PDA

View Full Version : UTC-OVC flirting hangs over SoCon (T-FP)

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 01:22 AM
UC-OVC flirting hangs over SoCon
By Wesley Rucker Staff Writer
Chattanooga Times-Free Press

There’s going to be an elephant in the corner of almost every Greenville, S.C., Hyatt Regency hotel room early this week. No one has talked about it, and no one is scheduled to talk about it.

But the odds of it being mentioned are high.

Southern Conference officials have not put league-membership discussion on the athletic directors’ meeting agenda at the league’s football rouser, which starts today. No league or University of Tennessee at Chattanooga representatives said they wanted to talk about it during the three-day event, but everyone is prepared in case someone else does.

"I would assume that would come up with some people," Mocs football coach Rodney Allison said. "I know the local interest has been pretty heavy. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’m prepared to talk about it."

Everyone has to be prepared, because UTC officials are seriously considering leaving the SoCon for the Ohio Valley Conference.....

Full Article
http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadlines.asp?sec=s&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fepaper%2Ewehco%2Ecom%2FWebChannel %2FShowStory%2Easp%3FPath%3DChatTFPress%2F2006%2F0 7%2F23%26ID%3DAr02903

walliver
July 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
The tone of the article suggest that Chattanooga is leaving. That may just be the reporters slant on things.

What is the general perception among Moc fans?

catamount man
July 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
The SoCon needs Chattanooga and I hope they stay put!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I too would hate to see Chatt go but understand why they would want to.

On the other hand (and it is a good thing I am not in this place) I would doggedly pursue answers. Are you leaving? What would make you stay? Etc. Etc.

It is too important for the SoCon to sit on its hands and my guess is that the Chatt people know what would make them stay and what would make them go. Chatt could say we will stay under this scenario, I could then assess whether that scenario was acheivable and proceed with conference expansion business based on that.

walliver
July 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
If the Mocs leave, it puts a whole new spin on conference expansion. I don't think the SoCOn can make any expansion decisions until Chattanooga decides what to do. Also, the article quotes the Confernce Commisioner as saying that expansion teams are in other conferences. Obviously CCU fits that description, but I wonder if Samford and Jax State are in the mix also (that would be a good reason for the Mocs to stay).

JSU02
July 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Chattanooga is a natural geographic fit for the OVC, where as it is the western most team in the SoCon, and most of the teams in the the Socon expansion table are in the east. Great rivalries are facilitated by easy travel to nearby schools, that's something the OVC offers UTC that the SoCon can't. :twocents:

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
If the Mocs leave, it puts a whole new spin on conference expansion. I don't think the SoCOn can make any expansion decisions until Chattanooga decides what to do. Also, the article quotes the Confernce Commisioner as saying that expansion teams are in other conferences. Obviously CCU fits that description, but I wonder if Samford and Jax State are in the mix also (that would be a good reason for the Mocs to stay).

Yep that is why I would start pressuring to find out. I am not patient

PS I work in the office building part of the Hyatt complex. Should I walk around with a sign that says, Hell NO, Chatt can't go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Chattanooga is a natural geographic fit for the OVC, where as it is the western most team in the SoCon, and most of the teams in the the Socon expansion table are in the east. Great rivalries are facilitated by easy travel to nearby schools, that's something the OVC offers UTC that the SoCon can't. :twocents:

The OVC can offer Football championships also:o xlolx

I was always I nice fan until I started hanging out on this board

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
SoCon would be at 10 teams without Chatty...seven in football...

Question is, does SoCon keep with 11 teams, considering they get to eight in football (probable addition of CCU) or does SoCon go to 12 teams...a non football school or maybe go to nine in football?

App St
Furman
GA Southern
Western Carolina
Wofford
The Citadel
Elon

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
SoCon would be at 10 teams without Chatty...seven in football...

Question is, does SoCon keep with 11 teams, considering they get to eight in football (probable addition of CCU) or does SoCon go to 12 teams...a non football school or maybe go to nine in football?

App St
Furman
GA Southern
Western Carolina
Wofford
The Citadel
Elon

The Commish has already said we are looking at 12 to 14 teams.

We should not go past 9 in football My:twocents:

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
If UC did leave, you would more than likely see the SoCon pick up two to get to 12...both being football schools (to get to 9). I would bet on CCU and VMI.

