PDA

View Full Version : OVC predictions, preseason all-conf. teams announced

JaxSinfonian
July 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
News out of the OVC Media up in Nashville, now up at the OVC Football Blog (http://ovcfootball.blogspot.com).

Eastern Kentucky is picked to finish first in the league, and the Colenels get six players on the pre-season team, along with six from Eastern Illinois. Full results available over at the blog. (Hey, I've gotta drive traffic there somehow, right?)

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM
News out of the OVC Media up in Nashville, now up at the OVC Football Blog (http://ovcfootball.blogspot.com).

Eastern Kentucky is picked to finish first in the league, and the Colenels get six players on the pre-season team, along with six from Eastern Illinois. Full results available over at the blog. (Hey, I've gotta drive traffic there somehow, right?)

That is very interesting considering EIU only lost a couple of starters, right?

89Hen
July 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
1. Eastern Kentucky (11)
2. Eastern Illinois (7)
3. Jacksonville State
4. Samford
5. Murray State
6. UT-Martin
7. (tie) Tennesse State and Tennessee Tech
8. Southeast Missouri

Will be interesting to see how UT-Martin pans out. New coach who is offensive minded. Their three toughest OVC at home (EKU, EIU and JSU).

BTW Jax, do you have any idea how it is that UT-Martin and Tennessee State don't meet this year? :confused:

JaxSinfonian
July 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Ol' FU, I did find that result a bit interesting. I have loads of respect for EKU, especially with the team they've got coming back this year. But (and I mean the Colonels no disrespect here) I've always thought there's a bit of EKU bias in the OVC and nationally. Whenever it's time to pick anything in the OVC, you'll find EKU at or near the top. Of course, if history is any guide, that's usually a safe bet.

'89 Hen, Tenn. State has a special deal with the conference - they get to play four HBCU classics every year, no matter what. So all the other OVC teams take turns each year leaving them off the schedule. As a result, the champion each year is the team with the fewest losses, not the most wins. I know, I know ... don't get me started.

Maroons
July 25th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I've always thought there's a bit of EKU bias in the OVC and nationally. Whenever it's time to pick anything in the OVC, you'll find EKU at or near the top. Of course, if history is any guide, that's usually a safe bet.

I'm not sure how much of this applies to other sports... but looking at the previous two football seasons, EKU was picked 2nd last year, behind Jax St, I think. At seasons end Eastern finished second. Two years ago, Eastern was narrowly picked in front of eventual conference champ JaxState. The cocks proved they should have been #1 as the defending champs that season, but coming into the year with Guice, everyone felt good about Eastern's chances. I don't think we knew he was nursing a shoulder injury all summer. At any rate, I don't think things have been too unreasonable since JSU joined the conference.

But I do think EKU gets a little extra love because of the tradition and expectation that, as far as I-AA schools go, EKU focuses on football and spares no expense on scholarships, coaches, weights, etc. My :twocents:

chattanoogamocs
July 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Will be interesting to see how UT-Martin pans out. New coach who is offensive minded. Their three toughest OVC at home (EKU, EIU and JSU).

Many Chattanooga fans will be pulling for the Skyhawks since almost half the coaching staff either played and/or coached at Chattanooga (UTM's head coach, offensive coordinator, d-line coach, o-line coach).

So much Chattanooga flavor I have renamed them UC-Martin :)

EKU05
July 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Here's the scoop from EKU's site...

http://www.ekusports.com/article.asp?articleid=79684

That game between EIU and EKU last year was kind of a freakshow. EKU just didn't show up that day. 90% of what EIU got came in the form of unforced errors. That's not to say we were better than they were (they won that title fair and square for sure), but I think we were roughly equal in reality...or at the very least just barely behind them. EKU, always solid defensively, may have the most explosive offense in school history this season.

Plus this year you have to take into account that EIU has to come to Richmond which will not be pleasant with a revenge minded EKU crowd.

EKU05
July 25th, 2006, 06:53 PM
P.S.

You can also see EKU's new helemt in the picture at the link I posted above.

Cocky
July 25th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Craig Agee would start for any team in the OVC, yet he isn't All-Conference?
He will be there at year's end when the true All-Conference teams are announced.

