PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network - Top 25

superman7515
September 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Top 25 - Week 4 (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm)

1. North Dakota State Bison (154) 3-0 4,201 1
2. Montana State Bobcats (5) 4-0 3,955 2
3. Youngstown State Penguins (10) 4-0 3,889 4
4. Old Dominion Monarchs 4-0 3,629 5
5. James Madison Dukes 3-1 3,399 6
6. Wofford Terriers 3-0 3,219 7
7. Eastern Washington Eagles 2-1 2,964 9
8. Delaware Blue Hens 4-0 2,617 12
9. Sam Houston State Bearkats 1-2 2,399 3
10. Georgia Southern Eagles 2-1 2,379 11
11. The Citadel Bulldogs 3-1 2,351 10
12. Towson Tigers 2-1 2,239 13
13. Illinois State Redbirds 4-0 2,223 15
14. Northern Iowa Panthers 1-3 1,899 8
15. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 4-0 1,785 16
16. Central Arkansas Bears 3-1 1,784 25
17. Appalachian State Mountaineers 2-2 1,615 17
18. Stony Brook Seawolves 3-1 1,318 20
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 3-1 1,182 21
20. New Hampshire Wildcats 2-2 970 18
21. Montana Grizzlies 2-2 864 14
22. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 3-1 836 NR
23. Cal Poly Mustangs 3-0 651 NR
24. McNeese State Cowboys 3-1 384 19
25. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 3-1 371 NR

Others receiving votes: Harvard 272, Tennessee State 246, Samford 237, Albany 235, North Dakota 175, UT Martin 116, Indiana State 74, Richmond 71, Alabama A&M 65, Jacksonville State 57, Lafayette 56, Stephen F. Austin 53, Maine 38, Bethune-Cookman 21, Villanova 18, Sacramento State 17, South Carolina State 16, Southern Utah 9, Norfolk State 5, Howard 5, Eastern Illinois 5, Jacksonville 3, Monmouth 3, Georgetown 2, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2, Tennessee Tech 1

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
A little better than coaches. Still, Montana ahead of NAU?
New Hampshire ahead of both?
Albany?
Northern Iowa and SHSU still so high?

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
SHSU...Top 10.

WTF are people smoking...SERIOUSLY. In the Poll...arguable for yes. 10 or above...only if you like living your life on your knees making a buck.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Albany?
why should UNI be lower? They'e performed better than expected.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Albany?

At least w/ UNI, which I dropped below other teams you mentioned, there is an argument that they played a heck of a sched and lost to the 1-3 team in the country at FCS, YSU (depending on who places YSU where).

SHSU....has ZERO to show for their placement in all the polls.

And yes, this poll is 10x better than the Coaches Poll

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Do you really need this explained to you?

They don't own a DI win. PERIOD.

Now...I personally still have them in the poll...but way low and only b/c of the YSU performance. I still think they are one of THE BEST 25 teams in the country.

Now...if you blind polled people and didn't put UNI's name on this schedule/results...you really think people would place them at #25. What if this was say, Savannah State......

UNI is staying were they are becasue they are UNI!!!

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM

1-3 That is why. No matter who those games are against we are 1-3 with no D1 wins.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
1-3 That is why. No matter who those games are against we are 1-3 with no D1 wins.

Always great to see serious objectivity when it would be so easy to be a homer.

REP POINTS!!!

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
They don't own a DI win. PERIOD.

what does that have to do with anything? We are evaluating the quality of teams. By your own words UNI is a good team, regardless of record. Everyone with a pulse knew that UNI would start somewhere around 1-4, I don't see why the fact that they are doing this should hurt them.

If they were worthy of being a top ten team when everyone knew they were going to start 1-4, why should they be punished for having gone 1-3 so far? If NDSU beats UNI, should they drop out entirely, since they will be eliminated from the playoffs? Of course not, because everyone with eyes can watch UNI and tell they are a top tier team this year.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM
what does that have to do with anything? We are evaluating the quality of teams. By your own words UNI is a good team, regardless of record. Everyone with a pulse knew that UNI would start somewhere around 1-4, I don't see why the fact that they are doing this should hurt them.

If they were worthy of being a top ten team when everyone knew they were going to start 1-4, why should they be punished for having gone 1-3 so far? If NDSU beats UNI, should they drop out entirely, since they will be eliminated from the playoffs? Of course not, because everyone with eyes can watch UNI and tell they are a top tier team this year.

