PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State Vs Albany

penguinpower
September 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Well Youngstown State won the game, but it was dirty. Albany had many personal fouls. One (and i say only one) of the face masks by Albany could have paralyzed the YSU RB. There were many, many personal fouls called in this gamet against Albany. In the process of the game YSU was exposed with bad secondary play, namely the the Safety. Albany came out passing and did a good job of it. YSU appeared to be playing in some kind of a funk, but still the Achilles's heel may be the play of the Safety down the road. If they do not get it shored up they will not contend for a NC.

Don't get me wrong, they played well against Pitt, but I was not impressed with the the overall performance. Maybe they were not trying to show much because they played a base defense, but still the safety play was not at top ten FCS performance today. Albany is a good team and they are a force to be reckoned with nothing against them, but YSU should have blown them out if they didn't give up the big pass plays. We'll see against UNI, but I am not sure if YSU is a top ten after watching the game today. Maybe Albany is that good, but the S was late on his reads and was out of position on several plays. YSU won on talent alone. Strictly talent IMOP.

And YSU's QB held on to the ball way way too long on several possessions and a few resulted in sacks. Albany had great coverage in the secondary. First time this year YSU QB was sacked.

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2012, 11:07 PM
A lot of teams made me think today. Sad to say this is the first UNI-YSU game I will not be at since 2005. :(

Dane96
September 15th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Well Youngstown State won the game, but it was dirty. Albany had many personal fouls. One (and i say only one) of the face masks by Albany could have paralyzed the YSU RB. There were many, many personal fouls called in this gamet against Albany. In the process of the game YSU was exposed with bad secondary play, namely the the Safety. Albany came out passing and did a good job of it. YSU appeared to be playing in some kind of a funk, but still the Achilles's heel may be the play of the Safety down the road. If they do not get it shored up they will not contend for a NC.

Don't get me wrong, they played well against Pitt, but I was not impressed with the the overall performance. Maybe they were not trying to show much because they played a base defense, but still the safety play was not at top ten FCS performance today. Albany is a good team and they are a force to be reckoned with nothing against them, but YSU should have blown them out if they didn't give up the big pass plays. We'll see against UNI, but I am not sure if YSU is a top ten after watching the game today. Maybe Albany is that good, but the S was late on his reads and was out of position on several plays. YSU won on talent alone. Strictly talent IMOP.

And YSU's QB held on to the ball way way too long on several possessions and a few resulted in sacks. Albany had great coverage in the secondary. First time this year YSU QB was sacked.

Oh give m an f'n break. There were two bad tackles One was a horsecollar...the other was a facemask. Albany is FAR from a dirty team...and I kinda think your coach would smack you off the head for that comment.

Furthermore, Albany had 4 total penalties for a 28 yards. THERE WAS 1 PERSONAL FOUL.

Both of those tackles happen in games from time to time.

It was a physical battle...period.

And before you go off spouting ****...remember a lot of big time teams that are represented on this board played Albany (Montana, Delaware, Ga. Southern, Maine, UNH, etc.) and none of them would say that the team is dirty...or the staff that coaches them. In fact, it would be the complete opposite.

penguinpower
September 15th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Both teams played dirty. I am not saying just Albany. It was an ugly game. YSU was exposed as having a LTA pass defense. I have high respect for Albany......great team and great coach. There were many "no-calls" as well on both sides. The kids were having issues between themselves. I thought it was ugly. Block in the back, holding. Bad.

Dane96
September 15th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Fair enough. It was a street fight.

And it was a dropped pass away from being much closer than you guys really really really wanted. Drew Smith is usually Mr. Surehands...and that open drop was a game changer b/c he was gone for 6.

This game was a wakeup call for you guys...and another game to show that Albany, in a one-off, can hang with just about anyone

penguinpower
September 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM
They can hang for sure. they are at top15 team IMOP. Forget the scholarships. We would have lost this game last year. Albany has a great coach.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 15th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Albany will be moving up in my poll despite the loss. The Danes are darn good.

penguinpower
September 16th, 2012, 12:07 AM
only saving grace was YSU's OL was giving 4-5 yards per carry.

penguinpower
September 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Only mistake by Albany was the blocked punt.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 16th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I listened to the game online on and off and the YSU announcing crew said nothing about an overly scrappy game. They did offer a ton of respect for the
Danes. The YSU coach was certainly unhappy with the performance. It was probably the right game to have the week before UNI.

danefan
September 16th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Every freaking time we go somewhere and play tough, the same excuses come out.

I'm so sick of hearing..."we were looking ahead" or "we weren't showing much" blah blah blah.

Albany was evenly matched with YSU and went drive for drive just about the whole game.

I don't know whether that means Albany is a Top 25 team or Youngstown isn't, but that game could have easily gone either way yesterday.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Danefan, I hear you. What will change that tune is winning enough big games and making the playoffs. See Towson for example. Albany only keeps getting better, and assuming they are going to be in the CAA with Stony Brook and the rest of us, Albany will have plenty of opportunities in the near future to change the minds of many around the FCS world.

