PDA

View Full Version : Southern gets nod in SWAC West

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Southern gets nod in SWAC West

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jul 28, 2006

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Though the numbers don’t seem to add up, Southern was installed as the favorite in the Western Division, edging Grambling by one point, when the Southwestern Athletic Conference unveiled its preseason honors and predicted order of finish.

“That’s out of respect for our program,” Southern coach Pete Richardson, entering his 14th season, said. “We’ve got a young team, but we know we’re going to be competitive.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/3443206.html

Jag4Life
July 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

AppGuy04
July 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I have them ranked #22 in my preseason poll and Grambling NR, so maybe I'll be right

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Same Ole Jags :nod:

Go...gate
July 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM
The pre-season books (Athlon, Sporting News, Street and Smith's, etc.) seem to indicate that SU recruited well and have at least one really good I-A transfer, so this sounds right on.

Jag4Life
July 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
The pre-season books (Athlon, Sporting News, Street and Smith's, etc.) seem to indicate that SU recruited well and have at least one really good I-A transfer, so this sounds right on.
I agree! You are right! ;) :nod: :hurray:

Catmendue2
July 28th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Then why did Grambling make the Pre season top 25 and SU didn't.:nod:

mikebigg
July 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Then why did Grambling make the Pre season top 25 and SU didn't.:nod:

Nothing against the jags, but when you go Unit by Unit...

QB...Advantage SU (simply because Landers sat out last year)
Backfield...Advantage Grambling
WR's... Advantage Grambling
OL...Advantage Grambling
DL... Advantage Grambling
LB's... Even
DB's...Advantage Grambling
Specialty Team...Even
Depth... Grambling

Jag4Life
July 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Nothing against the jags, but when you go Unit by Unit...

Backfield...Advantage Grambling
WR's... Advantage Grambling
OL...Advantage Grambling
DL... Advantage Grambling
LB's... Even
DB's...Advantage Grambling
Specialty Team...Even
Depth... Grambling
Dude, SU has better cornerbacks then Gram. SU return 5 Freshman from last year, 3 transfers, and 2 veterans? What CBs does Grambling have? Everything is right, No the WR's are not right. Just because Gram have people that made the list doesn't mean nothing. Mike obviously I see you haven't done any research.

QB - SU
WRs - Even
OL - Gram
DL - Gram
LB - Even
DB - Even
RB - Gram
Special Teams - Even
Depth - Gram

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 29th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Dude, SU has better cornerbacks then Gram. SU return 5 Freshman from last year, 3 transfers, and 2 veterans? What CBs does Grambling have? Everything is right, No the WR's are not right. Just because Gram have people that made the list doesn't mean nothing. Mike obviously I see you haven't done any research.

QB - SU
WRs - Even
OL - Gram
DL - Gram
LB - Even
DB - Even
RB - Gram
Special Teams - Even
Depth - Gram
COACHING - SU.

July 29th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I must admit I was highly surprised by this as I bet a bunch of SU fans were as well.

MACHIAVELLI
July 29th, 2006, 05:41 AM

QB - SU
WRs - Even
OL - Gram
DL - Gram
LB - Even
DB - Even
RB - Gram
Special Teams - Even
Depth - Gram

FACTS:
THE ICON's defense was ranked 24th nationally. southerns defense was ranked 103rd. ICON has two WR's on the first team. (Tolbert, Abney and Edwards) accounted for 146 receptions, over 2700 yards receiving and 35 TDs. Henry Tolbert had 19 td's, southern's team had 20.

southern's top returning receivers:
Landry.........39...574...4
Overstreet....21...252...2
Turner..........10...162...1
Joseph..........7.....143..0
Thomas........4......43...1
Jones...........1.......18...0
Lowe............1.......8...0

ICON's DB's/S:
#2 Greg Fassitt 6-1 Sr.
#29 D. Dizer 6-1 Sr.
#26 Z. Wilborne 6-0 Jr.
#6 B. Guice 5-10 Sr.

other notables:
#20 B.Langford..6-0 jr
#17 B. Logan 6-2 sr

Transfers:(since brought them up)
J. Nelson transfer from USM or MSU
J. Jack transfer from LSU
P. Brown transfer from UVA

Obviously I see you haven't done any research.

