PDA

View Full Version : How good is Monmouth??? NEC talk and more...

MUHAWKS
September 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Just a few observations: Week 1- lose to a top 15 team by a slim margin, with the game within a play or two of being different outcome. This after coming out flat. We dominated lehigh in the 2nd half. Now, it seems to be that Lehigh is not as good as maybe thought but nonetheless, solid.

Week 2- Beat a full scholly (FCS) Rhode Island team 41-6. Utter domination. I mean, it could have been 60-6... Rhode Island is not a very good team, but I imagine most CAA schools wont win by 35 this year against them-- Nova, who is getting votes didnt.

Week 3- Dominated Wagner, who lost to 1-A Florida Atlantic 7-3. Now FAU sucks, but they hung with # 7 Georgia for almost the entire first half saturday and managed to put up 20 pts on them- So FAU scores 20 against Georgia, but 3 against Wagner.. Monmouth beat Wagner 38-17 and Wagner scored 1 TD on a kikc return and another with MU's 2nd team in there. The MU offense again, could have scored 50+ but Coach Callahan goes back with The Wagner program and we basically just ran the ball (for well over 200 yards). I will add that Neal Sterling (#17) our best WR did not even play after the 1st qtr. with a lingering ankle injury.

I am not one for doing end zone dances early-- But please listen when I tell you the MU offense is unreal. I said this before the year that the only we can stop ourselves. Lehigh managed to do it, but I chalk it up to 1st game back for Frazier after torn ACL and coming out flat. But who cares.. The goal is to win the NEC get to the playoffs and see what we can do against a top 10 team.

Albany is clearly the team to beat with Duquesne obviously having a say. but the MU/Albany game in 2 weeks is HUGE. The winner of that game has the inside track to the playoffs and a probably top 25 ranking. Albany played with Youngstown St who beat Pitt handily. Than Pitt handles VA tech who was ranked top 15 i think.. I know it does not work exactly like that, but let's face it-- The TOP NEC teams are as good as many of the top teams in the country.

As for Monmouth- I think the sky is the limit, b/c we will get better each week even more so thana lot of teams b/c of the young guys. This is what we have:

**A 5th yr Sr. QB who can run and pass and keep plays alive. a very solid player.

** an experienced O line that averages over 300 lbs easy.

** Two very capable play-making TE's

** a stable of play -making WR's led by 6-4, 220 lb Neal Sterling

** a stable of RB's led by Julian Hayes and West Virginia transfer KB Asante

** a FG kicker who has range to 50 yards and can make 40-45 yarders with consitency.

** a kickoff guy who can put in in the endzone or force a a return with a high cornered kick..

** nine starters back on defense-- including all 3 LB's

** IMO- The BEST LB and maybe even defensive player in the NEC in # 59 Dan Sullivan. He is borderline un-stoppable. He is 6-2, 235 runs about a 4.35 and plays even faster. He had 3.5 sacks yesterday and about 3 more hurries. Honestly, on a blitz no one can block him-- He is an animal and sure NFL player (only a junior). We just got back Our CB from last yr Phillips and have depth there now as one of our wr's from last yr moved to CB. We have depth on the d line and at LB and are never tired.

** a coaching stff that has been in place now forever. Callahan the DC have been there forever. The OC has 10 years and many of the other assistants have been there for 5+ years.. Not too many NEC teams can say that I bet..

I am biased but what I see is what I see. I have no clue how albany really is, only remember what I saw last yr but I believe they are legit. If MU can beat sacred Heart this week handily (assume so-- even with a few of our guys likely out) this albany game will be the biggest NEC game in some time this early in yr. I really do not think any team in the NEC can hold our offense under 24 pts..And our defense is pretty damn good.. You do the Math. I have respect for all teams, I am not talking smack.. But we are legit good. The stupid prognosticators before the year just didnt get it. We have several NFL guys on this team and leadership from our older guys. I think only Monmouth can beat Monmouth. FAU scores 20 on Georgia. Wagner holds them to 7. MU imposes will on Wagner. Big things this yr!!

mainejeff
September 16th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Albany and Monmouth are great.........the rest of the NEC stinks.

dgreco
September 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM

I disagree, I think Duquesne has a good team again this year.

aceinthehole
September 16th, 2012, 07:35 AM
The NEC is a 3-team race - Albany, Monmouth, and Duquesne.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
You are good enough to lose to Lehigh by 10 points on the road in both teams first game, and lehigh is a "solid" team, so MU is just below solid.xlolx

Actually, you guys have some big time athletes and I think you are a good team, problem is you see to keep forgetting you did actually lose the game as bad as LU played. Beat Albany and the votes might be there.

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 07:47 AM

This.

Right now...I am shocked at how poorly the Dukes looked.