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Just as an FYI, we have won those games over the past 5 years...and HAVE gone to the playoffs playing SBU to the wire in that playoff game, the same SBU team that took SHSU to the wire...and returned the same team that just took Syracuse to the wire.

DF is right...we have a chip...mostly as fans...when we hear people making excuses.

Anyone watching that game knows it was even. Anyone watching that game knows that with about 4min left...Drew Smith dropped a ball when he was WIDE OPEN with no one remotely within the vicinity of he, the football, and the endzone. That score goes in and the Danes are up 28-21. Instead, the game turns and Albany made a huge blocked punt blunder.

The bottom line is...all leagues have stinker teams...all leagues have great teams. I was sick yesterday...and watched a crapload of football that included teams on the bottom end of the Top 25-Top35 (including Norfolk State as an example). I'd put a whole lot of stock in Albany taking those teams down...8 times out of 10.

My personal fear is that the kids are not ready for Maine last week b/c they are head-hanging. If that's the case...Albany gets throttled. If Coach Ford does what he always does--prepare his team well--I expect a seriously insane football game up in Orono b/w two really good teams.

penguinpower
September 16th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Just as an FYI, we have won those games over the past 5 years...and HAVE gone to the playoffs playing SBU to the wire in that playoff game, the same SBU team that took SHSU to the wire...and returned the same team that just took Syracuse to the wire.

DF is right...we have a chip...mostly as fans...when we hear people making excuses.

Anyone watching that game knows it was even. Anyone watching that game knows that with about 4min left...Drew Smith dropped a ball when he was WIDE OPEN with no one remotely within the vicinity of he, the football, and the endzone. That score goes in and the Danes are up 28-21. Instead, the game turns and Albany made a huge blocked punt blunder.

The bottom line is...all leagues have stinker teams...all leagues have great teams. I was sick yesterday...and watched a crapload of football that included teams on the bottom end of the Top 25-Top35 (including Norfolk State as an example). I'd put a whole lot of stock in Albany taking those teams down...8 times out of 10.

My personal fear is that the kids are not ready for Maine last week b/c they are head-hanging. If that's the case...Albany gets throttled. If Coach Ford does what he always does--prepare his team well--I expect a seriously insane football game up in Orono b/w two really good teams.

Albany is a legitimate top 25 IMOP. Very, very well coached. The defensive backfield play was simply the best I have seen in many years.

MTfan4life
September 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM

I understand the chip on your shoulder, but...
Southern Illinois took NDSU to the wire last season, the same NDSU team that won the National Championship by winning every playoff game by more than they beat SIU. So, does that mean SIU was great? Also, which "big" games has Albany won the last five years. A quick look back finds double digit losses in the big non-conference games over the last five seasons. Year by year, Maine by 18 in 2011, SFA by 45 in 2010, UMass by 37 in 2009, Delaware by 31 in 2008, and Montana by 21 in 2007.

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Why don't you go do some more research to get your answers...maybe watch an Albany game...and then ask the boys of the up games on this board what they think of UA.

GoGuinsGo
September 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Here is my assessment from yesterdays game:

1/ Aside from YSU O-Line vs Albany D-Line both teams matched up physically

2/ Albany was extremely prepared. Take it from someone who has been front and center at both of YSU previous games this year. Albany took away a lot of things that worked vs. Pittsburgh. For instance, Andre Stubbs was not a big factor in the game yesterday. He got loose a few times on the edge but Albany was prepared for the sweep and reverse plays to Stubbs. Receivers were covered all day long. If YSU wasn't lucky enough to have a QB like Hess, there could have been some turnovers in the secondary. Luckily RB, Jamaine Cook was getting 4 or 5 just about every play and they were able to run the clock and play keep away.

3/Albany missed a big play that would have put them up. Not denying it. However, you also have to look at the opening drive of the game where YSU, TE, Will Shaw lost control of the ball after about a 25-30 yard gain where the Penguins were marching into score.. After the INT, a couple plays later Albany scores on the flee flicker.. That was huge as well. There was another time were Shaw was wide open and missed a catch on 3rd down that would have kept the drive alive late in the 2nd quarter. Shaw is more often than not sure handed. He is an NFL prospect at the position. He just didn't play well yesterday.

4/ Albany started the game more mentally prepared. The Penguins came out flat and Albany took advantage of it early.

5/ Albany is a very good football team. A lot better then they looked on film. They have some good size and I was impressed with their speed defensively. In a 1 game scenario they can beat just about anyone. That was a great game to play before the Penguins take on UNI.

6/ If the Penguins come out and play like they did yesterday, UNI will win. No questions asked. They have to play better than they did. Not taking anything away from Albany but YSU didn't play its best game but I felt like Albany played just about as good as they could for the majority of the game. I mean the QB was 15-16 in the 1st half!

