PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 5 Pick'ems

melloware13
September 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Saturday, September 29
#12 Delaware @ #23 New Hampshire - Noon
Rhode Island @ Bowling Green - 3:30 pm
#3 Old Dominion @ Richmond - 3:30 pm
Villanova @ Maine - 3:30 pm - WABI (Bangor, ME)
Georgia State @ William & Mary - 7 pm - Comcast SportsNet Regional
#14 Towson @ #3 (AP) LSU - 7 pm - ESPNU

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
#12 Delaware - 75 @ #23 New Hampshire - 63
Rhode Island - 20 @ Bowling Green - 42
#3 Old Dominion - 18 @ Richmond - 23
Villanova - 17 @ Maine - 30
Georgia State - 2 @ William & Mary - 3
#14 Towson - 3 @ #3 (AP) LSU - Infinity

HailSzczur
September 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Delaware over UNH in a close one
Bowling Green over Rhode Island not much of game
ODU over Richmond by 2 touchdowns
Nova over Maine on a late field goal, I know a real homer pick
William and Mary over Georgia St. Really anyone over GA st
LSU over Towson, the only way this game is a positive one for Towson is if all the Tigers return to Maryland in 1 piece

UNHFan
September 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Thats hysterical!

Mountaineer#96
September 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM
What a joke Ga State is, I got free tickets this past weekend to watch UR put the hurt on them. I can't say I have ever seen such a joke of a "football" team. No way they win a game, their only chance would be to play a few NAIAs but as we have seen they can't even win all those.......yikes.

narc
September 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
#12 Delaware @ #23 New Hampshire - Noon - UNH bounces back
Rhode Island @ Bowling Green - 3:30 pm - Why not?
#3 Old Dominion @ Richmond - 3:30 pm - I don't see ODU scoring 64, but I think they'll score just enough to win
Villanova @ Maine - 3:30 pm - WABI (Bangor, ME) - Home team wins
Georgia State @ William & Mary - 7 pm - Comcast SportsNet Regional - I didn't think this game would be the pillow fight of the week...WM takes this one
#14 Towson @ #3 (AP) LSU - 7 pm - ESPNU - ...

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Thats hysterical!

That I was giving Towson 3 points @ LSU??? :p

melloware13
September 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM

I don't see us giving up 60+, but a close game in the 40's would probably not be a shock

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
UNH in a nail biter
Bowling Green by a lot
Maine by 7
William and Mary 6 Ga State 3
Towson upsets LSU

Go Spiders!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I don't see us giving up 60+, but a close game in the 40's would probably not be a shock

I think the score, and the result, will depend on turnovers and maybe a defensive touchdown or two. Kerr's TD and the blocked FG returned for a TD shut down W&M early and set the tone for the game. If Breaker and Co. can shake up UNH enough to make them hesitate a bit before throwing the deep pass it will allow them to play right into our D's hands.

ODUalum78
September 24th, 2012, 11:39 PM
UD @ UNH 24-41 Bad matchup for UD. UNH's #1 total rushing offense (CAA) vs UD's #7 total rushing defense. UD's offense didn't gain as many yards as W&M in their game, and UNH can put up the points. Plus, UNH is at home.

ODU @ UR 48-17 UR improving, but satatistically even with GaSt in last weeks game. UR can't count on the historically sound ODU special teams errors directly leading to 31 points.

URI @ BGU 7-41 Move along, nothing to see here.

GaSt @ W&M 10-27 W&M lose this? Not gonna happen. There may be some high school teams that could win vs GaSt.

Nova @ Maine 20-24 Close, but Maine is at home

Towson @ LSU 10-55 Just not fair, not fair at all.

UD77
September 25th, 2012, 12:54 PM
UD @ UNH 24-41 Bad matchup for UD. UNH's #1 total rushing offense (CAA) vs UD's #7 total rushing defense. UD's offense didn't gain as many yards as W&M in their game, and UNH can put up the points. Plus, UNH is at home.

