PDA

View Full Version : Patriot vs. Ivy, who has the advantage?

LBPop
September 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
This would have been much more timely last week, but I have thought about it for a few years and decided to put it out there. Each season several Ivy League teams open their seasons vs. Patriot League teams. Last week the PL did fairly well (with the exception of the Hoyas). That means that the Ivy League teams did not have a "live" game to get in synch, but they did have current tape on their Patriot League opponent. Of course the converse is true for the PL teams - no current tape, but experience playing with "live ammo". So who has the advantage? And no fair saying, "The better team". :)

carney2
September 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
PL has the week one advantage because of having played a game or two.

After week one my opinion is that the pendulum swings the other way because the Ivy recruiting advantages kick in. The PL went 3-2 vs. Ivy in week one and stands at least a 50-50 chance in all three games this week - but only because Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Brown and Yale are not involved.

Franks Tanks
September 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
This would have been much more timely last week, but I have thought about it for a few years and decided to put it out there. Each season several Ivy League teams open their seasons vs. Patriot League teams. Last week the PL did fairly well (with the exception of the Hoyas). That means that the Ivy League teams did not have a "live" game to get in synch, but they did have current tape on their Patriot League opponent. Of course the converse is true for the PL teams - no current tape, but experience playing with "live ammo". So who has the advantage? And no fair saying, "The better team". :)

I think the team with a game under it's belt generally has the advantage, but a few caveats.

-If a team is very experienced the extra time off can be helpful as the team has all camp to prepare for the first game and has some film.

-If there is a new coaching staff or new scheme implemeted it can be an advantage. The opponent can have no idea what to expect.

Otherwise I would rather have a real game out of the way and some of the kinks worked out.

RichH2
September 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM
Agree overall that PL has ad for 1st game, which lessens each week thereafter regardless of team quality. This advantage will invrease markedly 2 or 3 yrs from now as schollies Increase in PL. Of course, assuming IL still opening with us.

bonarae
September 21st, 2012, 05:58 PM
That depends ... but PL has the advantage and I include this whenever I do predictions of the first two or three weeks of Ivy League threads each year. The middle-tier Ivy teams pose a problem for me, since I predicted some of their games wrong. xsmhx

ngineer
September 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM
I agree that the PL generally has the upper hand in the Ivies first week. However, depending on the number of returning starters and same coaching staffs would have a big effect. Teams with new coaches and systems are really put behind the 8 ball.

Go Green
September 22nd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Teams with new coaches and systems are really put behind the 8 ball.

Not to mention teams with their second-string QB starting.