PDA

View Full Version : Twelve teams...Top 25 worthy?

DSUrocks07
September 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Cal Poly (Big Sky)
Villanova (CAA)
Richmond (CAA)
Harvard (Ivy)
South Dakota State (MVFC)
Eastern Kentucky (OVC)
Tennessee State (OVC)
Tennessee Martin (OVC)
Samford (SoCon)
Monmouth (NEC)
Duquesne (NEC)
Fordham (Patriot)
Jacksonville (Pioneer)
Alabama A&M (SWAC)

Rank and state your reason for ranking them that way.

EDIT: these are a handful of undefeated and one-loss teams that I believe should have some consideration for a top 25 selection this week. The point of my post is for people to make an argument for some of the teams that they feel should be in the poll.

mmiller_34
September 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
What about South Dakota State (3-1) after a win over Indiana State?

DSUrocks07
September 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
What about South Dakota State (3-1) after a win over Indiana State?

Definitely true, they should be included as well. I already see them as a Top 25 team.

SD State should be considered above all of these teams IMO. But basically this is about who is Top 25 worthy where the margins get progressively smaller and smaller.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
I suspect CP is the only team that will grace my ballot.

FargoBison
September 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
Cal Poly is in my top 15, I've been impressed with the Mustangs so far. I also have UT-Martin ranked but I'm not completely sold on them.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
SDSU has been in my top 25 already. CP Also.

dbackjon
September 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Northern Arizona - if not in the top 15 this week, the poll should be trashed.

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM

Agree! Huge win to go with BCS win

UNDColorado
September 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
100% agree Db. I know some will not acknowledge this but UND is also for real and deserves some consideration.

darell1976
September 23rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
100% agree Db. I know some will not acknowledge this but UND is also for real and deserves some consideration.

If UND beats Cal Poly they deserve to be ranked, right now we are close but I can see us not being ranked.

UNDColorado
I can agree with that.

dbackjon
Agree! Huge win to go with BCS win

Thanks!

Win at Missoula
Win over FBS team (UNLV, who lost to 4-0 Minnesota in OT)

DSUrocks07
September 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM

This. If you don't have them in there, you're not paying attention.

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks!

Win at Missoula

What a fresh change of pace for the Gophers to be quoted as a team which another team lost to in OT...as a compliment!

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
NAU, SDSU and UND for certain all in the top 25.

UND has a pretty harsh stretch the next five games. Right now they're sitting at 2-1 really (excluding the SD mines win). If they can manage to go 3-2 over the next five games, they should win the last two games and be 7-3 for the committee's consideration. Games are Poly, @EWU, NAU, Montana and @MSU. Good luck!

danefan
September 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Albany has to be a Top 25 team this week, IMO

Facts

1. beat the #22 team on the road by two scores (should have been three but Maine scored a late TD) and our offense stumbled the whole game.
2. Played within the same margin against the #4 team that the #6 team did
3. Easily beat Colgate, which gave the #16 team a run for their money.

Seems that all adds up to being ranked at least as high as Stony Brook and arguably higher.

dbackjon
September 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Albany - yes, should be in

colonelblitz
September 23rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cal Poly (Big Sky)
Villanova (CAA)
Richmond (CAA)
Harvard (Ivy)
South Dakota State (MVFC)
Eastern Kentucky (OVC)
Tennessee State (OVC)
Tennessee Martin (OVC)
Samford (SoCon)
Monmouth (NEC)
Duquesne (NEC)
Fordham (Patriot)
Jacksonville (Pioneer)
Alabama A&M (SWAC)

EDIT: these are a handful of undefeated and one-loss teams that I believe should have some consideration for a top 25 selection this week. The point of my post is for people to make an argument for some of the teams that they feel should be in the poll.
Take EKU off your list.... They are already there, have been all year..

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Albany has to be a Top 25 team this week, IMO

Facts

1. beat the #22 team on the road by two scores (should have been three but Maine scored a late TD) and our offense stumbled the whole game.
2. Played within the same margin against the #4 team that the #6 team did
3. Easily beat Colgate, which gave the #16 team a run for their money.