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM
FACTS:
THE ICON's defense was ranked 24th nationally. southerns defense was ranked 103rd. ICON has two WR's on the first team. (Tolbert, Abney and Edwards) accounted for 146 receptions, over 2700 yards receiving and 35 TDs. Henry Tolbert had 19 td's, southern's team had 20.

southern's top returning receivers:
Landry.........39...574...4
Overstreet....21...252...2
Turner..........10...162...1
Joseph..........7.....143..0
Thomas........4......43...1
Jones...........1.......18...0
Lowe............1.......8...0

ICON's DB's/S:
#2 Greg Fassitt 6-1 Sr.
#29 D. Dizer 6-1 Sr.
#26 Z. Wilborne 6-0 Jr.
#6 B. Guice 5-10 Sr.

other notables:
#20 B.Langford..6-0 jr
#17 B. Logan 6-2 sr

Transfers:(since brought them up)
J. Nelson transfer from USM or MSU
J. Jack transfer from LSU
P. Brown transfer from UVA

Obviously I see you haven't done any research.

Don't touch the DBs! Jags DB's/S

#19 M.Wilkerson .. 5'10 SO
#21 R.Thomas .. 6'1 SO
#22 M.Williams .. 5'11 R-SO
#23 T Akinwale 5'10 SO

other notables:

G Bell .. 5'9.. JR
T Brown 5'10.. R-JR

Transfers since you brought it up......

J Manning transfer from Florida State
E Osawemwenze transfer from UAPB
J George transfer from a JUCO. (he's been with SU program, but left after not becoming egible.

2 Veterans:

Denard Duehart .. 5-9 170
Dio Bernard .. 6'0 SR

MACH I know you hate SU, but d@mn you ain't got to hate them that bad! :nono: :nono:

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Special Team as of now I might give the nod to GSU at the Punter position!

MACHIAVELLI
July 29th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Don't touch the DBs! Jags DB's/S

#19 M.Wilkerson .. 5'10 SO
#21 R.Thomas .. 6'1 SO
#22 M.Williams .. 5'11 R-SO
#23 T Akinwale 5'10 SO

MACH I know you hate SU, but d@mn you ain't got to hate them that bad! :nono: :nono:

Facts are facts. Dude I've known Mike Williams for some time now. I hope he does well. He was on the team at Natchez High when I was living there. But none of the southerns db's was worth a dime. Maybe they will be better by the time they are seniors. QB's were thowing to Mkes side alot, that is why he had lots of tackles. The proof is in the stats. ICON's DB's picked off 17 passes and southern db's picked off 4. southern was ranked 8th in pass defense ahead of prairie view and texas southern. PV db's had 10 int's and txsu had 8. southern db's had the least int's in the conference. But you want us to believe that those numbers don't mean anything. Dude you are a homer, it is understandable you southern people tend to take things like that waaaaaaay to far. I mean come on, you said that The ICON and southerns wide receivers were even. Anyone that knows anything about the SWAC knows you have no creditbility after making that statement. Good luck preseason west pick.

MACHIAVELLI
July 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Special Team as of now I might get the nod to GSU at the Punter position!

Right now it is southern

MACHIAVELLI
July 29th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Mike what if we start this guy?

Desmond Brentley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3jYO4p5nSc)

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Mike what if we start this guy?

Desmond Brentley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3jYO4p5nSc)
Your point? Tell coach Spears to start him!

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Facts are facts. Dude I've known Mike Williams for some time now. I hope he does well. He was on the team nat Natchez High when I was living there. But none of the souherns db's was worth a dime. Maybe they will be better by the time they are seniors. QB's were thowing to Mkes side alot, that is why he had lots of tackles. The proof is in the stats. ICON's DB's picked off 17 passes and southern db's picked off 4. southern was ranked 8th in pass defense ahead of prairie view and texas southern. PV db's had 10 int's and txsu had 8. southern db's had the least int's in the conference. But you want us to believe that those numbers don't mean anything. Dude you are a homer, it is understandable you southern people tend to take things like that waaaaaaay to far. I mean come on, you said that The ICON and southerns wide receivers were even. Anyone that knows anything about the SWAC knows you have no creditbility after making that statement. Good luck preseason west pick.Dude, you for yourself that SU could have beat Gram. 4 or 5 dropped interceptions could have been touchdowns. You gonna see.

MACHIAVELLI
July 29th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Dude, you for yourself that SU could have beat Gram. 4 or 5 dropped interceptions could have been touchdowns. You gonna see.

