PDA

View Full Version : Socon week 6 power rankings?

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I honestly have no clue. Everyone has a blemish in conference play but Wofford, and everyone has signs of weakness in some sort, including Wofford.

The only criticism of our offense is that it isn't perfect, and the only criticism of the defense is that it's hard to tell how good we are in terms of pass defense because we're up by double digits in every game and thus other teams have to pass a lot.

Again, I think we are a capable team with the biggest upside of any team in the conference, but you won't get a more concrete opinion from me about us until about 3 weeks from now. Furman is a great team, as is App and GSU. We're in the beef of our schedule now

ElCid
September 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I honestly have no clue. Everyone has a blemish in conference play but Wofford, and everyone has signs of weakness in some sort, including Wofford.

Wofford weakness? You mean, like maybe some modesty?

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Wofford weakness? You mean, like maybe some modesty?

edited for elaboration. Last year taught me to be humble, let's hope that rubs off on the team.

We also haven't played a team with a winning record yet.

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Stop Breitenstein. Stop Williams. The team that accomplishes that wins. Otherwise it could be a major league rushing exhibition.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Stop Breitenstein. Stop Williams. The team that accomplishes that wins. Otherwise it could be a major league rushing exhibition.

After last year+playing at home=I like Wofford (Idk the margin), but that's homerism talking as well.

cbarrier90
September 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
1. Wofford

um...

8. Elon
9. WCU

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM
After last year+playing at home=I like Wofford (Idk the margin), but that's homerism talking as well.

I certainly don't disagree and that isn't homerism. Wofford has played consistently the best in the conference. I firmly believe we aren't the same team in the first two games, but we still have some large inconsistencies. I think we will give a better game than the first two games indicated. Whether we will improve enough to win, Any Given Saturday.

ElCid
September 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM
1. Wofford

um...

8. Elon
9. WCU

That about sums it up.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
1. Wofford

Log Jam Here

9. Western Carolina

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
That about sums it up.
xnodx

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I certainly don't disagree and that isn't homerism. Wofford has played consistently the best in the conference. I firmly believe we aren't the same team in the first two games, but we still have some large inconsistencies. I think we will give a better game than the first two games indicated. Whether we will improve enough to win, Any Given Saturday.

We haven't played anyone though. With that said, winning by a margin of 42-18ish in D1 games isn't bad. I'm more interested in Furman's defense. They lost key personnel from last year but have a consistent nucleus to work with defensively.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
We're not getting three teams into the playoffs this year. No way will three teams get out of this log jam with 7 DI wins.

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM
We haven't played anyone though. With that said, winning by a margin of 42-18ish in D1 games isn't bad. I'm more interested in Furman's defense. They lost key personnel from last year but have a consistent nucleus to work with defensively.

We still have a few really really good standouts. McGrath being a good example. But we still have problems giving up yards and points. The good thing about this game is that our weakness seems to be pass defense (isn't it always). But the WCU QB (not sure which one) ran pretty well against us tonight. On the other hand, we all know the option isn't the same type of running game.

Saint3333
September 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Other than WCU and Elon who wouldn't be undefeated with Wofford's schedule?

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM
We're not getting three teams into the playoffs this year. No way will three teams get out of this log jam with 7 DI wins.

The only teams that is eliminated is Western. Chattanooga and Elon are practically eliminated. Furman and Samford are in "panic mode" as they can't lose 2 more FCS games and make the playoffs unless they win the conference (but I don't see a 3 way tie at 3 losses as realistic, no matter who wins).

The Citadel, App, Wofford, and GSU just needs to win 4 more games to make the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Other than WCU and Elon who wouldn't be undefeated with Wofford's schedule?

it's not that we're winning, it's the way we're winning.

Skjellyfetti
September 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Wofford has a TOUGH four week stretch in mid-October to early November including back-to-back weeks at Statesboro and at Boone. We'll see.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Wofford's school record for points scored in a season is 444 (done in 13 games in 2007). We already have 215. to set the regular season record of 411 we just need 194 in 7 games we just need 28 points per game. Sure, that number is skewed by the Lincoln game, but we've played equally weak schedules in years past.

Now, this may fall under the "who give a ****" category, but the reason people like me are a little excited is because we have a lot of depth and talent at the offensive skill position to where, if we don't make mistakes, we can score a lot of points.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I think if Wofford beats Furman, we will likely make the playoffs. If we win against GSU and App, I like our chances to win the conference. Then again, I think we would think that of any team that started 5-0/7-0/beats App and GSU.

cbarrier90
September 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Running up scores against vastly inferior teams. Again, there are plenty of teams in this conference with that ability. From experience, you really don't learn anything new about your team until you stop feasting on cupcakes.