How can a team be quality...Top 15 quality if they don't own a DI win. FORGETTING ALL OTHER SUBJECTIVITY FOR A MOMENT?!?! Today...not tomorrow...how can this team be TOP 15 if they aren't even on the Win board yet nearly 5 weeks into the season.

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Agreed. Must win out against a tough schedule to make the playoffs. There's a good chance that after this weekend (only 5 weeks into the season), UNI will be playing for pride from then on out. Hard for me to give a high ranking to a team that could be out of the playoff hunt only 5 weeks in, regardless of the competition and how close they played against good opponents. I know alot of people will rank them high because they are a good team that can beat plenty of FCS teams, but in my eyes, if you aren't in consideration for the playoffs, you're out. For example, if NDSU wins next week by 1 on a last second FG, ending UNI's playoff hopes, do they still stay in the top 25 because they took the #1 team down to the wire?

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 12:26 PM
You'll learn as you go through life that these polls (Media/Coaches) are rarely judged exclusively as simply what a team has done that season. They pick what they think are the best teams. Some people are a little less informed than others. (hence NAU being below Montana likely from people just not knowing how not to put Montana in their top 25) However, yes SHSU hasn't played anyone of worth, but they still are viewed likely by many of these sportswriters as able to beat a large percentage of the teams in the FCS. This is how these polls are always going to go. Computer ratings judge based on who you've played, personal opinion polls (coaches/media) will judge based on who they think are the best teams. In both polls, I'm confused about their placement of Albany, and the fact NAU hasn't passed Montana, but otherwise this is how these polls are done.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
How can a team be quality...Top 15 quality if they don't own a DI win. FORGETTING ALL OTHER SUBJECTIVITY FOR A MOMENT?!?! Today...not tomorrow...how can this team be TOP 15 if they aren't even on the Win board yet nearly 5 weeks into the season.

by being a better team than those ranked below it? hard stuff right there.

how can you drop a team out of the top 10 for performing better than expected? Lets say a hypothetical preseason #1 NDSU went out and played Alabama, Florida state, and Oregon to open the season, and almost beat two of them, would you drop them to 15th even though it was obvious that their play was outstanding, and they would be the favorites and certainly look better than just about everyone they might play between, because they had ZERO D1 WINS? An exaggerated scenario obviously.

danefan
September 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
xsmugx

How much would Albany's ranking change if it was the exact same team with the exact same resume but in the CAA this year instead of next?

danefan
September 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
by being a better team than those ranked below it? hard stuff right there.

how can you drop a team out of the top 10 for performing better than expected? Lets say a hypothetical preseason #1 NDSU went out and played Alabama, Florida state, and Oregon to open the season, and almost beat two of them, would you drop them to 15th even though it was obvious that their play was outstanding, and they would be the favorites and certainly look better than just about everyone they might play between, because they had ZERO D1 WINS? An exaggerated scenario obviously.

I wouldn't drop them out, but I would look to find something to compare them against the rest of the teams in the poll. UNI has exactly one real piece on their resume to compare to them to anyone else - a loss against YSU equal to that of the #21 team.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Agreed. Must win out against a tough schedule to make the playoffs. There's a good chance that after this weekend (only 5 weeks into the season), UNI will be playing for pride from then on out. Hard for me to give a high ranking to a team that could be out of the playoff hunt only 5 weeks in, regardless of the competition and how close they played against good opponents. I know alot of people will rank them high because they are a good team that can beat plenty of FCS teams, but in my eyes, if you aren't in consideration for the playoffs, you're out. For example, if NDSU wins next week by 1 on a last second FG, ending UNI's playoff hopes, do they still stay in the top 25 because they took the #1 team down to the wire?

a better question, is would they be favored against #25? How about #24? or #23?

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Allow me to be the first to post my ballot (and thusly be trashed by everyone):

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: Old Dominion Monarchs
4: James Madison Dukes
5: Georgia Southern Eagles
6: Youngstown State Penguins
7: Wofford Terriers
8: Northern Iowa Panthers
9: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
10: The Citadel Bulldogs
11: Sam Houston State Bearkats
12: Appalachian State Mountaineers
13: Eastern Washington Eagles
14: Cal Poly Mustangs
15: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Illinois State Redbirds
17: Central Arkansas Bears
18: Stony Brook Seawolves
19: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
20: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
21: Albany Great Danes
22: New Hampshire Wildcats
23: Samford Bulldogs
24: North Dakota
25: South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Allow me to be the first to post my ballot (and thusly be trashed by everyone):

