http://www.jaxnews.com/news/2006/jn-localnews-0726-0-6g26k1322.htm

Texas Terror had already posted this article

89rabbit
July 27th, 2006, 11:32 PM
One D-II that won't be moving up is Nebraska Omaha. :nonono2:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2212863

Regents want answers on UNO athletics

BY MATTHEW HANSEN

University of Nebraska regents knew little about the fiscal problems facing the University of Nebraska at Omaha's athletic department and will demand answers at their meeting this week.

In interviews with The World-Herald, five regents said UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck never told them that she had shifted $1 million in each of the last two years from reserve funds to keep the UNO athletic department out of the red.

They said Belck and NU President J.B. Milliken never informed them that Maverick sports had lost about $3.5 million over five years. And Milliken said Belck told him only last month. . . .

Responding, Belck said she doesn't believe that she withheld any information that should have been shared with the NU president or the regents.

The budgetary moves weren't large enough to take to the board, she said Tuesday.

Her focus was on handling the athletic department crisis in-house, not making that crisis public, Belck said. . . .

Several regents said they would have objected to the extra $2 million that Belck sent to the athletic department, had they known about it. . . .

Hassebrook and Wilson said any additional money for the athletic department should be questioned, especially since a budget crisis forced UNO to cut nearly $12 million - including 170 academic positions - several years ago. . . . (read more)

UNO's mess is now bringing heat on Big Red, that is not good for the Mavricks.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=2213692

Regent calls for audits of sports departments

by Matthew Hansen, Omaha World Herald

A University of Nebraska regent said today that he wants an audit of all three NU athletic departments.

His request will come at a Friday meeting of the NU Board of Regents, where UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck has been called to discuss the UNO athletic department's financial problems. . . .

"This is an opportunity to start a dialogue about the cost of athletics on all campuses," said Regent Randy Ferlic of Omaha, who plans to request the audit.

"I welcome that. I'm sure the campuses aren't going to welcome it," he said. . . .

Three regents - Ferlic, Regent Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons and Regent Charles Wilson of Lincoln - recently have criticized what they see as a college athletics financial arms race. Hassebrook has called for UNO to cut football to balance its budget. . . . (read more)

Even more bad news for UNO

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2213924

Audit of UNO athletics sought

by Henry J. Cordes and Matthew Hansen, Omaha World Herald

UNO athletic booster David Sokol for years has sponsored a bonus program for Maverick athletics administrators.

In that role, he says, he would sit down each spring with UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck and Vice Chancellor Jim Buck to evaluate the performance of the athletic director and his staff, with one of the most important criteria being on-budget performance.

So Sokol was surprised to learn in recent weeks that the University of Nebraska at Omaha has had athletic budget woes for five years.

That period would include at least three years when Sokol says he wrote bonus checks - annually totaling $25,000 to $35,000 - in part as a reward for the department's fiscal management.

"We paid significant bonuses in those years, with the chancellor and vice chancellor agreeing," said Sokol, chief executive of Mid-American Energy Co. "It's part of the bizarreness of what's going on."

That is one reason Sokol wants an audit of UNO's athletics finances, either by an outside firm or by the NU system's central administration. And he's not the only one.

In the wake of recent revelations, an NU regent and a growing number of UNO boosters are also requesting such an audit.

Both Sokol and booster Lee Sapp say they won't make any new financial commitments to UNO's athletic department until their concerns are met. . . . (read more)

Gil Dobie
July 28th, 2006, 07:32 AM
One D-II that won't be moving up is Nebraska Omaha. :nonono2:

Doesn't mean it won't happen. Situation could change in 5 years. :eyebrow:

89rabbit
July 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Doesn't mean it won't happen. Situation could change in 5 years. :eyebrow:

Come on Gil, then Mary University is only 1 big donar from going I-A . . . it could happen. :rolleyes: xlolx

RabidRabbit
July 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM
By 2030, I suspect that most, if not all of the NCC of 2000, will again be playing in the same division. Most likely being that division currently considered I-AA or "mid-major" in BB. I don't foresee institutions of >10,000 undergrad population finding D-ii to be the place to stay.

At this moment, UNO is in serious financial do-do, and apparently of their own making, with an APPEARANCE OF COVER-UP. Now, I expect that UNO will eventually join D-I, however, 5-10 years, when they've straightened out their current financial issues.

USD is moving forward with their "study" of D-I, with 26 committee members and a decision document due in Nov. 06. Whatever the decision is for that document is already decided by the USD Pres/AD. Now they are fleshing out the supporting documentation of that decision.

Given the timeline, and the SD Board of Regents and SD Legislature, I have little confidence that now is USD's time. 5-10 years? very possible.

Gil Dobie
July 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Come on Gil, then Mary University is only 1 big donar from going I-A . . . it could happen. :rolleyes: xlolx

Why are you so negative on UNO moving to I-AA?

Why is 5 years from now so unbelievable?

5 years ago there were many that didn't think SDSU or NDSU could make the move.

89rabbit
July 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Why are you so negative on UNO moving to I-AA?

Why is 5 years from now so unbelievable?

5 years ago there were many that didn't think SDSU or NDSU could make the move.

5 years ago neither NDSU’s nor SDSU's athletic departments were running a multi-million dollar deficit. 5 years ago our administrations were not embattled for trying to cover up the deficit. 5 years ago neither NDSU nor SDSU had cut $12 million dollars from the academic side or laid off 170 faculty members and staff. 5 years ago the Board of Regents in North and South Dakota weren't calling for the end of our D-II football programs. 5 years ago our biggest boosters were not withholding their finacial support. 5 years ago NDSU and SDSU were and still are the biggest game in their respective states (I/E in Nebraska there is Big Red and everything else is just an afterthought - that is why when UNO brings heat on the Lincoln campus you now their is going to be hell to pay). If you can't see the difference between our situations and UNO's I am not sure I can help you.

I am not negative about UNO moving up, if they want to move up that is fine with me, but there is nothing about there current situation that indicates that they are even close to being prepared to make the jump to D-I. Do you think a Chancellor who is probably fearful that she is going to lose her job over an athletic debacle is going to approach the board of regents about spending more money to move her athletic program to D-I? I don’t think so.

With all that said you are right, UNO could still go D-I. Warren Buffet (an Omaha native) could give UNO 1 Billion Dollars the the Mavricks could go toe to toe with the Huskers. Anything is possible, I just happen to think that it is highly unlikely, don't you? :confused: xlolx

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1119/images/16-dr%20evil.jpg

Gil Dobie
July 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM
5 years ago neither NDSU’s nor SDSU's athletic departments were running a multi-million dollar deficit. 5 years ago our administrations were not embattled for trying to cover up the deficit. 5 years ago neither NDSU nor SDSU had cut $12 million dollars from the academic side or laid off 170 faculty members and staff. 5 years ago the Board of Regents in North and South Dakota weren't calling for the end of our D-II football programs. 5 years ago our biggest boosters were not withholding their finacial support. 5 years ago NDSU and SDSU were and still are the biggest game in their respective states (I/E in Nebraska there is Big Red and everything else is just an afterthought - that is why when UNO brings heat on the Lincoln campus you now their is going to be hell to pay). If you can't see the difference between our situations and UNO's I am not sure I can help you.

I am not negative about UNO moving up, if they want to move up that is fine with me, but there is nothing about there current situation that indicates that they are even close to being prepared to make the jump to D-I. Do you think a Chancellor who is probably fearful that she is going to lose her job over an athletic debacle is going to approach the board of regents about spending more money to move her athletic program to D-I? I don’t think so.

Didn't say the situations were the same, because they are not, just said there were people that were doubting the moves by NDSU and SDSU. 5 years from now there could be a different Chancellor, the budget could be balanced. I am saying they could take a look at moving and may/may not start a transition in 5 years.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Given the timeline, and the SD Board of Regents and SD Legislature, I have little confidence that now is USD's time. 5-10 years? very possible.

Typical bunny boys.

If UND wants to move up: OH YEAH, COME ON IN! THE WATER IS FINE!

If USD wants to move up: NO NO NO!! THERE SHOULD ONLY BE ONE DI SCHOOL IN SD! THEY CAN'T AFFORD THE MOVE! THEY DROPPED BASEBALL!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=2835

The USD move to DI is a done deal. They'll be moving up with UND. Exploratory year 2007.

Ha ha ha-ha ha! Neener neener neener!

DaBears
July 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Typical bunny boys.

If UND wants to move up: OH YEAH, COME ON IN! THE WATER IS FINE!

If USD wants to move up: NO NO NO!! THERE SHOULD ONLY BE ONE DI SCHOOL IN SD! THEY CAN'T AFFORD THE MOVE! THEY DROPPED BASEBALL!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=2835

The USD move to DI is a done deal. They'll be moving up with UND. Exploratory year 2007.

Ha ha ha-ha ha! Neener neener neener!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That is the funniest thing I have ever read!

MplsBison
July 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Thank you, thank you.

I speak only the truth.