--Hats off to the Great Danes! Great program and look out for them once they get 20-25 more scholarships in the upcoming years!

M Ruler
September 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Go Guins Go...a perfect analysis. I couldn't of put it any better.

danefan
September 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Go Guins Go...a perfect analysis. I couldn't of put it any better.

+1

A big hats off to our OC too. He called a great game yesterday.

clenz
September 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Every freaking time we go somewhere and play tough, the same excuses come out.

I'm so sick of hearing..."we were looking ahead" or "we weren't showing much" blah blah blah.

Albany was evenly matched with YSU and went drive for drive just about the whole game.

I don't know whether that means Albany is a Top 25 team or Youngstown isn't, but that game could have easily gone either way yesterday.

UNI has beaten YSU 12 straight years and had yet to get anything except a back handed compliment from them....12 straight years. Don't expect much from them that way...most are still one of 3 things: stuck in the tressle days, still in hiding with how bad they've been for most of the lsat decade, or so excited they finally aren't picked bottom half of the conference they can't see post their nose in terms of reality

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

DoubleE
September 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
UNI has beaten YSU 12 straight years and had yet to get anything except a back handed compliment from them....12 straight years. Don't expect much from them that way...most are still one of 3 things: stuck in the tressle days, still in hiding with how bad they've been for most of the lsat decade, or so excited they finally aren't picked bottom half of the conference they can't see post their nose in terms of reality

I cant wait till saturday............

MTfan4life
September 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Why don't you go do some more research to get your answers...maybe watch an Albany game...and then ask the boys of the up games on this board what they think of UA.

Slow your roll. I wasn't dissing Albany. You said Albany has won the big games. I was just asking what those big games were. Maybe you were referring to the conference games? I don't know. That's why I asked.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Lol. He did his own research, do you have something different to offer?

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Clearly he hasn't...

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Clearly he hasn't...

What are the big WINS, I looked back and just don't see them. I agree Albany is a good team and could make some noise, but there is still work to do. Heck, Lehigh has beaten UNI and Towson on the road in the playoffs and still gets little respect. It takes quite a while

clickclack
September 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Delaware and Maine come to mind immediately but as a die-hard UA fan I know it's a process and will take many more wins and performances. It's just annoying to listen to "we didn't try" or "we were looking towards UNI" or "our game plan wasn't there" or "we could have beaten you by 3 touchdowns if we wanted to"...etc.

It's probably more venting then anything else on the part of a few UA fans...it's OK...we'll get there...one good performance at a time...Whatever happened to just saying...UA kids played their *** off, as did our kids and on this Saturday we had enough to pull it out. No, everything needs to be excused and qualified to death.

I was on the YSU board last night...and I actually had a guy tell me that if they wanted to they could have beaten us by a few touchdowns...and that they dominated UA and UA never had a lead in the game...when I pointed out the first drive of the game, he told me that well, they dominated UA in total yards...when I pointed out that YSU out-gained UA by 57 years...he just flat out stated, well we owned you in every way...OK then!

GoGuinsGo
September 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Delaware and Maine come to mind immediately but as a die-hard UA fan I know it's a process and will take many more wins and performances. It's just annoying to listen to "we didn't try" or "we were looking towards UNI" or "our game plan wasn't there" or "we could have beaten you by 3 touchdowns if we wanted to"...etc.

It's probably more venting then anything else on the part of a few UA fans...it's OK...we'll get there...one good performance at a time...Whatever happened to just saying...UA kids played their *** off, as did our kids and on this Saturday we had enough to pull it out. No, everything needs to be excused and qualified to death.

I was on the YSU board last night...and I actually had a guy tell me that if they wanted to they could have beaten us by a few touchdowns...and that they dominated UA and UA never had a lead in the game...when I pointed out the first drive of the game, he told me that well, they dominated UA in total yards...when I pointed out that YSU out-gained UA by 57 years...he just flat out stated, well we owned you in every way...OK then!
To me, that's just uneducated fans thinking they are actually making sense. Anyone with a little football sense knows that Albany could have stole that game.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Clearly he hasn't...

Ok, since you are too lazy:
No big wins in 2012 to date.
No big wins in 2011, losses to Maine and Colgate
2010: you beat Maine 3-0 (they won 4 games all year), lost to SFA by 45
2009: lost to GSU and Mass, you beat Maine 20-16 (they won 4 D-I games and a D-II game in OT xlolx)
2008: lost to Mass, UNH, and Del, beat Hofstra 22-16 in OT (Hofstra won 4 games that year)

I have nothing but respect for Albany and think they have been improving their team and program, but all I see is 3 wins over 4 win teams from 2008-2010 by a combined 13 points.

ValleyChamp
September 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I cant wait till saturday............