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
If UC did leave, you would more than likely see the SoCon pick up two to get to 12...both being football schools (to get to 9). I would bet on CCU and VMI.

You really think VMI. That would not bother me at all. but that leaves, Charleston Southern, Liberty and Gardner-Webb and PC upcoming for football for the Big South. :eek:

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
I had heard a couple of different sources (some media, some conference/school officials) that before the OVC thing happened that the conference was looking at 14 total and the top 3 were CCU, UNCW and Samford with VMI being fourth. Now no one said that those schools were necessarily "in", but just that those are the targets of the conference.

So from that above, the rest below is admittedly just conjecture on my part...

If UC went to the OVC they would surely just add two (coming up with 4 would be a stretch)

...there is maybe 1 chance in 100 that Samford would switch (I have always thought that it was a long shot to begin with, but if UC goes, Samford isn't going to leave the OVC), so that is one off the board.

...and at that point, the whole point of expansion (or the main point) was to get football to 9 teams again so there would be a balanced home and away schedule...which would make UNCW less probable (another somewhat longshot to begin with).

That would leave CCU (who we all know wants to jump and seems to be the strongest candidate in the region) and VMI (which has many alums that miss the SoCon...and the Citadel....a lot).

If it happened it would put a severe hurting on the Big South, no doubt.

BTW--just as an aside, I remember back when VMI was playing in its last SoCon basketball tournament (remember when they made the upset run? ...that was eventually ended by Chattanooga in the semis). Well, I sat with the guy who was the athletics representative for the school. He (and many other alums) were furious with the admin for leaving the SoCon and talked about how they would probably be begging to come back in a few years (this was a professor, not an AD). With that in mind, it would not surprise me at all that VMI would seriously consider a jump back.

July 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
... If UC went to the SoCon ...Now I am really confused. Who is UC???? If you are calling UTC a pet name then UTC/UC is already in the SoCon so they cannot go where they already are.

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
I had heard a couple of different sources (some media, some conference/school officials) that before the OVC thing happened that the conference was looking at 14 total and the top 3 were CCU, UNCW and Samford with VMI being fourth. Now no one said that those schools were necessarily "in", but just that those are the targets of the conference.

So from that above, the rest below is admittedly just conjecture on my part...

If UC went to the SoCon they would surely just add two (coming up with 4 would be a stretch)

...there is maybe 1 chance in 100 that Samford would switch (I have always thought that it was a long shot to begin with, but if UC goes, Samford isn't going to leave the OVC), so that is one off the board.

...and at that point, the whole point of expansion (or the main point) was to get football to 9 teams again so there would be a balanced home and away schedule...which would make UNCW less probable (another somewhat longshot to begin with).

That would leave CCU (who we all know wants to jump and seems to be the strongest candidate in the region) and VMI (which has many alums that miss the SoCon...and the Citadel....a lot).

If it happened it would put a severe hurting on the Big South, no doubt.

BTW--just as an aside, I remember back when VMI was playing in its last SoCon basketball tournament (remember when they made the upset run? ...that was eventually ended by Chattanooga in the semis). Well, I sat with the guy who was the athletics representative for the school. He (and many other alums) were furious with the admin for leaving the SoCon and talked about how they would probably be begging to come back in a few years (this was a professor, not an AD). With that in mind, it would not surprise me at all that VMI would seriously consider a jump back.

I never fully understood why VMI left unless it was to rekindle the VA rivalries.

I hate to see Chattanooga go but I still ( if a SoCon official ) would put a little pressure on them for the goods. SoCon has to keep moving

OL FU
July 23rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Now I am really confused. Who is UC???? If you are calling UTC a pet name then UTC/UC is already in the SoCon so they cannot go where they already are.

Gets Chattanooga as far from Knoxville as possible:smiley_wi

I think the rest was a typo

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
nitpick police ...when you type OVC and SoCon over and over for months...coming here, going there, ya da ya da, every once in a while you get them backwards. :)

thanks for pointing it out, now edited.

As for the other....Chattanooga was private school UC for 80+ years before being forced into the colonialism of the UT system, most older alums still call it as such (my dad likes to point out, "I am a UC grad, **** UT"). That is pretty much the attitude of most (the $200 million endowment for the school is still called the UC Foundation). I am currently on an alum committee that is working to have the name officially returned to just "the University of Chattanooga" (just like Memphis dropping the State).

