PDA

View Full Version : Worst Blown Call

superman7515
September 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
In honor of the replacement referee's, and their performance on Monday Night Football in particular, what was the worst blown call against your team that you remember? And I don't mean "There was this one time when the guy was obviously holding but they missed it..." I'm talking Lloyd Carr getting 2 extra seconds against Penn State. Colorado getting a 5th down against Mizzou. The "Phantom Fumble," Notre Dame vs Miami or overtime of Ohio State vs Miami in the 2002 National Championship...

So... What do ya got?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Lehigh vs UNH last year comes to mind. The UNH player was out of bounds, not even debatable imo.

The worst however, was the personal foul call against the Hawks during the '04 playoffs when Lehigh stopped JMU 7 times from the 1 yard line. That call was absolutely horrendous!!

The worst call not involving Lehigh was the EWU-NDSU goal line call during the playoff game two years ago.

Vitojr130
September 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
In honor of the replacement referee's, and their performance on Monday Night Football in particular, what was the worst blown call against your team that you remember? And I don't mean "There was this one time when the guy was obviously holding but they missed it..." I'm talking Lloyd Carr getting 2 extra seconds against Penn State. Colorado getting a 5th down against Mizzou. The "Phantom Fumble," Notre Dame vs Miami or overtime of Ohio State vs Miami in the 2002 National Championship...

So... What do ya got?

NDSU vs. EWU, Semifinals

It's the one that angered me the most.

The ground can't create the fumble, and it sure did in that endzone...

Pards Rule
September 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Recently the non TD our TE Brandon Hall scored and was called an incomplete against William & Mary. It didnt cost us the game - we still won - but it would have been 24-14 final rather than 17-14. No matter how many times you watch it it doesnt change the fact he was in bounds - not even close!

Engineer86
September 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I will never forget the unsportsmanlike call after Lehigh stopped JMU four times. An unbelievable call. However, the lost yardage marker placement in the UD-EWU championship game comes to mind as well.

UNH out of bounds catch comes to mind to, either call PI or Orlando is out of bounds, but one or the other.

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
The worst blown call I've seen was the 2008 regular season vs JMU. JMU got to chuck up a hail mary for the win after the refs forgot to run off the clock. I can't find video of anything other than the TD, but here's the run down of what happened:

2nd and 3 at JMU 41 Timeout James Madison, clock 00:54.
2nd and 3 at JMU 41 Rodney Landers sacked by Tim Kukucka for a loss of 7 yards to the JMads 34.
3rd and 10 at JMU 34 Team pass incomplete.
4th and 10 at JMU 34 Rodney Landers pass complete to Eugene Holloman for 15 yards to the JMads 49 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at JMU 49 Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at JMU 49 Rodney Landers rush for 13 yards to the Villa 38, tackled by Terence Thomas for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at VILL 38 Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at VILL 38 Rodney Landers pass complete to Rockeed McCarter for 8 yards to the Villa 30, tackled by John Dempsey.
3rd and 2 at VILL 30 Jmu penalty 5 yard false start accepted, no play.
3rd and 7 at VILL 35 Rodney Landers pass complete to Bosco Williams for 35 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 23 19

Essentially JMU caught it over the middle with the clock ticking, couldn't get set up for a play and snapped in any way and got called for a false start with 4.3 seconds left. The rule states if a penalty is called in the last minute of a game, a team can opt for 10 second run off, which in our case would have ended the game. Instead ending the game, the ref's gave JMU a 5 yd penalty and a free timeout to set up the game winning play.

Without that loss Villanova goes 10-1 with only a loss at West Virginia, get a seed in the playoffs and home field advantage instead of playing in Harrisonburg.

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I will never forget the unsportsmanlike call after Lehigh stopped JMU four times. An unbelievable call. However, the lost yardage marker placement in the UD-EWU championship game comes to mind as well.

UNH out of bounds catch comes to mind to, either call PI or Orlando is out of bounds, but one or the other.