GaSouthern
July 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Am I getting ahead of myself to say Chatty will win it all? LOL

Cocky
July 25th, 2006, 07:42 PM
They would be battling us for 3rd in the preseason poll.

JaxSinfonian
July 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Yes.

ekufbfan
July 26th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I am never that thrilled about a first place pre season pick as it gives opposing teams too much to shoot at. However, I am optimistic about our chances at winning the conference this year and making some noise in the playoffs. We have the home schedule to make things happen and expectations are high in Richmond. There are going to be some disppointed fans if we don't return to the top and finish first come November!
BTW, EKU05, you are too young to know this, but I would not say this is the most explosive offense in EKU history. I think we will be good and maybe as good as some past teams, but to qualify them as the best in history, I not buying that yet!:eyebrow:

GO EASTERN! WHIP western!

Maroons
July 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I am never that thrilled about a first place pre season pick

Agreed.

I am optimistic about our chances at winning the conference this year and making some noise in the playoffs.

Agreed.

There are going to be some disppointed fans if we don't return to the top and finish first come November!

Agreed.

89Hen
July 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM
'89 Hen, Tenn. State has a special deal with the conference - they get to play four HBCU classics every year, no matter what. So all the other OVC teams take turns each year leaving them off the schedule. As a result, the champion each year is the team with the fewest losses, not the most wins. I know, I know ... don't get me started.
:eyebrow: Kick 'em to the curb.

bigbluetiger
July 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM
:eyebrow: Kick 'em to the curb.

Those game support 85-90% of our athletic budget. I would imagine that when OVC games start paying the bills we could eliminate that rule.

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Here I find myself with the same opinion as 89Hen again. I was just about to write that, but you beat me to it.

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Those game support 85-90% of our athletic budget. I would imagine that when OVC games start paying the bills we could eliminate that rule.
That is the fault of YOUR FANS, if they don't support OVC games. I am shocked that the OVC still goes along with that and I would think at some point they would bring this issue to a head. Either you are a member of the conference and you play everybody, or you aren't. The plain fact is that if you have a proper fan base, they will show up for ALL games, whether you are playing Grambling or Cupcake State. No excuses.

89Hen
July 26th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Key word bolded. BTW, I'm not blaming TSU, I'm blaming the OVC. Great deal for you, stupid deal for them IMO.

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Many Chattanooga fans will be pulling for the Skyhawks since almost half the coaching staff either played and/or coached at Chattanooga (UTM's head coach, offensive coordinator, d-line coach, o-line coach).

So much Chattanooga flavor I have renamed them UC-Martin :)
You make me laugh. How about if we just rename the Skyhawks Martin for short? Just like Memphis, or Chattanooga.

89Hen
July 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Here I find myself with the same opinion as 89Hen again.
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find plenty to disagree on this year. :p

Mr. C
July 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find plenty to disagree on this year. :p
Hasn't been that way recently, but I guess you will disagree with me when I pick Delaware to win the A-10.

chattanoogamocs
July 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM
How about if we just rename the Skyhawks Martin for short?

This is probably a bit off topic of the conversation (and your question). But it is interesting to look at the differences between Chattanooga and Martin (in common conversation, I do usually just call it Martin or UTM).

UT-Martin seems to embrace being part of the UT System much more than Chattanooga (and that is an understatement). UTM uses the "official UT Systen logo" as part of their logo and even has orange as one of their colors. They played in our basketball tournament the year before last (Dr Pepper Classic) and their road uniforms are still emblazoned with Tennessee at the top and Martin on the bottom.

http://www.utmsports.com/images/top_logo.gif

:pumpuke:

In the 80's, they briefly tried to push that type of logo at Chattanooga...the results were ugly...it caused a near riot with staff and alums and was quickly dismissed (though you still see an all blue version on some of the directional signs on campus...but they have not been repeated on any new signage).

Like I had said in another post...Chattanooga still very much has a private school tradition/mentality and most rail against anything pushed by Knoxville, it is even in the Mission Statement...

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga has developed an institutional excellence which rests on an unusual blend of the private and public traditions of American education.

I think where UC felt like they were forced into joining the UT System (UT was going to put a school in Chattanooga no matter what and with cheaper prices, would have been very difficult to compete with), Martin probably has embraced it because it gave the former school more prestige.

bigbluetiger
July 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Key word bolded. BTW, I'm not blaming TSU, I'm blaming the OVC. Great deal for you, stupid deal for them IMO.