Seems that all adds up to being ranked at least as high as Stony Brook and arguably higher.

Albany is knocking on the Top 10 door in my poll. Then again, they've been in my Top 25 since the pre-season.

MTfan4life
September 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
NAU - They could go 8-0 in conference play. UM was their only game against the three headed monster of the northwest. They look pretty tough.
SDSU - A signature win on the road should boost them into the top 25.
Cal Poly - I would sure hope that they belong in the top 25 by now.
Albany - I have them ranked one spot below Clemson in another poll that I did, so I'll probably leave them out of this one.
Richmond - How quickly we all forget. I have them first on the bubble. A solid program. Hard to believe one bad year causes them to disappear from our memories.
Villanova - Kind of like above, but from what I've heard, they're still really young.
Alabama A&M - It's hard to tell. It's always hard to tell with the SWAC teams.
Harvard - See above but insert Ivy. Even harder considering they've played just twice.
Eastern Kentucky - Yes they struggled against Morehead State, but they also did well on the road against Coastal and just rocked conference foe JSU. Definitely in.
Tennessee State - Flying under the radar so far. 4-0. October will make or break them. vs. EKU @ SEMO @ JSU vs. TTU
Tennessee Martin - Not quite yet in the poll for me. Has a chance to prove itself with a home game against EKU next weekend.
Samford - Just barely squeaked it out against WCU. Tough road ahead of them. Right on the 25/26 fence.
The rest: Still work to do.

danefan
September 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Albany - I have them ranked one spot below Clemson in another poll that I did, so I'll probably leave them out of this one.

Good choice. I'd take Albany by two scores on the road at Clemson. ;)

caribbeanhen
September 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks!

Win at Missoula

not trying to be a smartarse but when was the last time Northern Arizona made the playoffs?

caribbeanhen
September 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
hey DSU, were you at the game last night - I was pulling for you guys but just by the score must have been a good game

MTfan4life
September 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
not trying to be a smartarse but when was the last time Northern Arizona made the playoffs?

DSUrocks07
September 23rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
hey DSU, were you at the game last night - I was pulling for you guys but just by the score must have been a good game

Had to work (hard to get Saturdays off). Really frustrating when you have a QB that throws for almost 400 yds on your defense and a coaching staff that goes for 2 TWICE on scoring drives. Should have went to overtime. Oh well, there are a few bright spots for the Hornets, Dae-Hon Cheung will be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years. But our coaches put the team in a terrible position that they couldn't completely recover from. The game was close in SPITE of our coaches.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
From best to worst:

Cal Poly (Big Sky) -> Pros: 3-0, all wins D1, includes one FBS win Cons: 1 win is over a PFL team, another against a struggling UC Davis team, FBS win is vs. Wyoming who is 1-3 with only win against Idaho

Tennessee Martin (OVC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, includes one FBS win, only loss to FBS team. Cons: Wins include 0-4 Austin Peay, 1-3 SE LA (but SELA did upset McNeese...), and the FBS win is 0-4 Memphis

Eastern Kentucky (OVC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, CCU and Jacksonville State seem quality, only loss to BCS team. Cons: None that I can see right now

South Dakota State (MVFC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to BCS Cons: Wins include D1-winless UC Davis, and a suspect SELA team.

Tennessee State (OVC) -> Pros: 4-0, all wins D1, wins against FAMU and BC-U are decent Cons: Wins against Jackson State and Austin Peay don't count for much

Villanova (CAA) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to FBS Cons: 2 wins are over winless URI and Penn, got blown out by Temple who doesn't seem to be very strong this year

Samford (SoCon) -> Pros: 4-0, 3 wins D1 Cons: Combined D1 record of D1 opponents is 1-10

Richmond (CAA) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to BCS Cons: Wins include winless Gardner Webb, winless and awful GA State, and 1 win (vs D2) VMI. D1 records of opponents won against is 0-11

Monmouth (NEC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to ranked FCS Lehigh Cons: Wins include winless Sacred Heart and winless Rhode Island

Duquesne (NEC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to ranked FCS Old Dominion Cons: Wins include two PFL teams and a winless Bryant. Combined record of opponents won over is 1-11.

