PDA

View Full Version : FBS teams just never learn...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1331401-james-madison-vs-west-virginia-does-bye-then-cupcake-benefit-mountaineers

I am officially calling it now. James Madison beats West Virginia.

TTUEagles
September 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Me, too...This espn-guy-writer suggests WVU's QB will put up "cartoon-ish" numbers against FCS James Madison...other bashings of FCS, too...see link below:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/BMOC-091112/bmoc-surveys-heisman-race-savannah-carnage-more

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I can see bashing Savannah State. I can see bashing teams that struggled in FCS last year. But JMU? C'mon. They are a solid program and Top 10 in FCS. Again, these people never learn. West Virginia is going to be upset by JMU. I can feel it in the air.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
JMU beating WVU would surpass App State over Michigan as the biggest FCS/FBS upset ever. WVU is frickin' nasty!!

DFW HOYA
September 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM
WV is much too strong for the Dukes this year.

HensRock
September 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I can't beleive I'm saying this...

GO DUKES !!!!!

MplsBison
September 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Sure I'll root for JMU, but to expect them to be competitive with WV is preposterous.

Yes, the author is in the wrong to lump JMU in with Savannah St. We know that. He doesn't and probably doesn't care -- just like most of America.

moosbah
September 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
WVU wins by three touchdowns.

asumike83
September 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I strongly disagree with casting JMU in the same light at Savannah State but the Dukes will be seriously out-manned in this one. The other Mountaineers hung 69 on Marshall and beat them by 5 touchdowns. I think JMU would have a great shot against Marshall but I think they are fairly comparable to a team WVU has already lit up. With JMU only two years removed from beating Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, I really don't think WVU will be looking past them.

I will be rooting for the Dukes but think they take one on the chin here. However, I think they will play them closer than Maryland will the next week.

mmiller_34
September 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM
This infuriates me. Zero thinking was involved in that article. Savannah State DOES NOT EQUAL James Madison; to think otherwise is just insane and moronic. "FTFBS."

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM
This infuriates me. Zero thinking was involved in that article. Savannah State DOES NOT EQUAL James Madison; to think otherwise is just insane and moronic. "FTFBS."

Sure JMU > Savannah State, but WVU >>>>> Okie State...

penguinpower
September 12th, 2012, 01:17 PM
JMU does not have a chance Vs WVU. Sorry, but just not going to happen. Look at what they have done this year and what they did to Clemson last year. They are one of the best at the BCS level.

MplsBison
September 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM

"This infuriates me. Zero thinking was involved in that article. The University of Sioux Falls DOES NOT EQUAL Huron State; to think otherwise is just insane and moronic."

Do you see what I did there? The way that you view those schools is the way most people view I-AA. Sorry but that's the truth.

blackfordpu
September 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
SHSU is getting the same thing from Baylor fan this week.

penguinpower
September 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
"This infuriates me. Zero thinking was involved in that article. The University of Sioux Falls DOES NOT EQUAL Huron State; to think otherwise is just insane and moronic."

Do you see what I did there? The way that you view those schools is the way most people view I-AA. Sorry but that's the truth.

This was written by Youngstown Vindicator Beat writer after the Pitt Game. Hope this makes everyone feel better about being called a "cupcake"

A couple postgame thoughts By Joe Scalzo (Contact)

Published September 1, 2012
I'll have more on YSU's big win later tonight. Right now, my brain is a little tired from writing three stories in 90 minutes.

But here's a couple thoughts in the meantime:

1. More than a few people with YSU were talking about how much they like cupcakes after the Pitt News (aka Pitt's student newspaper) called this a "classic cupcake game against the Penguins, Pitt's lowly Football Championship Subdivision opponent." The writer also said the Penguins would need Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to have a chance and predicted a 34-10 win.

I chuckled when I saw that before the game. Lazy, lazy, lazy journalism by a student who will learn from this, I'm sure.

2. One of the things I remember most from last year's loss to Michigan State was how peeved Eric Wolford was after the game. He repeatedly said he expected to win and repeated that again tonight. It's one of the program's 16 "Fundamentals of Success." I have no idea what the other 15 are.

3. I wrote about this for tomorrow's paper but I'll repeat it here. After the game, former YSU athletic director Joe Malmisur -- who hired Jim Tressel and oversaw the program from 83-94 -- called this the biggest win of his lifetime.

"That win over Georgia Southern at Georgia Southern [in 1991] was pretty big," he said. "This is the best victory I've seen in my lifetime."

4. I predicted YSU would lose 31-17. At least I got the score right.

5. I also said YSU would probably win 1 out of 10 against Pitt. I did not get that right. The Penguins were the better team today, no question.

6. My 9-2 prediction for YSU's season seemed bold a few hours ago. I might be selling them short.

7. It's going to be hard not to look ahead to that first conference game at home against UNI on Sept. 22. Northern Iowa nearly beat Wisconsin today, losing 26-21. Pretty nice day for the Missouri Valley.