You had a bogus unsportsmanlike conduct call against JMU too? Join the club, that happened to us in the playoffs after we scored the go ahead TD in the 4th Q. I tend to shy away from judgement calls like that though when naming "the worst calls".

frozennorth
September 26th, 2012, 08:21 PM
florida -mississippi state, 2009.

iirc, florida player intercepts the ball, makes his way to the end zone, but visibly does not have the ball as he enters the endzone. Upon review, the player no longer had possession at around the ten yardline. Call was upheld, and put the game out of hand for the bulldogs, and mullen got fined for complaining that his team got screwed.

also the NDSU-EWU game had several bad calls, like the personal against austin richard, who looked like he either tripped, or was tripped, by an ewu player after the play.

bojeta
September 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'll rank this as the worst only because I got the ref to "sort of" admit it. Cal Poly at Davis last year. Davis receiver catches the ball and gets drilled at the 10 yard line, never crossing it. The ref spots it at the 8 yard line for a 1st down. I'm right there and yell the obvious bad spot. He visibly shrugs me off, so I yell "Watch the replay!!!!" The ref looks up at the video board right as their receiver is stopped cold at the 10. He shrugs again as if to say... "oh well... I miss some". That fourth down conversion turned into a TD. Davis won by a TD. Oh wait!!! It gets worse... The announcer then takes a moment to congratulate the local ref on his recent wedding!!

Hammerhead
September 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
At least the fumble was a close call. Not like #10 pulling down a lineman from NDSU right in front of the official and NDSU gets the personal foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsG4QKv6KOI

NDSU vs. EWU, Semifinals

frozennorth
September 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
'The Spot' in the 2010 Delaware vs EWU NC game. A very generous spot followed by the down markers being moved before the review and measurement could be completed led to EWU retaining possession and ultimately scoring the game winning TD.

wow did ewu get some calls that year

frozennorth
September 26th, 2012, 08:39 PM
At least the fumble was a close call. Not like #10 pulling down a lineman from NDSU right in front of the official and NDSU gets the personal foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsG4QKv6KOI

you can actually see the guy underneath him spin. God thats a worse call than i remember

Smitty
September 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzPBcCF9yKc

Not exactly related to college... but for your enjoyment anyway.

Professor Chaos
September 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
NDSU vs. EWU, Semifinals

1:08-1:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRyGV0kJuY

superman7515
September 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
No offense guys, but this is exactly what I was talking about when I said...

And I don't mean "There was this one time when the guy was obviously holding but they missed it..."

Recently the non TD our TE Brandon Hall scored and was called an incomplete against William & Mary. It didnt cost us the game - we still won - but it would have been 24-14 final rather than 17-14. No matter how many times you watch it it doesnt change the fact he was in bounds - not even close!

I'll rank this as the worst only because I got the ref to "sort of" admit it. Cal Poly at Davis last year. Davis receiver catches the ball and gets drilled at the 10 yard line, never crossing it. The ref spots it at the 8 yard line for a 1st down. I'm right there and yell the obvious bad spot. He visibly shrugs me off, so I yell "Watch the replay!!!!" The ref looks up at the video board right as their receiver is stopped cold at the 10. He shrugs again as if to say... "oh well... I miss some". That fourth down conversion turned into a TD. Davis won by a TD. Oh wait!!! It gets worse... The announcer then takes a moment to congratulate the local ref on his recent wedding!!

These just aren't gut wrenching enough. Two or three seasons and no one, save maybe yourself, will remember them. It needs to be on a higher order of magnitude. Go Lehigh TU owl, HailSzczur, and BlueHenSinfonian are on the right track.

Bisonoline
September 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
What I dont understand is even with replay--its right before every ones eyes. Everyone sees what the call should be but the refs some how screw it up. How can that be????

wmmii
September 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Got to agree the catch was clearly good, you all deserved to win the game!

LakesBison
September 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM
NDSU at EWU and BILL FETTE

biggest screw job ever, NDSU should be Back to Back Natty Champs already.