Dude...this is the internet. People, if they choose, can look up info. please don't let the facts cloud your Homerism.

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Dude...this is the internet. People, if they choose, can look up info. please don't let the facts cloud your Homerism.
whatever MACH! :rotateh: You will see for yourself, dont choke September 2nd.

July 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM
whatever MACH! :rotateh:wow, and this is the discussion board? "whatever" doesn't cut it.

R.A.
July 29th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Special Team as of now I might give the nod to GSU at the Punter position!

-They got Blue!!

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 06:51 PM
-They got Blue!!
It doesn't matter who they have. KR is even.

DeLovely87
July 29th, 2006, 10:34 PM
This should be interesting.

Retro
July 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM
It doesn't matter who wins the swac because you won't be in the playoffs playing for the national title like the rest of us are aiming for.:rolleyes:

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 29th, 2006, 10:55 PM
It doesn't matter who wins the swac because you won't be in the playoffs playing for the national title like the rest of us are aiming for.:rolleyes:
: smh :

It must interest you, because you're in this thread.

Jag4Life
July 30th, 2006, 07:41 AM
: smh :

It must interest you, because you're in this thread.
My point exactly, now back to the topic. DeLovely87 I agree, It is going to be interesting because Gram folks are always on someone's opinion. If say positive about SU's DB's somebody from Gram will quote my post talking stuff. They just don't accept the fact that everybody's isn't for Grambling. We shall see 87.

Catmendue2
July 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Stats don't lie in the SWAC. As for Brentley, I hope Grambling signs those receivers Brentley was throwing to in Pittsburgh.

MACHIAVELLI
July 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
DeLovely87 I agree, It is going to be interesting because Gram folks are always on someone's opinion. If say positive about SU's DB's somebody from Gram will quote my post talking stuff. They just don't accept the fact that everybody's isn't for Grambling. We shall see 87.

You don't have to be for THE ICON. Don't let the facts get in your way. You still haven't shown anyone that southern's wide receivers for db's are better or even with the ICON's, you just gave your opinion. I presented to those who were interested facts that would give you a side by side comparison. It is obvious, to non homers, who was better.

My opinion:
QB - su (only because Landers sat out a year after starting as a freshman)
WRs - ICON
OL - ICON
DL - ICON
LB - ICON
DB - ICON
RB - ICON
Special Teams - su
Depth - ICON

BLUE TIGER
July 30th, 2006, 07:24 PM

I feel you on this one, and you don't have to worry about JSU because Comegy has already made it clear to the president that he wants that 1AA championship. He already has 2 national championships in NAIA and he could have easily had 3 or 4 on the D2 level, but Tuskegee didn't participate in the playoffs. All SWAC presidents will make a decision this winter about the future of the SWAC championship game. I can tell you right now that JSU will have no part of a SWAC championship game in the near future. We'll see you in the playoffs in 2007!

Jag4Life
July 30th, 2006, 07:37 PM
You don't have to be for THE ICON. Don't let the facts get in your way. You still haven't shown anyone that southern's wide receivers for db's are better or even with the ICON's, you just gave your opinion. I presented to those who were interested facts that would give you a side by side comparison. It is obvious, to non homers, who was better.

My opinion:
QB - su (only because Landers sat out a year after starting as a freshman)
WRs - ICON
OL - ICON
DL - ICON
LB - ICON
DB - ICON
RB - ICON
Special Teams - su
Depth - ICONTHAT'S YOUR OPINION!

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 30th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I feel you on this one, and you don't have to worry about JSU because Comegy has already made it clear to the president that he wants that 1AA championship. He already has 2 national championships in NAIA and he could have easily had 3 or 4 on the D2 level, but Tuskegee didn't participate in the playoffs. All SWAC presidents will make a decision this winter about the future of the SWAC championship game. I can tell you right now that JSU will have no part of a SWAC championship game in the near future. We'll see you in the playoffs in 2007!
xlolx xlolx Like Comegy has any power. xlolx

BLUE TIGER
July 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM

You have no idea and we shall see come 2007. :nod:

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM
You have no idea and we shall see come 2007. :nod:
xlolx xlolx
xlolx xlolx
They will do what the Swac office tells them to do, not Coach Comegy.xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Grambling doesn't have a home game until Oct.21. :eek: :eek:

HIU 93
August 1st, 2006, 06:27 PM

You mean, it doesn't matter to you. It matters to Southern and Grambling folks, SWAC folks, and quite a large amount of the TV viewing population on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (if you pay attention to the ratings). So the :rolleyes: applies to you.

biobengal
August 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Maybe your right, money..... ratings..... attendance.... you know, the real reason why athletics are important to colleges and universities.

