View Full Version : Georgia Southern Military Appreciation Uni's

The Eagle's Cliff
September 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Don't really like messing with our uni's, but it's a nice gesture to honor our service men. 3rd ID of Ft Stewart is 40 miles away.

Notice player's (McKinnon) name on front of jersey military style.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534320_10151153179501855_966236055_n.jpg

Not crazy about the helmets, but the numbers are Marine-style.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/601559_10151153159011855_1050426055_n.jpg

eaglemachine
September 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Don't really like messing with our uni's, but it's a nice gesture to honor our service men. 3rd ID of Ft Stewart is 40 miles away.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534320_10151153179501855_966236055_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/601559_10151153159011855_1050426055_n.jpg

To be used in the Wofford game.

GATA_Eagles
September 26th, 2012, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YujERLxbI&feature=youtu.be

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Those look pretty good in my opinion. GSU has great uniforms, for a one time change of pace I think this is a good move.

Apphole
September 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Now can y'all stop being all high and mighty about your "classic" uni's? Everyone enjoys a little flash every now and again.

They look awesome.

Smitty
September 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Great gesture, but I honestly don't like them. I think it is the red stripe that ruins it for me.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Now can y'all stop being all high and mighty about your "classic" uni's? Everyone enjoys a little flash every now and again.

They look awesome.
Don't worry there are still plenty of people crying foul because we're going away from our tradition. xcrazyx
I think they're a great idea and great way to show support for the troops.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Great gesture, but I honestly don't like them. I think it is the red stripe that ruins it for me.

The red stripe is for the "blood stripe" of the USMC (the one down the sides of their dress blues)

Also the back says "Always Ready Always There" for those who haven't watched the video.

Apphole
September 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
The red stripe is for the "blood stripe" of the USMC (the one down the sides of their dress blues)

Also the back says "Always Ready Always There" for those who haven't watched the video.

Red Stripe. It's Beer! Hurraaaay beer!!

Smitty
September 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Like I said, cool gesture but I still don't like it

cbarrier90
September 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Awesome!

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Like I said, cool gesture but I still don't like it

I agree. I don't entirely get why they are doing it. I mean the Padres wear camo on Sunday's because the city has an overwhelming military presence. The rest of the MLB wears camo hats on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and 9/11. What's the occasion or reasoning besides hey military appreciation day sounds like a good idea? I'm all for honoring the troops, and uni's are nice, it just seems odd.

GATA_Eagles
September 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I agree. I don't entirely get why they are doing it. I mean the Padres wear camo on Sunday's because the city has an overwhelming military presence. The rest of the MLB wears camo hats on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and 9/11. What's the occasion or reasoning besides hey military appreciation day sounds like a good idea? I'm all for honoring the troops, and uni's are nice, it just seems odd.

We have quite a few military bases in the area. Two are within 50 miles (Fort Stewart in Hinesville, and Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah).

Here is a close up of the unis:
http://instagram.com/p/QC-9olIQhc/

Apphole
September 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
The Great Evil is doing it too. Don't think Chapel Hill is anywhere near a base.

http://collegefootballcentral.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/b288c__A3ke1JhCEAEkWkF.jpg

VT did it too

http://theozone.net/12-13images/Uniforms/Virginia-Tech---camoflauge-helmet.jpg

Y'alls look way better IMO

cbarrier90
September 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM

IMO, you can't mess anything up with camo.

Army still has the best camo jerseys.

cannonballgsu
September 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM

We have been doing a military appreciation day for quite some time now.

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
We have been doing a military appreciation day for quite some time now.

Ah, okay if this is a traditional thing it makes a lot more sense now. Guess slow hoping on the themed day bandwagon since all we have Marsh Creek Flag Football day at Nova.

PhoenixSupreme
September 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM
IMO, you can't mess anything up with camo.

^this.

I really dig the jerseys but that number scheme (font, color, style, etc.) sells it for me. It's always nice to deviate away from the school colors a bit (hence why I always love Oregon unis)

SpeedkingATL
September 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Nice gesture and looks pretty sweet too.

blueballs
September 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
IMO it looks horses--t... It is a god d--m football game, not a deer hunting trip.

