PDA

View Full Version : Columbia at Lehigh - The Game Thread

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Preview here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/game-preview-columbia-at-lehigh-1062012.html

You'd never know it, but there's a weird history with Lehigh and Columbia, especially in three of their last four games.

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Preview here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/game-preview-columbia-at-lehigh-1062012.html

You'd never know it, but there's a weird history with Lehigh and Columbia, especially in three of their last four games.

As a member of the FCS media elite... please stop drumming up drama when none whatsoever exists so everyone can read your blog.

Have a nice day. :D

Ivytalk
October 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Was just gonna say, I think it's a safe bet that there's no other Lehigh-Columbia blog anywhere else in the world.

Carry on.xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
The most interesting thing about Columbia is just how small they are. I've never seen, going back 25 years, a D1 O-lineman listed at 227 lbs!

Their OL goes LT 6'7 278, LG 6'2 270, C 6'5 246, LG 6'1 227, LT 6'7 253

DLine DE 6'3 245, DT 6'4 238, NT 6'2 250, DE 6'1 220

LehighU11
October 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Preview here:

Appreciated the Bwog reference. My brother's at Columbia and I occasionally read it to see what's going on in Morningside Heights. It was a pleasant surprise to see the "Drinking with Bwog" segment make it into the drink of the week. You really don't miss anything in your game previews.

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Wow! That OL is smaller than an LB at LC, and even Shoop I believe.

Columbia is essentially D3, while Harvard is a top FCS team... it won't be pretty.

ngineer
October 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Though times have changed, having 'small' guards was quite common years ago, especially in offenses that pulled the guards for traps and sweeps. Back in the mid 1960's, my father who coached HS ball for many years, had two guards, each weighing about 135 lbs! They spent half the time pulling on sweeps and had a terrific ground game. It was fun to watch and people couldn't believe it. But so long as the kids are strong, quick and athletic one can use such size to an advantage IF you have other pieces that can complement them. As for Columbia, I think our very quick LBs will wreak havoc in the CU backfield.

RichH2
October 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM
They have a qb and little else besides little and inexperienced. They did play Rams tough. If we show up it will be a rout.
You have reached new depths with this weeks drink. Since we are undefeated I am forced to continue. I hereby request a more normal concoction for next week.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2012, 10:25 PM
They have a qb and little else besides little and inexperienced. They did play Rams tough. If we show up it will be a rout.
You have reached new depths with this weeks drink. Since we are undefeated I am forced to continue. I hereby request a more normal concoction for next week.

LOLOL. I think we might be back with the beers after this week!

RichH2
October 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
My tastebuds thank you.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Game 6 Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/game-6-breakdown-columbia-at-fordham.html

Let's hope we get the Week 5 Offense and not the Week 5 Defense...

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Pacing break. Best guess, attendance? I think we'll ne lucky to get 5 or 6000. Whether fans come, I expect the team to show up.

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Pacing break. Best guess, attendance? I think we'll ne lucky to get 5 or 6000. Whether fans come, I expect the team to show up.

For a Patriot game at Columbia? Maybe 3500.

Hawk98
October 6th, 2012, 10:00 AM

A home game during Pacing Break ... that's not well thought out.

carney2
October 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Game canceled. Lack of interest.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I think the crowd will be solid given the opponent and amount of big games on tv. I'll go with 7800.

I'm going to miss the first quarter. I'll be able to post some updates once I get in front of a computer.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
The most interesting thing about Columbia is just how small they are. I've never seen, going back 25 years, a D1 O-lineman listed at 227 lbs!

Their OL goes LT 6'7 278, LG 6'2 270, C 6'5 246, LG 6'1 227, LT 6'7 253

DLine DE 6'3 245, DT 6'4 238, NT 6'2 250, DE 6'1 220

That is smaller than a lot of FCS running backs these days. Incredible. Did this kid get caught in a time warp?

Mr. C
October 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Game canceled. Lack of interest.

If that was the case, they might just cancel the entire Columbia season.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
As a member of the FCS media elite... please stop drumming up drama when none whatsoever exists so everyone can read your blog.

Have a nice day. :D

Leopard fans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Lehigh up 14-0 with about 3 minutes left in 1Q..

Bogus Megapardus
October 6th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Leopard fans.

We do what we can.

After all someone has to try to generate interest in the Browntown Clowns. LFN should be thankful.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Columbia scored, not sure how

14-7 Lehigh 13:15 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Lehigh fumbled the punt after a good defensive series but recovers...