Case in point. ^^^

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2012, 01:09 PM
This would be a great game to be at this week......I would skip the Bison/PV game and go but it is too far to drive for a non-Bison game.

I think YSU wins a close one: 34-31

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Huge game for UNI playoff hopes though. Is it on tv or web feed anywhere?

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Would the YSU fans say perhaps this was a case of the players "playing down to the competition"? Maybe they had it in their heads that it was supposed to be an easy win over a team not up to full scholarships?

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Albany will be moving up in my poll despite the loss. The Danes are darn good.

agreed albany up ysu down. Although albany was in the 20's i believe and YSU in the top 5.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM

ESPN3

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM
ESPN3

Is it also on gameplan? Pretty much all of NDSU's games are on ESPN gameplan this year, supposedly.

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ok, since you are too lazy:
No big wins in 2012 to date.
No big wins in 2011, losses to Maine and Colgate
2010: you beat Maine 3-0 (they won 4 games all year), lost to SFA by 45
2009: lost to GSU and Mass, you beat Maine 20-16 (they won 4 D-I games and a D-II game in OT xlolx)
2008: lost to Mass, UNH, and Del, beat Hofstra 22-16 in OT (Hofstra won 4 games that year)

I have nothing but respect for Albany and think they have been improving their team and program, but all I see is 3 wins over 4 win teams from 2008-2010 by a combined 13 points.

Come on...keep digging. And remember...Albany played those games w/ approx 12 scholarships..TOTAL.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Come on...keep digging. And remember...Albany played those games w/ approx 12 scholarships..TOTAL.

Dig for what? I went through the entire schedule.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Dig for what? I went through the entire schedule.

Ya, what big wins?

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM

A UNI team with a 8-3 record, losses at Wisconsin, at Iowa, at Youngstown -- SHOULD be in the playoffs.

clenz
September 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM
An 8-3 UNI team with losses to wisconsin, iowa, and either ndsu likely would be seeded

UNH Fanboi
September 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Why don't you just say what you think the big wins are? The 2006 win against a 5-6 Delaware? He clearly put in the effort to look at their schedule.

Albany has made some great strides, but I would agree that Albany has not had a big win yet.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 04:55 PM
A UNI team with a 8-3 record, losses at Wisconsin, at Iowa, at Youngstown -- SHOULD be in the playoffs.

Only one problem, the one win UNI has right now is a D-II win, if they lose to YSU, they would need to win out to get to 7.... NDSU .... ISU. A very tough road. Just sayin.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
An 8-3 UNI team with losses to wisconsin, iowa, and either ndsu likely would be seeded

With 7 D-I wins, I do not think so.

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Only one problem, the one win UNI has right now is a D-II win, if they lose to YSU, they would need to win out to get to 7.... NDSU .... ISU. A very tough road. Just sayin.

But also why they SHOULD make it in.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
But also why they SHOULD make it in.

Ok, if you want to ignore the reality of getting to 7 wins go ahead, but I will expect that rule to have an impact. No need to convince me why the rule is wrong. It is what it is and I agree that UNI'sschedule is probably the strongest argument against it in a while

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I'm not ignoring it. I said 8-3. How is that not 7 DI wins??

DoubleE
September 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I'm not ignoring it. I said 8-3. How is that not 7 DI wins??

I dont know if 7 D1 wins is enough to get in the playoffs..... hopefully it is but who knows anymore

MplsBison
September 16th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I dont know if 7 D1 wins is enough to get in the playoffs..... hopefully it is but who knows anymore

That was the point I was addressing. Losses at Wisconsin, at Iowa and at Youngstown and wins over NDSU, SDSU, IL St, etc. That SHOULD be in the playoffs.

Twentysix
September 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM
That was the point I was addressing. Losses at Wisconsin, at Iowa and at Youngstown and wins over NDSU, SDSU, IL St, etc. That SHOULD be in the playoffs.

They would be in the playoffs, barring the best field yet. Proclamation of a seed with only 7 DI wins is bedlam, however.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Can't argue that. I did not read your first response that way. Honestly, I doubt they do that, but time will tell.

clenz
September 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM
With 7 D-I wins, I do not think so.
Yes. It would mean UNI would have wins over some combination of Youngstown State, North Dakota State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois....If UNI gets to 7-1 in conference play, that likely means a conference title with 2 of the three losses to BCS teams....1 FCS loss, which would likely be a top 10 FCS school.

Ok, if you want to ignore the reality of getting to 7 wins go ahead, but I will expect that rule to have an impact. No need to convince me why the rule is wrong. It is what it is and I agree that UNI'sschedule is probably the strongest argument against it in a while7 wins isn't a rule...period.

Engineer86
September 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Yes. It would mean UNI would have wins over some combination of Youngstown State, North Dakota State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois....If UNI gets to 7-1 in conference play, that likely means a conference title with 2 of the three losses to BCS teams....1 FCS loss, which would likely be a top 10 FCS school.