There are 10,000,000 other ways to honor our military than with that travesty. SMFH...

eaglemachine
September 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM

GSU also has the biggest ROTC program outside of a military school in the southeast and have won the MacArthur award 2 years running as well as large bases in the area such as FT Stewart and the AFB in Savannah.

CID1990
September 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
GSU also has the biggest ROTC program outside of a military school in the southeast and have won the MacArthur award 2 years running as well as large bases in the area such as FT Stewart and the AFB in Savannah.

Actually, I think NC State might have you guys on that one. I might be wrong, but their ROTC program is huge.

BTW the uniforms look great.

Waco Kid
September 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM
The Apps should have worn all white for our Military Appreciation game considering the beating El Cid put on us that day. xsalutex

BTW, I like the look by GSU for a one time thing.

MorgantonAPPAlum
September 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Meh-military appreciation days are all well and good, but they strike me as more symbolic than substantive, allow me to explain: "Joe", generally speaking, is doubtlessly honored by gestures like this (I personally can take them or leave them), but they do not touch (and probably cannot influence) the issues that are really important to him (pay, pensions, benefits, deployments and so on).

The uniforms look good, but the cynic in me generally thinks that they matter more as another item available in the team store than as anything that has much of an actual positive influence on the lives of servicemembers.

proasu89
September 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM
IMO it looks horses--t... It is a god d--m football game, not a deer hunting trip.

There are 10,000,000 other ways to honor our military than with that travesty. SMFH...

So you're saying you're not a fan of these :D

I agree with MorgantonApp on this. Yes it's a nice gesture and I'm all for honoring our men and women, but I don't see how it makes a difference. Take the money spent on these and donate it to a worthwile organization that provides real help to our veterans.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I like the helmets. Not real big on the jerseys.

I've always been a believer that when you wear something radically different from what you usually wear in practice it can mess up your concentration. People say I'm nuts, but GSU has a bad record wearing solid blue and it seems every time a major FBS team has special one-time unis, they lose.

henfan
September 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM
How will the Eagles' camo uniforms demonstrate appreciation for our military? Are the uni's being auctioned off to benefit military families or vets organizations?

Eaglesrus
September 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Nice to know I'm not alone in thinking this. I fail to see how simply wearing these outfits honors the military. Haven't heard the press conference, but I did read something about a plan for the jerseys to be auctioned off after 10/13. If true and the proceeds are then donated to a military-related cause, then I'm all for it. Does anyone know if that's officially the plan?

Eaglesrus
September 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
How will the Eagles' camo uniforms demonstrate appreciation for our military? Are the uni's being auctioned off to benefit military families or vets organizations?

Nice to know I'm not alone in thinking this. I fail to see how simply wearing these outfits honors the military. Haven't heard the press conference, but I did read something about a plan for the jerseys to be auctioned off after 10/13. If true and the proceeds are then donated to a military-related cause, then I'm all for it. Does anyone know if that's officially the plan?

I got as far as blueballs' comment then made mine. Interesting to then see that you'd asked the auction question, henfan.

KeeperoftheCreek
September 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM

I need to correct you on the Savannah comment. It is an Army Air Base (AAB) in Savannah. The Air Force Bases (AFB) are in Warner Robins, and Valdosta. Growing up in Warner Robins my fellow Middle Georgians would be very upset with me if I did not correct that mistake.

For whoever mentioned about spending the money on a charity to support the armed forces, the Georgia National Guard paid for all of it. No money was spent by the university and just getting our team to change uniforms for one game is a huge recognition to them. Most people who can see past the "traditional" way think that this is going above and beyond for Georgia Southern to recognize the military. We don't change anything for anybody but we just did for our armed forces and this is one amazing gesture!

KeeperoftheCreek
September 26th, 2012, 04:43 PM

I have heard this. I do not think I have seen anything officially published about it though.

SpiritCymbal
September 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I have heard this. I do not think I have seen anything officially published about it though.

I spoke to someone this afternoon and they said that the jersey's would be auctioned off.