July 23rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
nitpick police...when you type OVC and SoCon over and over for months, every once in a while you get the messed up. :)Thanks for the clarification... I guess... nitpick police? Sorry for asking. xcoffeex

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
it was a joke ralph...which is why there is a little smiley face.

EKU05
July 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
C'mon mocs...you know you want to!

Seriously, I hope this happens. They would be a terrific addition to the OVC.

July 23rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
it was a joke ralph...which is why there is a little smiley face.no harm no foul... no biggie. just asking and don't want to be wrong.

Mr. C
July 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
The idea of UTC leaving for the OVC is just plain mind-boggling. This would be such a stupid move on the part of the Mocs. It would be like taking a step backwards competitively. The idea of having to create new rivalries is pretty lame, too. I can't see folks getting too worked up for Jacksonville State. Tennessee Tech doesn't exactly do it either. Just as the Mocs are starting to become competitive in SoCon football again. As the robot on Lost In Space used to say "Warning, Warning, Danger, Danger." Positively dumb idea.

July 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
it's a money move.

Mr. C
July 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
it's a money move.
A rather short-sighted one that will end up biting the Mocs in the butt.

EKU05
July 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
The OVC is a little behind in football, but based on recent actions that is one of the conferences top priorities. Across the board it is roughly a lateral move, except in basketball where the OVC is slightly better competatively and significantly better in terms of tradition/following. I know this is a football board, but you can't just look at this as a football move because it just plain isn't.

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Maybe if you were looking at only football, yes. But this is not just a question of football.

...and even then do not discount the rivalries we have with schools like Jax State and Tennessee Tech...the best attended home game the last 2 years in Chattanooga have been OVC schools (JSU and TTU). The biggest opposing crowds we have gotten the last three years have been from OVC schools (TTU, JSU, Samford)...partially because the fans already live here.

The biggest crowd in years to travel to an away game for football? Last years trip to JSU.

Very few people in the SoCon come to Chattanooga for games...very few Chattanooga fans go to SoCon schools for games. It is not because the fans (on either side) don't care, it is because we are so far away from the rest of the league.

It is an OVC town. We have very few SoCon alums living in Chattanooga (for example, ASU has less than 200)...contrast that to literally thousands of alums from schools like Tech, TSU, and Austin Peay. I can name you dozens of friends of mine that graduated from OVC schools, but not a single one that went to a SoCon school (ok, that's not true, a high school friend of mine went to Furman, but I have seen him in 20 years because he lives in the Carolinas). Like I said, this is an OVC town.

...I know this is off topic for this board. But basketball is the butter for UC's bread...the best crowd we had in the Roundhouse last year was Austin Peay...and one of the biggest draws for Chattanooga fans (in going to the OVC) is a conference basketball tournament that is only 2 hours away in Nashville, as opposed to constantly hiking nearly 8 hours to Charleston (I know, I make it every year).

All this being said, I could go either way. I personally have no problem with the SoCon, I never have. But, as someone that has 3 family members that are Tech grads, I can also say I also know the pull of joining the OVC.

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
it's a money move.

It is not a money move.

Ralph, did you not read the article you posted on your own blog?

Chancellor Brown clearly stated that a decision would not be made just because of financial savings.

from the Times Free Press article last month...

"One thing I feel very strongly about it that it’s not just a matter of the best financial deal. It’s not just about travel cost. There’s a lot of other things to consider, such as history, tradition and where the fans feel the most committed."

Mr. C
July 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
The history and tradition is that the Mocs have spent around 30 years in the SoCon. Moving now would mean throwing all of that away.

Mr. C
July 23rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
My thought is that UTC wouldn't be even considering this, if ETSU had not dropped football and been basically kicked out of the SoCon.

July 23rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
It is not a money move.
Ralph, did you not read the article you posted on your own blog?
Chancellor Brown clearly stated that a decision would not be made just because of financial savings...Yeah, I read what I post (do you doubt that or did I miss the smiley?). But the lips move and I can't hear what they're saying. No one said that savings would not be a part of the deal.

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
I can agree with you on that one (ETSU getting the boot)...it is also based on the fact that the best candidates for expansion are primarily 7-8 hours or more away and the Mocs (and their fan base) have no real interest in them.