ODU @ UR 48-17 UR improving, but satatistically even with GaSt in last weeks game. UR can't count on the historically sound ODU special teams errors directly leading to 31 points.

URI @ BGU 7-41 Move along, nothing to see here.

GaSt @ W&M 10-27 W&M lose this? Not gonna happen. There may be some high school teams that could win vs GaSt.

Nova @ Maine 20-24 Close, but Maine is at home

Towson @ LSU 10-55 Just not fair, not fair at all.

Because of the three defensive scores - UD's offense was not on the field for three opportunities. That would be the same as not having the ball for almost 1.5 quarters. One would expect UD's defense to be kind of tired - all that running blocked kicks, interceptions and fumbles back for TD's - then turning around and going back out on the field again. UD played one of the most dominating games that I have seen (well maybe the 40-0 2003 national champ game was better).

State Line Liquors
September 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
#12 Delaware @ #23 New Hampshire - Noon - Home advantage nod goes to UNH. Better defense than they showed last week. UD winning two tough road games in consecutive weeks is a tall order.
Rhode Island @ Bowling Green - 3:30 pm - Rhode Island is bad.
#3 Old Dominion @ Richmond - 3:30 pm - Richmond isn't getting enough credit, but they're not quite back yet.
Villanova @ Maine - 3:30 pm - Villanova is better than last year, and Maine's worse than last year, but Maine is still better than Nova.
Georgia State @ William & Mary - 7 pm - Georgia State is worse-than-Rhode-Island-bad
#14 Towson @ #3 (AP) LSU - 7 pm - Towson has no shot.

ODU78, I'm not quite sure I catch your logic on the yardage difference in the UD/W&M game and how that statistic holds any water in any calculations whatsoever. They were down by a significant margin most of the game. UD then began to focus on consuming more clock than yardage. We possessed the football 10 minutes longer than W&M...in the second half.

henfan
September 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
We possessed the football 10 minutes longer than W&M...in the second half.

...with the second team offense in for the 4th Q.

Anyone who watched this game, understands that it was not close in any facet of the game, regardless of the number of junk yards put up by the opposition.

State Line Liquors
September 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
...with the second team offense in for the 4th Q.

Anyone who watched this game, understands that it was not close in any facet of the game, regardless of the number of junk yards put up by the opposition.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I realize we have to try and justify our selections here, and there's certainly plenty of good reasons to think UNH can win this weekend...they're a heck of a program. But the yardage accumulated by W&M off a few big plays, after the game was put to bed, isn't a very good justification IMHO.

paward
September 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Saturday, September 29
Delaware 42 @ New Hampshire 35 in OT
Rhode Island 17 @ Bowling Green 35 Go into half-time tied
Old Dominion 28 @ Richmond 31 Homer Pick here
Villanova 24 @ Maine 21 This game will be dog fight
Georgia State 10 @ William & Mary 17Have to go with these coaches
Towson 14 @ LSU 34 Would love to go for upset here but "Not"

ODUalum78
September 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I realize we have to try and justify our selections here, and there's certainly plenty of good reasons to think UNH can win this weekend...they're a heck of a program. But the yardage accumulated by W&M off a few big plays, after the game was put to bed, isn't a very good justification IMHO.

Fair enough.
I didn't feel like typing everything again, so I just used W&M, a team that has hardly been able to move the ball all year.

However, I have, on various boards, expounded on this season's UD defense as part of a pattern of giving up a lot of yards all season vs "cupcakes". True enough, that your scoring defense has been good but keep in mind that ODU's was as well against relatively similar cupcakes.

I feel that unlike those cupcakes, including W&M, there will be no let down in the red zone by UNH. They can run and pass and know how to score.

2caafans
September 25th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Upset special..............The cards are stacked perfect for the Spiders to upset ODU.

bluehenbillk
September 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM
UNH 30 UD 27 - Almost a must-game for UNH, down to the wire
BG 34 URI 7 - BG coasts against a bad Rhody team
ODU 44 UR 41 - Get used to this, not a game for defensive purists
Maine 20 VU 17 - Can't say Bears losing 2 wks in a row @ home
W&M 23 GSU 14 - Someone has to win here, ugly game
LSU 52 TU 9 - Did I just say ugly game, could get worse if the Hat allows

State Line Liquors
September 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Fair enough.
I didn't feel like typing everything again, so I just used W&M, a team that has hardly been able to move the ball all year.