I agree. We asked and they (OVC) granted. However, I have to ask mystelf why is a team the predicted to finish next to last leading the league in football and baskball attendance? It is my belief that our attendance and winning tradition at the time of entry gave us an upper hand in negoitiating.

EKU05
July 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM
TSU has a good following, but they owe their substatial lead in the OVC football attendance race to school tradition more than to football itself. TSU gets about two games a year that are higher than we at EKU will probably ever go. They also get a game or two every year significantly lower than EKU will ever go.

bigbluetiger
July 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
TSU has a good following, but they owe their substatial lead in the OVC football attendance race to school tradition more than to football itself. TSU gets about two games a year that are higher than we at EKU will probably ever go. They also get a game or two every year significantly lower than EKU will ever go.

The tradition was built on success on the football field. What sustains fans/alumni is that we won in the past and the hope that we will some day win again. There are only a few schools that draw at classics like TSU. For example the Atlanta Classic only TSU/FAMU can draw those numbers in Atlanta and that is based on the winning traditions at both schools. Prime example, Hampton has put together some good years and they have a solid program (one that I envy) however, the don't draw like TSU, FAMU, Grambling, Southern & Jackson State and it's because of the winning tradition.

EKU05
July 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Winning and the fact that you have arguably the best marching band in the country. Also, I haven't looked it up, but isn't Hampton a smaller school? And a name like Tennessee State helps more than people realize.

People come home for homecoming games and the like for many reasons other than caring about the result of the game. Where are all of those winning tradition fans for those games when you have like 4,000 people in the stands? Plus, winning tradition alone can't do it. I'm from EKU, I should know. We're still the all-time winningest program in I-AA history, and we have more playoff appearances than anyone (GSU is now only one behind us). Our attendance isn't embarrasing, but it isn't good either.

SU Jag
July 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
TSU find a home in the MEAC or SWAC! The OVC is good conference with good teams(one of my favorites JSU!) but IMO yall arent a good fit to this conference!

Cocky
July 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
TSU find a home in the MEAC or SWAC! The OVC is good conference with good teams(one of my favorites JSU!) but IMO yall arent a good fit to this conference!

Why?

SU Jag
July 26th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Because of the reasons that have been satated in the past! The OVC isnt exactly a high attendance conference, and once TSU gets out of the month of September their fans loose interest...........except in the days when L.C Cole was the coach! Their attendance dies after they start conference opponents.

SU Jag
July 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
O'yeah I would love to see JSU make a few home-and-home dates with a few SWAC schools.:nod:

EKU05
July 26th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Now wait a minute...The OVC isn't THAT far behind in attendance (there are certainly a few straggers at the bottom that really drag us down). EKU had kind of a strange year last year with all of the big conferences games on the road, and not hosting the WKU game, but we had been averaging over 11K the two years before that (which would put us above average in the SWAC).

Here's the bottom line...TSU is in a good conference that has a lot of teams in their region and, besides that, actually gives them a chance to compete for a national championship. That would seem to be two very good reasons to me (now I know the MEAC participates in the Playoffs, but the SWAC really does not.)

Despite what I think about (somwhat) inflated attendance figures, I love having TSU in the OVC because they bring a different kind of attitude and atmosphere (if you've ever been down there for a game).

bigbluetiger
July 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Because of the reasons that have been satated in the past! The OVC isnt exactly a high attendance conference, and once TSU gets out of the month of September their fans loose interest...........except in the days when L.C Cole was the coach! Their attendance dies after they start conference opponents.

The same was true when LC Cole was the coach and we were the number 1 ranked team in I-AA. Attendance was not that better. The OVC is not all bad just not a great football conference when it comes to attendance, game day atmosphere.

bigbluetiger
July 26th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Despite what I think about (somwhat) inflated attendance figures, I love having TSU in the OVC because they bring a different kind of attitude and atmosphere (if you've ever been down there for a game).

Our numbers are not "somewhat inflated". They are averaged just like every other school that particpates in I-AA.

Cocky
July 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM
O'yeah I would love to see JSU make a few home-and-home dates with a few SWAC schools.:nod:

I've always enjoyed the A&M series. I would love to play AL State, too. Bring on Southern and Grambling anyday it would also be a battle of bands. Two different styles but it would be a great battle at halftime.