Lehigh goes 3 and out...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Colvin threw a terrible pick 6 for the CU TD. Almost threw another on the last drive.

The Lehigh front 7 is dominating the Lion OL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM
CU front getting good pressure on Colvin.

Colvin battling though, big play to Fernendez-Soto

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Lehigh to to the CU 5 with about a minute left in the first half...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM
TD Colvin!!

Lehigh 21 Columbia 7 0:52 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Lehigh 21 Columbia 7 at Half

The Hawks have pretty much dominated as you might expect. I'm impressed with the Lions front 7 on D.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Lehigh had 231 total yards in the first half, Columbia 91...

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Dartmouth 20 Yale 14 end of the 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Columbia's offense is really struggling.

Still 21-7 6:49 3Q. The wind is blowing about 30 mph right now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Colvin with a 40 yard strike to Haggins for a TD!!

Lehigh 28 Columbia 7 4:34 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Lehigh still making too many mistakes.

Another fumble on a punt and this time CU recovers deep in LU territory.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
TD Lions!

Lehigh 28 Columbia 14 0:12 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM
End of 3Q

Lehigh 28 Columbia 14

The Hawks have completely dominated but two dumb mistakes has made the score look closer than it really is. Colvin should be on the bench by now. He's played really well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Columbia trying to keep this interesting. At midfield with about 9 minutes left...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Lehigh stops CU on 4th down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 02:02 PM
TD Lehigh!! Colvin to SFS!!

35-14 Hawks, about 5 minutes left!

Mike has had a really good game, minus the INT. The score should be worse than it is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
CU coach calling timeouts down 21 with 20 second left....c'mon coach!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Lehigh holds!

Lehigh 35 Columbia 14 Final

Except for a few mistakes Lehigh played really well.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Well we scored all the points. Colvin is getting better each game.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hard not to agree with Andy's post game comment that we are still not playing up to our ability. Hope we are saving yhat for PL play

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM
CU LU
FIRST DOWNS 15 20

NET YARDS RUSHING 82 119

NET YARDS PASSING 163 296
Completions-Attempts-Int 16-36-2 29-38-1
Average Per Attempt 4.5 7.8
Average Per Completion 10.2 10.2
Passing Touchdowns 0 4
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 245 415
Total offense plays 63 72
Average Gain Per Play 3.9 5.8
Fumbles: Number-Lost 2-0 2-1
Penalties: Number-Yards 5-55 10-75
PUNTS-YARDS 7-291 5-161
Average Yards Per Punt 41.6 32.2

KICKOFFS-YARDS 3-193 6-374

Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD 2--3-0 3-13-0

Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 1-15-0 1-15-0
Possession Time 28:09 31:51
Third-Down Conversions 5 of 14 9 of 16
Fourth-Down Conversions 0 of 2 0 of 0
Red-Zone Scores-Chances 0-0 3-4

Sacks By: Number-Yards 1-1 4-27
PAT Kicks 2-2 5-5
Field Goals 0-0 0-1

van
October 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Lehigh holds!

Lehigh 35 Columbia 14 Final

Except for a few mistakes Lehigh played really well.

More than a few mistakes, I thought the game was a bit sloppy.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM
van, no FB formation, a new wrinkle? Soto sure had a great day. Andy not pleased after game.

van
October 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Well our yards per carry out of the I must be something around 1. So, maybe not a new wrinkle, but coaches finally took notice.

hawkineer
October 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Andy not pleased after game. He wasn't please during the game or after the game. I listened to both his halftime and post game radio interviews. He commented at halftime that championship caliber teams can't make the mistakes that this team constantly makes. He continues to reference lack of focus. Colvin played a good game, but his interception was inexcusable. Then, there was the punt returner being run into by his own player. Finally, 10 penalties in game 6 is ridiculous. Holding calls and illegal procedure calls wiped out big plays or killed drives. Just can't continue to do this against better teams. I think that Andy expected this team to be much further along than it is. With nothing but P.L. teams left, they better be focused now.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Kids should enjoy pacing break, come Tues Andy is going to read them the riot act. All mental errors. Part of that players had midterms this week.

van
October 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Last week Divers was booming punts, who was that wearing #4 this week? Would help if Colvin could hit the receivers in stride on the crossing routes more often. His throws on the vertical routes are pretty accurate, but not so much on crossing routes. On a good note, Noah Robb got some field time this week and I was impressed with his performance.