However, I have, on various boards, expounded on this season's UD defense as part of a pattern of giving up a lot of yards all season vs "cupcakes". True enough, that your scoring defense has been good but keep in mind that ODU's was as well against relatively similar cupcakes.

I feel that unlike those cupcakes, including W&M, there will be no let down in the red zone by UNH. They can run and pass and know how to score.

Fair enough, my friend. I now accept your reasoning. xsalutex

wapiti
September 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'll pick all the home teams.

jmufan999
September 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM
A lot of you think this will be close. I don't. I think it will be a blowout (17+). UD has exactly the type of offense that will hinder UNH: specifically, a running back that's tough to bring down. I've watched the UNH-ODU game twice now, and the horrible tackling and terrible angles should greatly, greatly concern UNH fans. Those are things that don't get fixed in a week. And getting "fired up" about last week's loss doesn't teach proper angles. And unlike ODU, UD has a good defense. UNH won't have nearly as many opportunities to score this week as they did against the quick striking Monarchs.

Not close.

I don't buy the "letdown" game for ODU. If UR is to win, they'll need to have long drives and generate a pass rush without blitzing very often. The way to beat ODU is to get hits on Heinicke. You don't always need sacks, but early pressures and knockdowns. Not sure UR can do that, since they have all of ONE sack in 4 games. That tells me Heinicke will probably have all day to throw, and I think that will make it difficult for the Spiders. ODU wins by 14-17.

I'd be lying if I said I know much about either team this year. Isn't Maine breaking in a new QB this year? I'll take Villanova because I'm pretty sure they're bringing their QB back. Total guess here, though.

I thought W&M was better than what they showed last week. Still not giving up on them. Playoffs? No. But they'll still get some wins. Georgia State is just bad.

This would be the biggest upset in college football history, possibly college sports history. I'm guessing Towson just tries to stay healthy. They'll need to be, as they'll play a rested JMU team next week that is typically strong after open weeks.

HailSzczur
September 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
[I]I'd be lying if I said I know much about either team this year. Isn't Maine breaking in a new QB this year? I'll take Villanova because I'm pretty sure they're bringing their QB back. Total guess here, though.

That was supposed to be the case for the Nova QB, but he got scrapped for a Freshman QB who has started the last 3 games and will start Saturday.

You are right about Maine's QB though. They have a new guy this year who I believe is a Jr.

DJnva
September 28th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Upset special..............The cards are stacked perfect for the Spiders to upset ODU.

Based on what?

ODU is off next week, so I doubt they look past UR. ODU's defense likely didn't enjoy the last week of practice, so I imagine they'll be better. What, exactly, is stacked?

Mind you, I'm not saying UR can't win, just wondering what you're seeing.

MR. CHICKEN
September 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Based on what?

ODU is off next week, so I doubt they look past UR. ODU's defense likely didn't enjoy the last week of practice, so I imagine they'll be better. What, exactly, is stacked?

Mind you, I'm not saying UR can't win, just wondering what you're seeing.

16916....AN OASIS....IN DUH SAND......UH QUART LOW......JES' UH MIRAGE..................xnodx.....BRAWK!!!!

ODUalum78
September 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM
16916....AN OASIS....IN DUH SAND......UH QUART LOW......JES' UH MIRAGE..................xnodx.....BRAWK!!!!

+1 :D

caribbeanhen
September 29th, 2012, 07:06 AM
A lot of you think this will be close. I don't. I think it will be a blowout (17+). UD has exactly the type of offense that will hinder UNH: specifically, a running back that's tough to bring down. I've watched the UNH-ODU game twice now, and the horrible tackling and terrible angles should greatly, greatly concern UNH fans. Those are things that don't get fixed in a week. And getting "fired up" about last week's loss doesn't teach proper angles. And unlike ODU, UD has a good defense. UNH won't have nearly as many opportunities to score this week as they did against the quick striking Monarchs.