Truly shocked.

danefan
September 16th, 2012, 08:27 AM
You are good enough to lose to Lehigh by 10 points on the road in both teams first game, and lehigh is a "solid" team, so MU is just below solid.xlolx

Actually, you guys have some big time athletes and I think you are a good team, problem is you see to keep forgetting you did actually lose the game as bad as LU played. Beat Albany and the votes might be there.

Lehigh was 3 points better than Monmouth, not 10.

And again...you must have played a horrendous game to just beat an NEC team. It can never be hat the NEC team is actually just really good.

MUHAWKS
September 16th, 2012, 08:56 AM

10 pts.. sure that was the difference, but we all know it was really 3.. The last play was BS-- but whatever, same difference-- yes, Lehigh is solid, which makes Monmouth just about solid. Solid being- top 40 type team in FCS- with possibilities of being top 25. Why do you say lehigh played bad and not that monmouth played bad? Both teams prob played "bad".. Princeton is terrible, so looks like you guys are still playing bad---while we are gettin better.. Its almost as if if an NEC team plays Lehigh tough its b/c Lehigh was bad.. No beef here, it is what it is.. I am just looking forward to MU/Albany..

M Ruler
September 16th, 2012, 09:19 AM
This conversation is geared towards UA and Monmouth as one of these two teams will win the NEC. Sorry Duquesne you struggling early with Dayton (who slipped past a very bad Robert Morris team) and with a horrible Valpo team early doesn't impress many.

Where do I begin?? First, MU I believe is improved. Lets not get carried away with the competition that MU or UA has played. MU lost by 3 IMHO to a decent Lehigh team. They beat the pants off a terrible Rhode Island team and an NEC cellar dweller in Wagner. I dont think much of the FAU game as I believe UA or Monmouth would have won going away. UA has beat an underachieving Colgate team and see my thoughts on Robert Morris above. UA's game with Youngstown State spoke volumes about UA. They are still a player or two away from winning these games outright as they played very well against a team that was a bit overrated IMHO. (I believe the transition to CAA play will be faster than most expect and I believe the same is true for Stony Brook). YSU has a good qb, a great back and a kid named Stubbs that is fantastic. YSU is not great on D and that will be exposed in the coming week.

If UA can hold YSU offense to 31 I think they will do very well in NEC play. In fact I seriously doubt there are many backs in FCS that compare with YSU skill players. I will attach the video of the YSU coach and his thoughts on UA.

UA has another tough test in Maine (Maine will not be as athletic as YSU) this weekend and win or lose when they face Monmouth in week 4 that team will be in slow motion as compared to YSU and Maine. I mean no disrespect to Monmouth.

I believe the MON-UA game will be a good one but it will not be the same as playing Maine or YSU. This very well could be Monmouth's year but I think UA is still the better team only because of the Albany QB and their offense is playing so well. YSU coach stated in a press conference how impressed he was with the UA athletes and the offense they are running. he admitted they were off balance most of the game. And surprise the UA secondary may have arrived.

MU advantage will be that UA may be beat up from back to back killer road trips against superior competition.

The good news is after Albany leaves the NEC this will once again be Monmouth's conference to rule.

Here is looking forward to a good game. If UA beats Maine on Saturday, UA will not lose another game the rest of the year.

downbythebeach
September 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM
This.

Truly shocked.

To be fair they had to play at Valpo
Can you imagine trying to be excited to play at Valpo?
It's like how it used to be at St. Peters

danefan
September 16th, 2012, 10:39 AM
To be fair they had to play at Valpo
Can you imagine trying to be excited to play at Valpo?
It's like how it used to be at St. Peters

Yeah it sucked. I played in those St Peters games. But we also beat them by 60.

downbythebeach
September 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
lol......I figured you probably did

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I think Albany and Monmouth are both good teams. My point is simple, teams trying to get respect, only get it by winning. I look forward to a great game before these two teams. Last year watching Lehigh play Towson, I knew a close loss meant nothing. Only a win gets the respect of the power conferences and that is short lived without more wins.

I was impressed with Monmouth. And no, Lehigh still is not playing well, because they do not have a QB that is consistent. Honestly, I don't know that LU will be real good this year without serious improvement there. That does not take away from my view of those two teams, because I do expect lehigh to compete at a top 10 level.

401ks
September 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Truly shocked.

You ain't the only one.

:o

Original_RMC
September 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
If I had to rank the NEC after 3 games:
#1 - Albany (could win their 1st round playoff game depending on match-up)
#2 - Monmouth (9/29 @ Albany, we will see how good they are)
#3 - Dukes (start slow but come on later)
#4 - SFPA (putting up big points, huge game @ Towson to see how good they really are)
#5 - CCSU (1st of the no-win teams but have played the toughest OOC NEC schedule)
#6 - Wagner (easily could be 2-1)
#7 - SHU (should be 1-1)
#8 - RMU (with or without Sinclair they would still be 0-3, bad offense and not talking about the players out there..need more diversity with it's play calling)
#9 - Bryant (huge disappointment so far, thought this was going to be a big year)