Fordham (Patriot) -> Pros: 3-1, 2 D1 wins, shut out a D2 team Cons: Loss to unranked FCS Villanova, wins against Cornell and Columbia are hard to quantify

Harvard (Ivy) -> Pros: 2-0, both wins D1 Cons: 1 win is against a PFL team

Jacksonville (Pioneer) -> Pros: 3-1, 2 D1 wins, only loss to ranked FCS GA Southern Cons: PFL member, wins are against another PFL team and awful Chuck South team. Total D1 record of opponents won over is 1-6

Alabama A&M (SWAC) -> Pros: 4-0, 3 D1 wins Cons: SWAC member, only beat a D2 team by 1 point, hard to quantify SWAC on SWAC wins, Texas Southern and PVAMU seem bad even by that standard

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think UNI is still a top 10.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think UNI is still a top 10.

I think that to a degree UNI is the victim of the most brutal early schedule in the FCS, but I can't see voting any teams with a losing record into the top 25, much less the top 10.

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
E
I think that to a degree UNI is the victim of the most brutal early schedule in the FCS, but I can't see voting any teams with a losing record into the top 25, much less the top 10.

I understand however, they could still beat nearly every FCS team. They are very very good, very fast, very physical, and athletic. Not to mention well coached. Savannah state put a good screwing on them.

DSUrocks07
September 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
E

I understand however, they could still beat nearly every FCS team. They are very very good, very fast, very physical, and athletic. Not to mention well coached.

If they do that then they'll be ranked solidly in the Top 10 in a couple weeks.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
If they do that then they'll be ranked solidly in the Top 10 in a couple weeks.

Exactly. The tough part for UNI is that unless they win out the rest of this season, they won't even make the playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Exactly. The tough part for UNI is that unless they win out the rest of this season, they won't even make the playoffs.

UNI ='s EWU last year. Talented team that scheduled over their heads. Granted, App St played and lost two FBS games in '06(?) yet still won the title.

HailSzczur
September 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Villanova is not a Top 25 team. I say that without any hesitation. I will not vote for will, but I'm sure some people will. We will be in the Other's Receiving Votes Category (#39 AGS last week) and I think we deserve to be in that Top 40. However my only qualm is that I don't think we are good enough for anyone to be putting us in their personal Top 25. If we win in Orno next weekend, I would think about sliding us in the 25 slot, so lets wait and see what happens.

I would say the same exact thing for our CAA mate Richmond. Especially since they are playing at ODU next weekend. A win down there and no one will question them as a Top 25 team. Could make for an interesting matchup when we play the spiders in 2 weeks

URMite
September 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Villanova is not a Top 25 team. I say that without any hesitation. I will not vote for will, but I'm sure some people will. We will be in the Other's Receiving Votes Category (#39 AGS last week) and I think we deserve to be in that Top 40. However my only qualm is that I don't think we are good enough for anyone to be putting us in their personal Top 25. If we win in Orno next weekend, I would think about sliding us in the 25 slot, so lets wait and see what happens.

I would say the same exact thing for our CAA mate Richmond. Especially since they are playing at ODU next weekend. A win down there and no one will question them as a Top 25 team. Could make for an interesting matchup when we play the spiders in 2 weeks

Actually that is family weekend at UR. Otherwise I agree with you. But we should get some top 25 votes with a shutout win. :D

putter
September 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Dont think you will see it happen Jon. Going from far outside the top 25 to 15 based on a win over a young Montana club (Ft. Lewis cannot be considered) will not do it. Keep winning and they will move up quickly

Screamin_Eagle174
September 23rd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Dont think you will see it happen Jon. Going from far outside the top 25 to 15 based on a win over a young Montana club (Ft. Lewis cannot be considered) will not do it. Keep winning and they will move up quickly

I basically agree with this. I had NAU at 25 last week, and moved them up to 20 this week. I wasn't high on the Griz before the season, had them around 20. I was forced to move them up to 15 after their wins over USD and Liberty, and close loss at App. But App is also overrated somewhat getting blown out by the Citadel in their own house.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 23rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
UNI ='s EWU last year. Talented team that scheduled over their heads. Granted, App St played and lost two FBS games in '06(?) yet still won the title.

