PDA

View Full Version : SWAC 2006 preseason all conference announced

MACHIAVELLI
July 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
In a surprise move, Grambling State -- the Southwestern Athletic Conference's reigning champ -- has been chosen second in the Western Division in its pre-season poll.

Grambling had three players on the first-team preseason all-conference offense: Receivers Henry Tolbert and Clyde Edwards, and offensive lineman Andre Bennett. Defenders Melvin Matthews, Dimitri Carr and Greg Fassitt were named to the pre-season defense.

In the predicted order of finish poll, Southern (with eight first-place votes) edged out Grambling (nine first-place votes) in the Western Division with 79 points to GSU's 78 points. Prairie View A&M was selected third with 42 points while Arkansas-Pine Bluff (37 points) and Texas Southern (32 points) were selected fourth and fifth, respectively.

Alabama A&M was chosen to repeat as Eastern Division champion. A 2005 participant in the SWAC Championship Game, the Bulldogs garnered 11 first-place votes en route to 81 total points. Mississippi Valley State was second with 77 points (six first-place votes) while Alcorn State was chosen third with 48. Jackson State (4th with 34 points.) and Alabama State (5th with 30 points) round out the Eastern Division.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/SPORTS/60727008/1006

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM
In a surprise move, Grambling State -- the Southwestern Athletic Conference's reigning champ -- has been chosen second in the Western Division in its pre-season poll.

Grambling had three players on the first-team preseason all-conference offense: Receivers Henry Tolbert and Clyde Edwards, and offensive lineman Andre Bennett. Defenders Melvin Matthews, Dimitri Carr and Greg Fassitt were named to the pre-season defense.

In the predicted order of finish poll, Southern (with eight first-place votes) edged out Grambling (nine first-place votes) in the Western Division with 79 points to GSU's 78 points. Prairie View A&M was selected third with 42 points while Arkansas-Pine Bluff (37 points) and Texas Southern (32 points) were selected fourth and fifth, respectively.

Alabama A&M was chosen to repeat as Eastern Division champion. A 2005 participant in the SWAC Championship Game, the Bulldogs garnered 11 first-place votes en route to 81 total points. Mississippi Valley State was second with 77 points (six first-place votes) while Alcorn State was chosen third with 48. Jackson State (4th with 34 points.) and Alabama State (5th with 30 points) round out the Eastern Division.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/SPORTS/60727008/1006

I found out Alcorn did not have many selections because none were nominated. People had to write in Spiller. I was wondering why Martin Jackson was not on there. I also thought the TE, RB, and a couple others should have been on the list. Maybe they need to revote after they get Alcorn's stuff in????.....:D

MACHIAVELLI
July 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I found out Alcorn did not have many selections because none were nominated. People had to write in Spiller. I was wondering why Martin Jackson was not on there. I also thought the TE, RB, and a couple others should have been on the list. Maybe they need to revote after they get Alcorn's stuff in????.....:D

Blame the AD.

SU Jag
July 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Blame the AD.

Mach did you come to Birmingham today?

MACHIAVELLI
July 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Mach did you come to Birmingham today?

No. In the morning

MACHIAVELLI
July 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Pete Richardson was dumbfounded as to how southern was picked to win the west with only 1 player chosen 1st team. I tend to agree.

Mr. Tiger
July 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Pete Richardson was dumbfounded as to how southern was picked to win the west with only 1 player chosen 1st team. I tend to agree.

I am also dumbfounded. Grambling returns too much talent to be chosen second. I think Southern will be improved. But Southern had a mediocre season last year and they did not add any new recruits that would vault them higher than Grambling in the preseason selections.

mikebigg
July 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I am also dumbfounded. Grambling returns too much talent to be chosen second. I think Southern will be improved. But Southern had a mediocre season last year and they did not add any new recruits that would vault them higher than Grambling in the preseason selections.

They might have taken into consideration that the ICON doesn't play at home until October... I'm glad that our defense seems to be strong this year (on paper) because you win on the road with defense.

Jag4Life
July 28th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Yall just need to worry about having a good season, and don't worry about SU! MACH you need to be quiet because this is nothing new. The SWAC has picked anybody so it doesn't matter if SU had 1 or 2 people to make 1st team.

MACHIAVELLI
July 29th, 2006, 03:45 AM
“Either they’re telling me somebody doesn’t know what’s going or they have such respect for our program or they’re trying to set somebody up to get killed,” Richardson said.

Jag4Life
July 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM
“Either they’re telling me somebody doesn’t know what’s going or they have such respect for our program or they’re trying to set somebody up to get killed,” Richardson said.
Yall messing with Dean Pete? :bang: :bang: