PDA

View Full Version : SNW Big Sky Preview

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Definitely hoping I can see some Big Sky games on the tube this year. This conference seems to be very tight from the top to the bottom. The Big Sky coaches seemed to agree and this will be a very interesting year. Matt D breaks down the Big Sky...

----------

Big Sky - Hunting down the Grizzlies

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - After devouring breakfast and listening to a state of the conference speech by commissioner Doug Fullerton at Big Sky media day, I became very intrigued to go into the conference media session and see how the coaches and media forecasted the 2006 season.

Unlike most conferences, my interest did not lie in finding out who earned the nod as the league’s top team. Montana would be the top pick in the Big Sky Conference, and they deserve it. The Grizzlies have 13 returning starters and a few impact transfers, and feature a deep defense and balanced offense. It never hurts to win the league on a yearly basis or make 13 consecutive playoff appearances, either.

The Grizzlies took first by a wide margin in both the coaches and media preseason polls. But the question in the Big Sky Conference remained: who will challenge Montana? The answer, at least from the conference polls, just provided more questions.

Places two through six in the conference were separated by eight points in the coaches poll, and 26 points in the media poll. Those numbers are amazingly close considering Montana held a 20-point edge on second place in the coaches poll, and a 77-point advantage in the media poll.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4031754.htm

Tod
July 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Finally, some respect for ISU! They should be an eplosive team offensively, and their D should be good enough to compliment them. This team reminds me of the Griz of '04 in the talent levels on each side of the ball (though they could be better on D).

MSU's returning star rushed for 435 yards and had 6 TD's? With an outstanding defense, their offense will have to gel early and well to be competative as a team.

Good article. Thanks, TT!

July 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Finally, some respect for ISU!...;)

Tod
July 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
;)
:D

GrizFoo
July 23rd, 2006, 02:51 AM
I like Matt's thinking, I think he hacked into my computer or head to get what I was thinking. I might swap PSU and MSU, but for PSU's schedule being so brutal. Big props to them for, even if it is mainly for money, playing such an agressive schedule. It could very well bring their intensity and game speed up a notch. I don't buy into the "body bag" description of playing I-A's. But playing 3 of them, given the notable disadvantages I-AA's have against I-A, it could wear you down...or toughen you up. :eyebrow: .

Good job Mr. D. I look forward to more conference overviews. It will be an excellent way to brush up on the rest of I-AA in a consise, well written piece, by someone who does their homework. Finally someone who sees ISU as the condender I think they are. They are loaded with speed and talent on O with or without Gutierrez. But he will be the glue. Consistancy is the only thing they could lack.
He also sees Weber like I do. Just because McBride has some good things going, and a great future, doesn't mean they can just continue where they left off from last year.

The fact is Weber is heading in the right directions. They have a big upgrade in coaching and recruiting, AND still have their previous coach in the athletic dept working to build it up from the view point of an administrator instead of a coach. But they lost a lot with the McQuistins, especially considering they run a ton of play action. They have their QB, Pizarro, and RB, Hall, back but loose their best WR in Jackson, and speedster and all purpose WSU yards leader Wiley King. And on D they loose Fosmark, ouch. They gain knowldedge of McBride's system, and McBride has an additional year to bring in guys who fit what he wants to do, surely R.B. will bring in some quality recruits, possibly additional BYU/Utal transfers at the last minute. But he has a lot of talent to replace to be considered better talent wise IMO.

Well I've already posted my thoughts of most teams in the BSC a couple of times in the past couple of days. I can't do it again. Of course no one cares, but I'll lay it out at GrizFoo sees it when I get some more juice in my tank.

catbob
July 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Keep in mind Evin Groves only started three games, and played in 8.

He rushed only 94 times, for an 4.6 YPC average and 6 TDs. I might remind everyone that this was his freshman year. We shall see if he can be a featured back or not.

GrizFoo
July 23rd, 2006, 04:07 AM
Wow, that is refreshing to hear from a bobcat catbob. A cat fan pointing out to a Griz fan that a player looks good, but isn't completely proven yet. I like it.

I think it will play out that he is a fine RB, I'm sure you'll agree. Even as a feature back. But he won't be able to do it alone. Another RB will have to prove himself to help Groves out, or the team if Groves get dinged. I think Carpenter will turn out to be a pretty good QB, possibly even better accuracy wise than Lulay. But even if Lulay was the QB, with all new WR, getting to know the other player's quirks, ability, speed, routes, etc won't appear over night.

Just another exciting and interesting year of cat/Griz, BSC, and I-AA football brewing for all to enjoy as they drink up, and soak in the preseason anxiousness, until the first kickoff lets loose months of the slow brewed excitement and joy.