Also agree with this. I wouldn't be too surprised with UNI winning out, but then again they have a brutal schedule considering how strong the MVFC is this year. IlSt and NDSU will be fun games to watch.

dbackjon
September 23rd, 2012, 06:53 PM

Which is why you should re-rank every week from scratch

NAU has an FBS WIN as well.

MSUBobcat
September 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM

I believe he was saying that NAU was tied for #39 in the last AGS poll, so jumping to the top 15 after beating the #13 Griz may be a bit of a stretch. #23 UCA beat the #2 team in the poll, and I wasn't sure of bumping them up the 11 spots that I did, which put them just inside the top 15 (I didn't have them at #23 though either). You can't really go from not ranked to the top 15 by beating a team just inside the top 15, IMO.

dbackjon
September 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
I believe he was saying that NAU was tied for #39 in the last AGS poll, so jumping to the top 15 after beating the #13 Griz may be a bit of a stretch. #23 UCA beat the #2 team in the poll, and I wasn't sure of bumping them up the 11 spots that I did, which put them just inside the top 15 (I didn't have them at #23 though either). You can't really go from not ranked to the top 15 by beating a team just inside the top 15, IMO.
That is why u should not use previous weeks rating and start from scratch each week

MSUBobcat
September 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
That is why u should not use previous weeks rating and start from scratch each week

I must not have gotten your handbook on doing rankings xrolleyesx. Its not like I take last week's ranking, see if they won/lost and move 'em up/down x spots. UNLV was a good win, but let's be honest, they aren't that good. Wa State beat them in LV by more than they beat EWU at home. NAU didn't DOMINATE all facets of the game against the Griz, as you have said, and UM (like many teams at this point in the season) seems to have some issues to clean up (taking no credit from NAU for what was a superb 2nd half). I have 3 BSC teams alone ahead of them, and since I don't see 4 teams making the field of 20 playoff teams, it's hard for me to justify 4 teams in the top 15. It's still plenty early in the year. Keep winning, and you'll keep rising. No need to get worked up about a Week 4 poll.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM

I have NAU in my poll...but enough of this FBS win. To me that win simply slots them a bit higher than they normally would because frankly...that is your best win of the year. Montana is really sad right now...and beating UNLV trumps Montana...and both 'aint sayin' much.

Keep winning and the Jacks will easily slide up the polls.

Twentysix
September 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Cal Poly (Big Sky) Ranked
Villanova (CAA) no
Richmond (CAA) no
Harvard (Ivy) no
South Dakota State (MVFC) Ranked
Eastern Kentucky (OVC) Ranked
Tennessee State (OVC) No
Tennessee Martin (OVC) No
Samford (SoCon) No
Monmouth (NEC) No
Duquesne (NEC) No
Fordham (Patriot) No
Jacksonville (Pioneer) No
Alabama A&M (SWAC) No

Three of the no votes were in a fourway tie for 25th place. I ultimately gave a team not listed above the regionality tiebreaker.

JMUNJ08
September 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
From best to worst:

Cal Poly (Big Sky) -> Pros: 3-0, all wins D1, includes one FBS win Cons: 1 win is over a PFL team, another against a struggling UC Davis team, FBS win is vs. Wyoming who is 1-3 with only win against Idaho

Tennessee Martin (OVC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, includes one FBS win, only loss to FBS team. Cons: Wins include 0-4 Austin Peay, 1-3 SE LA (but SELA did upset McNeese...), and the FBS win is 0-4 Memphis

Eastern Kentucky (OVC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, CCU and Jacksonville State seem quality, only loss to BCS team. Cons: None that I can see right now

South Dakota State (MVFC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to BCS Cons: Wins include D1-winless UC Davis, and a suspect SELA team.

