PDA

View Full Version : SFA Optimistic Despite Polls

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
SFA feels optimistic. They should. They have a great QB in Danny Southall under center. Lots in the SLC think he has the tools to be a successful QB as a junior if he recovers well enough from the broken leg that spelled the end of his season last year.

SFA will be playing two I-As (Tulsa and Arizona) as well as a tough I-AA foe in North Dakota St. Delta St and UCA fill out the schedule. SFA had oddly enough been one of the last schools, especially in the SLC to go head to head against I-As...

Despite polls, SFA optimistic
Kevin Gore, The Daily Sentinel
Sunday, July 30, 2006

The SFA Lumberjacks think they have what it takes to make believers out of the rest of the Southland Conference.

Despite being picked last in two different preseason polls, the Lumberjacks will report to fall camp Thursday eager and optimistic.

Workouts begin at 8 a.m. Friday.

A 5-6 team last season, second-year head coach Robert McFarland said his team could be a contender in the league, as soon as this year.

“The one thing that I've heard about Division I-AA football is that the greatest improvement in a program usually comes in the second year,” McFarland said. “I asked our coaches the other day to name a player in our program who hasn't done everything that we have asked them to do.

“My staff couldn't come up with one player.”

http://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/07/30/20060730ndsSFAReports.html