CropDuster
September 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I need to correct you on the Savannah comment. It is an Army Air Base (AAB) in Savannah. The Air Force Bases (AFB) are in Warner Robins, and Valdosta. Growing up in Warner Robins my fellow Middle Georgians would be very upset with me if I did not correct that mistake.

For whoever mentioned about spending the money on a charity to support the armed forces, the Georgia National Guard paid for all of it. No money was spent by the university and just getting our team to change uniforms for one game is a huge recognition to them. Most people who can see past the "traditional" way think that this is going above and beyond for Georgia Southern to recognize the military. We don't change anything for anybody but we just did for our armed forces and this is one amazing gesture!

FWIW, the 165th Airlift Wing of the GA ANG is at KSAV.

SpiritCymbal
September 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
The jerseys are going to be auction off sometime after the game.

Also, thousands of tickets are donated every year to the local military bases for the game on that day.

Eaglesrus
September 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Just to add a little detail, Hunter Army Air Field in Savannah was built as an air force base and was one until the early '60s, at which time the army took it over. It's now home to various army aviation units and a Ranger battalion.

PAllen
September 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
The Great Evil is doing it too. Don't think Chapel Hill is anywhere near a base.

http://collegefootballcentral.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/b288c__A3ke1JhCEAEkWkF.jpg

VT did it too

http://theozone.net/12-13images/Uniforms/Virginia-Tech---camoflauge-helmet.jpg

Y'alls look way better IMO

I like UNC's. VT, not so much. Not a big fan of GS' either, but to each his own.

Skjellyfetti
September 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Our military appreciation day was against the Citadel.

No better way to show your appreciation than letting a bunch of cadets march up and down your home field all afternoon.:oxsalutex

ElCid
September 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Our military appreciation day was against the Citadel.

No better way to show your appreciation than letting a bunch of cadets march up and down your home field all afternoon.:oxsalutex

And we appreciate it! If everyone can do the same, we would really appreciate it!xsmiley_wix

CID1990
September 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Every away game we play is somebody's military appreciation day. Seriously.

Redhawk2010
September 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
SEMO held Military Appreciation Night last weekend in their double-overtime win over Tennessee Tech. They also dedicated the new field's name.. it is now Missouri National Guard Field at Houck Stadium.

Here are the uniform tops they wore...

https://twitter.com/New_House52/status/249575979280891904/photo/1/large

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 26th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Every away game we play is somebody's military appreciation day. Seriously.

Well not EVERY one! I know GSU played Presby last year for our military appreciation game because this will be the 2nd year my dad (Vietnam vet) will be here for military appreciation. And somehow between our schedule (and his) it works out every time that he's here for military appreciation day.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
SEMO held Military Appreciation Night last weekend in their double-overtime win over Tennessee Tech. They also dedicated the new field's name.. it is now Missouri National Guard Field at Houck Stadium.

Here are the uniform tops they wore...

https://twitter.com/New_House52/status/249575979280891904/photo/1/large

Pretty awesome that they dedicated their field name!

Redhawk2010
September 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
There is a large National Guard armory in Cape Girardeau and they have been building this partnership for a couple of years now. I think they waited until just a few days before the game to unveil the uniforms although there were talks for a few weeks about some camo uniforms.

SEMO currently has an Air Force ROTC program (40 years) and will (re-)start an Army ROTC program next fall which will be led by an officer from the MO National Guard.

totoinfl
September 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Another 40 minutes past Savannah is Parris Island and MCAS Beaufort...with a whole bunch of Marines who would love the inclusion of the blood stripe.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Don't worry, you're our homecoming ;)

edit: dammit this was supposed to be for El Cid, they aren't our military appreciation game.

seantaylor
September 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I agree with blueballs. Looks horrible, but I like we are thinking outside the box. Hate anything camo, but don't mind it one bit for one game, and to get some publicity.

GATA_Eagles
September 27th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Getting some love:

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
Camo jerseys that will be worn by Georgia Southern next month for Military Appreciation Day http://twitpic.com/ayn47w

The Eagle's Cliff
September 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Full Story here.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/sports/mens/football/headlines/12297-custom-camo-jerseys-for-military-appreciation-day

T-Dog
September 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I love the names being on the front military style.