Tennessee State (OVC) -> Pros: 4-0, all wins D1, wins against FAMU and BC-U are decent Cons: Wins against Jackson State and Austin Peay don't count for much

Villanova (CAA) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to FBS Cons: 2 wins are over winless URI and Penn, got blown out by Temple who doesn't seem to be very strong this year

Samford (SoCon) -> Pros: 4-0, 3 wins D1 Cons: Combined D1 record of D1 opponents is 1-10

Richmond (CAA) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to BCS Cons: Wins include winless Gardner Webb, winless and awful GA State, and 1 win (vs D2) VMI. D1 records of opponents won against is 0-11

Monmouth (NEC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to ranked FCS Lehigh Cons: Wins include winless Sacred Heart and winless Rhode Island

Duquesne (NEC) -> Pros: 3-1, all wins D1, only loss to ranked FCS Old Dominion Cons: Wins include two PFL teams and a winless Bryant. Combined record of opponents won over is 1-11.

Fordham (Patriot) -> Pros: 3-1, 2 D1 wins, shut out a D2 team Cons: Loss to unranked FCS Villanova, wins against Cornell and Columbia are hard to quantify

Jacksonville (Pioneer) -> Pros: 3-1, 2 D1 wins, only loss to ranked FCS GA Southern Cons: PFL member, wins are against another PFL team and awful Chuck South team. Total D1 record of opponents won over is 1-6

Alabama A&M (SWAC) -> Pros: 4-0, 3 D1 wins Cons: SWAC member, only beat a D2 team by 1 point, hard to quantify SWAC on SWAC wins, Texas Southern and PVAMU seem bad even by that standard

Having trouble not agreeing almost exactly with you. Got your top 5 teams all ranked nearly in that order.

Overall, once I got past my top 2, all the other teams I had trouble putting in an accurate spot. Hopefully some big games this weekend will narrow down the pool and get more of a reading on these teams as well as the rest of my poll.

JMUNJ08
September 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM

Top 20 is a good spot for them. Some nice wins so far but I've jumped on the NAU bandwagon early the last few seasons only to be disappointed. UNLV is a horrible FBS team and I haven't had Montana ranked since the App St loss since they were low in my poll to begin the season. The conference schedule stacks up nicely for them this year. Really looking forward to seeing you guys turn the tide in a revamped Big Sky...

MSUBobcat
September 23rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Top 20 is a good spot for them. Some nice wins so far but I've jumped on the NAU bandwagon early the last few seasons only to be disappointed. UNLV is a horrible FBS team and I haven't had Montana ranked since the App St loss since they were low in my poll to begin the season. The conference schedule stacks up nicely for them this year. Really looking forward to seeing you guys turn the tide in a revamped Big Sky...

I agree Top 20 is a good spot currently. Just couldn't justify a Top 15. Hopefully other posters go Top 15, otherwise we have to trash the poll. xrotatehxxlolx

Apparently you didn't get the handbook about not using previous polls either.;)

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Please ignore Richmond for about 6 more days. Please.

RabidRabbit
September 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM

Unfortunately, at this time UNI has 0 D-I wins, and cannot get to 7 D-I wins if suffer 1 more lose in conference, or rest of regular season. Still have NDSU, SDSU, and IL St. to play (don't play In St.)

Pard4Life
September 23rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Here's a top 25 team that everyone should really ask why they are ranking so high:

Lehigh 4-0: wins over three-win NEC Monmouth, winless CCSU, winless Princeton, and winless Liberty.

Meanwhile, Lafayette 3-0: wins over winless WM, winless Penn, and one-win Bucknell (Marist). And yet LC is unranked. Lafayette shouldnt be ranked yet, but Lehigh's rank really make me laugh. They are not even in my AGS top 25.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
From best to worst:

Not saying SE LA is the "real deal", but they did just beat a solid McNeese St. team last weekend. It's not like they are winless, so that has to count for something (or more than it would if they'd been blown out by McNeese).

Just wanted to get that off my chest - thanks, I feel better now...

JMUNJ08
September 23rd, 2012, 10:50 PM
I agree Top 20 is a good spot currently. Just couldn't justify a Top 15. Hopefully other posters go Top 15, otherwise we have to trash the poll. xrotatehxxlolx

Apparently you didn't get the handbook about not using previous polls either.;)

My point was that N. Arizona's win over Montana was not a top 25 win to me. Always tough at Wa-Griz but it was not AS big a win as maybe previous years.