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: Old Dominion Monarchs
4: James Madison Dukes
5: Georgia Southern Eagles
6: Youngstown State Penguins
7: Wofford Terriers
8: Northern Iowa Panthers
9: Lehigh Mountain Hawks
10: The Citadel Bulldogs
11: Sam Houston State Bearkats
12: Appalachian State Mountaineers
13: Eastern Washington Eagles
14: Cal Poly Mustangs
15: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
16: Illinois State Redbirds
17: Central Arkansas Bears
18: Stony Brook Seawolves
19: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
20: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
21: Albany Great Danes
22: New Hampshire Wildcats
23: Samford Bulldogs
24: North Dakota
25: South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Other thread, unless you voted in TSN poll.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't drop them out, but I would look to find something to compare them against the rest of the teams in the poll. UNI has exactly one real piece on their resume to compare to them to anyone else - a loss against YSU equal to that of the #21 team.

Ding Ding...which is why UNI is sitting right next to UA in my poll.

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM

so your little tirade against UNI is really about albany being underrated? I agree that they are.

danefan
September 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
so your little tirade against UNI is really about albany being underrated? I agree that they are.

That was Dane96's tirade, not mine.

And no, I don't think its about Albany being underrated. I think we fit nicely in the 18-22 range. The same spot UNI sits in my mind.

bjtheflamesfan
Done...I realized I posted in the wrong thread when I got the email alerts

Dane96
No one had a tirade against UNI.

Simply put...no other team from a non-MVFC or CAA conference would be in the Top 14 with a 1-3 record. They would be arguably, and are in mine, in the Poll...but not in the Top 14.

And FYI, Danefan and Dane96 are two different people; sometimes we share a view...but seperate peeps.

Lehigh'98
The best thing about the FCS polls is that you don't have to argue about them at the end of the year because its determined by a playoff. All subjective at this point.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM

And no, I don't think its about Albany being underrated. I think we fit nicely in the 18-22 range. The same spot UNI sits in my mind.

Hey...I pointed out that we were seperate peeps...but that wasn't a tirade ;)

danefan
September 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hey...I pointed out that we were seperate peeps...but that wasn't a tirade ;)

I don't know....lots of CAPSLOCK in there. xlolx

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 12:46 PM
a better question, is would they be favored against #25? How about #24? or #23?

Given that there is such a large dropoff in points from #20/21 through #25, in this poll and AGS, it's clear that there is no consensus that those teams are top 25 quality. If UNI loses next week, would UNI be favored over the #18-20 teams (bottom of the playoff qualifiers).

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM

I had considered albany as high as 10th. If I could have i would have entered my #11 (shsu) through my #18 (ODU) as a tie. Albany was an admitted low #17 for me this week.

also, for some reason i can't keep any of you danes apart.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know....lots of CAPSLOCK in there. xlolx

True. I should have typed, "Emphasis added," instead of a non-judicious use of CAPSLOCK. I just wanted to point out the concept of subjectivity. ;)

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I had considered albany as high as 10th. If I could have i would have entered my #11 (shsu) through my #18 (ODU) as a tie. Albany was an admitted low #17 for me this week.

also, for some reason i can't keep any of you danes apart.

Danes usually come in pairs or packs :)

frozennorth
September 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Given that there is such a large dropoff in points from #20/21 through #25, in this poll and AGS, it's clear that there is no consensus that those teams are top 25 quality. If UNI loses next week, would UNI be favored over the #18-20 teams (bottom of the playoff qualifiers).

perhaps you missed the point. lets continue:

#22? #21? #20? #19? how about 18 or 17?

yes, after UNI loses to a team that should beat them, I think they will be favored the rest of the year.

I mean people are writing off UNI for a trio of very close losses to a pair of big ten programs (one of which is 3-1. btw) and a touchdown loss in a game that went down to the wire against the current #2/#3. If albany of MSU or whoever went in and did that against UI or UW, we woudl be singing their praises, but because they did it twice, their team is suddenly terrible?

Waco Kid
September 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM
What's up with GSU being ahead of El Cid? I understand the Dogs lost big to NCSU, but GSU barely beat a bad Elon squad at home. These polls make no sense...

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
perhaps you missed the point. lets continue:

#22? #21? #20? #19? how about 18 or 17?

yes, after UNI loses to a team that should beat them, I think they will be favored the rest of the year.

I mean people are writing off UNI for a trio of very close losses to a pair of big ten programs (one of which is 3-1. btw) and a touchdown loss in a game that went down to the wire against the current #2/#3. If albany of MSU or whoever went in and did that against UI or UW, we woudl be singing their praises, but because they did it twice, their team is suddenly terrible?