Go Green
September 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Dartmouth-Lehigh 1991. Jay Fielder's first start. Lehigh was ranked #16 at the time and we visited on homecoming. Great game going back and forth. We're down 30-28 (final score) with about 50 seconds to go and we're moving it down. Fielder throws a long bomb to Matt Brzica, who dives and makes an amazing catch right in front of me while landing perpendicular to the sideline on Lehigh's 25 with about 20 seconds to go (and keep in mind we have an All-American kicker warming up on the sidelines). The refs rule that Brzica landed out of bounds, although replays showed his feet did hit the ground first. I started to protest, but was horse-collared by my coaches and thrown aside while Teevens and others went apoplectic on the ref-- to no avail. Will never forget that play...

We've had some bad ones recently in our games against Penn. But that Lehigh game will always be implanted in my mind...

McNeese72
September 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM
This is one that always got me and one reason I don't like Rod Gilmore. He is watching the slow motion replay at the end (at the 1:27 mark) saying it is a fumble when the runningback knee hits, his body hits the field and the ball doesn't come out until he hits the ground and he can't see that.

http://youtu.be/l30f6YydpC4

Doc

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
This is one that always got me and one reason I don't like Rod Gilmore. He is watching the slow motion replay at the end (at the 1:27 mark) saying it is a fumble when the runningback knee hits, his body hits the field and the ball doesn't come out until he hits the ground and he can't see that.

http://youtu.be/l30f6YydpC4

Doc

Don't get me started about bad calls from that game. I would have already commented that bogus OPI call late in the game if we were talking those kinda of bad calls.

But I do have to agree with you there, that was some pretty shoddy officiating there. Honestly I had never seen that replay since the game was played. Wow

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
There are at least 3 dozen bad calls that are much worse than the Seahawks/Packers game ending.

superman7515
September 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
There are at least 3 dozen bad calls that are much worse than the Seahawks/Packers game ending.

Absolutely. But it got everyone talking about it, so I figured while it was fresh on people's minds, we could take that first step towards healing and share that call that is "the one that got away..." xlolx

Vitojr130
September 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
1:08-1:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRyGV0kJuY

Yeah so his elbow hits the ground and then the football hits the ground! First of all, an elbow downs the play. Secondly, the ground can't create a fumble. Ergo, the refs ROYALLY screwed up on that call. I remember watching the replays in hi-def and I was just so sure that the call on the field was going to be overturned that I went to get more popcorn for more OT. I was so pissed when I saw that the refs blew that big time. EWU had so many breaks to reach the title that year it was ridiculous.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
'The Spot' in the 2010 Delaware vs EWU NC game. A very generous spot followed by the down markers being moved before the review and measurement could be completed led to EWU retaining possession and ultimately scoring the game winning TD.

Agreed. This was bad. And that's coming from a rival team's fan.

344Johnson
September 26th, 2012, 10:52 PM
NDSU at EWU and BILL FETTE

biggest screw job ever, NDSU should be Back to Back Natty Champs already.

Lakes....shut up. Two games followed that game.

Bettis calling tails in overtime on Thanksgiving, the referee thinks he says heads. Lions get the ball and win.

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Lakes....shut up. Two games followed that game.

Bettis calling tails in overtime on Thanksgiving, the referee thinks he says heads. Lions get the ball and win.

I for one would have much rathered a semifinal match up in dome vs on the red carpet. Would have been a fantastic game had we played you guys

hippy@GSU
September 26th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Which GSU fan is gonna post the video of Brian Quick's slick impression of Maradona's Hand of God in the 2011 GSU-App St. game?

WrenFGun
September 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Agreed. This was bad. And that's coming from a rival team's fan.

+2. I remember being completely baffled by that spot. It wasn't even close.

LakesBison
September 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM
344 little johnson dont you ever tell me to shut up.

of course NDSU wins the title without that BS call, not even a debate, NDSU wins, we always win. learn it.

JALMOND
September 26th, 2012, 11:52 PM
For me and all my teams that I follow, the worst blown call is still worse than the Monday Night call. I will still take the 1974 NFC playoff game, Dallas Cowboys at Minnesota Vikings...