Also, I have my handbook which is to look at my previous polls and move up, down and all-around as needed. Have to start somewhere right?

dbackjon
September 23rd, 2012, 10:52 PM

What does previous years have to do with anything? That was the reason given why NAU would not beat Montana.

UNLV is not a great team, but they did take 4-0 Minnesota to overtime - the same Minnesota that destroyed UNH, and did finally win a game (Air Force).

MSUBobcat
September 23rd, 2012, 11:10 PM
My point was that N. Arizona's win over Montana was not a top 25 win to me. Always tough at Wa-Griz but it was not AS big a win as maybe previous years.

Also, I have my handbook which is to look at my previous polls and move up, down and all-around as needed. Have to start somewhere right?

Not according to dbackjon, which was what I was alluding to by "handbook".

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
Here's a top 25 team that everyone should really ask why they are ranking so high:

Lehigh 4-0: wins over three-win NEC Monmouth, winless CCSU, winless Princeton, and winless Liberty.

Meanwhile, Lafayette 3-0: wins over winless WM, winless Penn, and one-win Bucknell (Marist). And yet LC is unranked. Lafayette shouldnt be ranked yet, but Lehigh's rank really make me laugh. They are not even in my AGS top 25.

We love you Pardlife....keep the bitterness alive....

coover
September 24th, 2012, 01:33 AM
If UND beats Cal Poly they deserve to be ranked, right now we are close but I can see us not being ranked.Come on, Darell ... you deserve to be ranked right now!

Your easy win this weekend proved to me that North Dakota is a very, very good team. I've been watching the (Sioux?) all season and I must say I'm impressed with you, particularly your offense. Your defense is a bit questionable, but I don't think anybody can keep you from scoring.

My guys are going into Alerus this weekend and I expect a very difficult night. I know they will be prepared, but I don't think their swarming defense will stop your QBs very often. The only question in my mind is whether or not your defense can stop our offense, and if so, how often.

I'm looking for a game with scoring in excess of 90 points. Anyone for 100? It should be fun to watch!

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Not saying SE LA is the "real deal", but they did just beat a solid McNeese St. team last weekend. It's not like they are winless, so that has to count for something (or more than it would if they'd been blown out by McNeese).

Just wanted to get that off my chest - thanks, I feel better now...

I do believe SDSU is going to be competing for the MVFC title this season with the rest of the elite teams.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 24th, 2012, 07:54 AM
The Ivy and SWAC are disqualified from my poll. The conferences choose to have a "league of their own" and the performance of their teams are consequently irrelevant to FCS.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Jon I have you guys at 20ish. While I think you guys will be a top 15 teams, I don't think you guys are better than the teams ranked higher, and if you played them head to head I'd put money on them.

However, I hope the other lumberjacks keep up the awesome season.

UNDColorado
September 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Come on, Darell ... you deserve to be ranked right now!

Your easy win this weekend proved to me that North Dakota is a very, very good team. I've been watching the (Sioux?) all season and I must say I'm impressed with you, particularly your offense. Your defense is a bit questionable, but I don't think anybody can keep you from scoring.

My guys are going into Alerus this weekend and I expect a very difficult night. I know they will be prepared, but I don't think their swarming defense will stop your QBs very often. The only question in my mind is whether or not your defense can stop our offense, and if so, how often.

I'm looking for a game with scoring in excess of 90 points. Anyone for 100? It should be fun to watch!

I am very excited for this game, and a bit nervous as well. I would like to see UND ranked this week but if it doesn't happen I won't be mad because this team seems to be playing with a chip on their shoulder because they see and hear what people/media are saying...or not saying.

I am thinking that this game will be our toughest test at home this year, even with Montana on the home schedule I still think that this will be our toughest home game.

The winner of this game should be gracing the top 10 rankings next week. The loser should still be ranked as long as it is a hard fought game.

darell1976
September 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Come on, Darell ... you deserve to be ranked right now!

