PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry Question

813Jag
September 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
I know the board is buzzing with the season being 3 weeks old, but some rivalry games are approaching. Southern has one with Jackson State this Saturday. What I want to know is WHY you dislike your rival (was it a particular game, coach, or player? General Dislike?) Let's hear it:

Apphole
September 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Georgia Southern because they brag about a bunch of cheaply acquired national championships. Novelty offense and what not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dzxef1muoQ

McNeese72
September 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
USL, ULL, or whatever the hell they call themselves. Because they think they are too big time to play us regularly anymore. We finally played them after 21 years in 2007 and, after the results of that game, it will probably be another 21 years before they schedule us again. :)

Doc

BisonFan02
September 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
xpopcornx

813Jag
September 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM
I don't dislike Grambling as much I say I do on these boards. I HATE Jackson St, stemming back to when I was a little 813jag, watching my team go to Jackson every other year and not score. The fact that people trash talked an 8 year old only intensified my hate. :lol:

Silenoz
September 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Well I explained MSU on CS, so I'll go with Idaho here...

1) Their obsession with Boise State and the resulting inferiority/superiority complex is pathetic
2) The way they look down their noses at the likes of EWU, or MSU, or UM is laughable, since they're like 0-6 against those teams in the last ten years
3) Northern Idaho, enough said
4) Most of their message board denizens would be in favor of dropping football before suffering the indignity of FCS football. The pride of losing by 70 to USC is too appealing to pass up

Screamin_Eagle174
September 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Well I explained MSU on CS, so I'll go with Idaho here...

1) Their obsession with Boise State and the resulting inferiority/superiority complex is pathetic
2) The way they look down their noses at the likes of EWU, or MSU, or UM is laughable, since they're like 0-6 against those teams in the last ten years
3) Northern Idaho, enough said
4) Most of their message board denizens would be in favor of dropping football before suffering the indignity of FCS football. The pride of losing by 70 to USC to too much to pass up

I dislike Idaho fans 10x more than eGriz fans, and that's saying something. Even after the beatdown and the other 7 FCS "upsets" at the time over FBS, I had one Idaho fan still refuse to acknowledge the overlap between the top of FCS and bottom of FBS, while going on to say that Idaho would eventually beat the New England Patriots if given enough tries, but that would not make them equals. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM
I know the board is buzzing with the season being 3 weeks old, but some rivalry games are approaching. Southern has one with Jackson State this Saturday. What I want to know is WHY you dislike your rival (was it a particular game, coach, or player? General Dislike?) Let's hear it:

I don't want to get banned...

MTfan4life
September 21st, 2012, 03:58 PM
For me, I grew up in an area full of Bobcat fans and the most annoying thing was how arrogant they were. The Cats did not beat the Griz the first 15 years of my life, but year after year, they bragged like they were fans of the best team in the business. After their win in 2002, talk was abound that they'd win for the next 15 years. I witnessed a Griz-Cat game in Bozeman in 2007 and was laughing most of the time I was there. Whether it was doing the same exact cheer about 30 different times during the game, or when no one was in the stadium for most of the third quarter even though the Cats were ahead at halftime, or the fact they were still talking **** after the game. (41-20 Montana win) Just like an annoying younger sibling that thinks he's the greatest even though 2 out of 5 wins is a major accomplishment in his book.

wapiti
September 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
For me, I grew up in an area full of Bobcat fans and the most annoying thing was how arrogant they were. The Cats did not beat the Griz the first 15 years of my life, but year after year, they bragged like they were fans of the best team in the business. After their win in 2002, talk was abound that they'd win for the next 15 years. I witnessed a Griz-Cat game in Bozeman in 2007 and was laughing most of the time I was there. Whether it was doing the same exact cheer about 30 different times during the game, or when no one was in the stadium for most of the third quarter even though the Cats were ahead at halftime, or the fact they were still talking **** after the game. (41-20 Montana win) Just like an annoying younger sibling that thinks he's the greatest even though 2 out of 5 wins is a major accomplishment in his book.
Exact same issue with Griz fans, but 10x more so.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM

Must be a Montana thing. xcoffeex

xlolx

van
September 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM

Feeling is mutual ...

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 21st, 2012, 04:39 PM

I guess its different when you have a reason to act that way...