I would be interested in seeing how it would play out if this occurred, but I doubt we will.

[/QUOTE] 7 wins isn't a rule...period.[/QUOTE]

As I said, it would be one of the strongest arguments for a 6 win team. It would be interesting to see, but I would not want my team's hopes to be resting on the acceptance of a 6 win team.

WWII
September 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM
RANKED OPPONENT HISTORY
• The Great Danes will play a nationally ranked squad for the 20th time in UAlbany’s FCS history Saturday.
• Youngstown State ranks fifth in the Sports Network Top-25 Poll, receiving four first-place votes.
• The Penguins are also ranked No. 8 in the FCS Coaches Poll.
• The last time UAlbany played a ranked team was in the 2011 FCS Playoffs, facing No. 22 Stony Brook. The Danes fell, 31-28, in heartbreaking fashion.
• UAlbany owns a 4-15 record against ranked foes.
• The last time the Great Danes beat a ranked opponent was Sept. 19, 2009 when they topped #20 Maine, 20-16.
• The last time the Great Danes beat a ranked opponent on the road was Sept. 16, 2006 when they overcame #11 Delaware, 17-10.
• No. 5 Youngstown State will match the third-highest ranked team UAlbany has ever faced, playing No. 1 Montana in 2002, No. 2 Montana in 2007, and No. 5 Massachusetts in 2008.
• The Penguins will be the highest ranked opponent since the Great Danes went to No. 5 Massachusetts on Aug. 30, 2008. Massachusetts won, 28-16.
• The Great Danes have played at least one ranked opponent every season since 2002.

penguinpower
September 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM

That is the new village idiot on our board. Please disregard.

Dane96
September 16th, 2012, 11:51 PM
RANKED OPPONENT HISTORY
• The Great Danes will play a nationally ranked squad for the 20th time in UAlbany’s FCS history Saturday.
• Youngstown State ranks fifth in the Sports Network Top-25 Poll, receiving four first-place votes.
• The Penguins are also ranked No. 8 in the FCS Coaches Poll.
• The last time UAlbany played a ranked team was in the 2011 FCS Playoffs, facing No. 22 Stony Brook. The Danes fell, 31-28, in heartbreaking fashion.
• UAlbany owns a 4-15 record against ranked foes.
• The last time the Great Danes beat a ranked opponent was Sept. 19, 2009 when they topped #20 Maine, 20-16.
• The last time the Great Danes beat a ranked opponent on the road was Sept. 16, 2006 when they overcame #11 Delaware, 17-10.
• No. 5 Youngstown State will match the third-highest ranked team UAlbany has ever faced, playing No. 1 Montana in 2002, No. 2 Montana in 2007, and No. 5 Massachusetts in 2008.
• The Penguins will be the highest ranked opponent since the Great Danes went to No. 5 Massachusetts on Aug. 30, 2008. Massachusetts won, 28-16.
• The Great Danes have played at least one ranked opponent every season since 2002.

Thank you.

I was waiting for someone to just post the ****ing press release. It took an Albany fan to do it.

Furthermore...I don't give a hoot if a team finished 5-6. Albany, with less than 18 kids on scholarship took down a DI FCS powerhouse...PERIOD. Or the other wins as well that don't count b/c the team apparently sucked that year.

Lord...it's like the same **** new day thing: "WAH...the NEC doesn't deserve a playoff bid...WAH."

clenz
September 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
FWIW, UNH and Maine likely aren't considered power houses by really many fans at all....Also, If you beat App State but they finish winless that year, is it really something to brag about? Yeah, you beat App State, but they didn't win a game..

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Lehigh was definitely ranked in 2006 when Albany beat them to open the season. That was a decent Hawk squad; 6-5, beat a solid nova team, shared the PL title.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Lehigh was definitely ranked in 2006 when Albany beat them to open the season. That was a decent Hawk squad; 6-5, beat a solid nova team, shared the PL title.

So was Delaware. Ranked #11 actually. Albany beat three ranked teams tht year as CCSU was ranked 23rd.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 05:25 AM
FWIW, UNH and Maine likely aren't considered power houses by really many fans at all....Also, If you beat App State but they finish winless that year, is it really something to brag about? Yeah, you beat App State, but they didn't win a game..

Nothing to do with Albany yet, but UNH and Maine have been consistently ranked and have numerous playoff appearances and wins. UNH is also a perennial Top 15 team. If you don't consider that a powerhouse at this level then you have no clue about FCS football.

UNH Fanboi
September 17th, 2012, 06:23 AM
So was Delaware. Ranked #11 actually. Albany beat three ranked teams tht year as CCSU was ranked 23rd.

Delaware was obviously nowhere near the 11th best team in FCS that year. An early season win against a team does not become a big win if that team was erroneously ranked. Should the playoff selection committee have counted early season wins over Villanova last season as big wins because Villanova was ranked at the time?

