PDA

View Full Version : Coaches On The Hotseat

MYTAPPY
July 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Any coaches you see being on the hotseat if they don't meet expectations this season??

Pard4Life
July 25th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Tim Landis at Bucknell

Pards Rule
July 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Agreed. I could see Mike Donnelly there in a few years!

bluehenbillk
July 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Even though football isn't a hue deal there I could see Stowers @ URI feeling some heat, they haven't been good for a while. Everyone else in the A-10/CAA is OK, even though the Andy Talley has been passed by cries are getting louder.

MYTAPPY
July 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I think the the Coaches of the SoCon are safe for while too.

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Jerry Moore..........

gotcha

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I remember this time last season some App. fans were calling for Jerry Moore's exit. Change of heart I suppose. :)

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I remember this time last season some App. fans were calling for Jerry Moore's exit. Change of heart I suppose. :)

The lunatic fringe my friend, not normal fans

MYTAPPY
July 25th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Moore will retire before he gets run out, which will be never. In the future games will be held on Jerry Moore feild at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Jerry Moore feild at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

While that would be a great honor for Jerry, I think its a little dumb when teams do this

GeauxColonels
July 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM
In the Southland, I think that the Louisiana teams' headcoaches are safe this year (maybe the Northwestern St. coach might be feeling some heat). Of course the Texas St. coach is fine, but the Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin coaches could be in for a rough ride in the next year or so.

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM
The lunatic fringe my friend, not normal fans

I agree. But I wouldn't advise posting that on the App board.

AppGuy04
July 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I agree. But I wouldn't advise posting that on the App board.

Which is why I don't post there, its the definition of fanaticism

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM

True. App was unranked as the season got started and ended up winning the Nat Championship. Some App fans predicted Moore having a losing record.
The non-ranking last year is another reason I don't believe this season's #1 ranking...yet.

TheRiver
July 25th, 2006, 10:45 AM
SHSU- COACH NEED TO BUCK UP OR HE IS GONE SOON- I hear that we are losesing players.

MYTAPPY
July 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Of course the Texas St. coach is fine,

As long as he doesn't pull another "take a knee", he should be fine.....xlolx

Go...gate
July 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Landis at Bucknell and Roger Hughes at Princeton

Andy
July 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Bucknell's Landis--eighteen RB recruits in three years!?

MACHIAVELLI
July 25th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Charlie Coe-Alabama St.
Dr. Johnny Thomas-Alcorn St.
Steve Wilson-Texas southern
Pete Richardson-southern
Willie Totten-Miss. Valley

I expect that two of the coaches above will be gone after the 2006 season and another two after the 2007.

Tailbone
July 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM
At 29-11-0 & 2 losses to the Bobcats in 3 years as UM's headcoach, Bobby Hauck needs a deep play-off run & a win over "Cal state - Bozeman"
to prevent the overnight appearance of dozens of "For Sale" signs in his front yard (despite 3 conference co-championships and an NC appearance).

Maybe that doesn't qualify as the "hot seat" from the administration's perspective but I don't think it gets any hotter than that!

GeauxColonels
July 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM
As long as he doesn't pull another "take a knee", he should be fine.....xlolx
True. Of course if he were MY team's coach, I'd hate him by now.:mad: :mad: :mad:

golionsgo
July 25th, 2006, 04:13 PM
In the Southland, I think that the Louisiana teams' headcoaches are safe this year (maybe the Northwestern St. coach might be feeling some heat). Of course the Texas St. coach is fine, but the Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin coaches could be in for a rough ride in the next year or so.

I believe your right about the Louisiana SLC coaches though if McNeese doesn't have a winning season and vie for a playoff berth I'm sure there will be some mighty unhappy campers in Lake Charles.

fuEMO
July 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Moore will retire before he gets run out, which will be never. In the future games will be held on Jerry Moore feild at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

great… I know when that will happen Black Saturday against Furman. :smiley_wi

Cap'n Cat
July 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Denver Johnson @ ILSU

John Heacock @ YSU ('specially if'n he goes 0-6 v UNI

:nod: :nod: :nod:

chrisattsu
July 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM
True. Of course if he were MY team's coach, I'd hate him by now.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, Many of you will remember CB for "the knee". The fact is he has helped awaken the a sleeping dragon in San Marcos. No, I am not talking about Texas State becoming some kind of World-Dominating National Champion, instead, Baliff brought the fans back to Bobcat football. Of course the wins helped, but I after the Texas A&M game last season, there started to be buzz all over campus. There is more buzz now amongst the student body than when I first started here 2 years ago, people are wondering what this year holds for us.

I don't hate him because I think he is going to be the architect for something big at Texas State. Students are starting to remember how much fun going to the game can be.

GeauxColonels
July 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Yes, Many of you will remember CB for "the knee". The fact is he has helped awaken the a sleeping dragon in San Marcos. No, I am not talking about Texas State becoming some kind of World-Dominating National Champion, instead, Baliff brought the fans back to Bobcat football. Of course the wins helped, but I after the Texas A&M game last season, there started to be buzz all over campus. There is more buzz now amongst the student body than when I first started here 2 years ago, people are wondering what this year holds for us.