Honestly, what exactly does Grambling or Southern have to gain by playing a pseudo bowl game? More SWAC championships against the weak sisters? Is that the some of it? Now don't get me wrong, I think the game is a great event, but in the end its just that, an event with few national ramifications.

Come on SWAC, grow some and join the fray.

By the way, what do SWAC fans think about the potential name change that will presumably reflect the playoff nature of the division?

mikebigg
August 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
Maybe your right, money..... ratings..... attendance.... you know, the real reason why athletics are important to colleges and universities.

Honestly, what exactly does Grambling or Southern have to gain by playing a pseudo bowl game? More SWAC championships against the weak sisters? Is that the some of it? Now don't get me wrong, I think the game is a great event, but in the end its just that, an event with few national ramifications.

By the way, what do SWAC fans think about the potential name change that will presumably reflect the playoff nature of the division?

Grow some what? We have enuff balls to say "No thanks" to an organization that wants us to change our schedule to comply with their whims. When the NCAA 1AA decided to have a playoffs, they told us to either change our regular season schedule of lose our automatic bid. Perhaps they thought we had no choice but to comply. Well, we said "cfuk it" and expanded our league to have a championship game.

If they payoff was better and the seeding was more equitable (especially in the earlier years) who knows we might have decided to participate. But Grambling and Southern (plus Bama State) didn't want to change our REGULAR season schedule. Isn't that our perogative? Your schools decide to participate in the playoffs...Cool by me. We went in the opposite direction...we had the balls and the resources to do just that!

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
COACHING - SU.

Coachings right by Miles:nod:

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Grambling doesn't have a home game until Oct.21. :eek: :eek:

I think we only have 4 home games....:(

Welcome to the club.

jstate83
August 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM

Don't worry.......................We'll be back to running thang's shortly............I know that SUck's for you. xlolx

HIU 93
August 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM

I guess your school can find no use for a $1,000,000 guaranteed payoff. Such is life. You will never get one. Go ahead GSU and SU. Collect your check and laugh at the rest of these fools all the way to the bank.

August 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
... When the NCAA 1AA decided to have a playoffs, they told us to either change our regular season schedule of lose our automatic bid... If they payoff was better and the seeding was more equitable... We went in the opposite direction...we had the balls and the resources to do just that!I have had about enough of the misconceptions and mistruths spread around here on this subject.
1. "When the NCAA 1AA [sic] decided to have a playoffs" they did not tell the SWAC or teams to change their schedule. Grambling was in the playoffs many times.
2. The SWAC never had an AQ.
3. Equitable seeding? The SWAC got multiple bids (thrice) and byes even.
4. Maybe "the balls" you refer to were grown after the SWAC compiled a 0-19 playoff record and never won a playoff game?
5. Maybe "the resources" you refer to come from playing a Bayou game on a day when practically everyone else's regular season is over (the weekend AFTER rivalry weekend)?

Get mad at me if you want but let's try to understand the facts...

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060115132359621&query=SWAC

mikebigg
August 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
I have had about enough of the misconceptions and mistruths spread around here on this subject.
1. "When the NCAA 1AA [sic] decided to have a playoffs" they did not tell the SWAC or teams to change their schedule. Grambling was in the playoffs many times.
4. Maybe "the balls" you refer to were grown after the SWAC compiled a 0-19 playoff record and never won a playoff game?
5. Maybe "the resources" you refer to come from playing a Bayou game on a day when practically everyone else's regular season is over (the weekend AFTER rivalry weekend)?

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060115132359621&query=SWAC

Why would I get mad? Unlike some of the regulars, I don't get upset when someone has an opinion.

1. "When the NCAA 1AA [sic] decided to have a playoffs" they did not tell the SWAC or teams to change their schedule. Grambling was in the playoffs many times

You are splitting hairs...No, they didn't say change your schedule. They said, "unless you are available on the last Saturday in November you will lose your auto bid". They knew dayum well that the Bayou Classic was played on that date in alternate years. The only reason we didn't was because Tulane/LSU had precedent since the dome is Tulane's home schedule. It should be obvious (even to those with slanted opinions) that our schools preferred the Saturday after Thanksgiving...everytime that date was available.