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2012, 01:32 PM
We all obviously know that West Virginia is much better than Colorado St but CSU writers were very complimentary towards NDSU and by proxy to the FCS in general last Sunday: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120908/SPORTS/309080023/

TTUEagles
September 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM

I totally agree with this...My only argument is trying to get respect ONLY in the sense of FCS football is a pretty good/entertaining brand of football, as a whole. I don't think anyone who's affiliated with an FCS school is asking for 50,000 at their games or the same amount of attention as BCS schools.
I shouldn't do this to myself, but reading the Oregon message boards, half think TTU is Division II, and other "swear they could start for TTU right now, coming out of the stands" Message board crap, I get it...just hate hearing that junk. Oregon will likely roll to the tune of 70-0, but TTU still plays at a decent level of football.
I hate reading the ESPN junk with people clamoring against the ONE game/year where the FBS takes on an FCS school.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Way to try to spin some sentences into something completely besides the point. Nobody wrote an article calling Sioux Falls a cupcake.

UNDColorado
September 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Way to try to spin some sentences into something completely besides the point. Nobody wrote an article calling Sioux Falls a cupcake.

Rep points for you sir!

SpeedkingATL
September 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hope the writer realizeds that this is James Madison and not Dolly Madison when he starts the cupcake talk. This is one App that will be pulling for JMU.

MplsBison
September 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM

They're calling I-AA teams cupcakes, because they don't know any better because they don't care.

Just like I-AA fans don't know DII teams because they don't care. I was just trying to get him to see why they think like that. It's no different.

MplsBison
September 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I totally agree with this...My only argument is trying to get respect ONLY in the sense of FCS football is a pretty good/entertaining brand of football, as a whole. I don't think anyone who's affiliated with an FCS school is asking for 50,000 at their games or the same amount of attention as BCS schools.
I shouldn't do this to myself, but reading the Oregon message boards, half think TTU is Division II, and other "swear they could start for TTU right now, coming out of the stands" Message board crap, I get it...just hate hearing that junk. Oregon will likely roll to the tune of 70-0, but TTU still plays at a decent level of football.
I hate reading the ESPN junk with people clamoring against the ONE game/year where the FBS takes on an FCS school.

We know I-AA is good product on the field. But most people don't care so they don't know. And even when I-AA sometimes wins, they just blow it off.

JMUNJ08
September 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the JMU love in this thread. We will need an all- star team assembled for Saturday but I do think we can hang with WVU. They CANNOT stop anyone from scoring. Will it be bad if we lost 70-40? All those big bad wolf FBS teams haven't gotten that close to WVU yet... Plus, we are pulling at least half the fans they are for an NFL stadium/ neutral field! I really want to know he last FCS team that played a neutral/ home game against a BCS team? I wish we had more fans going as this is def not an every year thing and that I could make it myself by I cannot wait for Saturday!

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Are you guys serious? That ain't Colorado State. This would literally be the 2nd biggest upset in the history of FCS/FBS matchups. In my mind even more surprising than App State/Michigan. West Virginia is a juggernaut offensively.

MTfan4life
September 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hope the writer realizeds that this is James Madison and not Dolly Madison when he starts the cupcake talk. This is one App that will be pulling for JMU.

He simply said cartoonish numbers. Something Geno Smith has already done his last two games. (in the Orange Bowl against Clemson, and two weeks ago against Marshall) He was 32-36 for 323 yards and 4 TDs. He also ran for 65 yards on 8 carries and a TD. It won't be surprising if he does the same against JMU. Geno Smith and his Mountaineer offense is just THAT good.

bjtheflamesfan
September 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I love ya LFN but if I take JMU in this game its to cover, not to win.

BisonAccountant44
September 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Are you guys serious? That ain't Colorado State. This would literally be the 2nd biggest upset in the history of FCS/FBS matchups. In my mind even more surprising than App State/Michigan. West Virginia is a juggernaut offensively.

I don't think he was comparing the magnitude of the two opponents, just pointing out that there are some media outlets out there that don't totaly dismiss all FCS teams as cupcakes.

MplsBison
September 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I don't think he was comparing the magnitude of the two opponents, just pointing out that there are some media outlets out there that don't totaly dismiss all FCS teams as cupcakes.

Which media outlets are those, who normally cover the beats for major college football teams?

bonarae
September 12th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, WVU is way too strong offensively for JMU. I'm thinking WVU by 4 or more TDs.

But, speaking of the FBS media and national media maltreating us, they still can't get over the fact that all of the football subidivisions have a broad spectrum of teams, say App State in 2007 could hold on and beat Michigan. It's just execution and luck that matter here. Why DIII and even NAIA teams still compete with PFL (and some major conference FCS) teams annually? I don't know... is it really for experience of the lower division teams heading into conference play?