No offense intended to Coastal...but no one in Chattanooga could give two flips...same as with Elon a couple of years ago (and Wofford for that matter...or hell, UNCG).

Now before anyone gets in a tither, I AM NOT impugning those schools or their athletics departments, I think they are good/great schools with committed athletics departments...it is just being on the other side of the Appalachians from any of those schools...the general Moc fan...or resident of Chattanooga just honestly doesn't care nor get excited when we host those schools.

Like I said to someone earlier on another board. Get the SoCon to go after BOTH JSU and Samford (along with CCU...though honestly, if I was selfish, I would say ETSU too! :))and it would be a completely different story.

Sadly, the only two schools we really, really cared about are gone...and all the replacements over the years have nothing in common with Chattanooga...the only one in the last decade to stoke a fire with the Mocfans is Charleston in basketball and that has suffered with being in different divisions.

...and another thing you have to bring into the discussion, no matter how small the odds are right now, is how appealing is the SoCon going to be to Chattanooga if GSU and/or ASU move out of the conference?

I know being on a football board this is heresy to say, but Chattanooga is a basketball school (even when the Mocs were in the their SoCon heyday in the early 80's, the basketball team routinely outdrew them...hell, the capacity of the Roundhouse was almost a 1,000 seats more than Chamberlain Field)...this decision will play more to men's/women's basketball than football. It's reality.

July 23rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
... Chattanooga is a basketball school...I can see clearly now. Carry on.

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I read what I post (do you doubt that or did I miss the smiley?). But the lips move and I can't hear what they're saying. No one said that savings would not be a part of the deal.

I actually I just thought that maybe you forgot the content of the article

...but for you to just make a single, somewhat dismissive, statement saying "it's a money move" is a little bit irresponsible considering the weight your statements have on this board as someone "in the know" when it comes to IAA (and believe it or not, that with meant with respect...your position of influence makes it even more important for you to choose your comments carefully)...to simply say "it's a money move" is incorrect...the comments of the Chancellor in the article posted on your own blog confirm it.

Hell if it were really as simple as "it's a money move", UC would already be gone (because there is no argument, at least here in Chattanooga, that it would save a lot). This is about a lot more than money.

chattanoogamocs
July 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
I can see clearly now. Carry on.

Huh?

Jafus (Thinker)
July 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Interesting!!

July 23rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
...but for you to just make a single, somewhat dismissive, statement saying "it's a money move"...I guess I know what you are saying but knowing the money crunch and that you view UTC as a basketball school... it does seem that money is playing a large part. That's all. No biggie, I love the Mocs and will continue to follow them closely you know. My kids at Chatty this summer:

chattanoogamocs
July 24th, 2006, 12:38 AM
...and to anyone else, please don't let my statements make it look like I don't care about football...I rarely ever miss a home game, I am on the alumni homecoming committee, since I am in the press box, I always volunteer to do fill-in for stats if someone is late or can't make it (spotting, etc), and I try to make road games when they are close by (ahem, Samford, JSU, TTU, etc). I have helped edit the media guide and I photographed the new turf project for the last year's guide (which were used extensively...even on the IAA.org guide to the Championship game)...I am a cheerleader for the IAA NC game (and have done volunteer work for that too). I am IAA hardcore IAA football.

But I love basketball too and the truth is...Chattanooga leads the SoCon in men's basketball attendance...sometimes be a fairly substantial amount (this obviously includes drawing better than non-football SoCon "basketball" schools)...women's basketball drew better than the next four SoCon women's teams combined.

On the other side, sadly (embarassingly), in football, I believe Chattanooga was dead last in the SoCon in attendance. : smh :

Add in the legacy of multiple post-season basketball wins versus a single blowout defeat in the Mocs only NCAA playoff game (37-10 at Ark St in 1984)...you can see why many would consider UC a basketball school.

I have faith in Rodney Allison though...baby steps back to being competitive in football...every year is a little better. This year will be really tough with the schedule (and only 4 home games...2 of which are against schools with a combined 7 national championships :)). But just like Cub fans, Moc fans optimism springs eternal!!!! Scratch that, lets change that to Red Sox fans. Just want to see the Mocs play in an NC game on their home field someday...that's not too much to ask it it???? :thumbsup:

JaxSinfonian
July 24th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I can't see folks getting too worked up for Jacksonville State.