Maroons
July 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
(GSU is now only one behind us)
I thought it was Montana, not GSU, that was only one appearance behind us.

EKU05
July 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Our numbers are not "somewhat inflated". They are averaged just like every other school that particpates in I-AA.

Perhaps that was the wrong phrasing...

More inconsitant than normal might be a better way to say it. I know at Eastern, since I've been there (5 seasons) we've only broken 20K once, but we've never gone below 6K. It's just weird to see a school that can put 25K in the seat for homecoming that also has games that are at like 3 or 4K. That's all I meant.

ekufbfan
July 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Two issues with TSU:

1. I agree, you are either in (the OVC) or you are not. It certainly was a win-win situation for TSU when the OVC powers that be agreed to allow TSU to play one less conf opponent each season. Although this should never have been agreed to, :nono: it is now past time to change it. If TSU doesn't agree, h___yeah! Give'em the boot!

2. Personally, with their constant whining about what great attendance they have (for ooc games, I might add) and how awful the rest of OVC is, in addition to reporting that their fans won't support their team against OVC schools, maybe they should move on. I have been to many EKU-TSU games in Nashville, both at TSU's old on campus stadium and to Adelphia(?)/Titan's Stadium and usuaully EKU has as any fans at the game as does TSU. Although I enjoy the trip to Nashville and certainly think their band is great, I can't see that they have brought much else to the table except a lot of complaining. Just my :twocents:

tsutiger
July 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Perhaps that was the wrong phrasing...

More inconsitant than normal might be a better way to say it. I know at Eastern, since I've been there (5 seasons) we've only broken 20K once, but we've never gone below 6K. It's just weird to see a school that can put 25K in the seat for homecoming that also has games that are at like 3 or 4K. That's all I meant.

Nothing weird about it. 2004 4-7, 2005 2-9. EKU had it first losing season since 1964. Everyone loves a winner. Not that I wish this on you, but start losing and watch the crowds get smaller.

If we can put together 3 to 4 seasons of 8 wins or more we would lead the nation in attendance.

ekufbfan
July 26th, 2006, 11:18 PM
EKU had it first losing season since 1964

Huh?:confused: What are you talking about?

EKU is currently riding 28 (years) straight winning seasons.

EKU05
July 26th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I think he meant "if" we ever have that season (and don't count on it in the near future). Now, that's a good point. I've been to away games at TSU twice...2002 and either 2003 or 2004. Neither year was a good one for TSU. TSU's best season since I've been following the OVC was 2001 when they came to Richmond the last week of the season. Both teams were in the top 25 (but EIU had clinched the OVC). The game was touted as "winner to the playoffs." Well, we won, and then got screwed by the committee...but that's an entirely different thread.

The bad thing for TSU is that bad crowds seem even worse than they actually are because of that cavernous NFL stadium. I know a lot of TSU fans want to get back on campus...what's your opinion on that one BBT?

ekufbfan
July 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I think he meant "if" we ever have that season ?

Maybe? But that is clearly NOT what he said. With reference to 1964, it's pretty hard to misinterpret.:eyebrow:

tsutiger
July 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Huh?:confused: What are you talking about?

EKU is currently riding 28 (years) straight winning seasons.

Sorry. didn't proof read. Meant to say first losing season in 2004 since 1964.

Basically you can't compare EKU to TSU right now. We suck. That is why you see crowds late in the season like that. Do you want to sit in the cold and watch a 2-9 team. Not me.

EKU05
July 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I think to see TSUTiger's point all you have to do is look at EKU basketball (and the weather isn't even a factor there). I was really disappointed in the Senior Day crowd for Witt, McLeish, and Hird being under 3,000. I was pretty angry at our fan base that day.

SU Jag
July 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I've always enjoyed the A&M series. I would love to play AL State, too. Bring on Southern and Grambling anyday it would also be a battle of bands. Two different styles but it would be a great battle at halftime.

Ive heard peope talk about the possibility of a JSU/Bama State series before. IT would be a great one in my opinion!

Cocky
July 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Ive heard peope talk about the possibility of a JSU/Bama State series before. IT would be a great one in my opinion!

That would be great. We need a game in the Montgomery market.