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Delaware was obviously nowhere near the 11th best team in FCS that year. An early season win against a team does not become a big win if that team was erroneously ranked. Should the playoff selection committee have counted early season wins over Villanova lasto season as big wins because Villanova was ranked at the time?

Nope. But we're not talking about playoff selection. The point is Albany has played up and played up well. Including a win at #11 Delaware.

The bottom line is this - vote anyway you want, because it really doesn't matter. We can win and make the playoffs.

Ikm just sick of hearing eveyone (including the announcers fro away teams) saying "we played bad" instead of "albany is a darn good team".

Like I said in my first post, Albany was evenly matched against YSU. I don't know what that means.

WWII
September 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Then we'll just have to wait until Albany is in the CAA. All of the "up" games had to be early. They're in the NEC. They were big wins for Albany. Delawre's home record is enough to nake that a big win, in my mind, they son't lose very many home games. I am content with our progress and anxious to make the move next year. Then we'll see where we stand.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Then we'll just have to wait until Albany is in the CAA. All of the "up" games had to be early. They're in the NEC. They were big wins for Albany. Delawre's home record is enough to nake that a big win, in my mind, they son't lose very many home games. I am content with our progress and anxious to make the move next year. Then we'll see where we stand.

I don't disagree. Just venting a little.

I think we will be competitive very quickly in the CAA and people will quickly realize who we are.

UNH Fanboi
September 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Nope. But we're not talking about playoff selection. The point is Albany has played up and played up well. Including a win at #11 Delaware.

The bottom line is this - vote anyway you want, because it really doesn't matter. We can win and make the playoffs.

Ikm just sick of hearing eveyone (including the announcers fro away teams) saying "we played bad" instead of "albany is a darn good team".

Like I said in my first post, Albany was evenly matched against YSU. I don't know what that means.

I've got nothing against Albany and have always spoken highly about them scheduling tough OOC games and playing well despite limited scholarships. But I absolutely hate it when fans of a team mention an obviously erroneous ranking of an opponent. It's just not an intellectually honest argument.

WrenFGun
September 17th, 2012, 07:25 AM
They would be in the playoffs, barring the best field yet. Proclamation of a seed with only 7 DI wins is bedlam, however.

If UNI were to finish 7-4 with losses to two FBS teams, that would probably be the most compelling argument for a 6 DI win team in FCS. That said, I still think it's likely they scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. Having to go 7-1 in the MVFC is a pretty tall task.

Dane96
September 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM

First off...we are real fans, whatever the hell that means.

Second...really...UNH not a power eh. Maine, not from a power conference, eh.

Man...it gets worse and worse on this board with each passing year.

penguinpower
September 17th, 2012, 07:53 AM

I don't think that anyone said Albany played bad, as a matter of fact, I think that everyone has indicated that they are a very good team and a force to be rekoned with. I was particularly impressed with the assignment discipline on both sides of the ball. They could teach a few teams the right way to play the position.

I think that some on this board are saying that teams can play well and match-up well and if you win is it a signature win? Back in 1989-1990 somehwere in there Youngsotown had a signature win over Ga Southern who at th time was dominating the FCS level. I believe that Youngstown just had another signature win over Pitt after having the program be a middle of the pack operation for the last 10 years. Coaching changes were needed and it looks like the Penguins are back as a contender. At the end of the day YSU did what it had to do to win the tight game. The second half Defense was much better than the first half.

Albany is a very good team. They play hard and physical and I have a lot of respect for that.

412Express
September 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Dane96 is very passionate about his team and is clearly clouding his biased judgement. Yes Albany is good, but realistically they shouldn't have beat YSU. If UA played YSU 100 times Albany might win 1. I'm not an Albany hater or fan this is an objective opinion. YSU beat Pitt 31-17, YSU beat Albany 31-24. I'm surprised Dan96 hasn't compared these scores and came to the " ALBANY SCORED MORE POINTS ON YSU SO ALBANY > PITT conclusion. Spare us your cheerleading and get real. Albany is good, probably good enough to win the NEC this year, but they are still a few years (and scholarships) away from competing with real top 25 teams. (not preseason top-25 picks).

M Ruler
September 17th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I think the true issues that Dane 96 and Danefan are referring to is when Albany beats or plays well against "superior" competition, the commentary of the fan base is such that, "the team played while looking ahead" or" these teams were awful that season" etc. Does it matter if a team with 63 full scholarships is bad that season? They still lost to a 12-40 scholarship team.

It does get annoying. We are aware these coaching staffs (who cares about the fan base...they usually don't know all that much) at these programs respect Ford and his staff. They know if they don't play well they can lose.

We know UA is respected and has been the big fish from a small pond for years. We all know Albany is capable of beating these teams from time to time with one hand tied behind their back(lack of scholarships...not literally).