I don't know man, they looked pretty worked up out here back in September. So did the folks from Furman, for that matter.

The idea of having to create new rivalries is pretty lame, too.

JSU and Chattanooga have played 31 times in a series that dates back to 1904, the first year of football for both schools (By the way UTC, that school listed in your media guide as "Alabama Normal" for 1904 is Jax State). Tech? 37 games dating to 1938. Samford? 33 games dating to 1906. That ain't new. Chattanooga's series versus some of their SoCon opponents, by comparison, still have that new rivalry smell. Only Furman and The Citadel compare to the history with those three OVC schools.

July 24th, 2006, 01:01 AM
...Chattanooga leads the SoCon in men's basketball attendance...On the other side, sadly (embarassingly), in football, I believe Chattanooga was dead last in the SoCon in attendance...Well the low attendance for a football game by the Mocs last year was much higher than their best for a basketball game so all is not wrong in the world... :)

chattanoogamocs
July 24th, 2006, 01:18 AM
By the way UTC, that school listed in your media guide as "Alabama Normal" for 1904 is Jax State

Hey, that's cool...thanks for the info on that one (I will pass that on to the SID too...he might want to put an asterisk by it so people will know it is JSU).

I guess "officially" that is the first real game we really played because the first game listed in 1904, "Grant", was the Athens Campus of the University of Chattanooga...yep, back in the day UC had it's own satellite school (it is now Tennessee Wesleyan)

Football at UC goes back even further than that, but 1904 is the earliest they have official records (and could verify that it was all undergrads playing...back further, you would sometimes have teachers play too). In the Tennessee football guide, they have games listed against Chattanooga was far back as like 1894.

JaxSinfonian
July 24th, 2006, 02:03 AM
With all the talk of Chattanooga, attendance and basketball, I got curious. I'm sure ChattanoogaMocs has done this already elsewhere, but here it is for the sake of the current discussion ... from the ever-popular NCAA statistical archive, of course.

While Chattanooga was indeed dead last in SoCon football attendance for 2005, they'd have been middle-of-the-pack with that number in the OVC. They were first in MBB attendance, pretty much head-and-shoulders above the rest of the conference. They'd have been second in the OVC, in a cluster of peers with similar numbers.

Here are the comparisons (I included Austin Peay in the OVC football numbers, though they aren't members again until 2007):

OVC Football
School 2005 avg. att.
Tennessee St. 15,023
Jax State 11,389
E. Kentucky 8,440
SEMO 6,577
E. Illinois 6,182
Tennessee Tech 6,172
Chattanooga 6,123
Samford 5,939
UT-Martin 3,865
Austin Peay 3,664
Murray 3,660

SoCon Football
School 2005 avg. att.
ASU 17,917
GSU 16,241
Citadel 11,674
Furman 11,052
WCU 9,099
Elon 7,382
Wofford 6,674
Chatt. 6,123

OVC Men's Basketball
School 2006 avg. att.
Tennessee St. 4,541
Chattanooga 3,649
Murray 3,588
SEMO 3,550
Austin Peay 3,200
Tennessee Tech 3,033
UT-Martin 2,876
E. Kentucky 2,675
Morehead 2,126
Jax State 1,887
Samford 1,565
E. Illinois 1,558

SoCon Men's Basketball
School 2006 avg. att.
Chattanooga 3,649
Davidson 3,014
UNCG 2,740
Col. Charleston 2,724
Ga. Southern 2,477
Furman 2,050
App. State 2,042
WCU 1,662
Elon 1,484
Wofford 1,189
Citadel 1,182

thirdgendin
July 24th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Like I said to someone earlier on another board. Get the SoCon to go after BOTH JSU and Samford (along with CCU...though honestly, if I was selfish, I would say ETSU too! :))and it would be a completely different story.

I'm with you on the one completely. I don't care if a school is public or private - the conference should go after the best possible schools. Furman and JSU have developed a nice rivalry over the past few years, in addition to the series with Samford that we've already had. I say go for it.

This is the one scenario where I wouldn't mind a 14-team conference, although having so many football teams would be difficult to manage. Divisions?