KNUTS
September 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM
I have never gotten out of Bozeman unscathed. There have been at least 2 brawls, I got spit on walking out of the stadium by an adult and the last time we were there we were leaving the stadium and 2 kids ran up to our motor home and ripped the ladder off of it. Then all I hear is how horrible Missoula is and how bad our fans are. I was bartending the year the streak was broken and watched as a hole cat fans acted like idiots only to see griz fans shake there hands and tell them to enjoy it. I know we have dickhead fans but it just seems to me that you cant avoid them in Bozeman.

bjtheflamesfan
September 21st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Im sure kdinva could offer some perspective from his end but if I had to put a reason for disliking VMI its their coming in from the SoCon and expecting theyd mop up over Liberty (they have won one twice since they joined...2005-2006).

bobcathpdevil56
September 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM
It may have been the elderly Griz fan who told me he would kick my ###, when I was 14. Then proceeded to puke into his own jacket and pass out with his face in it. Then he got kicked out of the game. That may have been the time I began to dislike gizzlies. Or when they kicked our butts for 15 straight years.

Oh and Bobby "Beavis" Hauck, he was a giant tool.

And Brian Ah Yat??? And Yo and most all the griz.

And Missoula, but for a few good people and some nice bars, that place is the most awful town in MT.

bobcathpdevil56
September 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
And freakin Monte, cant stand that mascot

I may be bitter, or an inferiority complex not sure:)

Go Green
September 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
What I want to know is WHY you dislike your rival :

Because they're Princeton.

The Princeton-Dartmouth game is (as far as I know) the only rivalry game with two trophies at stake for the winner--the Governor's Trophy , and the Sawhorse Dollar. Both have resided in Hanover for the past two years, and I expect that to continue for a while...

bonarae
September 21st, 2012, 07:40 PM
The 1968 edition of The Game (29-29). No one really knows who deserved the win.

CrazyCat
September 21st, 2012, 07:40 PM
rinse repeat

Laker
September 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM

One of the wildest games ever. The ESPN special on that game was fantastic. Just think- today it would not have ended in a tie.

carney2
September 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM
129 years. 147 games. Dreams destroyed. Mountains climbed. Only 10 or so miles between the campuses. Raids, abductions and dastardly deeds. You either participated in or are the direct institutional descendant of full scale riots that spilled into and overwhelmed mere football games. Many of the games achieve legendary status and get their own names: The Catch in the Gloaming, The Big Hurt. It goes with the territory. You are given your first semester freshman schedule and are told that the ChickenSquawks or Pards are the source of all evil. Seemingly everyone you graduated with is asking if you have any extra tickets for THE Game. The Saturday before Thanksgiving is always marked as one of the biggest days of the year on your calendar. You graduate and someone, or a group of someones in your workplace, is from that other place. You move into a new neighborhood and that guy down the street has a brown or maroon flag on his front door. Ylou grab a few brews and go bang on his door. You exchange insults and curse like sailors. Your wives want to break it up. you are friends for life. The trash talking begins in July and grows geometrically until 12 days before Thanksgiving when it reaches unbelievable heights bordering on controlled psychosis.

Other than that, it's just two decent academic institutions engaging in a game of football. No big deal.

WrenFGun
September 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
I don't really hate Maine. I'm generally happy to see them do well. One of the greatest football games I've ever seen was in the middle of a ridiculous snowstorm in Orono when UNH scored a late TD on a Mike Boyle catch to win. One of the best moments I've had as a fan at a venue.

I just hate UMass. I have everything about UMass. I don't like their players, I was pretty much routinely treated terribly in Amherst and I can't count the amount of devastating losses at the hand of the Minutemen, including two in one season.

melloware13
September 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM
Nova: I'd think it goes back to the OT loss two years ago, not much evil in my book though.

JMU: Being spit on when running the stands freshmen year by some JMU fans, though a pouring rain loss on Halloween has always stuck with me. I guess it's a good thing that during the two years that my cousin (JMU student) and my academic careers overlapped, the game wasn't scheduled.