Like the rest of you probably already know, UA and SBU are sleeping giants when they enter the CAA next year. SBU could probably challenge for the CAA title this season and I believe UA would finish in the middle to upper tier of the pack.The transition will be about two seasons I expect for UA to get the player or twothey are missing to win these games outright.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I've got nothing against Albany and have always spoken highly about them scheduling tough OOC games and playing well despite limited scholarships. But I absolutely hate it when fans of a team mention an obviously erroneous ranking of an opponent. It's just not an intellectually honest argument.

So when you look at wins over ranked teams are we supposed to go back and look at the rankings at the end of the year?

Sorry man, a win over a ranked team is a win over a ranked team. I don't care whether it was a down year or not for Delaware. We went to Delaware with very few scholarships and beat them in their house with Joe Flacco under center. I count that as a big win for our program.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I don't think that anyone said Albany played bad, as a matter of fact, I think that everyone has indicated that they are a very good team and a force to be rekoned with. I was particularly impressed with the assignment discipline on both sides of the ball. They could teach a few teams the right way to play the position.

I think that some on this board are saying that teams can play well and match-up well and if you win is it a signature win? Back in 1989-1990 somehwere in there Youngsotown had a signature win over Ga Southern who at th time was dominating the FCS level. I believe that Youngstown just had another signature win over Pitt after having the program be a middle of the pack operation for the last 10 years. Coaching changes were needed and it looks like the Penguins are back as a contender. At the end of the day YSU did what it had to do to win the tight game. The second half Defense was much better than the first half.

Albany is a very good team. They play hard and physical and I have a lot of respect for that.

Sorry - didn't mean to make it sound like I think people are saying Albany is bad. But there is clearly a tone throughout your fanbase (and others), including your TV/Radio announcers, that Albany didn't play well, instead YSU played bad. I'm not directing this towards you. I think you have been fair in your review of Albany.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM
All this chatter and we'll probably end up blowing it at Maine this week!

xlolx

Dane96
September 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
So when you look at wins over ranked teams are we supposed to go back and look at the rankings at the end of the year?

Sorry man, a win over a ranked team is a win over a ranked team. I don't care whether it was a down year or not for Delaware. We went to Delaware with very few scholarships and beat them in their house with Joe Flacco under center. I count that as a big win for our program.

Another way to look at the same point is this:

WE ALL GO BUCKWILD WHEN AN FCS TEAM BEATS AN FBS TEAM, lower tier (e.g. FIU, FAU, Idaho) or high tier bad season (e.g. Pitt vs. YSU).

Why is it a difference w/in our own level if you think about the comparison of scholarship deficiencies?!

I will let y'all simmer and slither on that.

Dane96
September 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM
All this chatter and we'll probably end up blowing it at Maine this week!

xlolx

Yup...my biggest fear.

On performance...we should beat them. I have a feeling we will lose though...yikes. :(

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Scholarships.

Why do you think the exact same thing happens every time an I-AA school plays well against an I-A school?

Dane96
September 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
See post #73.

Bingo.

Wow...Mpl and I agree on something.

However, in this instance we are talking intra-division w/ fans and announcers who should allegedly know of the disparaties b/w the conferences. They don't get a free pass in my eyes to talk down a win or a toughly fought game.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
See post #73.

Bingo.

Wow...Mpl and I agree on something.

However, in this instance we are talking intra-division w/ fans and announcers who should allegedly know of the disparaties b/w the conferences. They don't get a free pass in my eyes to talk down a win or a toughly fought game.

You shouldn't be able to talk down a hard fought loss anyway. I'm just saying that's why it happens.

But I did ask the question of YSU fans - did their players "play down to the competition".

UNH Fanboi
September 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Yes, a big win for your program, but not a big win in the grand scheme of FCS. Go ahead and keep mentioning Delaware's preseason ranking all you want--it does not make them a good team that year. They won 4 D1 games. Yes, you beat a ranked team. No one is disputing that. You did not, however, beat a particularly good team that is worth mentioning 6 years later as a big win.

M Ruler
September 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Time to move on from this.

If we beat Maine, it is because they are terrible.

If we do well in our first year in the CAA it because it will be a down year.

Never gonna win this argument.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM
This Albany team is a well coached hardnosed veteran club coming off a playoff year. They came to Youngstown all business and played well. We'll see them again if YSU makes the playoffs.

I was pleased that the Defense could make adjustments at half. This was something that couldn't be accomplished last year. The special teams was better and the blocked punt (2nd in two week) was a life saver since our offense went into hibernation and gave YSU a short field to score.

Overall this should have served as a wakeup call. Just because you beat Pitt the FCS world isn't rolling over for you. This Albany team is probably one of the better teams we'll play all year until playoff time.

UNH Fanboi
September 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM

No.

