PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly 28 UC Davis 20

poly51
September 23rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Final Cal Poly 28 UC Davis.

Cal Poly spotted Davis 10 points in the first quarter before scoring 28 straight. Prevent defense allowed Davis 10 more in the 4th quarter.

401ks
September 23rd, 2012, 12:24 AM
Congratulations to the Mustangs!

I watched the game on TV instead of going to the game in person. Since it was a sellout crowd, I assume I wasn't missed. :o

tingly
September 23rd, 2012, 12:38 AM
3 Poly penalties on one of the late Davis drives were about as much to blame.

Squealofthepig
September 23rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
Division 1 wins: 3

Remaining schedule (need 4 to be playoff eligible now):
@North Dakota
@Weber State
vs. Northern Colorado
vs. Portland State
@Sac State
@EWU
vs. Idaho State
@NAU

No gimmes in the away column, of course, but it's hard not to be pretty bullish on the Mustangs this year. The only game I see them as a definite underdog is @EWU (though@UND and @NAU will be tough, and in-state @Sac could be interesting). Take care of home, win one away and get shipped to Bozeman for a round one playoff game; win two and who knows?

tingly
September 23rd, 2012, 12:44 AM
Some of the trick this season is getting the losses to come in the right games. The @EWU game won't count on conference records, so a loss there wouldn't be so bad. The rest of the games are Big Sky.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM
Division 1 wins: 3

Remaining schedule (need 4 to be playoff eligible now):
@North Dakota
@Weber State
vs. Northern Colorado
vs. Portland State
@Sac State
@EWU
vs. Idaho State
@NAU

No gimmes in the away column, of course, but it's hard not to be pretty bullish on the Mustangs this year. The only game I see them as a definite underdog is @EWU (though@UND and @NAU will be tough, and in-state @Sac could be interesting). Take care of home, win one away and get shipped to Bozeman for a round one playoff game; win two and who knows?

Does the committee not attempt to keep conference mates apart in the beginnings of the playoffs?

bojeta
September 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Final Cal Poly 28 UC Davis.

Cal Poly spotted Davis 10 points in the first quarter before scoring 28 straight. Prevent defense allowed Davis 10 more in the 4th quarter.

A Prevent D and a horrible pass intererence call that nearly caused Tim Walsh to bust a blood vessel!!! I was right there with him as were the 11,000 fans that were ready to dismember the Field Judge. The call took a drive ending play and turned it into red zone possession for Davis and then a score. Take that away and this game wasn't very close.

Squealofthepig
September 23rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
Does the committee not attempt to keep conference mates apart in the beginnings of the playoffs?

I believe the key word is "attempt" - it will be curious to see how they balance in-conference teams that have not played each other with their 400 mile rule; but to your point, the language is that the committee will try:

Avoiding first round match-ups with teams from the same conference (Note: The round of 16 is now the "second round")

401ks
September 23rd, 2012, 02:17 AM
A Prevent D and a horrible pass intererence call that nearly caused Tim Walsh to bust a blood vessel!!! I was right there with him as were the 11,000 fans that were ready to dismember the Field Judge. The call took a drive ending play and turned it into red zone possession for Davis and then a score. Take that away and this game wasn't very close.

If you're talking about the play/penalty I believe you're talking about, you may not have been able to hear it in the stands but the call (as clearly shown and heard on TV) was "unnecessary roughness". Of course, an unnecessary roughness call is possibly even more absurd than a pass interference call in that instance. xsmhx

In the end, however... A win is a win.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 02:24 AM
I believe the key word is "attempt" - it will be curious to see how they balance in-conference teams that have not played each other with their 400 mile rule; but to your point, the language is that the committee will try:

That is curious, perhaps the CAA being a conference with this same 'problem', historically, has an example to support your hypothesis?

Of course the Big Sky is a different animal in many regards.

I emphasize problem because it is mostly and most likely an adventageous one. ;)

Squealofthepig
September 23rd, 2012, 02:32 AM
That is curious, perhaps the CAA being a conference with this same 'problem', historically, has an example to support your hypothesis?

Of course the Big Sky is a different animal in many regards.

I emphasize problem because it is mostly and most likely an adventageous one. ;)

Well, it is and it isn't - I think we've seen several years of east/west regionalization that is somewhat alarming, just because you have, on one side of the bracket, a lot of good MVC/BSC/Southland teams hosting on one side, and on the other, CAA, SoCon and strong teams from other east coast teams (e.g., Colgate in the early 00's, Lehigh last year, etc). From a playoff perspective, I'd rather see more cross-the-Mississippi matches, though I will note the NCAA's at-least-logical-on-paper logic. (And yes, I'd like to see a full 1-20/1-24 seeding).

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention the 400 mile thing makes it much easier for the NCAA to split things up out East - will be curious to see what they do with our much-more-geographically dispersed teams out here.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Well, it is and it isn't - I think we've seen several years of east/west regionalization that is somewhat alarming, just because you have, on one side of the bracket, a lot of good MVC/BSC/Southland teams hosting on one side, and on the other, CAA, SoCon and strong teams from other east coast teams (e.g., Colgate in the early 00's, Lehigh last year, etc). From a playoff perspective, I'd rather see more cross-the-Mississippi matches, though I will note the NCAA's at-least-logical-on-paper logic. (And yes, I'd like to see a full 1-20/1-24 seeding).

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention the 400 mile thing makes it much easier for the NCAA to split things up out East - will be curious to see what they do with our much-more-geographically dispersed teams out here.

The adventageous problem shared with the CAA in that regard is the ability for Cal Poly to dodge other contenders and vice versa, etc. They are not compelled by the schedule to inflict a loss on one and another. This is no doubt a good thing for the big sky as a whole.

Obvious differences include but are not limited to, the massive geographical area the BSC covers and the fact that there are ten million FCS schools in the east rather than the sparse sprinkling that exists west of the mississippi.