PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Carolina Picked As 2006 Big South Football Favorite

rokamortis
July 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4800&ATCLID=518418

Coastal returns 21 starters from last year’s Big South co-champion squad that finished 9-2 overall, 3-1 in the Big South and ranked in three of the final Top 25 polls. David Bennett’s Chanticleers received 15 first-place votes and 90 total points in this year’s preseason poll. Charleston Southern, last year’s surprise program with a 7-4 record and co-champion with Coastal at 3-1, was voted second, its highest place ever in the preseason poll. Jay Mills’ Buccaneers received 61 total points, two ahead of Steve Patton’s Gardner-Webb Bulldogs. Gardner-Webb, which received one first-place vote, returns 23 starters from a squad that went 5-6 last year with a 2-2 Big South record.

Liberty, under the direction of new head coach Danny Rocco, was picked fourth in the poll with 50 points and received three first-place votes. The Flames, which lost its four Big South games by a combined 15 points, welcomes back 17 starters from last season. VMI, led by new coach Jim Reid, rounded out the voting with 25 points. The Keydets tied for third in the Big South last season at 2-2.

2006 Preseason Poll (first-place votes) 1 2 3 4 5 Points
1. Coastal Carolina (15)..............................75 12 3 -- -- 90
2. Charleston Southern.................................-- 32 24 4 1 61
3. Gardner-Webb (1)....................................5 20 27 6 1 59
4. Liberty (3)............................................... 15 12 3 16 4 50
5. VMI............................................... ..........-- -- -- 12 13 25

July 28th, 2006, 04:51 PM
pretty close voting...

CCUCheer
July 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yay GO CHANTS!!!
Can't wait for the first game. :-D Yayyayy
xoxo
<3 KK

WinthropEagleFan
July 28th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Two years ago, would anyone have ever expected CSU to be voted 2nd in this poll?

Jaques
July 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Two years ago, would anyone have ever expected CSU to be voted 2nd in this poll?

Love the helmet!:thumbsup:

gophoenix
July 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cool helmet, now you just need to put it on!!!! :)

OL FU
July 30th, 2006, 10:10 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek:
The fact that you don't play football helps me pull for you in basket ball:smiley_wi

rokamortis
July 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM

No, but I've been pretty high on CSU after the first year we played them. I knew that they were building a good program. It will be interesting to see if they embrace 'the power' and how they do against better competition.

In the same regard - 3 years ago would anyone have expected CCU to be picked 1st twice in a row?

SoCon48
July 30th, 2006, 04:35 PM

It's by default. Look at the competition.

MarkCCU
July 30th, 2006, 05:20 PM

hell no...they haven't had a strong team in thier short history but the last couple of years they have proved themselves to be a good teamthat is starting to come together

MarkCCU
July 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM
One of my clients' daughter goes to Liberty. and they came to my office, saw the CCU stuff on the wall and she goes, " Mom, his team beats up on us." i thought it was funny

AppGuy04
July 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM
wait, there are other football teams in the Big South other than Coastal, who knew?

SoCon48
July 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
One of my clients' daughter goes to Liberty. and they came to my office, saw the CCU stuff on the wall and she goes, " Mom, his team beats up on us." i thought it was funny

Hope you didn't laugh at the kid. She's evidently mentally challenged.
Liberty led almost the entire game last year and kept CCU out of the end zone until the last 5 minutes of the game. Took 3 OT's for CCU to finally pull out the 1 TD win.xcoffeex
When she said "beats up on us." she must have thought CCU was like most teams who do that to Liberty.:thumbsup:

Guess she missed the firsat meeting of the two teams when Libby won 38-21.