Time running out and Roger Staubach throws the Hail Mary to Drew Pearson. Vikings DB Nate Wright is stride for stride with Pearson and, as he turns to see the ball and get the interception, Pearson pushes Wright in the back. Wright stumbles, Pearson catches the ball and runs into the end zone. The official keeps his flag in his pocket and gives the Cowboys the touchdown. Still the worst call ever, even worse than Monday as both the Seahawks and Packers are going to play this weekend. That game ended the Vikings season before it should have.

344Johnson
September 27th, 2012, 12:05 AM

of course NDSU wins the title without that BS call, not even a debate, NDSU wins, we always win. learn it.

Going to send a threat to me too?

Really? NDSU wins the title? Maybe the defense shouldn't have let the other team drive something like 88 yards with very little time on the clock in awful weather for a touchdown. The call sucked, but there was no guarantee even with that call that NDSU wins that game. I would like to think that they win but that is no guarantee.

The way I see it they would have had had to win two more games. NDSU always wins? That simply isn't true, as much as we want to believe it. My senior year in high school the Herd went 3-8. take off the colored glasses.

Go Bison.

BJWerth
September 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
HailSzczur,

You are wrong. The rule was not in effect in 2008 for a 10 second run-off. This rule did not take effect until 2011. The game was properly officiated and JMU deserved the win. Had this occurred today, you would have been correct.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 27th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Lakes, shut up - he's right.

They may have had a shot against Villanova and who knows? With the crowd NDSU can bring to Frisco they might have had an equal shot against Delaware but that game was still only the quarterfinals.

ysubigred
September 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM

xmadx When are the rest of you Bison fans going to learn that Lakes knows all and the rest of you need to STFU LOL!!!! xtroublex

WOW!!! I'm glad YSU makes these type fans disappear xlolx

DSUrocks07
September 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Nothing immediately comes to mind...but this one was to our benefit xbopx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNBJpyZATM

Morgan scored on that play...broke the plane, MEAC refs. xshhhx

NoDak 4 Ever
September 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM
xmadx When are the rest of you Bison fans going to learn that Lakes knows all and the rest of you need to STFU LOL!!!! xtroublex

WOW!!! I'm glad YSU makes these type fans disappear xlolx

I know I should have him on ignore but it's like pressing on a bruise.

Libertine
September 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I've seen a few but this is, by far, the weirdest one I've ever seen even though I'm not sure it counts for this thread since the offending party was a game official but not a referee:

Colgate @ Coastal '08 - Colgate down by 19-16 with just a few seconds on the clock, runs a play on 3rd down but the ball carrier does not get out of bounds or get the first down. However, for some unknown reason, the Coastal scoreboard operator stops the clock anyway then re-starts it some five seconds later. However, the officials notice the time discrepancy and stop play long enough to re-set the clock to the proper time which is something like :04. However, the stop-start chaos has allowed Colgate just enough time to run their kicking unit out on the field and get set up for the game-tying field goal. However, as time finally expires, the ensuing snap is wild and it appears that the Colgate holder has fallen on the ball and half the Coastal team starts celebrating. HOWEVER, the Colgate holder is, in fact, not down and he picks up the ball and makes a desperation heave into the end zone where it is caught for a Colgate touchdown. Colgate wins 23-16 on a play that they shouldn't have had time to run.

McNeese72
September 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Don't get me started about bad calls from that game. I would have already commented that bogus OPI call late in the game if we were talking those kinda of bad calls.

But I do have to agree with you there, that was some pretty shoddy officiating there. Honestly I had never seen that replay since the game was played. Wow

Here is the pick play call:

http://youtu.be/crdA0W_CgIY

Doc

melloware13
September 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM
As has been stated before, there is the miss-spot from the 2010 NC game. On the NFL level, I look back to the 2003 NFC Wild Card NYG @ SF, where the last play is incorrectly penalized as a ineligible man down field (NFL officials later come public stating should have been Def PI). Giants clearly should have won that game...

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Going to send a threat to me too?

Really? NDSU wins the title? Maybe the defense shouldn't have let the other team drive something like 88 yards with very little time on the clock in awful weather for a touchdown. The call sucked, but there was no guarantee even with that call that NDSU wins that game. I would like to think that they win but that is no guarantee.