I am sure they deserve to be ranked I am just not going to get bent out of shape if UND isn't ranked. UND is on the bubble after losing to SDSU (Aztecs) so I can see UND being 25-30, now after beating Sac St on the road I put UND at around 25-27 range. Close but if we aren't ranked no big deal. If we are ranked....cool. Cal Poly IMO top 15 team or close to it.

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I have four in mine:

Poly - Undefeated with a FBS win
SDSU - looking strong, only a FBS loss & pounded Indiana St
EKU - see SDSU explanation & substitute Jax St for Ind St
Tn-Martin - so far so good

dbackjon
September 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Jon I have you guys at 20ish. While I think you guys will be a top 15 teams, I don't think you guys are better than the teams ranked higher, and if you played them head to head I'd put money on them.

However, I hope the other lumberjacks keep up the awesome season.

Here's to an all-Lumberjack NC game ;)

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2012, 09:28 AM

thanks... I knew it had been a while with some close calls

LakesBison
September 24th, 2012, 11:13 AM

HA HA

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I do believe SDSU is going to be competing for the MVFC title this season with the rest of the elite teams.

I think thats a strech, but they shouldn't have much trouble getting to 7DI wins.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
HA HA

Who else...in the entire history of AGS...would think to change the quoted person to "???", because in their mind that would be an worthwhile insult?

You are really special.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I think thats a strech, but they shouldn't have much trouble getting to 7DI wins.

They've beaten IND St, who should be a decent in the MVFC this season.

Which MVFC team has NDSU beaten yet? Just sayin

LakesBison
September 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
ndsu will beat every mvfc team

Jacked_Rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM

3 weeks from today, SDSU should be sitting at 5-1, 3-0 with 5 D1 wins and probably ranked between #15-20, although anything can happen. (We have MO St., BYE, WIU during that stretch - all at home)

After than, however, things get much tougher! We'll need to win 2 of the following 5 MVFC games: @UNI, vs.YSU, @SIU, @NDSU, vs.USD. Not trying to look to far ahead here, but our 7th win could ultimately come down to playing our old rival USD at home. I'm sure they'd like nothing more than to keep us out of the playoffs, but I honestly don't see them beating us at Coughlin. Assuming we beat USD, our best chances of the 7th win are at SIU or at home vs YSU on Hobo Day (both will be extremely tough games).

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Indiana State is currently NOT a decent team.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM

2 blowout wins against lesser opponents and a close loss to a Big 10 school. I'd say that qualifies as "decent", but I guess that description is somewhat subjective. With such a small sample-size, you're right, it is difficult to say at this point.

That said, I think we will find out very quickly (next week at SIU) that they are a solid football team. Any team with Shakir Bell at RB is automatically "decent". He is the type of guy that can carry an entire team on his back.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM

They'll be decent in the MVFC this season.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM
2 blowout wins against lesser opponents and a close loss to a Big 10 school. I'd say that qualifies as "decent", but I guess that description is somewhat subjective. With such a small sample-size, you're right, it is difficult to say at this point.

That said, I think we will find out very quickly (next week at SIU) that they are a solid football team. Any team with Shakir Bell at RB is automatically "decent". He is the type of guy that can carry an entire team on his back.

Good synopsis. Yeah that's a tough stretch. I would love nothing more than for NDSU to end the season this year playing UND in the Fargodome. What a game that would be, especially if UND does as well as I think they're going to end up doing in the Big Sky this season.

A guy can dream.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM

How many of those two blowout wins came against DI competition.

Don't worry...I will wait right here....

....or...I can post the bullfeathers right here:

Indiana State 27 - Drake 10. Didn't realize that qualifies as a blowout....over a non-scholly PFL team, albeit one we have played before and can be tough as nails....really tough. Either way...that is the one DI win for Indiana State...and it was not a blowout nor a win over a fantastic opponent.

Indiana State 44 - Quincy 0. Non-DI opponent...do I even need to break this down.

So...Indiana State is currently 1-1 at the FCS level with a win--not a blowout--over Drake and, by your standards, a BLOWOUT LOSS TO SDSU at 24-10.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
They'll be decent in the MVFC this season.