ngineer
October 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM
A good win considering the distractions of mid-term exams at 4 p.m. all week. Focus was going to be an issue in the game not only due to the 4 o'clocks, but playing Columbia as well. Although the Lions are improved, and gave a spirited effort, they are still "Columbia". Except for the inexcusable int by Colvin that was run in for CU's first TD, Colvin had a very solid game. 28/39 296 yds 4 TDs 1 Int. Defense did nice job all aday. THe OL's penalties were bad--4 by Douglas, the soph OT. Spadola also had two procedural calls. Sometimes I think we play down to our opponent. This game should have been 49-0. Wind a bit of a factor in the punting game today. Worst ave. of season b Divers. I give us a B- on his one, overall, but the streak continues and now the schedule gets real serious with league games from here on in. Focus is a necessity, but it was great seeing Haggins and Soto becoming big contributors on O. Should open things up for Spadola and Kurfis. Ryan was doubled almost almost all day.

Southsider
October 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
QB play = B+
Running game = C-
Special Teams = C-
D play = B

Remaining schedule will be very interesting!! I hate to say it, but I have to agree with our friend P4L that LU is the UGLIEST unbeaten team in the land. (BTW, the Spotted Pussies are down by 21 with 5 min left)

ngineer
October 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM
QB play = B+
Running game = C-
Special Teams = C-
D play = B

Remaining schedule will be very interesting!! I hate to say it, but I have to agree with our friend P4L that LU is the UGLIEST unbeaten team in the land. (BTW, the Spotted Pussies are down by 21 with 5 min left)

Pretty much comports with my B- overall.

van
October 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Pretty much comports with my B- overall.

comports? Hey, there are some of us engineers here, lets not get too fancy!

Southsider
October 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
comports? Hey, there are some of us engineers here, lets not get too fancy!

Hey, I like ports. Use it in my Onion Soups all the time! Anyway, while watching LU makes me crazy, I am enjoying the winning!!

Hawk98
October 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
6-0, but they don't do it in a way that gives you a ton of confidence, do they? Georgetown, Bucknell, and Holy Cross up next, which should all be winnable games even with some minor mistakes, so hopefully they can get it straightened out in the next month and get into the Colgate game at 9-0.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Agree southsider. Our play is threatening to reignite my ulcers. But winning does soothe the pain. I cant avoid the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. If we dont fix, an average team playing a good game will beat us.

Southsider
October 6th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Exactly H2. I think we'll get through the next 2, setting up a huge game at home with the Gate. That's when the rubber hits the road. BTW, attendance today was embarrassing! No fans, no band, no noise. Why couldn't the break be scheduled for next week? ........and the PA guy is still the worst I have ever heard.

LehighU11
October 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Sometimes I think we play down to our opponent.

I said the same exact thing following today's game. Far too many penalties, special teams mishaps, and occasional poor decisions have made each game a couple scores closer than they should have been. These issues don't bode well for the remainder of the year after 6 weeks of consistent underperforming.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Imagine Andy agrees with us. Too deep in season to keep repeating same mental errors. I saw BB got in for some plays. He should habe been able to play all last period but we cant seem to put anyone away early. Bust out of the Gate, then take a period or two off then pull out a win. Today should habe been 49-7. Hoyas nect week. They lost nailbiter to Rams.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Think about this: you remove three plays in this game, it's a shutout.

Hawk98
October 6th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Think about this: you remove three plays in this game, it's a shutout.

But with those three mistakes, Colgate or Lafayette is an L instead of a W.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Absolutely, point well taken. That's what I was going with there.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Well maybe not the Pards, but Gate for sure. Hell, any half decent team could beat us on a givem day now. Just think if it continues and we make the playoffs. We will get killed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Well maybe not the Pards, but Gate for sure. Hell, any half decent team could beat us on a givem day now. Just think if it continues and we make the playoffs. We will get killed.

I think you're selling Lehigh sort. This team is better than you think. They could compete in the Big Sky this year for the playoffs. Look at some of the Top 25 scores. Outside of a couple teams there's a lot of close scores.

I think they can succeed in the playoffs if they do enough to get there.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM
The funny thing is that with Towson and Illinois State losing, Lehigh might move up a few spots in the polls.

RichH2
October 6th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Owl , I know we are good enuf to win most any game if we play. So far we've been getting by with the minimum which is not enuf to beat a playoff team.