The way I see it they would have had had to win two more games. NDSU always wins? That simply isn't true, as much as we want to believe it. My senior year in high school the Herd went 3-8. take off the colored glasses.

Go Bison.
Not to mention the fact that had the refs made the right call NDSU still would've had to punch the ball in the from the 6" line and all that would've done was force another OT (unless they would've gone for two). Reversing that call wouldn't have even guaranteed that game.

JMU2004
September 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
The worst blown call I've seen was the 2008 regular season vs JMU. JMU got to chuck up a hail mary for the win after the refs forgot to run off the clock. I can't find video of anything other than the TD, but here's the run down of what happened:

2nd and 3 at JMU 41 Timeout James Madison, clock 00:54.
2nd and 3 at JMU 41 Rodney Landers sacked by Tim Kukucka for a loss of 7 yards to the JMads 34.
3rd and 10 at JMU 34 Team pass incomplete.
4th and 10 at JMU 34 Rodney Landers pass complete to Eugene Holloman for 15 yards to the JMads 49 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at JMU 49 Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at JMU 49 Rodney Landers rush for 13 yards to the Villa 38, tackled by Terence Thomas for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at VILL 38 Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at VILL 38 Rodney Landers pass complete to Rockeed McCarter for 8 yards to the Villa 30, tackled by John Dempsey.
3rd and 2 at VILL 30 Jmu penalty 5 yard false start accepted, no play.
3rd and 7 at VILL 35 Rodney Landers pass complete to Bosco Williams for 35 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 23 19

Essentially JMU caught it over the middle with the clock ticking, couldn't get set up for a play and snapped in any way and got called for a false start with 4.3 seconds left. The rule states if a penalty is called in the last minute of a game, a team can opt for 10 second run off, which in our case would have ended the game. Instead ending the game, the ref's gave JMU a 5 yd penalty and a free timeout to set up the game winning play.

Without that loss Villanova goes 10-1 with only a loss at West Virginia, get a seed in the playoffs and home field advantage instead of playing in Harrisonburg.

Well, considering that the NCAA didn't institute the runoff until 2011, they was no missed call. Sorry about that!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6361845

This has been talked about ad nauseum by VU fans, yet none of ya'll actually realize that the runoff rule WAS NOT A NCAA RULE in 2008. Got it?

SpeedkingATL
September 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM
How about the officiating of the entire National Championship game in 2007 when App and Deleware played. The officials were constantly throwing flags and then would just stand looking at each other. Both teams had reason to be upset because of the importance of the game. I always thought SoCon officials were some of the worst but that crew was truly horrible. On the one Deleware touchdown catch it took 20 minutes to decide what happened on the play. They also misplaced the chains on a number of occasions. Truly horrible and especially for a Championship game.

Apphole
September 27th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Which GSU fan is gonna post the video of Brian Quick's slick impression of Maradona's Hand of God in the 2011 GSU-App St. game?

Just because the slack PBS commentator thought it was a bad call doesn't mean it was. He had both feet in bound, the ball never touched the ground and he had possession when he landed. I've watched it on DVD ten times. It was a TD.

Not one holding call on a SoCon opponent for the entire 2011 Mountaineer season and you people bitch about refs 10x as much as we do. It's pathetic.

T-Dog
September 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM
How about the officiating of the entire National Championship game in 2007 when App and Deleware played. The officials were constantly throwing flags and then would just stand looking at each other. Both teams had reason to be upset because of the importance of the game. I always thought SoCon officials were some of the worst but that crew was truly horrible. On the one Deleware touchdown catch it took 20 minutes to decide what happened on the play. They also misplaced the chains on a number of occasions. Truly horrible and especially for a Championship game.

Man the Delaware fans are going to be hot about this one. They might need to call a timeout. Hold on...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/timeoutdsu.jpg

TIMEOUT, DELAWARE STATE.