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wofford's school record for points scored in a season is 444 (done in 13 games in 2007). We already have 215. to set the regular season record of 411 we just need 194 in 7 games we just need 28 points per game. Sure, that number is skewed by the Lincoln game, but we've played equally weak schedules in years past.

Now, this may fall under the "who give a ****" category, but the reason people like me are a little excited is because we have a lot of depth and talent at the offensive skill position to where, if we don't make mistakes, we can score a lot of points.

I don't give a ****:p:D

cbarrier90
September 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I think if Wofford beats any one of App/GSU/Samford/Citadel, we will likely make the playoffs.

Fixed that for ya. xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Running up scores against vastly inferior teams. Again, there are plenty of teams in this conference with that ability. From experience, you really don't learn anything new about your team until you stop feasting on cupcakes.

Running up the score? Scoring 2 TDs in the 4th against Elon when going into the 4th we're up 35-21 is running up the score? Pulling the starters halfway through the third against Western and GWU is running up the score? I mean I can understand thinking that against Lincoln, but we pulled the starters after the first quarter. Having watched my team play cupcakes in the past, in which our offense kind of sputtered after the starters exited the game, I think I can safely say that we have a lot of talent and depth on offense, at least in comparison to past years because our running backs are consistent in ability, regardless of their position in the 2 deep. With the exception of EB of course.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Fixed that for ya. xthumbsupx

need to win 2 of those as we need 8 wins to get in the playoffs this year.

T-Dog
September 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
If we win against GSU and App, I like our chances to win the conference. .

In other breaking news, water is wet.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 29th, 2012, 09:06 PM
GSU, App., and Furman all seem to be getting better, and perhaps App. is moreso than the other two.

My best guess is...App @ GSU will decide if Wofford or Appie wins the conference outright.

GlassOnion
September 29th, 2012, 09:06 PM

The scores of Woffords games are not that amazing.

34-7 against Gardner Webb. GW is 0-4 and the week after wofford played them, an 0-4 Richmond team beat them down 41-8.
82-0 against Lincoln. Must I add anything?
49-20 against W Carolina. Thats just par for the course. Look at Western's last 40 games, and I bet theyve lost that bad or worse in more than 50% of those games.
49-24 against Elon. Theyre exactly where they were before Lembo showed up.

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM

34-7 against Gardner Webb. GW is 0-4 and the week after wofford played them, an 0-4 Richmond team beat them down 41-8.
49-20 against W Carolina. Thats just par for the course. Look at Western's last 40 games, and I bet theyve lost that bad or worse in more than 50% of those games.

Thank you for giving me hopexthumbsupx

GATA
September 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM

I'm not gonna knock Wofford for taking care of business against teams they are superior to.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I'm not gonna knock Wofford for taking care of business against teams they are superior to.

Yes...unlike...pretty much every other team in this conference.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
In other breaking news, water is wet.

I said that in the second half of that sentence though -_-

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Averaging about 485 yards rushing when we generally average 340 rushing is an improvement.

T-Dog
September 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I've been drinking all day, give me a break.

But anyway, we looked really good today. Take away two consecutive defensive series in the second quarter after we were up 28-0 and the defense played very well. The offensive stats speak for themselves. With Elon and Samford next, we could be in a serious groove by the time Woffie comes to town.

cbarrier90
September 29th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Running up the score? Scoring 2 TDs in the 4th against Elon when going into the 4th we're up 35-21 is running up the score? Pulling the starters halfway through the third against Western and GWU is running up the score? I mean I can understand thinking that against Lincoln, but we pulled the starters after the first quarter.

You read the first sentence of my post and missed the point...

Having watched my team play cupcakes in the past, in which our offense kind of sputtered after the starters exited the game, I think I can safely say that we have a lot of talent and depth on offense, at least in comparison to past years because our running backs are consistent in ability, regardless of their position in the 2 deep. With the exception of EB of course.

Watch out, SoCon! Wofford's 2's can run on Lincoln's 2's...

You just proved my point. The only thing you found in that game was something you can see on your roster page online: You have alot of depth at RB.

How do your players react to adversity? Is there anyone on the team that can spell EB when he has a bad day? Does your O-Line have what it takes to stand up to great team speed? Can the offense perform well enough to overcome large deficits? What happens if they're forced to pass more out of the triple option?