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I still think it makes sense for Chattanooga to go (and that does not mean I want them to). Geographically it fits. If it is more appropriate for basketball it makes sense. I don't like the "it will actually help the football program" argument because I don't think you help a program by stepping back into a weaker conference.

Now the JSU guys may say we did and it helped, but I guess the question would be did it really help. And if your program became stronger was it because you moved to the OVC or because the school committed the resources to improve the program.

Tealblood
July 24th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Whenever they say it is not about the money it is about the money.

That being said travel costs went up sharply this past year (fuel alone was huge impact) this year no real drop in travel. And while we understand travel for football or mens BBall is relatively small compared to its overall budget travel costs for volleyball and Tennis and other nonrev sports it is sometimes single largest item in budget after Head Coach salary.

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Whenever they say it is not about the money it is about the money.

That being said travel costs went up sharply this past year (fuel alone was huge impact) this year no real drop in travel. And while we understand travel for football or mens BBall is relatively small compared to its overall budget travel costs for volleyball and Tennis and other nonrev sports it is sometimes single largest item in budget after Head Coach salary.

I agree. Money may not be the only issue but it is always an issue:nod:

Tealblood
July 24th, 2006, 07:40 AM
another part of travel nobody talks about is fan travel. If I were UTC or UC to play almost any SOCON team it would take lots of gas and more than likely a hotel night either going or coming depending on whether it was a night or day game. And for BBall a midweek conf. game would be out of the question without a day or day and a half off from work.

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 08:40 AM
The SoCon needs Chattanooga and I hope they stay put!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hey I think I just saw Darius Fudge walking the the Hyatt lobby.

#7 on his jersey. Have I got the right guy

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Are you at the Hyatt?

Eaglegus2
July 24th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I would hate for UT-C to leave the SoCon, but I can completely understand having to travel shorter distances for football games.

Which visiting team from the SoCon brings the most fans to Chattanooga?

I would guess that App State or Georgia Southern. Do you have the attendance handy?

OL FU

Keep us informed what may be the biggest conversation piece at the Rouser.

If you can't go? Send the janitor or your secretary.:nod: :D

Cocky
July 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I still think it makes sense for Chattanooga to go (and that does not mean I want them to). Geographically it fits. If it is more appropriate for basketball it makes sense. I don't like the "it will actually help the football program" argument because I don't think you help a program by stepping back into a weaker conference.

Now the JSU guys may say we did and it helped, but I guess the question would be did it really help. And if your program became stronger was it because you moved to the OVC or because the school committed the resources to improve the program.

With our move, I would say the conference makes no difference. Our team is better, but the lack of travel also made our team better. Those long trips takes a lot out of the team. If UC comes to the OVC it will only put more pressure on everyone to keep improving. Samford and us have made the other conference members put more commitment into football. IMO, EKU is expecting more from their programnow than prior (very recently) to us joining the OVC. The OVC will be back in the national picture in football real soon.

If UC joins the OVC and experiences the same things we have they can expect larger crowds, more donations, more local coverage, increase enrollment, and more fun. It is great to travel to some games each year.

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I would hate for UT-C to leave the SoCon, but I can completely understand having to travel shorter distances for football games.

Which visiting team from the SoCon brings the most fans to Chattanooga?

I would guess that App State or Georgia Southern. Do you have the attendance handy?

OL FU

Keep us informed what may be the biggest conversation piece at the Rouser.

If you can't go? Send the janitor or your secretary.:nod: :D

IS it a public event? (Shows you how much I know huh?)

atlGAmocs
July 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I would prefer that UTC (i am not in favor of the name change:cool: ) stay in the SoCon. As a fairly recent grad I have just begun to enjoy I-AA football and the competition in the SoCon. I believe that you can only be the best by beating the best ie SoCon. I enjoy basketball but nothing can beat Saturday afternoons in the fall. However, if i believe that UTC will have no choice to move to the OVC if future SoCon expansion is focused in the Carolinas. If the move was towards Bama or Georgia than that would say alot about the SoCon's desire to keep the Mocs.

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM
With our move, I would say the conference makes no difference. Our team is better, but the lack of travel also made our team better. Those long trips takes a lot out of the team. If UC comes to the OVC it will only put more pressure on everyone to keep improving. Samford and us have made the other conference members put more commitment into football. IMO, EKU is expecting more from their programnow than prior (very recently) to us joining the OVC. The OVC will be back in the national picture in football real soon.