I don't hate him because I think he is going to be the architect for something big at Texas State. Students are starting to remember how much fun going to the game can be.
I watched that Texas St./Texas A&M game last year....the Bobcats flat out out-played the Aggies. They should have won that game!

catamount man
July 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Kent Briggs is in the last year of his contract. Anything less than 6-5 won't cut it IMO.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
July 25th, 2006, 07:53 PM
At WCU, Briggs knows that his seat is warm. He had a decent season last year and fans want him to win at least 7 games this year to get a new contract. 6-5 will probably do it because he is a good guy following in Bob Waters footsteps but we can do better than 6-5. 2006 will be his 5th season.

Allison at UTC might be feeling his seat a little warm if UTC finishes outside of the top 4 in the SOCON.

catamount man
July 25th, 2006, 08:35 PM
At WCU, Briggs knows that his seat is warm. He had a decent season last year and fans want him to win at least 7 games this year to get a new contract. 6-5 will probably do it because he is a good guy following in Bob Waters footsteps but we can do better than 6-5. 2006 will be his 5th season.

Allison at UTC might be feeling his seat a little warm if UTC finishes outside of the top 4 in the SOCON.

6-5 including a win over App.State will definitely get him an extension! Like you, I am ready for August 31st with a bloody passion. With work, I may not be able to make the entire Chowan game, but some of the game is better than none of the game, especially with the next day off from work. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

DFW HOYA
July 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Landis at Bucknell and Roger Hughes at Princeton

Bucknell has been hit hard by injuries, yet your record at predicting these things has been much better than mine...

I do think the 2005 season bought Hughes some time, though.

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I can't believe some of this stuff. Pete Richardson of Southern on the hot seat? Absolutely NO WAY. Like Jerry Moore at App State, Richardson has earned the right to go out on his terms when he decides to retire. Southern is one year removed from going to the SWAC title game and has beaten Grambling more times than not in recent years under Richardson. I can't see Charlie Coe being in trouble either.

Rodney Allison has made major changes at UTC. This is the best shape the Mocs have been in over 15 years. NO WAY he is on the hot seat.

If Western Carolina has a really bad year (losing record), Kent Briggs might be in trouble, but little chance of that happening, because the Catamounts are very talented. If they lose this year, it will be because of injuries, or something, not coaching.

Most people that I have talked to feel that Tim Landis has overachieved at Bucknell. He is a very well respected coach among his peers (Pete Lembo, for example, was singing Landis' praises today at the SoCon media day). Word I hear is that Bucknell is getting ready to pump some additional resources into football to help level the playing field with the Lehighs, Lafayettes and Colgates. One bad year, record-wise,is no reason for Landis to feel heat. Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't have a clue.

Kill'em
July 26th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I think Brian VanGorder, while not being on the hotseat just yet, is under a microscope. He did replace a head coach with a good record. He has made so many changes, replacing the triple option, getting rid of the school busses, now the uniforms, he will be on a short leash. There are a lot of positive things happening here but it all comes down to the success of the program. I say three years.

chattanoogamocs
July 26th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Rodney Allison is just fine. We all knew he/we were in for a long turn around (you don't turn around nearly 20 years of mediocrity over night :) We also understand that he almost completely dismantled the team 4 years ago and started over from scratch...and in some ways he is still learning how to be a head coach...but he continues to make progress each season.

Brad82
July 26th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Tim Stowers of Rhody I hope.

MACHIAVELLI
July 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I can't believe some of this stuff. Pete Richardson of Southern on the hot seat? Absolutely NO WAY. Like Jerry Moore at App State, Richardson has earned the right to go out on his terms when he decides to retire. Southern is one year removed from going to the SWAC title game and has beaten Grambling more times than not in recent years under Richardson. I can't see Charlie Coe being in trouble either.

Southern has lost/beaten soundly by the ICON two years in a row that game means alot to the southern folks. They've fired many coaches because of that game. That is one of the interview questions for the head coach. They also lost in the last SWAC Championship game they played in. He is in the second year of a three year contract worth at the minimum 200K Anything short of two SWAC Championships and two Bayou Classic wins and people will continue to sing...."what have you done for me lately." Charlie Coe...well let me just say they will be hiring a new AD soon at Alabama St. he will have a one year audition. He will not win the SWAC East. Nothing short of a Championship with wins versus AAMU and TU. But hey it's just my opinion.

GeauxColonels
July 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Southern has lost/beaten soundly by the ICON two years in a row that game means alot to the southern folks. They've fired many coaches because of that game. That is one of the interview questions for the head coach. They also lost in the last SWAC Championship game they played in. He is in the second year of a three year contract worth at the minimum 200K Anything short of two SWAC Championships and two Bayou Classic wins and people will continue to sign...."what have you done for me lately." Charlie Coe...well let me just say they will be hiring a new AD soon at Alabama St. he will have a one year audition. He will not win the SWAC East. Nothing short of a Championship with wins versus AAMU and TU. But hey it's just my opinion.
I have to agree. That game means everything to both sides. Ask a Southern fan how their year went....it starts and ends with what happenned against Grambling and vice versa. Also, they expect to be in the SWAC championship game every year. I can EASILY see the Jaguar Nation getting ansy over a string of losses to Grambling

ngineer
July 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Rodney Allison has made major changes at UTC. This is the best shape the Mocs have been in over 15 years. NO WAY he is on the hot seat.

