PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Lehigh's Andy Coen up at Lehighsports.com

ngineer
July 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Lehigh's website has a Q&A up on its website at www.lehighsports.com
For those who don't have time for the 'travel' here is the transcript:

Lehighsports.com Q&A with Andy Coen

7/25/2006

With preseason camp set to begin in just a few weeks, head coach Andy Coen took some time out of his busy schedule and sat down with lehighsports.com for an in-depth interview. Coen and the Mountain Hawks open the 2006 season on Saturday, September 2 versus Albany at Goodman Stadium.

How has the transition back to Lehigh gone for you and how have the student-athletes adjusted to your style?

I believe the transition has gone as well as could be expected. Jumping right into the middle of recruiting and putting together a quality staff were the two priorities for the program, and I believe we had a solid recruiting year. I believe our coaching staff is outstanding. The team has adjusted very well to our staff and me. I am excited to coach them and I believe they are truly excited to play for this coaching staff.

What can we expect to see from the players on an Andy Coen coached team?

I want the young men who play for Andy Coen to be excited about playing the greatest game on Earth. They will be well-schooled in the fundamentals of the game and they will learn how to play the game the right way. Football is a very physical game, and regardless of the position, our players will understand that. I also expect them to be emotional and intense.

What is it about Lehigh University that has you so excited to return?

Returning to Lehigh is exciting because I know what this place is about. I believe it is about the people on and around this campus, and the great experience you can have here. As the football coach, I am excited to run out into Goodman Stadium with my team in front of 16,000 loyal fans and do our best to win a championship every year.

What excites you most as you prepare for the 2006 season?

2006 is very exciting to me for the obvious reason that it is my first opportunity to be a head coach. I have been fortunate to have worked for and with many outstanding coaches over the past twenty years. I know I have learned much from these men, but it will be incredibly exciting for me to run out into Goodman on September 2nd as the head coach of Lehigh University.

What are some of the biggest challenges the team will face in the upcoming season?

There are always many challenges in our game, but as we sit here today I believe the biggest challenge our team will face is that we will have many new players being asked to step up and be major performers for us. How quickly some young players handle their new roles will be the biggest challenge.

What aspects of coaching bring you the most enjoyment?

I love the game of football. I love the physical aspect of the game – it’s what really equalizes the game, why there are so many upsets in our game – because of the physical nature of our sport. Emotion allows less talented teams the opportunity to win each week. I also love the strategic part of our game. Mostly, however, I like working and developing relationships with the men I coach. As coaches, we ask a lot of our players. They put their trust in us, and we in them. To develop relationships this way is very rewarding.

How would you describe your coaching style?

My coaching style is very aggressive. I will be open and honest with every player. I will let them know when they are doing something wrong, but I’ll be right there to tell them they did a great job. Our players will definitely know I’m on the practice field every day.

What would you like the student-athlete to take away from the Lehigh football experience?

I want every student athlete in our program to walk away with a degree from Lehigh, but I also want them to look back on their playing experience as the greatest time of their lives.

What are you looking for in a Lehigh football recruit?
Our program wants to recruits student-athletes who are committed to being the best they can be. Aside from the obvious physical talents, we want to recruit student-athletes who are leaders and competitors. We want the guys who are the first ones to the locker rooms and the last ones to leave.

Describe Lehigh's winning tradition.

I am fortunate to have already been part of Lehigh’s winning tradition. It is another aspect of Lehigh which I believe should be very important to the young men we recruit. Get a great education and win championships – what else could you ask for? People that follow Lehigh football expect good teams. They expect good teams because they have seen them, and we expect to keep showing them.

When you were hired, you said "Tradition never graduates." What do you mean by that?

To me, “Tradition never graduates” means that there is an expectation within this football program. Great players may have come and gone from this campus, but we still plan on winning championships. Tradition is something that is built over time; it is our role to build upon it further, not to step back and look at it.

Describe the educational opportunities at Lehigh.
I believe Lehigh offers tremendous educational opportunities to our students. We are a nationally ranked comprehensive university with three undergraduate schools – the only university in the Patriot League that offers Arts and Sciences, an accredited business school, and a school of engineering, not to mention a great school of education. Add to these offerings the great people on this campus who will help make the educational experience an intimate one, and I believe we have a combination that is tough to beat.

Talk about the University's commitment to excellence in both academics and athletics.
Lehigh shows its commitment to excellence by the people at the university. I have not come in touch with one member of the campus community who does not love and believe in Lehigh. To me, this speaks volumes for the commitment of the university to its students. Our facilities are top notch, and our academic resources are on par with larger state funded major research universities.

What makes game day special at Goodman Stadium?

There is not a better game day venue in the country on the I-AA level than Goodman Stadium. Whether you are a die-hard fan or just want to enjoy a nice day outside with the family, the Goodman Stage is awesome. Over the past 12 years, I believe I have been in every Patriot League and Ivy League stadium, and none come close when you consider the entire experience.

copyright Lehigh University 2006

LUHawker
July 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I know its only an interview, but I already like how Coen answers questions much better than how Pete Lembo did. You can really feel the excitement in his responses unlike Pete who always gave the bland corporate response. Who knows if Andy will be the next great white hope, but at least he will be more exciteable and engaging than old Pete. Looking forward to this and many years with Andy at the helm of LU.

DFW HOYA
July 27th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I know its only an interview, but I already like how Coen answers questions much better than how Pete Lembo did. You can really feel the excitement in his responses unlike Pete who always gave the bland corporate response.

Lehigh fans never warmed to the fact that Lembo is essentially a low key personality, and there's nothing wrong with that. He got it done on the field.

Enthusiasm only goes so far. I hope Lehigh fans will put this into perspective if they're staring up the schedule ladder at some point.

ngineer
July 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM
LUHawker is right, though, about the personality. Pete came across as a studious accountant all the time. But it was him. When he tried to be 'intense' it didn't seem natural and did not translate well. With Andy, the intensity is natural--plus there may be a 'generational' thing. One of Pete's hurdles was his youth. Sometimes it helps for there to be more of an age gap between players and coaches--from a crediblity and disciplinary standpoint.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
We'll learn this season if "intensity" was all that was needed to win more football games. Just because you give a good interview doesn't mean you can coach.

Lehigh74
July 27th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Lembo was a good recruiter and organizer, but he was not a good motivator or game day coach. Coen has a chance to be all four. However, he has to prove it on the field.

LUHawker
July 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
We'll learn this season if "intensity" was all that was needed to win more football games. Just because you give a good interview doesn't mean you can coach.

Of course, but Andy's selection as HC seems to be a much more in-depth one made than when Sterrett elevated Lembo and so I think we Lehigh fans have a lot to be excited about. No one is saying Lehigh is suddenly going to dominate, but I think most of us feel better about who is heading up the program than we have in quite a while.