PDA

View Full Version : I just read Athlon's college football preview magazine (I-A)...

TheBisonator
July 22nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
And I noticed that they predicted EVERY SINGLE I-A team to beat the I-AA teams in the games we have against I-A. I mean, there are 80-some-odd games between I-A and I-AA this year (Possibly more?? Correct me if I'm wrong), and they're predicting a full I-A sweep. Even if that I-A team is Buffalo or Army. For instance, they predict San Jose State to beat Cal-Poly. I don't know about you, but I think CP has a chance to take them out behind the woodshed this fall. And I noticed that it's basically a pro-BCS rag, too. They ranked most of the non-BCS teams in the bottom-50, and most of the BCS teams in the top-50. They also sounded very condescending towards teams near the bottom, like FIU, Idaho, Rice, etc. But they still predict those types of teams to beat all their I-AA opponents. The only I-AA content they had in there was little thumbnail charts showing all the I-AA teams' schedules. I bought the thing knowing that, and instead wanting to know more about the I-A teams, but it still seemed like a big crock to me.

As a lifetime fan of darkhorses and lower-level underdogs when it comes to sports, I was not too pleased at this mag. That was 7 dollars well spent.

Tod
July 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
And I noticed that they predicted EVERY SINGLE I-A team to beat the I-AA teams in the games we have against I-A. I mean, there are 80-some-odd games between I-A and I-AA this year (Possibly more?? Correct me if I'm wrong), and they're predicting a full I-A sweep. Even if that I-A team is Buffalo or Army. For instance, they predict San Jose State to beat Cal-Poly. I don't know about you, but I think CP has a chance to take them out behind the woodshed this fall. And I noticed that it's basically a pro-BCS rag, too. They ranked most of the non-BCS teams in the bottom-50, and most of the BCS teams in the top-50. They also sounded very condescending towards teams near the bottom, like FIU, Idaho, Rice, etc. But they still predict those types of teams to beat all their I-AA opponents. The only I-AA content they had in there was little thumbnail charts showing all the I-AA teams' schedules. I bought the thing knowing that, and instead wanting to know more about the I-A teams, but it still seemed like a big crock to me.

As a lifetime fan of darkhorses and lower-level underdogs when it comes to sports, I was not too pleased at this mag. That was 7 dollars well spent.

Do they have an e-mail address for feedback?

TheBisonator
July 22nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Do they have an e-mail address for feedback?

They probably do, but I'm not the kind of person who complains via-email, so I probably wouldn't bother doing it anyway...

Tod
July 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
They probably do, but I'm not the kind of person who complains via-email, so I probably wouldn't bother doing it anyway...

I will, if you provide the address...:nod: :mad:

Frosty The Snowbuff
July 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Phil Steele's Pac 10 regional preview happens to have 28 pages covering 1-AA for those that are interested. The problem with this is unless you're on the West Coast, you will most likely have to order online and pay an extra $7 for shipping (ouch) because it is near impossible to find a PAC 10 Regional issue in Louisiana (aka --- SEC Country).:bawling:

Oh well....like I said long ago...I'm a "collector" of preseason mags and I buy them just to see what they have to say.

Another $20 gone:nonono2:

Now back to the discussion at hand....sorry folks.

blukeys
July 22nd, 2006, 10:32 PM

I'm confused did you expect these guys to do even a little bit of homework before they typed in their prerequisite opinions and collect their paychecks?????????????

Sports Writing is a business and they really don't care about accuracy since NO ONE will call them on their wrong and bogus predictions later this year.

The longer I am on this board the more I am convinced that many sportswriters just mail certain jobs in and know little about the actual teams they claim they cover.

I would trust the opinions of many on this board much sooner than certain home town writers who are more interested in the local PRO and I-A football teams.

Tod
July 22nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
I'm confused did you expect these guys to do even a little bit of homework before they typed in their prerequisite opinions and collect their paychecks?????????????

Sports Writing is a business and they really don't care about accuracy since NO ONE will call them on their wrong and bogus predictions later this year.

The longer I am on this board the more I am convinced that many sportswriters just mail certain jobs in and know little about the actual teams they claim they cover.

I would trust the opinions of many on this board much sooner than certain home town writers who are more interested in the local PRO and I-A football teams.

Also, even if I-AA teams win eight of those games, they can still claim 90% accuracy. I guess that's easier than doing research any day. :rolleyes: : smh :

youwouldno
July 22nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
In their defense, with very few exceptions the I-A team IS favored.

Now, I don't think they are necessarily saying no I-AA teams will win. But even if they wanted to put some thought into it, picking the upsets would be difficult and could make them look stupid. Ultimately it really doesn't make sense for them to pick a I-AA upset, in pure odds terms.

arranger101
July 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
What I-A doesn't know won't hurt them...UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!

South Carolina, your on the clock and have A FULL YEAR to get ready for three I-AA schools...William-Brice Stadium is not safe anymore. Let's see if the Gamecocks make it out of the non-conference schedule for 2007.

Like I said...YOU'RE ON THE CLOCK!!!!!

"the wheels on the bus go :rotateh: and :rotateh: "

catamount man
July 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
What I-A doesn't know won't hurt them...UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!

South Carolina, your on the clock and have A FULL YEAR to get ready for three I-AA schools...William-Brice Stadium is not safe anymore. Let's see if the Gamecocks make it out of the non-conference schedule for 2007.

Like I said...YOU'RE ON THE CLOCK!!!!!

"the wheels on the bus go :rotateh: and :rotateh: "

Beat them. BEAT THEM BAD!!!:thumbsup:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

lucchesicourt
July 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
If a 1AA team has a full schollie level, they are still 2 deep at every position. Now, if a 1AA coach knows his stuff, he could easily get a few gems, and add a few overlooked sleepers (like UCD has done at the QB position over the past 30+years)., and make a real game of it.

July 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
If a 1AA team has a full schollie level, they are still 2 deep at every position. Now, if a 1AA coach knows his stuff, he could easily get a few gems, and add a few overlooked sleepers (like UCD has done at the QB position over the past 30+years)., and make a real game of it.Even a I-AA team and coach could and has repeatedly over the years.