Those are questions that you answer in non-conference play so they can be dealt with appropriately and the team is hitting their stride by the time conference play rolls around. Not only that, but the wild west that is the 2012 Southern Conference may not have more than 2 or 3 teams represented in the playoffs, many of whom should have at least a loss or two. If Wofford is on the bubble, the Lincoln game could ultimately come back to haunt them.

GlassOnion
September 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Gotta fix that, I got the W&M record mixed up with Richmonds. Richmond was 3-1 before tonight. I was laughing too heartily at Ga States most current blowout loss to think correctly. 0-4 W&M stomped Ga St.

GlassOnion
September 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Averaging about 485 yards rushing when we generally average 340 rushing is an improvement.

Against WHO exactly?

That is a D2 level schedule to date, there are probably 20 FCS teams that could stomp that schedule.

OL FU
September 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM

You just proved my point. The only thing you found in that game was something you can see on your roster page online: You have alot of depth at RB.

How do your players react to adversity? Is there anyone on the team that can spell EB when he has a bad day? Does your O-Line have what it takes to stand up to great team speed? Can the offense perform well enough to overcome large deficits? What happens if they're forced to pass more out of the triple option?

Those are questions that you answer in non-conference play so they can be dealt with appropriately and the team is hitting their stride by the time conference play rolls around. Not only that, but the wild west that is the 2012 Southern Conference may not have more than 2 or 3 teams represented in the playoffs, many of whom should have at least a loss or two. If Wofford is on the bubble, the Lincoln game could ultimately come back to haunt them.

Look, Wofford has done what they have to do. Do we know how good they are. No. they beat an Elon team pretty well that kept GSU close, a team that most thought would win the conference.

I wish I was confident enough to say that the game next week will tell us how good WC is, but I am not. I do think we are getting better and have a decent shot, but even if we win, it won't tell us much about Wofford or us. Still got to get through the tought part of the schedule.

I was surprised on the Citadel Game. haven't read all the threads but would be interesting in hearing and El Cid fan on what happened.

theasushow
September 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I don't care if you rush for 700 yards per game, eventually you will run into a team or two that can stop the TO, and you have you be able to pass as well...I am interested to see what Wofford can do when forced to throw (it will happen). Wofford threw for 16 yards today.... and average about 60 on the season.

fc97
September 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM

give me an effing break, we were averaging giving up tons more yardage to worse teams, and were not running up 400 yards of offense before lembo, swepson sucks but he's not tht idioy hamilton

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM

to answer your second and third question, the answer is yes, his name is Donovan Johnson, I think he was in the top 8 or so in the conference in rushing last year, which isn't bad considering it's a conference with Jerodis Williams and 3 triple option teams, and he backs up EB. The only asterisk on this is that he tweaked an ankle today. As for the second question, we dominated an Elon defense that played adequately against GSU last week. The deficit question isn't worth asking unless you're in the situation, generally speaking most every option team rarely comes back from 3 scores down or so. Also, our pass game is improved from last year, it's just that our coach likes to use it to get cute when the option will do. In other words, no one really cared about our pass game last year, and I can tell you now it has improved. It wasn't that big of a deal last year so let's not make it one now when it's improved.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I don't care if you rush for 700 yards per game, eventually you will run into a team or two that can stop the TO, and you have you be able to pass as well...I am interested to see what Wofford can do when forced to throw (it will happen). Wofford threw for 16 yards today.... and average about 60 on the season.

I'm not banking on running it for 400 or 500 or even 300 on every team, my point is that we're performing demonstrably better in comparison to past years against similar opponents, and through that I logically like our chances against teams that play the TO better.

Again, I'm not predicting a conference championship, I'm just really optimistic with what out upside is from what I've seen so far, and I think there's good reason to be optimistic if you're a Wofford fan. Sure, there are question marks, but if you would notice, these question marks are the same that pop up every year.

Can Wofford pass it efficiently? What if Wofford plays a legitimate defense? Etc etc.

ElCid
September 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I was surprised on the Citadel Game. haven't read all the threads but would be interesting in hearing and El Cid fan on what happened.