Definitely not something that I'd expect from Georgia "blue pants are sacrilege" Southern, but definitely interesting.

GATA_Eagles
September 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I love the names being on the front military style.

Definitely not something that I'd expect from Georgia "blue pants are sacrilege" Southern, but definitely interesting.

We don't speak of the blue pants...

T-Dog
September 27th, 2012, 07:30 AM
We don't speak of the blue pants...

You mean like these?

http://gsufans.com/images/asu08.jpg

gataeagles06
September 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM
You mean like these?

Not to get off topic, but he was short of the goal line. I'm barely cut out of this pic behind the referee and AE was about a foot short. Yes, I'm still bitter about it even though it was years ago.

Carry on.

PS-Please let this be the last time I ever see the blue pants. That is all.

Eagle22
September 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
You mean like these?

Still one of my most favorite pictures I took, even though we lost. This picture should be posted in the jobbed calls thread though xblehx :D

TheRevSFA
September 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM
It could have been worse...

You could have Sam's Camo jerseys

gataeagles06
September 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Still one of my most favorite pictures I took, even though we lost. This picture should be posted in the jobbed calls thread though xblehx :D

I didn't know you took that shot! I agree with it being in the jobbed calls thread. ;)

GreatAppSt
September 27th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Love the jersey but to me the helmet just screams VMIxconfusedx.

Apphole
September 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Not to get off topic, but he was short of the goal line. I'm barely cut out of this pic behind the referee and AE was about a foot short. Yes, I'm still bitter about it even though it was years ago.

Carry on.

PS-Please let this be the last time I ever see the blue pants. That is all.

And the cry baby GaSo trend continues. Stop crying. It was a TD.

Hammerhead
September 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
How will the quarterback find his receivers 30 yards away if they are in camo? xlolx

Who pays for the uniforms in these scenarios? Is it the athletic department, boosters, The uniform supplier (Nike, Under Armour, etc.), or someone else?

T-Dog
September 27th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'll admit AE was short of the goal line if you admit AE got the first down the year before in Boone.

GlassOnion
September 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'll admit AE was short of the goal line if you admit AE got the first down the year before in Boone.

Exactly the play I was thinking about for the blown calls thread.

moosbah
September 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I frankly don't like when teams do this. MANY schools have had military appreciation day throughout history and haven't needed to alter their uniforms. Just make a big deal about it on game day, give em free tickets and pay them the respect they deserve. Simple.

The messing with the unis is almost ALWAYS a marketing ploy anyway. As sad as that is.

gataeagles06
September 27th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Lol,

Refresh my memory, is that when he stepped out of bounds 2 feet short of the first down marker when he easily could have made the first down? Or am I thinking of the wrong play? ;)

5:54 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as

If it makes you feel better, I thought he got there when I was watching. The video evidence is not indisputable, therefore the ruling on the field stands. Either way, both plays were close. Lets call it a wash for both teams. Sorry to get off topic.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
How will the quarterback find his receivers 30 yards away if they are in camo? xlolx

Who pays for the uniforms in these scenarios? Is it the athletic department, boosters, The uniform supplier (Nike, Under Armour, etc.), or someone else?

In this instance, the funding did NOT come from the GSU Athletic Dept. The article indicates private funding and/or corporate sponsorship.

Gringer1
September 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I frankly don't like when teams do this. MANY schools have had military appreciation day throughout history and haven't needed to alter their uniforms. Just make a big deal about it on game day, give em free tickets and pay them the respect they deserve. Simple.

The messing with the unis is almost ALWAYS a marketing ploy anyway. As sad as that is.

GSU has done a military appreciation day every season for the past several years. This is a 1 time extra thing.

asumike83
September 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
My only complaint is that they will not be worn for the Appalachian game, since I will be in Statesboro to see them. They look great.

moosbah
September 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM
GSU has done a military appreciation day every season for the past several years. This is a 1 time extra thing.

IMO, it's one time too many.

totoinfl
September 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Many times the uniform manufacturer will pay for them. Especially if it is a way to "test" some new fabric or design.

GATA
September 27th, 2012, 10:33 PM
IMO, it's one time too many.

and in my opinion, the price of rice is too high...who gives a ****?