Lehigh'98
October 6th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Don't think you can take much away from today's game. Columbia sucks and Lehigh was in a letdown spot after 2 tough wins. Didn't like the mental errors I saw from LU. If they play like that against better comp, they will lose. Lehigh needs to run the table and get a home playoff game to be competitive, don't think they have the firepower to go on the road and win.....BTW, the '95 and '98 games against Columbia were 2 fantastic finishes. Klingerman made a catch in '95 to rival his catch against LC and Taffe's fg in '98 saved an undefeated season after a putrid offensive game.

ngineer
October 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Don't think you can take much away from today's game. Columbia sucks and Lehigh was in a letdown spot after 2 tough wins. Didn't like the mental errors I saw from LU. If they play like that against better comp, they will lose. Lehigh needs to run the table and get a home playoff game to be competitive, don't think they have the firepower to go on the road and win.....BTW, the '95 and '98 games against Columbia were 2 fantastic finishes. Klingerman made a catch in '95 to rival his catch against LC and Taffe's fg in '98 saved an undefeated season after a putrid offensive game.

And if I recall, that win spurred a nice long undefeated streak that included a lot of close wins, and then a streak that went about another 4 seasons. As with Liberty and Fordham, it seems the intensity rises and falls with the competition. A lot of the penalties today were on the OL, which has a fair number of first year starters and a lot of position changes due to injuries. Noted the Pellegrini didn't play today due to concussion last week in practice. However, at this point in the season, matter must 'tighten up'. G'town will be a tough place next week. Despite a couple losses, they are showing themselves to be a dangerous team.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM

Wow, I remember that 95 Klingerman catch vs. Columbia now. He made the one-handed grab with his left hand, eerily prescient of his right-handed grab in the Lafayette game. Wish I had remembered it for the preview!

Go...gate
October 6th, 2012, 11:07 PM

Only if the Colgate defense improves.

RichH2
October 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Gate, hard to make slow players fast. So D will contnue to be an adventure for Gate. O, however will score on everyone , gives them a real shot to win PL. Our game will be a nailbiter.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
My recap:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/lehigh-35-columbia-14-final.html

I hate to call it ugly, or disappointing... but it sure was sloppier than I was hoping.

Southsider
October 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
My recap:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/lehigh-35-columbia-14-final.html

I hate to call it ugly, or disappointing... but it sure was sloppier than I was hoping.

Well, it was ugly and disappointing! No other way to describe it.

Pard4Life
October 7th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Showed up and halftime and left before the game was over because it was pathetic. Everyone was leaving when I was heading in.

RichH2
October 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
But our team stayed P4L and won. Pards have another curse game next week according to Carney. Will Pards show up? Or just keep blaming Tavani.

crusader11
October 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
But our team stayed P4L and won. Pards have another curse game next week according to Carney. Will Pards show up? Or just keep blaming Tavani.

Time for Lafayette to begin to look for a new coach, in my opinion. Although, methinks that Tavani can coach at Lafayette for as long as his dinosaur heart wants.

Since the Leopards' devastating loss to Holy Cross in 2009, they are 9-19.

One would have thought that Lafayette's superior football facilities would have brought similar results, but that simply hasn't happened. Their record since 2007 (when the Bourger Varsity Football House opened and renovations to the stadium were completed) is 31-29. Prior to these improvements, their record under Tavani was 38-42. They also won three straight PL Championships (2004-06) prior to the facility improvements.

Carney, P4L, Bogie, Tanks, what say you?

Southsider
October 8th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Time for Lafayette to begin to look for a new coach, in my opinion. Although, methinks that Tavani can coach at Lafayette for as long as his dinosaur heart wants.

Since the Leopards' devastating loss to Holy Cross in 2009, they are 9-19.

One would have thought that Lafayette's superior football facilities would have brought similar results, but that simply hasn't happened. Their record since 2007 (when the Bourger Varsity Football House opened and renovations to the stadium were completed) is 31-29. Prior to these improvements, their record under Tavani was 38-42. They also won three straight PL Championships (2004-06) prior to the facility improvements.

Carney, P4L, Bogie, Tanks, what say you?

Look, at this level you have to expect/accept that you will have your up and down swings. LU was on a roll under Higgins/Lembo, then Coen struggled out of the gate. Frank, while certainly not blameless, also had to deal with an admin that isn't exactly football friendly. He, or the next guy, will pull it together again. Schollies will definitely help.

crusader11
October 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
He, or the next guy, will pull it together again.

So, will it be "the next guy"?

Is Tavani on thin ice at all? I think the Lafayette admin is very content with Tavani.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/sundays-word-sunny.html

Still strangely unhappy with 6-0.

RichH2
October 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Just read . Damn you hit everyone of my frayed nerve endings. I trust that coaches will fix it but ,Lord anove, when?