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Because it never takes a Yale man more than 5 minutes to let you know that he went to Yale. It always creeps into the conversation, even with total strangers!xsmugxxsmugxxrolleyesx

Seriously, I don't hate Yale. Never have. Penn, on the other hand, deserves a special circle in hell.xmadxxshakefistx

WeAreNorthDakota
September 21st, 2012, 09:48 PM
I was 2 the last time NDSU won a D2 national title so I spent most of my life knowing nothing but UND victories. My family didn't go to many games but when we did it was always the UND/NDSU game. When NDSU announced the move to D1 I didn't have much of an opinion but I knew that last game in the Alerus was gonna be a pretty big deal. I was there when the Twins forced a 1 game playoff in game 162 a few years ago, I was in the Metrodome when Favre broke the all-time TD record, I've seen a game in the old Yankee Stadium, and I saw the Packers beat the Bears in Lambeau on their way to a Super Bowl title, but to this day my favorite sports memory is when Digger got that 4th down stop and we took the Nickel for good. Since that day I've heard nothing but overwhelming arrogance from Bison fans and I want nothing more as a sports fan than to watch UND beat those cocky sons of bitches on the football field again.

bulldog10jw
September 21st, 2012, 09:49 PM

I know

Grizalltheway
September 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
It may have been the elderly Griz fan who told me he would kick my ###, when I was 14. Then proceeded to puke into his own jacket and pass out with his face in it. Then he got kicked out of the game. That may have been the time I began to dislike gizzlies. Or when they kicked our butts for 15 straight years.

And Missoula, but for a few good people and some nice bars, that place is the most awful town in MT.

Have you been to Browning?

ngineer
September 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM

Agreed. Let's just say there is "a little" history......[understatement of the year]

Grizalltheway
September 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM

Oh, and what exactly did you dislike about Ah Yat and Yo? They snub you on an autograph attempt or something? xlolx

darell1976
September 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
I was 2 the last time NDSU won a D2 national title so I spent most of my life knowing nothing but UND victories. My family didn't go to many games but when we did it was always the UND/NDSU game. When NDSU announced the move to D1 I didn't have much of an opinion but I knew that last game in the Alerus was gonna be a pretty big deal. I was there when the Twins forced a 1 game playoff in game 162 a few years ago, I was in the Metrodome when Favre broke the all-time TD record, I've seen a game in the old Yankee Stadium, and I saw the Packers beat the Bears in Lambeau on their way to a Super Bowl title, but to this day my favorite sports memory is when Digger got that 4th down stop and we took the Nickel for good. Since that day I've heard nothing but overwhelming arrogance from Bison fans and I want nothing more as a sports fan than to watch UND beat those cocky sons of bitches on the football field again.

Nice post!!! I started going to UND games in 1985 and we were at the bottom of the NCC and to make matters worse NDSU would stomp on us like we were nothing but a high school team. 49-0, 62-13 The NDSU streak mounted year after year. 1991 UND came close in Fargo but lost then in 1992 it looked like we had a chance only the last play was picked off near the end zone making the streak 12 years in a row. What is it going to take to finally take the giants down. Then it happened I was on the Bison side of the field in a packed Memorial Stadium in 1993 with my parents thinking this has to be "the year" we break the streak. Some Bison guy (most likely drunk off his ***) was just smacking UND fans around so much he did get booted eventually it was that kind of game back and forth then finally Mike Mooney came up with a strip and UND survived a 22-21 win and fans rushed the field like it was the Super Bowl. Down went the south goal post and Roger Thomas got to raise the Nickel Trophy. I will never forget that day or night as party after party was going on in Grand Forks. We were on cloud 9. To knock off the kings of DII...it was a dream come true.

HailSzczur
September 21st, 2012, 11:33 PM
UDel: I don't really hate the chickens. Any disdain I have for them probably stems from the first time I went to a game down there back in 2000 (I know, showing my age here) when they beat Westbrook and Co. in a shoot out 59-42. I remember leaving the stadium and my dad telling me to take off my Nova hat that way no one bothered us heading back to the car. But honestly all my dealings with Delaware fans have been great, and I love going down there to watch a game. I guess it also helps that in my lifetime we are 11-8 against them, and I can't really remember half the losses.

The two teams I really dislike are JMU and Temple
Temple: Their fans are arrogant as hell. They don't seem to get the fact that they should beat us every year, and that they have more scholarships. Up 35 pts in the 3rd quarter their fans are chanting "f*** you Nova". And they insist on letting us know that Philly is their city, even though we don't pretend to be from the city.