2. The SWAC never had an AQ. Don't know what an AQ is? When you elaborate, I will reply.

So out of 19 years, we got two teams three times. Whoopee... but let's talk about Grambling's playoff. Maybe you can tell me why our 1980 team that was higher ranked was sent to Boise St to play in sub zero temperatures? Did you know that we lost a thriller on the road to SFA when a controversial call on an obvious touchdown resulted in not only a missed score but back to back unsportsmanlike penalties took us out of field goal range. The first call was because the receiver who was denied the catch, jumped to his feet and asked why? Then the ref hit him with another 15 yards when he asked about the first call. Those type things happen on the road though. Our only other playoff appearance was also on the road at Jonesboro Arkansas to Ark St. A close game that we lost 10-7 when they either scored or set up a score on a fumblerooski. Good game that could have gone our way but didn't. Hard to win a close game on the road... seems like Gram never could get a home field seeding, regardless of our regular season record.

4. No dude, I was referring to Gram telling the NCAA to shove it when they first mentioned that we "had" to be available for the first playoff date (in essence, no more option to play the game on Thanksgiving). Maybe they thought we would fold or give in to an option that wasn't to our advantage. At the time of this edict, Grambling had only participated in the playoffs (1AA) maybe once. Not sure if we participated in 1978 or not... I think JSU lost that year to eventual champion FAMU.

5. Maybe "the resources" you refer to come from playing a Bayou game on a day when practically everyone else's regular season is over (the weekend AFTER rivalry weekend)? Do you actually think that most of our fans at that game would be at any other event? Well, if they did then it is smart of us to have our game when it's "the" game of the year for so many paying fans.

I know you love the 1AA playoffs, that's cool. I don't share your enthusiasm...that is my right isn't it? Grambling would lose money participating in the playoffs under the current format. No thanks...yall have fun!

Mr. Tiger
August 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
I have had about enough of the misconceptions and mistruths spread around here on this subject.

I glad you posted this. You are right about the AQ and the SWAC getting multiple bids and byes. Alcorn State received a bye once in I believe 1984. And I'm sad to say the 0-19 playoff record was larger because of JSU's 0-12 record. Grambling's playoff opportunities came at the end of Eddie Robinson's heyday. And I have my thoughts on JSU, but I won't go into it now. But misconceptions and mistruths are spread by not just SWAC posters. There are other posters who still think SWAC teams aren't eligible for the playoffs. Only Grambling, Southern, and the division champs are ineligible. If Jackson State finishes 9-2 in the SWAC with a loss to Alabama A&M who goes undefeated in SWAC play, JSU would not win the East and would indeed be eligible for an at-large bid.

August 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Mike, no meaness or distain to you, just restating facts so folks don't get the wrong idea.
... 1. ...No, they didn't say change your schedule...
2. ... Don't know what an AQ is? When you elaborate, I will reply.
3. ... Maybe you can tell me why our 1980 team that was higher ranked was sent to Boise St to play in sub zero temperatures?... seems like Gram never could get a home field seeding, regardless of our regular season record.
4. No dude, I was referring to Gram telling the NCAA to shove it when they first mentioned that we "had" to be available for the first playoff date...
5. ... Do you actually think that most of our fans at that game would be at any other event?...

... Grambling would lose money participating in the playoffs under the current format...1. That's what I said to your contrary remark.
2. AQ=NCAA parlance for an autobid. The SWAC never had one.
3. I have heard that lack of attendance was a reason.
4. Like already has been said, the NCAA never singled out Gram. It is common knowledge that all playoff teams have to be able to play the game.
5. That's not the point is it? It is maybe a reason why the game is on national TV though, it maybe wouldn't be the previous weekend when most finish their regular season.