What happened was our option execution was slow, they stopped the Dogs cold with awesome D. For their offense, they ran it down our throat, all while we knew they were going to do that, as least per Coach Higgins' post game interview. Robinson was athletic and explosive for UTC. Jr. did not do bad, but we had some success at stopping him. UTC controlled the tempo and even though the Cid passing came alive very well, they stopped the Dogs by controlling the time of possession with sustained drives. We just could not get back into it with a spotty running game. Hats off to their D. Some Dog turnovers late sealed the deal, but it was never really in any doubt. UTC was also turnover free and it seems the Dogs need some freebies to win.

HartleysHuddle
September 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
So SoCon prognosticators...

Which game should I go to next weekend? Which game is going to be a sloberknocker of a matchup?

Furman at Wofford
OR
Elon at Appalachian State

I have yet to meet a member of this board on my travels thus far and would love to meet some of y'all!xeyebrowx

GlassOnion
September 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM

Which game should I go to next weekend? Which game is going to be a sloberknocker of a matchup?

Furman at Wofford
OR

I have yet to meet a member of this board on my travels thus far and would love to meet some of y'all!xeyebrowx

Furman Wofford. No question.

walliver
September 29th, 2012, 10:34 PM
These kind of weeks hurt the SoCon's chances of 4 teams in the playoffs. This season is somewhat similar to 2003 when only one team made the playoffs.

That being said, GSU's TO should get a little better each week and the Eagles should peak in late October/early November.
ASU is not dominant as they were during the three-peat era, but can afford to lose two more games and still make the playoffs.
Wofford is on the driver's seat, but will have to step up the triple option to get past ASU, GSU, Chatty and FU. (A TO consisting of Breitenstein left, Breitenstein right and Breitenstein up the middle won't cut it against better teams)
If GSU wins out (except UGA) they will get the auto-bid, the same for ASU and Wofford.

My rankings:
1) Wofford (I hate to do this because it could stir up bad mojo, but the team is still undefeated - although there are definitely issues)
2) GSU - the Eagles haven't had a great game yet, but if they can keep from putting the ball on the ground, may likely be playing well after Thanksgiving.
3) ASU - the Citadel game will be a recurring nightmare for ASU fans who look backward, but the team seems to be looking forward.
4) Chatty - Unpredictable, but good talent. Probably relegated to a spoiler role
5) The Citadel - the little dogs from Chucktown appear to have peaked too early. Their schedule from here out is favorable and the playoffs are still in reach, Their only real tests going forward are FU and WC. Citadel is more likely to make the playoffs than Chatty, but I think Chatty is playing better.
6) Samford - could be rated anywhere from 4-6. Still have ASU, WC, Chatty left on the schedule.
7) FU - Started poorly, but appear to be playing better, but still have the Big Three to face (and lament that FU used to be part of that group) ;)
8) Elon - A team whose defensive strategy is to stop the outside run and see if a Walter Peyton candidate can beat them up the middle has coaching issues.
9) WCU - Rebuilding takes a while.

walliver
September 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM

Furman at Wofford
OR

The ASU-Elon series is very one-sided (It has been a long time since Elon won)
Wofford and Furman first played in 1889, and the series has been reasonably close the last decade.

WC-FU will be a much better football game, although Elon-ASU will be a louder experience (Wofford and Furman fans will just argue about whether Brie goes better with a Chardonnay or a Reisling.)

atlfcsfan
September 29th, 2012, 10:45 PM
1. Wofford only undefeated team in conference
2. Ga Southern seems to be getting better each week
3. App State seems to be exercising the demons of the citadel loss
4. Citadel 2 big conference wins, but teams are really game planning for them now
5. Samford weak schedule, still need a signature victory
6. Chattanooga could suprise if they can keep Robinson on the field
7. Furman will have the chance to show they are legit next week
8. Elon not ready for primetime yet
9. W Carolina still on the bottom looking up

woffordgrad94
September 29th, 2012, 11:00 PM
1. WOFFORD: We know we haven't played a strong schedule thus far, which we have been reminded of on AGS ad nauseum, but we have still solidly taken care of business as we should have and are the only team unbeaten in conference play.
2. ASU: very impressive today, starting to get on track
3. GSU: ditto
4. Citadel: came back to earth today
5. Samford: still dangerous-just ran into an angry GSU team today
6. Chattanooga: good win today against the Bellhops, could move up
7. Furman: don't know how good they are quite yet- Wofford game will tell us a lot
8. Elon: not very impressive today- I expected a tougher battle from them
9. WCU: new coach, but still same song, different verse

whoanellie
September 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM
When a team is so dominant rushing the football running and blocking, As solid as Wofford's defense was in solid tackling I just am stating that if Wofford plays at this level the rest of the season then everyone no one else is
going to hoist a conference trophy.
I hope Elon is not as bad defensively as they were today but that is what a Ayer's coached can do to you. I believe Elon is capable of beating any school left on our schedule
and also getting our asses handed to them. Thanks to U of Idaho, they lost to UNC today 66-0. Thus over taking the worst drubbing historically by the Tarheel's .