Apphole
September 27th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Not college football, but how about the fantom "lane violation" that saved Syracuse from being upset by UNC-Asheville in the first round of the tournament? That was the most upsetting call I've ever seen. These kids had a chance to make history, but the pressure of upsetting a big fanbase prompted the refs to utterly screw UNCA. There was also a terrible goal tending call minutes before.

T-Dog
September 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/udewu4thdown.jpg

DSUrocks07
September 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Man the Delaware fans are going to be hot about this one. They might need to call a timeout. Hold on...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/timeoutdsu.jpg

TIMEOUT, DELAWARE STATE.

If only we were really in that game that year. 44-7 xbawlingx

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
2009. Lafayette is 8-1. Down 28-26 to Holy Cross in the the de-facto Patriot League Championship game. Minutes left in the fourth quarter. Third down. Lafayette is driving. Around mid-field. Our WR (forget who), is whacked across his outstretched arms two seconds before the ball gets there around the 25. Defender clearly beat, never turned around. I remember I started cheering right away on TV because it was pass interference. Referee puts his hand on the flag. Never throws it. Lafayette losses ... but the Patriot League APOLOGIZED for the no-call... yes they actually apologized... they called our head coach and issued a press release.

HailSzczur
September 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Well, considering that the NCAA didn't institute the runoff until 2011, they was no missed call. Sorry about that!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6361845

This has been talked about ad nauseum by VU fans, yet none of ya'll actually realize that the runoff rule WAS NOT A NCAA RULE in 2008. Got it?

There seriously was no run off rule at the time? Because at the time I remember everyone saying oh they should have ran down the clock and it wouldn't have mattered. In that case I guess I stand corrected, and I move that game from What a terrible call to What a cheap way to win a game.

HailSzczur
September 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Not college football, but how about the fantom "lane violation" that saved Syracuse from being upset by UNC-Asheville in the first round of the tournament? That was the most upsetting call I've ever seen. These kids had a chance to make history, but the pressure of upsetting a big fanbase prompted the refs to utterly screw UNCA. There was also a terrible goal tending call minutes before.

If we're crossing over into college basketball......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPvhOkEVmm0&feature=player_detailpage

bri-dog
September 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
There seriously was no run off rule at the time? Because at the time I remember everyone saying oh they should have ran down the clock and it wouldn't have mattered. In that case I guess I stand corrected, and I move that game from What a terrible call to What a cheap way to win a game.

I believe that rule WAS in effect in the NFL at that time; people probably didn't realize that it hadn't yet been instituted in college football...

Apphole
September 27th, 2012, 10:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPvhOkEVmm0&feature=player_detailpage

Oh imagine that! The UNC Tar Holes with a questionable call going their way. The Great Evil the beneficiary of some sketchy nonsense.

THIS is the worst call in NCAA history. And it's not even a referee issue...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19994668/ncaa-unc-academics-scandal-is-no-scandal-tar-heels-cleared

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
For Harvard, it had to be the '82 Harvard-Penn game at Franklin Field. Down 20-0 after 3 quarters, Harvard roared back to take a 21-20 lead. On the last play of the game, Penn's FG kicker (whose name was something like Hymie Teitelbaum) missed from about 40 yards, and the Harvard guys erupted in celebration. But a late "roughing the kicker" flag comes out when Hymie took a dive, and the closer distance helped Hymie make the second try. Penn won, 23-21.xnonono2xxsmhx Harvard didn't win again at Franklin Field until the 2004 Ryan Fitzpatrick team did the trick.

Did I forget to say that I hate Penn?xnodx

blueballs
September 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Furman At GSU 1999...

GSU is lined up for a potential game winning FG attempt on the last play of the game. Furman's all american safety John Keith tries to time the snap count and get into the GSU backfield. Alas, he is too early and hurdles BOTH teams' lines and lands on his feet untouched in the GSU backfield face to face with the holder. The ball hadn't been snapped yet and Keith was the only player on either team that had moved.

The referee (Gerald Trexler) blows the play dead, sends Keith back to the Furman side of the ball, and then blows the whistle to restart play. No penalty, no time run off, nothing...