If UC joins the OVC and experiences the same things we have they can expect larger crowds, more donations, more local coverage, increase enrollment, and more fun. It is great to travel to some games each year.

Thanks,

OL FU
July 24th, 2006, 12:55 PM
IS it a public event? (Shows you how much I know huh?)

So I walk down to the registration desk to see if any of the events are public. The guy sitting there says he thinks but is not sure that the media interviews are public ( Well right away I know I know about as much as he) . So I ask, "What are we doing to keep Chattanooga in the Conference"?

He says "They are staying, that is just rumors" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah right:p

youwouldno
July 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I would prefer that UTC (i am not in favor of the name change:cool: ) stay in the SoCon. As a fairly recent grad I have just begun to enjoy I-AA football and the competition in the SoCon. I believe that you can only be the best by beating the best ie SoCon. I enjoy basketball but nothing can beat Saturday afternoons in the fall. However, if i believe that UTC will have no choice to move to the OVC if future SoCon expansion is focused in the Carolinas. If the move was towards Bama or Georgia than that would say alot about the SoCon's desire to keep the Mocs.

What I-AA school can the SoCon add in Georgia???

JSU02
July 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Savannah State:confused:

JMU Duke Dog
July 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Georgia State is already guaranteed membership into the CAA if they start up a I-AA football program. So that still leaves Savannah State as stated by the above post. Just imagine if the SoCon added Savannah State after the MEAC would not! :eek:

goasu984Life
July 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Why not have every school that was in the SoCon when I was in school just up and leave the conference so I can talk about the glory days o fthe SoCon and no one who is in school now understaznd what the hell I am talking about.

Let's see who has left the conference while I was in school and since I graduated in 1998:

Marshall
VMI
ETSU
Now maybe UTC

Is anyone actually gonna stay in the conference?

GaSouthern
July 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I think it would be a good idea (for UTC not SoCon) to join the OVC.

I also think this could have a posative spin for the SoCon if they will get away from becoming the Carolina Conference. I do want CCU and SC State I had to admit though. I just wish there were maybe some FL teams that could join or maybe Valdosta St. will make the D-I jump and go for the SoCon? I know all the private schools want MORE private schools though which is bottle-necking the whole thing IMO.

BearsCountry
July 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I think it would be a good idea (for UTC not SoCon) to join the OVC.

I also think this could have a posative spin for the SoCon if they will get away from becoming the Carolina Conference. I do want CCU and SC State I had to admit though. I just wish there were maybe some FL teams that could join or maybe Valdosta St. will make the D-I jump and go for the SoCon? I know all the private schools want MORE private schools though which is bottle-necking the whole thing IMO.

Hopefully the SoCon doesnt keep losing teams, you might see gasp a merger with the Big South.

GaSouthern
July 24th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Hopefully the SoCon doesnt keep losing teams, you might see gasp a merger with the Big South.

http://stonegiant.com/Politics/frozen_hell.jpg

WUTNDITWAA
July 24th, 2006, 08:56 PM

We'd be seeing it from the Sun Belt.

SO ILLmatic
July 24th, 2006, 09:06 PM
maybe some southern d-ia teams like Middle TN St, FAU, and FIU can wise up and realize they belong in i-aa instead of i-a. these teams are geographic matches for the conference.

EKU05
July 24th, 2006, 09:32 PM
The Florida schools yes, but I'd be willing to be MTSU would return to the OVC (if they were welcome at least) where they have spent a large portion of their history.

BearsCountry
July 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Its laughable to think those schools will come back to I-AA.

EKU05
July 24th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Oh, I agre...I'm just pointing out where they would likley seek refuge IF they did. None of them will.

WUTNDITWAA
July 24th, 2006, 10:38 PM
New record. It only took 31/2 pages for this thread to degenerate into a "which schools should be forced back into I-AA" thread. Congratulations.:rolleyes:

July 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM
New record. It only took 31/2 pages for this thread to degenerate into a "which schools should be forced back into I-AA" thread. Congratulations.:rolleyes:Notice who once again started it... App St fans... :rolleyes:

youwouldno
July 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
There's nothing the SoCon can do about the fact that so many I-AA programs are located in the Carolinas but few are located in Georgia or Florida. Conferences have to be based on the programs such as they exist.