One day, I will be a multi-millionaire w/ a 200k per year spend on my AMEX. Doesn't mean AMEX is sending me a Centurion Card application any time soon.....

Jacked_Rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
How many of those two blowout wins came against DI competition.

Don't worry...I will wait right here....

Rhetorical question - I know, but that's why I said "lesser competition". Only one D1 win thus far, but I can promise you that Indiana State would be one of the Top 2 teams in the Northeast Conference this year. They'll probably finish behind 5 or 6 in the Valley...

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Entitled to an opinion....and maybe they are as good as Monmouth and Albany.

One thing is for certain. Both Monmouth and Albany have a true body of work so far to look at...while ISU is still a game or two away from having that body of work to compare to.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Entitled to an opinion....and maybe they are as good as Monmouth and Albany.

One thing is for certain. Both Monmouth and Albany have a true body of work so far to look at...while ISU is still a game or two away from having that body of work to compare to.

Couldn't agree more. Good talk, Dane, and best of luck the rest of the way.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Good synopsis. Yeah that's a tough stretch. I would love nothing more than for NDSU to end the season this year playing UND in the Fargodome. What a game that would be, especially if UND does as well as I think they're going to end up doing in the Big Sky this season.

A guy can dream.

End the season? You mean end UND's season?

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2012, 12:57 PM
xsmugx

How much would Albany's ranking change if it was the exact same team with the exact same resume but in the CAA this year instead of next?

Just trying to help danefan's cause of getting this into as many threads as possible in the same way the albany "FACTS" got into at least a handful. xthumbsupx

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2012, 01:14 PM
One day, I will be a multi-millionaire w/ a 200k per year spend on my AMEX. Doesn't mean AMEX is sending me a Centurion Card application any time soon.....

You didn't get the application yet? Come on man. Get with the resto f us

JMUNJ08
September 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
What does previous years have to do with anything? That was the reason given why NAU would not beat Montana.

UNLV is not a great team, but they did take 4-0 Minnesota to overtime - the same Minnesota that destroyed UNH, and did finally win a game (Air Force).

UNLV still lost that game and has been an eye sore for a few years now right? I also know UNH without some boneheaded plays early could have made it a game. And I bet there is a reason why a 4-0 Big Ten team is not currently ranked among the elite...

NAU hasn't earned the voters trust yet. Keep winning and they will get there.

LakesBison
September 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Looks like the VOTERS agreed with lakesbison
HA HA

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Ok? I made a claim about how they'd finish in the MVFC this season.

Why are you all over SDSU's nuts? You don't play them this year.

Are you so paranoid about Albany's ranking that you're going to flip out on any team that could potentially steal away UA's spot in the top 25? Is that what it's about? Sheesh.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Regular season, obviously.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM

Looks like the VOTERS agreed with lakesbison

You are special.

Of course you only care about UND being ranked #26 this week. That's your true rivalry and who's truly important in your heart.

SDSU and NAU being ranked #25 and #22 this week means nothing to you.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Oh and by the way, Albany ranked #21 this week. There you go Dane, you can relax now.

Of course, UND, SDSU and NAU are all better teams than Albany - by virtue of scholarships alone.

:D

darell1976
September 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM

Only if its NOT at either the Alerus (2-0) or the Fargodome (4-1), we do quite well against NDSU in those venues. :D

Cleets
September 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Now lets not get too carried away...

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Now lets not get too carried away...

Nope - it's trashed, gone, done, kaput. And from now on, either get NAU in the top 10, or dbackjon is gonna shut this party down completely. ;)

MplsBison
September 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Only if its NOT at either the Alerus (2-0) or the Fargodome (4-1), we do quite well against NDSU in those venues. :D

And every single one of those games set the attendance record at the respective venue that day.

Dane96
September 24th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Ok? I made a claim about how they'd finish in the MVFC this season.

Why are you all over SDSU's nuts? You don't play them this year.

Are you so paranoid about Albany's ranking that you're going to flip out on any team that could potentially steal away UA's spot in the top 25? Is that what it's about? Sheesh.

This has NOTHING to do with Albany. This has everything to do with how people view their polling concepts.