JMU: it all stems from 2008. First the BS call in the regular season in the rain where they got an extra play because the refs forgot to run down the clock on a false start penalty. A hail mary later they win the game. Then in the playoffs they win again on another BS penalty. Plus the coach in the power chair zooming up and down the sidelines always annoyed me

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 22nd, 2012, 12:22 AM
UR: Small, rich private school that left a bitter taste in the mouth of most CAA fans with the way they left the conference in the late 90s. Lots of annoying preppy types wearing designer crap to football games, sipping on Zimas like the UVA kids they try to emulate. Always been a natural rival as JMU used to be smaller and our academics were very similar. As JMU has grown, that has changed, but the away team winning on the other's homecoming for most of the 2000s heated up the rivalry big time. They have band envy and the fact that they wouldn't allow the band back says a lot about their ability to produce fans for their games. Old School JMU fans have a strong disdain for Richmond, new fans not so much.

W&M - never hated them. They are just the anti-JMU. They study, we party. They wear green, we wear purple. Their mascot is a savage (oops no mascot anymore - Thanks you NCAA...), ours is royalty. They play a traditional pro-style game, we have the option spread. W&M is my favorite rival - truly I respect the school and their program and what Jimmy Laycock has done there over the years. There have been some classics over the years, including the 2004 semi-final.

UD - Best out of state rival. Some great games in the early to mid 2000s. The fact that their mascot is a female chicken is an embarrassment to the entire CAA. Currently, I would say JMU and UD are very much peer institutions academically and this makes games with UD fun somehow.

ODU - So glad they are off to CUSA, though I will miss them as a rival for just about all other sports. More from the 80s and 90s for bball, but ODU has always been a good sports school. Their fans think they are the "Flagship" of the CAA, and that mentality is simply annoying much less wrong. Do they think the CAA will just fold without them? Hardly. Was looking forward to building a football rivalry, but I guess that won't be happening.

superman7515
September 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM
UD - Best out of state rival. Some great games in the early to mid 2000s. The fact that their mascot is a female chicken is an embarrassment to the entire CAA. Currently, I would say JMU and UD are very much peer institutions academically and this makes games with UD fun somehow.

Roosters aren't female chickens. You boys in Harrisonburg stick to what you know best, we won't question you about sheep, you don't question us about chickens.

Delaware doesn't really hate anyone, except the old people still have a hard on for Temple. We have manufactured rivalries with Delaware State and Villanova, but for the most part, other than proximity the majority of people don't care. JMU is one people love to hate, but like Dukie said, it's a peer institution with a decent program and coach people like to complain about, so that's probably the closest of those not built by newspapers.

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
GSU: Because they're basically like us, minus everything that makes us awesome. Also because no other SoCon fanbase comes close to passion as us two.

WCU: Because it's funny how they hate us so much.

FU: Because they're an annoying private school

Wofford: See Furman

Elon: See Wofford....wait a minute. They're not a rival.

coover
September 22nd, 2012, 01:40 AM
An interesting thread ...

Interestingly enough, Cal Poly's biggest rival is the University of California Davis. The two schools are playing this weekend for the "Golden Horseshoe" Trophy. Most of their history dates back to Division II, but most recently, both competed together in the now defunct Great Western Football Conference. They are now both members (football only) in the Big Sky Conference.

Why do I hate Davis? I don't. I think it is a great school with great students. Why, then, the rivalry? Some would say it is because the two schools are fairly close in distance. Wrong! Back when the schools were Division II, several other schools were much closer to Poly, but still the rivalry. The rivalry is because the two schools are so much alike!

While UC Davis is a "Doctoral Research" University and Cal Poly is a "Regional Masters and Bachelor degree" offering University, academically, the two schools are very similar, though that wasn't the way the State of California intended. The State's intention was for the brightest students were to go to the University of California and those not quite as bright would attend it's "State" schools. Cal Poly is a "State" school. In fact, it's official name is California Polytechnic State University. But geography reared it's ugly head and because of location, Cal Poly started receiving more applications for admission than any other "State" school. San Luis Obispo is not a large town and the State did not wish to swamp the city with students, so had to limit enrollment. A large number of applications with limited enrollment meant that the school could take only the brightest students. Both UC Davis and Cal Poly accept only the brightest.