The only really painful loss the SoCon suffered recently was Marshall. ETSU was kicked out while VMI has struggled in football.

WUTNDITWAA
July 24th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Notice who once again started it... App St fans... :rolleyes:

Nope. Don't see it. Just laying the options for ASU if the SoCon and Big South were to merge. Then it turned into every other thread. It would've turned into every other thread without the "App St. fans" (me).

July 24th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Nope. Don't see it...Here you go, recognize the author?
We'd be seeing it from the Sun Belt.Instigator claims innocence?xlolx

WUTNDITWAA
July 25th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Ummm. I didn't claim innocense at all. Here's a little advice: It would help you if you would read complete posts. Mine aren't that long I swear.

My last line was...

"It would've turned into every other thread without the "App St. fans" (me)."

"Me" in pyranthesis (can we get a spell check on here?) was an admission of sorts, but I was merely pointing out a merger in the Big South and Southern would force ASU to play what's really its only option. Then, the board spins into its favorite topic of "can we get Congress to pass a law forcing the schools we choose back into our division?" -- or something along that line. My point was, even if I hadn't chimed in (oh I now wish I would've read this thread two hours later), it would have turned into a "this school belongs here thread" anyway. Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong. :bang:

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Ummm. I didn't claim innocense at all. Here's a little advice: It would help you if you would read complete posts. Mine aren't that long I swear.

My last line was...

"It would've turned into every other thread without the "App St. fans" (me)."

"Me" in pyranthesis (can we get a spell check on here?) was an admission of sorts, but I was merely pointing out a merger in the Big South and Southern would force ASU to play what's really its only option. Then, the board spins into its favorite topic of "can we get Congress to pass a law forcing the schools we choose back into our division?" -- or something along that line. My point was, even if I hadn't chimed in (oh I now wish I would've read this thread two hours later), it would have turned into a "this school belongs here thread" anyway. Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong. :bang:

Even based on this thread the merger would be 2/5 of the big south. CCU and VMI and only 1/5 for new members CCU.

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM
There's nothing the SoCon can do about the fact that so many I-AA programs are located in the Carolinas but few are located in Georgia or Florida. Conferences have to be based on the programs such as they exist.

The only really painful loss the SoCon suffered recently was Marshall. ETSU was kicked out while VMI has struggled in football.

youwouldno has made a very good point that we tend to overlook so I will mention it again. Georgia and even Alabama don't have a lot of I-AA schools. Tennessee does but the only area that is very conducive to SoCon memberhip with our present membership is Knoxville and east of Knoxville. Virgina does but the SoCon Virgina schools (W&M and Richmond) (except for VMI) decided to leave with the last major realignment. So you look to the Carolinas. :nod:

atlGAmocs
July 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM
West Georgia has a very competitive D-II program. They are a potential target for the SoCon. If Kennesaw State ever got off their a** and realized their potential to tap into the fertile Atlanta talent market.

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 07:18 AM
West Georgia has a very competitive D-II program. They are a potential target for the SoCon. If Kennesaw State ever got off their a** and realized their potential to tap into the fertile Atlanta talent market.

I will let you know after Sept 9.:smiley_wi

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Just ran into #62 Isenhour - Mountaineer.

He didn't have a clue what the Mocs were going to do;)

dungeonjoe
July 25th, 2006, 07:59 AM
We have a new AGS presence at the SoCon rouser Ol FU! :hurray:

I would like to see you write something for I-AA.org from a "non-professional" sport writer perspective.

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM
We have a new AGS presence at the SoCon rouser Ol FU! :hurray:

I would like to see you write something for I-AA.org from a "non-professional" sport writer perspective.

The SoCon Rouser from the Geek perspective:D

dungeonjoe
July 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM
you can catch some of the rouser now at SoConsports.com

Elon coach on now

OL FU
July 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
you can catch some of the rouser now at SoConsports.com

Elon coach on now

Why does he keep calling them the Elon Mountain Hawks:confused: :confused:

Elon Engineers sounds much better:nod:

WUTNDITWAA
July 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Even based on this thread the merger would be 2/5 of the big south. CCU and VMI and only 1/5 for new members CCU.

True. It sounds like we're almost halfway there.: