PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern copes with player's death

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Thoughts and prayers with the Georgia Southern family. I like how the article does Craft justice by explaining what he did off the field and talks of how Georgia Southern is commemorating him in the media guide. To me, the I-AA level does a better job for those who follow it at learning about how great some of these athletes are in their giving off the field compared to the 'Hollywood' way things are done at I-A...

Georgia Southern copes with player's death
PETE IACOBELLI
Associated Press

GREENVILLE, S.C. - Football always seems to be front and center at Georgia Southern. This year, though, the Eagles' thoughts are filled with memories of their fallen friend, star wideout Teddy Craft.

Craft died earlier this month from injuries suffered in a July Fourth motorcycle crash. And while players prepare for their first season under new coach Brian VanGorder, the tragedy rarely leaves their minds.

"Honestly, it's still a family issue right now," defensive lineman Charrod Taylor said Tuesday. "He was one of our family."

The Eagles have mostly handled their grief individually, center Lance Wayne said. "Honestly, we've never even looked at it from a football perspective," he said. "That hasn't even crossed our minds."

Still, the games go forward, particularly at Georgia Southern. The Eagles have been among the most dominant NCAA Division I-AA programs with six national titles since 1985, the last two in 1999 and 2000.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/15119059.htm