The largest University of California Agricultural program is at Davis. The largest State University Agricultural program is at Cal Poly. Cal Poly's Engineering program is among the best in the nation, as is the Engineering program at UC Davis ... and the similarities go on and on and on. It's almost as if the two schools were one, but at different locations.

The Cal Poly - UC Davis rivalry, then, is simply one of "We're better ... No, we're better." But I've been on both campuses and I know the answer. The best school is ... Cal Poly, of course.

Squealofthepig
September 22nd, 2012, 02:29 AM

Oh c'mon. I can name several dozen places in Montana worse than either Missoula or Bozeman, going with either the nouveau riche stereotype or the ultra-hick stereotype. Both fanbases have more than their fair share of total asshats, though.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM

From what your reunions? You are allowed to admit to being located in the LEHIGH Valley and that you know Laugheyette will always be the other school. No problem with that on the board.xnodxxlolx

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 06:35 AM
129 years. 147 games. Dreams destroyed. Mountains climbed. Only 10 or so miles between the campuses. Raids, abductions and dastardly deeds. You either participated in or are the direct institutional descendant of full scale riots that spilled into and overwhelmed mere football games. Many of the games achieve legendary status and get their own names: The Catch in the Gloaming, The Big Hurt. It goes with the territory. You are given your first semester freshman schedule and are told that the ChickenSquawks or Pards are the source of all evil. Seemingly everyone you graduated with is asking if you have any extra tickets for THE Game. The Saturday before Thanksgiving is always marked as one of the biggest days of the year on your calendar. You graduate and someone, or a group of someones in your workplace, is from that other place. You move into a new neighborhood and that guy down the street has a brown or maroon flag on his front door. The trash talking begins in July and grows geometrically until 12 days before Thanksgiving when it reaches unbelievable heights bordering on controlled psychosis.

Other than that, it's just two decent academic institutions engaging in a game of football. No big deal.

Ok now I have to admit. This is it great post!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
Roosters aren't female chickens. You boys in Harrisonburg stick to what you know best, we won't question you about sheep, you don't question us about chickens.

Delaware doesn't really hate anyone, except the old people still have a hardon for Temple. We have manufactured rivalries with Delaware State and Villanova, but for the most part, other than proximity the majority of people don't care. JMU is one people love to hate, but like Dukie said, it's a peer institution with a decent program and coach people like to complain about, so that's probably the closest of those not built by newspapers.

And their kids too, I would love to see this game played again now that Temple has climbed off the mat.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
It's great to hate App State!

At first, it was because they had our number in Boone (still true) and later it was because when our program took a nose dive in 2005, App finally made it to our level (it certainly helped that Armanti Edwards decommitted from GSU when Brian Van Gorder was hired).

What's really annoying is the New App fans who don't remember the aging, small KBS that hosted less than 12,000 on a good day. It appears however that the Hillbillies are returning to their true form of being a perennial underachiever and anticlimactic disappointment to their bandwagon fans.

slostang
September 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
An interesting thread ...

Interestingly enough, Cal Poly's biggest rival is the University of California Davis. The two schools are playing this weekend for the "Golden Horseshoe" Trophy. Most of their history dates back to Division II, but most recently, both competed together in the now defunct Great Western Football Conference. They are now both members (football only) in the Big Sky Conference.

Why do I hate Davis? I don't. I think it is a great school with great students. Why, then, the rivalry? Some would say it is because the two schools are fairly close in distance. Wrong! Back when the schools were Division II, several other schools were much closer to Poly, but still the rivalry. The rivalry is because the two schools are so much alike!

While UC Davis is a "Doctoral Research" University and Cal Poly is a "Regional Masters and Bachelor degree" offering University, academically, the two schools are very similar, though that wasn't the way the State of California intended. The State's intention was for the brightest students were to go to the University of California and those not quite as bright would attend it's "State" schools. Cal Poly is a "State" school. In fact, it's official name is California Polytechnic State University. But geography reared it's ugly head and because of location, Cal Poly started receiving more applications for admission than any other "State" school. San Luis Obispo is not a large town and the State did not wish to swamp the city with students, so had to limit enrollment. A large number of applications with limited enrollment meant that the school could take only the brightest students. Both UC Davis and Cal Poly accept only the brightest.

