNIVERSITIES. Aren't they?!

The San Marcos faithful are still not too understanding of this whole Div I-A, I-AA and Div I concept...they needed a lot of teaching last football season, as they have never experienced success at the I-AA level. Most have become very well-educated on the subject, but obviously the local fishwrap is not up to par with the rest...

GeauxColonels
July 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The San Marcos faithful are still not too understanding of this whole Div I-A, I-AA and Div I concept...they needed a lot of teaching last football season, as they have never experienced success at the I-AA level. Most have become very well-educated on the subject, but obviously the local fishwrap is not up to par with the rest...
That's a poor excuse. We here at Nicholls State have arguably had LESS success at the I-AA level, winning 1 playoff game ever and having the same # of SLC titles.