Maybe the stated "fact" you give about Gram losing money is the reason?

biobengal
August 2nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Bigg, let me rephrase: [QUOTE=biobengal]Maybe your right, money..... ratings..... attendance.... you know, the real reason why athletics are important to colleges and universities.QUOTE]

BgJag
August 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM

Nov 25 2006

Cincinnati at Connecticut
TBA Florida at Florida State Tickets
TBA Georgia Tech at Georgia Tickets
TBA Purdue at Hawaii Tickets
TBA Wake Forest at Maryland Tickets
TBA Mississippi State at Mississippi Tickets
TBA North Carolina at Duke Tickets
TBA Syracuse at Rutgers Tickets
TBA Louisville at Pittsburgh Tickets
TBA South Carolina at Clemson Tickets
TBA Virginia at Virginia Tech Tickets
TBA South Florida at West Virginia Tickets
TBA Troy at Middle Tennessee State Tickets
TBA Boise State at Nevada Tickets
TBA Kentucky at Tennessee Tickets
12:00 PM Kansas at Missouri Tickets
1:00 PM East Carolina at North Carolina State Tickets
1:00 PM UAB at UCF Tickets
2:30 PM San Diego State at New Mexico Tickets
2:30 PM Oklahoma at Oklahoma State Tickets
3:00 PM Southern Methodist at Rice Tickets
3:00 PM New Mexico State at Utah State Tickets
3:00 PM Marshall at Southern Miss Tickets
3:30 PM Oregon at Oregon State Tickets
3:30 PM Brigham Young at Utah Tickets
5:00 PM San Jose State at Idaho Tickets
5:00 PM Arkansas State at Louisiana-Lafayette Tickets
6:00 PM TCU at Colorado State Tickets
7:00 PM Arizona State at Arizona Tickets
7:00 PM Florida International at Florida Atlantic Tickets
7:00 PM North Texas at Louisiana-Monroe Tickets
8:00 PM Notre Dame at USC Tickets
9:00 PM Memphis at UTEP Tickets

Catmendue2
August 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM
Why would I get mad? Unlike some of the regulars, I don't get upset when someone has an opinion.

1. "When the NCAA 1AA [sic] decided to have a playoffs" they did not tell the SWAC or teams to change their schedule. Grambling was in the playoffs many times

You are splitting hairs...No, they didn't say change your schedule. They said, "unless you are available on the last Saturday in November you will lose your auto bid". They knew dayum well that the Bayou Classic was played on that date in alternate years. The only reason we didn't was because Tulane/LSU had precedent since the dome is Tulane's home schedule. It should be obvious (even to those with slanted opinions) that our schools preferred the Saturday after Thanksgiving...everytime that date was available.

2. The SWAC never had an AQ. Don't know what an AQ is? When you elaborate, I will reply.

So out of 19 years, we got two teams three times. Whoopee... but let's talk about Grambling's playoff. Maybe you can tell me why our 1980 team that was higher ranked was sent to Boise St to play in sub zero temperatures? Did you know that we lost a thriller on the road to SFA when a controversial call on an obvious touchdown resulted in not only a missed score but back to back unsportsmanlike penalties took us out of field goal range. The first call was because the receiver who was denied the catch, jumped to his feet and asked why? Then the ref hit him with another 15 yards when he asked about the first call. Those type things happen on the road though. Our only other playoff appearance was also on the road at Jonesboro Arkansas to Ark St. A close game that we lost 10-7 when they either scored or set up a score on a fumblerooski. Good game that could have gone our way but didn't. Hard to win a close game on the road... seems like Gram never could get a home field seeding, regardless of our regular season record.

4. No dude, I was referring to Gram telling the NCAA to shove it when they first mentioned that we "had" to be available for the first playoff date (in essence, no more option to play the game on Thanksgiving). Maybe they thought we would fold or give in to an option that wasn't to our advantage. At the time of this edict, Grambling had only participated in the playoffs (1AA) maybe once. Not sure if we participated in 1978 or not... I think JSU lost that year to eventual champion FAMU.

5. Maybe "the resources" you refer to come from playing a Bayou game on a day when practically everyone else's regular season is over (the weekend AFTER rivalry weekend)? Do you actually think that most of our fans at that game would be at any other event? Well, if they did then it is smart of us to have our game when it's "the" game of the year for so many paying fans.

I know you love the 1AA playoffs, that's cool. I don't share your enthusiasm...that is my right isn't it? Grambling would lose money participating in the playoffs under the current format. No thanks...yall have fun!

Mike there are a lot of Johnny's Come Lately and they really don't k now the process, but we were there from the inception and I know I haven't forgot how this process went. The SWAC auto Bid was stolen by NCAA because the SWAC would not force GSU and SU to change the date of the BC, its just that plain and simple.

If third place teams in the A-10 make appearences in the playoff why couldn't the SWAC have it second place team there, second place teams usally have better records than a third place anything?