The largest University of California Agricultural program is at Davis. The largest State University Agricultural program is at Cal Poly. Cal Poly's Engineering program is among the best in the nation, as is the Engineering program at UC Davis ... and the similarities go on and on and on. It's almost as if the two schools were one, but at different locations.

The Cal Poly - UC Davis rivalry, then, is simply one of "We're better ... No, we're better." But I've been on both campuses and I know the answer. The best school is ... Cal Poly, of course.
Well said Coover. I also respect Davis, but there is no other team in football that I hate losing to more than Davis. On the flip side there is no other team I enjoy beating more than Davis. In other sports it would be UC Santa Barbara and I have zero respect for there classless fans and administration.

Go Poly, beat Davis!!!

biobengal
September 22nd, 2012, 08:52 AM
I just hate UMass. I have everything about UMass. I don't like their players, I was pretty much routinely treated terribly in Amherst and I can't count the amount of devastating losses at the hand of the Minutemen, including two in one season.

Absolutely agree.... vile human beings. Their fans were awful last year in Orono when the Black Bears sent them home with loss.

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Our traditional rivals were always Missouri State and Western Illinois, but for the most part they have not made those rivalries very interesting.

More recently it was Southern Illinois, but they also fell off.

NDSU looks like the rival of our future if our programs stay on the same path. They travel well to Cedar Falls and were old conference mates in the NCC.

TheBisonator
September 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Nice post!!! I started going to UND games in 1985 and we were at the bottom of the NCC and to make matters worse NDSU would stomp on us like we were nothing but a high school team. 49-0, 62-13 The NDSU streak mounted year after year. 1991 UND came close in Fargo but lost then in 1992 it looked like we had a chance only the last play was picked off near the end zone making the streak 12 years in a row. What is it going to take to finally take the giants down. Then it happened I was on the Bison side of the field in a packed Memorial Stadium in 1993 with my parents thinking this has to be "the year" we break the streak. Some Bison guy (most likely drunk off his ***) was just smacking UND fans around so much he did get booted eventually it was that kind of game back and forth then finally Mike Mooney came up with a strip and UND survived a 22-21 win and fans rushed the field like it was the Super Bowl. Down went the south goal post and Roger Thomas got to raise the Nickel Trophy. I will never forget that day or night as party after party was going on in Grand Forks. We were on cloud 9. To knock off the kings of DII...it was a dream come true.

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy/e557c64bd1652ef0b96b8ca93e048028b1cd9a57/687474703a2f2f6d656469612e636f6d696376696e652e636f 6d2f75706c6f6164732f342f34383236362f3931343139362d 696d706c6965645f6661636570616c6d5f73757065722e6a70 67/http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/48266/914196-implied_facepalm_super.jpg

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
It's great to hate App State!

At first, it was because they had our number in Boone (still true) and later it was because when our program took a nose dive in 2005, App finally made it to our level (it certainly helped that Armanti Edwards decommitted from GSU when Brian Van Gorder was hired).

What's really annoying is the New App fans who don't remember the aging, small KBS that hosted less than 12,000 on a good day. It appears however that the Hillbillies are returning to their true form of being a perennial underachiever and anticlimactic disappointment to their bandwagon fans.

Bandwagon? No. Fair weather? Yes.

MSUBobcat
September 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Oh c'mon. I can name several dozen places in Montana worse than either Missoula or Bozeman, going with either the nouveau riche stereotype or the ultra-hick stereotype. Both fanbases have more than their fair share of total asshats, though.

Exactly right on both counts. Missoula and Bozeman are great small cities, IMO. And both fanbases, like any school, have fans that you wish you didn't have to claim. Overall, though there is plenty of $h!t talking, I have never been spit on or threatened tailgating at Wa-Griz, and haven't seen such treatment of Griz fans in Bozeman either. Not saying it doesn't happen. Of course it does - hence the comment about fans you wish weren't part of your fanbase.

cpalum
September 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Well said Coover. I also respect Davis, but there is no other team in football that I hate losing to more than Davis. On the flip side there is no other team I enjoy beating more than Davis. In other sports it would be UC Santa Barbara and I have zero respect for there classless fans and administration.

Go Poly, beat Davis!!!

Just echoing the prior two posts.... I love watching Cal Poly beat Davis and seeing them lose but I actually like Davis as a school. What is not to like.... Hell it's a lot like Cal Poly.