Disagree that they will be favored the rest of the year, at this point anyway. ISU-r has to be favored right now. SIU, USD, WIU and MSU would not be, but none are in the top 25 or ORV either. SDSU probably wouldn't be favored, but if the game was @SDSU instead of the UNIDome, I'm not sure. And SDSU isn't even a consensus Top 25 team.

penguinpower
September 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
SHSU...Top 10.

WTF are people smoking...SERIOUSLY. In the Poll...arguable for yes. 10 or above...only if you like living your life on your knees making a buck.

Albany go the the shaft from TSN, but don't worry, they will love you when you are in the CAA next year.

By the way, I actually had you guys at #11 in my poll becuase of the physical style of play and excellent coaching.

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
xsmugx

How much would Albany's ranking change if it was the exact same team with the exact same resume but in the CAA this year instead of next?

Exactly!!!!

This week Albany should be somewhere in that 20-25 range, but they wear the NEC patch and have 38 schollys. It is BS, but we've been dealing with this for years.

Luckly for you it will change next year, but until then enjoy your time here in the NEC.

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hey Dane 96-

I had you #24 this week - good win versus Maine, keeping on eye on you.

And - I accept your apology from last week about Central Arkansas :)

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Albany go the the shaft from TSN, but don't worry, they will love you when you are in the CAA next year.

By the way, I actually had you guys at #11 in my poll becuase of the physical style of play and excellent coaching.

I don't know if I would guarantee this. We were all still in uproar late October of last year over the lack of respect for Maine and Towson. Tradition, not CAA bias, is what the TSN usually favors. That's why teams like Montana, ASU, Georgia Southern, UNI, southern CAA, etc teams are often higher than assumed. Where was Maine and Towson last year after week 4?

Bearkat-Backer
September 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
SHSU...Top 10.

I agree. We are now 1-2 with no DI wins. At what point do we start getting ranked by what we do this year instead of what we did last year? Hopefully we can right the ship ASAP and still have a shot at the playoffs. The Kat's team that I watched in the 4th qtr of each of the last 2 games is not a top 10 team. We seem to have forgotten how to play an entire 4 qtrs.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hey Dane 96-

I had you #24 this week - good win versus Maine, keeping on eye on you.

And - I accept your apology from last week about Central Arkansas :)

I accept your acceptance.

;)

89rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Nice to be back in the poll after a 1 year absence. xthumbsupx

BEAR
September 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I agree. We are now 1-2 with no DI wins. At what point do we start getting ranked by what we do this year instead of what we did last year? Hopefully we can right the ship ASAP and still have a shot at the playoffs. The Kat's team that I watched in the 4th qtr of each of the last 2 games is not a top 10 team. We seem to have forgotten how to play an entire 4 qtrs.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/customavatars/avatar487_3.gif xnodx xlolx xlolx Ironic isn't it. Spooky actually.

Cleets
September 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Sometimes I think they do this - just to get people worked up...
A team with a Freshman QB with 256 turnovers no quality wins and a KEY loss at home to a practically unranked team should NEVER be in the top 25
I don't care how many games they won last year - or - the last 10 years

Example: Montana

GeauxLions94
September 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Here's mine FWIW ... with my last week's ranking in ()

1: North Dakota State Bison (1)
2: Montana State Bobcats (2)
3: Old Dominion Monarchs (3)
4: Youngstown State Penguins (4)
5: Wofford Terriers (5)
6: James Madison Dukes (6)
7: Eastern Washington Eagles (10)
8: The Citadel Bulldogs (7)
9: Georgia Southern Eagles (11)
10: Towson Tigers (12)
11: Central Arkansas Bears (21)
12: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens (13)
13: Lehigh Mountain Hawks (14)
14: Sam Houston State Bearkats (6)
15: Cal Poly Mustangs (16)
16: McNeese State Cowboys (9)
17: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (NR)
18: Illinois State Redbirds (18)
19: South Dakota State Jackrabbits (19)
20: Eastern Kentucky Colonels (23)
21: Montana Grizzlies (15)
22: Stony Brook Seawolves (22)
23: New Hampshire Wildcats (20)
24: Samford Bulldogs (25)
25: Tennessee State Tigers (NR)

Dropped out: Northern Iowa (17), Jacksonville State (24)

Saint3333
September 24th, 2012, 07:43 PM
People are pissed about a poll in September, why?

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
People are pissed about a poll in September, why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwu-6GxBHN4