Not close.

I don't buy the "letdown" game for ODU. If UR is to win, they'll need to have long drives and generate a pass rush without blitzing very often. The way to beat ODU is to get hits on Heinicke. You don't always need sacks, but early pressures and knockdowns. Not sure UR can do that, since they have all of ONE sack in 4 games. That tells me Heinicke will probably have all day to throw, and I think that will make it difficult for the Spiders. ODU wins by 14-17.

I'd be lying if I said I know much about either team this year. Isn't Maine breaking in a new QB this year? I'll take Villanova because I'm pretty sure they're bringing their QB back. Total guess here, though.

I thought W&M was better than what they showed last week. Still not giving up on them. Playoffs? No. But they'll still get some wins. Georgia State is just bad.

This would be the biggest upset in college football history, possibly college sports history. I'm guessing Towson just tries to stay healthy. They'll need to be, as they'll play a rested JMU team next week that is typically strong after open weeks.

would not surprise me if GAST actually wins agains William & Mary - two bad teams here

Mattymc727
September 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM

woops

HailSzczur
September 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Good thing you all took Maine. Note to the CAA, Villanova is for real.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Good thing you all took Maine. Note to the CAA, Villanova is for real.

Villanova's win over Fordham is pretty impressive too imo. The Rams are a very solid Top 40 type team.

Safe to say, 'Nova will be in my Top 25 this week. Their game against UD might determine a 4th (ODU) CAA bid

HailSzczur
September 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Villanova's win over Fordham is pretty impressive too imo. The Rams are a very solid Top 40 type team.

Safe to say, 'Nova will be in my Top 25 this week. Their game against UD might determine a 4th (ODU) CAA bid

Most complete game we've played since the win against App St 2 years ago in the playoffs. At this point I think my homerism is going to get the better of me and slide us in at 25. Next weekend is huge, Richmond is, for now at least, in that Top 40 range. A chance to get to 5-1 before hitting the meat of the schedule would be huge. If we have any shot at the playoffs we need to close out against Richmond and GA St, because sneaking 3 wins out of Towson, UDel, JMU, and ODU is going to be very very tough

UNHFan
September 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
lot of you think this will be close. I don't. I think it will be a blowout (17+). UD has exactly the type of offense that will hinder UNH: specifically, a running back that's tough to bring down. I've watched the UNH-ODU game twice now, and the horrible tackling and terrible angles should greatly, greatly concern UNH fans. Those are things that don't get fixed in a week. And getting "fired up" about last week's loss doesn't teach proper angles. And unlike ODU, UD has a good defense. UNH won't have nearly as many opportunities to score this week as they did against the quick striking Monarchs.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

tribefan40
September 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
would not surprise me if GAST actually wins agains William & Mary - two bad teams here

Guess not. Amazing what can happen when you don't gift wrap 21 points for the opposition. This season's shot, but look out for the tribe the next couple of years, quite a class of sophs getting plenty of experience...

jmufan999
September 29th, 2012, 10:53 PM
woops

Glad I was wrong.. I was rooting for UNH, just didn't think it would actually happen.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Most complete game we've played since the win against App St 2 years ago in the playoffs. At this point I think my homerism is going to get the better of me and slide us in at 25. Next weekend is huge, Richmond is, for now at least, in that Top 40 range. A chance to get to 5-1 before hitting the meat of the schedule would be huge. If we have any shot at the playoffs we need to close out against Richmond and GA St, because sneaking 3 wins out of Towson, UDel, JMU, and ODU is going to be very very tough

They jump into my poll in the teens this week. There's a lot to like with this resurgent Wildcat team. I agree about the last games for Villanova, but for now they're knocking on the playoff door. They also get bonus points for having a great coach that can push them to do better than what it looks like on paper.