GSU subsequently made the kick and got the win but I don't think I ever saw Paul Johnson more pizzed off than he was at Gerald Trexler that day. GSU had over 120 yards in penalties and that now famous in GSU annals no call. Johnson's post game interview over the GSU radio network was epic.

Just mention Gerald Trexler to any older GSU fan and they'll roll their eyes and recall that day.

ASUMountaineer
September 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
How about a blown no-call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drqi3L-qt58

Go Green
September 27th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Only a matter of time before Princeton brings up Alonzo Mourning... they're still pissed.

kdinva
September 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
2009: VMI @ Army. Army had a 3rd and 9 from the VMI 39 with about 7:00 to play. Army threw a sideline pass to that 6'10" receiver they had that season. Caught the pass a good 2 feet out of bounds. The replay official (was televised on CBS-cstv with ECAC refs) said he wanted to look at the catch. Using freeze frames, the receiver had one toe inbounds as the ball got to his hands. By the time he secured the ball, that foot was waaay out of bounds, replay ref said that was good enough. Catch and first down Army. they went in and scored the winning TD: 22-17 final score. The closest VMI was at beating a 1-A opponent........since beating Army in 1981.

UNIFanSince1983
September 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
How about a blown no-call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drqi3L-qt58

All the fans seem to notice, but the players and coaches for WKU don't until after it looks like. I would have thought they would have made a bigger deal about it right when it happens...

ASUMountaineer
September 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
All the fans seem to notice, but the players and coaches for WKU don't until after it looks like. I would have thought they would have made a bigger deal about it right when it happens...

Me too. Perhaps they were embarrassed that they didn't catch it.

bojeta
September 27th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Nothing immediately comes to mind...but this one was to our benefit xbopx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNBJpyZATM

Morgan scored on that play...broke the plane, MEAC refs. xshhhx

Wow! Hadn't seen this one before, but that had to hurt!! Not only had he already broken the plane of the endzone and therefore scored, but the ground caused the fumble.

hippy@GSU
September 28th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Not one holding call on a SoCon opponent for the entire 2011 Mountaineer season and you people bitch about refs 10x as much as we do. It's pathetic.
Mother****er, is this not a blown call thread?

Smitty
September 28th, 2012, 07:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMf5DZOy3Mg

Pretty bad call here...

Engineer86
September 28th, 2012, 07:23 AM
You had a bogus unsportsmanlike conduct call against JMU too? Join the club, that happened to us in the playoffs after we scored the go ahead TD in the 4th Q. I tend to shy away from judgement calls like that though when naming "the worst calls".

I agree on the opinion point. My homer side just will never let that one go. Great game other wise.

kdinva
September 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wow! Hadn't seen this one before, but that had to hurt!! Not only had he already broken the plane of the endzone and therefore scored, but the ground caused the fumble.

MEAC refs.............need we say more?

Apphole
September 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Mother****er, is this not a blown call thread?

It's in every thread xlolx. I don't think I've seen a single GaSo loss not result in your brood crying foul on the zebras on AGS.

laxVik
September 28th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I think this was the worst call in recent history. Hard for me as a duck fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIykYoM260

asumike83
September 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Already mentioned and it is not one bad call but the fact that we went the entire 2011 conference season without a single hold called on our opponents is insane. I watched opposing offensive linemen grab a handful of Blair, Robinson and Wylie's jerseys all year and waited to finally see it called but it never happened. As frustrating as it was, I really don't think it affected the outcome of any games though.

Apphole
September 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
MEAC refs.............need we say more?

Dare I say they're racist?

blueballs
September 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Already mentioned and it is not one bad call but the fact that we went the entire 2011 conference season without a single hold called on our opponents is insane. I watched opposing offensive linemen grab a handful of Blair, Robinson and Wylie's jerseys all year and waited to finally see it called but it never happened. As frustrating as it was, I really don't think it affected the outcome of any games though.

Well... I know one thing for darned sure, GSU didn't get called for holding because they weren't engaged with any App defenders long enough to grab them. Our blocking was pathetic that afternoon... I wish we HAD been called for holding, it would have meant we were actually engaged with the defender. LOL