The team and school I hate as a rival is UCSB their fans are snooty, entitled brats. Interesting in that I feel that UC v State thing much more strongly in that rivalry. It's almost like because of the similarities between Davis and Poly the Davis students actually realize that Poly is a exceptional school. Since the programs at Santa Barbara are largely very different than Poly, the students because of lack of info just see Poly as a "State School"... The irony is that many who are actually unbiased and better informed would tell you Cal Poly is a better school than UCSB.

Anyway...both of those schools are rivals but I'm completely open to knocking down a few beers with Davis fans....UCSB fans.... not so much.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Bandwagon? No. Fair weather? Yes.

If not "bandwagon", what do you call the 15,000 App St fans who didn't attend games prior to 2006?

CID1990
September 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
If not "bandwagon", what do you call the 15,000 App St fans who didn't attend games prior to 2006?

Approximately 18,000 of those fair weather fans walked out of KBH last weekend at the start of the 3rd quarter. It was an exodus along the proportion of the Jews leaving Egypt.

Apphole
September 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM

A permanent addition to App Nation.

It's been 5 years since a NC and we still lead the nation in fanship.

Now when we're talking about seeing thousands of fans pour out of KBS last weekend, we have an issue. Fair weather indeed (with the exception of 15k die hards). The fan base is spoiled from years and years of FCS dominance.

They may pout and leave early, but they're still here. That is the distinction.

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/a/506.jpg

http://digitalhorizonsonline.org/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/archives&CISOPTR=17&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20football&REC=2&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

http://digitalhorizonsonline.org/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/archives&CISOPTR=9&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20football&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

I can't find a picture in the digital archives of 'Fargo is Right'.

Anyone who is a true bison knows which one I am talking about.

A large version of it hangs in the basement of the library.

frozennorth
September 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
I was at this game, must have been about 7 year old. The only thing I really remember is the goalposts coming down. Too young for the rest of it to really sink in I suppose, I just realized that that was the game the streak ended.

I loathe the smug entitled attitude UND fans have because they have one of the worst law schools and worst med schools in the country.

OldAggieAlum
September 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I have to agree with the rival Cal Poly fans. How can I hate them. I attended UC Davis, but Cal Poly was my second choice. I have great respect for Cal Poly. I love having them as a rival and look forward to the 4th consecutive Davis win this weekend!

Sac State is another story though. It's best that I not get started on them.

bobcathpdevil56
September 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Oh, and what exactly did you dislike about Ah Yat and Yo? They snub you on an autograph attempt or something? xlolx

Nah, Grizalltheway it was just the spankings they continually gave the bobcats, nothing personel

bobcathpdevil56
September 22nd, 2012, 10:50 PM
Have you been to Browning?

Yes. Stopped at the Taco Johns, almost got beat up for laughing at the way the guy talked, bought some booze at the liquor store and headed out. Liked Browning or Lame Deer way more than MISSoula

Pards Rule
September 22nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
I can think of 147 reasons..148 coming soon

Twentysix
September 22nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
I can think of 147 reasons..148 coming soon

:) Our reasons started in 1894, or maybe even 1890 as it transcends football.

(or perhaps it was their reason, as we wooped their asses twice in 1894)

Pards Rule
September 23rd, 2012, 05:56 AM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/a/506.jpg

http://digitalhorizonsonline.org/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/archives&CISOPTR=17&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20football&REC=2&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

http://digitalhorizonsonline.org/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/archives&CISOPTR=9&DMSCALE=100.00000&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=%20football&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

I can't find a picture in the digital archives of 'Fargo is Right'.

Anyone who is a true bison knows which one I am talking about.

A large version of it hangs in the basement of the library.

Hey my friend 26er (sorry bout that Im a Philly fan it comes naturally) - thats a goalpost in the middle? I mean they must have needed some eagle eyed refs to see if a kick was good! And the bottom -is that the creation of the first night game?? Great pics by the way. Go get UNI!

darell1976
September 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
I was at this game, must have been about 7 year old. The only thing I really remember is the goalposts coming down. Too young for the rest of it to really sink in I suppose, I just realized that that was the game the streak ended.

I loathe the smug entitled attitude UND fans have because they have one of the worst law schools and worst med schools in the country.

Compared to NDSU? Oh thats right they don't have one. Boy you love to slam everything associated with UND.