If Western Carolina has a really bad year (losing record), Kent Briggs might be in trouble, but little chance of that happening, because the Catamounts are very talented. If they lose this year, it will be because of injuries, or something, not coaching.

Most people that I have talked to feel that Tim Landis has overachieved at Bucknell. He is a very well respected coach among his peers (Pete Lembo, for example, was singing Landis' praises today at the SoCon media day). Word I hear is that Bucknell is getting ready to pump some additional resources into football to help level the playing field with the Lehighs, Lafayettes and Colgates. One bad year, record-wise,is no reason for Landis to feel heat. Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't have a clue.

I agree that Landis should not be on a 'hot seat', and I don't think he is. In a situation where football is 'king' the type of year he had last year would cause disgruntlement. However, at Bucknell, football ain't the top dog and hasn't been for awhile. Landis came into a difficult situation with the death of his predecessor and pulled off a .500 season that had a number of close losses--Lafayette blocked field goal game is one that comes to mind. Last year he was inundated with injuries causing him to use players out of their normal positions, and no depth to step into the voids. Should BU give more resources to football, it can be a force, again. It is a top notch academic school, beautiful campus and a good central location that is easy to reach. My guess is that the administration has not designs on pulling the trigger so soon and should give him some time and help.

kats89
July 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I have said it all along on our board and only a few have agreed, but our second year coach Todd Whitten butt has to definitely be feeling the flames. He better show some major improvement over last year. After our 2004 run, he proved nothing last year. He looked in way over his head with some very poor comments regarding the team and coaching decisions. He better turn it up a notch. Our President nor AD will not put up with it after getting a taste of the playoffs. especially semi-finals.

At Tx State, life after Nealy will not be easy and the target is on their backs.

NFLCB2
July 26th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Cosgrove at maine!!!

McNeese75
July 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I have said it all along on our board and only a few have agreed, but our second year coach Todd Whitten butt has to definitely be feeling the flames. He better show some major improvement over last year. After our 2004 run, he proved nothing last year. He looked in way over his head with some very poor comments regarding the team and coaching decisions. He better turn it up a notch. Our President nor AD will not put up with it after getting a taste of the playoffs. especially semi-finals.

At Tx State, life after Nealy will not be easy and the target is on their backs.

I do not think Baliff is anywhere close to being in trouble at Tx State. He has done a great job of bringing that program up the last two years (especially considering the coach he had to follow there). IMO he could have 4-5 mediocre seasons (which I doubt he will) before the heat gets turned up. The Cat fans got a taste of the promised land last year but until they have been there a few years and the fan base develops the hunger and passion a lot of us have for post season he is safe. That school has the potential to become a real powerhouse if they get their stuff together over time. The size of the student body (over 28,000 to less than 9,000 for McNeese), athletic budget, location, etc all lend themselves to a possible move up in classification some day.

MACHIAVELLI
July 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I have to agree. That game means everything to both sides. Ask a Southern fan how their year went....it starts and ends with what happenned against Grambling and vice versa. Also, they expect to be in the SWAC championship game every year. I can EASILY see the Jaguar Nation getting ansy over a string of losses to Grambling

The southern folks are the ones that get carried away with that game. I will tell you the story of that game one day.

GeauxColonels
July 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM
The southern folks are the ones that get carried away with that game. I will tell you the story of that game one day.
Please tell me. I'm not too familiar with the history of the rivalry other than....it happens...it's a HUGE game every year...and fans from each school hate the other school.

Cat79
July 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I do not think Baliff is anywhere close to being in trouble at Tx State. He has done a great job of bringing that program up the last two years (especially considering the coach he had to follow there). IMO he could have 4-5 mediocre seasons (which I doubt he will) before the heat gets turned up. The Cat fans got a taste of the promised land last year but until they have been there a few years and the fan base develops the hunger and passion a lot of us have for post season he is safe. That school has the potential to become a real powerhouse if they get their stuff together over time. The size of the student body (over 28,000 to less than 9,000 for McNeese), athletic budget, location, etc all lend themselves to a possible move up in classification some day.
I agree totally.

Cap'n Cat
July 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I agree totally.

I liked that Texas State stadium.

:nod:

kats89
July 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I didn't say anything about Baliff being in trouble.

Cat79
July 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I liked that Texas State stadium.

:nod:

The tailgate scenery looked good too. :D We have some hot ladies.:hurray:

McNeese75
July 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I didn't say anything about Baliff being in trouble.

Your right, my bad :p (I was led astray by the thread title) , Let just say I was stating my opinion openly instead of responding to your post :smiley_wi