The only criticism of our offense is that it isn't perfect, and the only criticism of the defense is that it's hard to tell how good we are in terms of pass defense because we're up by double digits in every game and thus other teams have to pass a lot.

Again, I think we are a capable team with the biggest upside of any team in the conference, but you won't get a more concrete opinion from me about us until about 3 weeks from now. Furman is a great team, as is App and GSU. We're in the beef of our schedule now

woffordgrad94
September 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Idaho should never have become FBS. They really still belong in the Big Sky.

ElCid
September 29th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Normally I would reflect longer and do more research but I will be without internet for most of week beginning tomorrow.

1) Wofford - Good win on the road but schedule is still light--convincing wins keep them on top.
2) ASU - Two good solid back to back wins, only getting better.
3) GSU - Looks to be on upswing, but not quite ahead of ASU.
4) The Citadel - Back to back loses have tarnished the Dogs, but still strong enough for another 3-4 conference wins. A sloppy lose to Samford and the Dogs drop to 6 or even 7 if Furman pulls it out.
5) UTC - They have obviously recovered from oblivion, but one conference win does not a season make and they are still behind Cid. They "could" win 4 more conf games--let's see if they do.
6) Samford - may have been unmasked, next week will tell the tale of both Bulldogs
7) FU - Playing much better apparently, and gaining confidence--I am hating that they are Cid's last game.
8) Elon - Will be a long season--I watched part of the game today and they really did look pretty bad.
9) WCU - Still on hold

Furman @ Wofford - Wofford by a couple TDs, who can stop EB?
Citadel @ Samford - I can promise that the Bulldogs will win in a close one. Who will rebound better? Edge to Cid.
Elon @ App - not even close.
GSU @ WCU - should be easy.

woffordgrad94
September 29th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Next Week:

WOFFORD 42, FURMAN 28- Paladins will keep it interesting for a while, but in the end the Terrier offense, led by EB, will prove to be a bit too much
SAMFORD 24, THE CITADEL 21- The battle of the Bulldogs is huge for playoff implications- the loser may have a hard time rebounding from what would be their 2nd league loss. I expect a tough battle, but the edge goes to the home team...Sammy will be facing the option for the second week in a row
APPALACHIAN STATE 55, ELON 17...The Mountaineers will roll at Kidd-Brewer in this one
GEORGIA SOUTHERN 45, WESTERN CAROLINA 21...another long day for the Cats

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I think every game this week but GSU-WCU will be close.

seantaylor
September 30th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Just really trying to figure out how anybody would have Appy ahead of GSU when they got beat by a 100 at home.

Mountaineer#96
September 30th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Just really trying to figure out how anybody would have Appy ahead of GSU when they got beat by a 100 at home.

I was thinking the same thing, I guess they saw a decent Coastal team get the same thing just done to them and called us par for the course.

woffordgrad94
September 30th, 2012, 08:32 AM

I was impressed with ASU throttling a Coastal Carolina team that is no joke and already had beaten one SoCon team (Furman) this year...and that GSU close call with an Elon team that quite frankly I don't think is very good right now was also in my mind. In another week, it might be totally different depending on what happens Saturday.

GlassOnion
September 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM
1. Wofford: Undefeated
2. Citadel: 1 Socon loss, but still got the tie breakers over App/GSU
3. GSU: As for App GSU, I think theyre fairly equal, but we'll know more after the App/Elon game this week with 2 common opponents
4. ASU:
5. Samford: Samfords got 1 conference loss, but Ive got to see them take down either GSU/App/Wofford before I move them up, GSU is now out...
6. Chattanooga: About what I expected. Cant play well until smacked around first.
7. Furman: Meh
8. Elon: Ehh
9. WCU: Eww.

atlfcsfan
September 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Gave my rankings, might as well give my predictions. Was a perfect 5-0 last week with my picks.

Furman vs Wofford Wofford by couple of td's
Elon vs App State App wins but app is still young and inconsistent and its homecoming, App by 10
GSU vs W Carolina GSU wins but the Cats will battle them, GSU by 7
Citadel vs Samford A close one here, but give Sammie the edge at home. Sam by 3