If you beat Maine and they end the season 3-8, it's because Maine sucked (and possibly because Albany was good). If you beat Maine and they end the season 8-3, it's because Albany was good. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you.

I was waiting for someone to just post the ****ing press release. It took an Albany fan to do it.

Furthermore...I don't give a hoot if a team finished 5-6. Albany, with less than 18 kids on scholarship took down a DI FCS powerhouse...PERIOD. Or the other wins as well that don't count b/c the team apparently sucked that year.

Lord...it's like the same **** new day thing: "WAH...the NEC doesn't deserve a playoff bid...WAH."

You said big win, not beat a powerhouse while they were down. No one goes around crowing about beating Notre Dame when they sucked. So someone was overrated early in the season and you beat them. Woohoo!

I don't think anyone said anything bad about Albany, in fact I think a few of us said we were impressed by the program. ....and I don't think anyone even mentioned the NEC autobid. Way too sensitive here.

clickclack
September 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM
As an Albany fan...this discussion is tiring...can't wait to get on a level playing field and get after it...we'll see where we are soon enough.

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM

There is a big difference between a big win for Albany and a big win for Albany to the rest of us. The way YSU is playing, a win this past weekend would have been Albany's biggest win to date. They have done a great job of non-conf scheduling and have come out with some good wins. Wins over name programs.

If you beat Maine, the jury may be out. We don't know much about them other than they smoked some bad teams and got smoked by a BCS team. Regardless, it is a good win for Albany.

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 11:46 AM
OK OK.

Albany is really just a glorified DIII team. No need to even think of us in the grand scheme of things in FCS football.

I'll happily take that mentality into the playoffs....xcoffeex

danefan
September 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Sorry to drum this up, but this exactly the point of view that gets so annoying as an Albany fan.

#2 Youngstown State (3-0), 171

Youngstown State struggled with NEC foe Albany on Saturday. However you look at it, this was definitely the Penguins worst performance this year. Kurt Hess was off and the defense couldn't stop Albany's quarterback Will Fiacchi. Albany is a strong team from the NEC, however, Youngstown State should have pulled away in the second half with its' depth. The Penguins are still undefeated, but they will need to have a good week of practice if they want to beat Northern Iowa next weekend.

crusader11
September 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
FWIW, I had Albany checking in at #24 this week and Youngstown State at #2.

WrenFGun
September 17th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Gosh ... would people be suddenly fantastically overrating Albany just because they beat Stony Brook in the playoffs last year and then lost closely to Sam Houston State? There's really no difference between Stony Brook and Albany but somehow Albany is meh competition while Stony Brook is a dark-horse National Championship contender?

Albany is a pretty good football team. I think they'll win the NEC and I think they'd probably contend to win a number of the other second-tier FCS conferences, as well ... Patriot League, OVC, MEAC, etc. I don't think they'll beat Maine next week but I think they'll do fine in the CAA next year and will be a quality program for some time.

UNH basically is the definition of a consistent FCS program for the past decade .. I don't have any problem with the comparison Dane is trying to make, and it wouldn't surprise me if Albany trended in that kind of direction as well. Playoffs are a crapshoot .. you need to get there.

WrenFGun
September 17th, 2012, 12:00 PM
..and boy, how good does that Youngstown win look after Pitt throttled Virginia Tech? Yikes!

clickclack
Sorry to drum this up, but this exactly the point of view that gets so annoying as an Albany fan.

The very definition of back-handed compliment...f'em...just win!

danefan
Gosh ... would people be suddenly fantastically overrating Albany just because they beat Stony Brook in the playoffs last year and then lost closely to Sam Houston State? There's really no difference between Stony Brook and Albany but somehow Albany is meh competition while Stony Brook is a dark-horse National Championship contender?

Albany is a pretty good football team. I think they'll win the NEC and I think they'd probably contend to win a number of the other second-tier FCS conferences, as well ... Patriot League, OVC, MEAC, etc. I don't think they'll beat Maine next week but I think they'll do fine in the CAA next year and will be a quality program for some time.

UNH basically is the definition of a consistent FCS program for the past decade .. I don't have any problem with the comparison Dane is trying to make, and it wouldn't surprise me if Albany trended in that kind of direction as well. Playoffs are a crapshoot .. you need to get there.

Thank you for bringing sanity.

MplsBison
September 17th, 2012, 03:14 PM
..and boy, how good does that Youngstown win look after Pitt throttled Virginia Tech? Yikes!

It'll look great in computer systems, because those aren't smart enough to know any better.

Meanwhile humans get it: each week is a snowflake that can not be compared.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
It'll look great in computer systems, because those aren't smart enough to know any better.

Meanwhile humans get it: each week is a snowflake that can not be compared.

xnodx "Any Given Saturday" xsmileyclapx

Daved
September 17th, 2012, 08:37 PM
xnodx "Any Given Saturday" xsmileyclapxYep--that sums it up perfectly!