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2012, 01:21 AM
Guess not. Amazing what can happen when you don't gift wrap 21 points for the opposition. This season's shot, but look out for the tribe the next couple of years, quite a class of sophs getting plenty of experience...

hey, the head coach for the Tribe is hear on AGS, who would of thought it..... gift wrap.. ha

tribefan40
October 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM
hey, the head coach for the Tribe is hear on AGS, who would of thought it..... gift wrap.. ha

Come on, you beat us without it, but you guys got some pretty nice bounces in that one. The Delaware game is looking like an outlier at this point, and I'm just hoping we can be competitive with the rest of our schedule.

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2012, 08:00 AM
#12 Delaware @ #23 New Hampshire - Noon - Home advantage nod goes to UNH. Better defense than they showed last week. UD winning two tough road games in consecutive weeks is a tall order.
Rhode Island @ Bowling Green - 3:30 pm - Rhode Island is bad.
#3 Old Dominion @ Richmond - 3:30 pm - Richmond isn't getting enough credit, but they're not quite back yet.
Villanova @ Maine - 3:30 pm - Villanova is better than last year, and Maine's worse than last year, but Maine is still better than Nova.
Georgia State @ William & Mary - 7 pm - Georgia State is worse-than-Rhode-Island-bad
#14 Towson @ #3 (AP) LSU - 7 pm - Towson has no shot.

Well, I ended up 5-1 in my predictions getting Maine & Nova wrong. But that UD game was a tale of two halves and the most important half was an ugly one for the Hens. Gut check time with what should be a couple winnable games and a bye week. If they can come through the next two unblemished I still hold a great deal of hope for a playoff spot and the opportunity to win a game or two. But it's going to take an altogether better effort from everyone involved in UD football if my hopes are going to be realized.

Big ups to UNH on getting a crucial rebound win, and being the program that continues to earn and deserve respect. They were able to create pressure that disrupted UD's offense significantly. And they completely dictated everything that took place in the 2nd half. Well done.

Credit Towson also for making that one interesting for quite a while. I think we all knew it would end up as a loss, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few moments there where I said to myself, 'Hey, nice effort Tigers.' It will be interesting to see if they treat that game as a moral victory and have a let down when they head to Harrisonburg now.

This whole Georgia State this is a complete disaster. Kudos to the Tribe for beating them like a redheaded step child and getting off the schneid.

UNH72Plus
October 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM
lot of you think this will be close. I don't. I think it will be a blowout (17+). UD has exactly the type of offense that will hinder UNH: specifically, a running back that's tough to bring down. I've watched the UNH-ODU game twice now, and the horrible tackling and terrible angles should greatly, greatly concern UNH fans. Those are things that don't get fixed in a week. And getting "fired up" about last week's loss doesn't teach proper angles. And unlike ODU, UD has a good defense. UNH won't have nearly as many opportunities to score this week as they did against the quick striking Monarchs.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

You want to re-think this one?

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Come on, you beat us without it, but you guys got some pretty nice bounces in that one. The Delaware game is looking like an outlier at this point, and I'm just hoping we can be competitive with the rest of our schedule.

I think Delaware fans are just happy that William is not that good this year or we would be 0-2 in the CAA right now, how did you guys sink to this level so fast?

ODUalum78
October 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM
I think Delaware fans are just happy that William is not that good this year or we would be 0-2 in the CAA right now, how did you guys sink to this level so fast?

One word; Grimes
W&M still has a stout and well coached defense.

However, their offense, specifically at QB and to a lesser extent WR, has had issues for fot the last two, maybe even three seasons. The outstanding play of Grimes was able to mask the deficiencies.

tribefan40
October 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
One word; Grimes
W&M still has a stout and well coached defense.

However, their offense, specifically at QB and to a lesser extent WR, has had issues for fot the last two, maybe even three seasons. The outstanding play of Grimes was able to mask the deficiencies.

This is right on, IMO. I'm pretty excited about our current group of sophs on offense including qb, wr and rb, and hoping that the offense will continue to develop this season and will be primed for a solid two year run. Most of that will depend on the qb, Ortiz.