PDA

View Full Version : How does your place look on TV?

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
While watching App ST- Montana, my wife and I were discussing good places to watch a game vs food places for TV.

App State is not good for TV. The venue just doesn't translate well. Track probably doesn't help. That said, can't wait to go sometime.

Montana- great on TV. I remember watching App-UM in 2009 and you felt like you were there.

UNI seems decent when full. Close sidelines and the noise being kept in help.

344Johnson
September 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Montana State looks pretty cool on TV. Ditto with 'SU. EWU makes your eyes bleed.

DoubleE
September 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
While watching App ST- Montana, my wife and I were discussing good places to watch a game vs food places for TV.

App State is not good for TV. The venue just doesn't translate well. Track probably doesn't help. That said, can't wait to go sometime.

Montana- great on TV. I remember watching App-UM in 2009 and you felt like you were there.

UNI and NDSU look good on tv. for some reason though i dont think YSU comes off well on tv though

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I would immediately disqualify any team/venue that averages less than 20,000 a game, unless inside a dome.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I honestly don't know because I'm at every home game, but it's scenic.

bulldog10jw
September 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Empty

Sly Fox
September 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Like many FCS stadiums, are comes across smallish because the cameras placed on the home side point toward the visitor side where we don't have an upper deck yet.

A couple of years ago we had to have FieldTurf come in and replace a brand new surface because it reflected the stadium lights and made the field look wet. There are no such problems today at Williams Stadium.

Twentysix
September 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Like many FCS stadiums, are comes across smallish because the cameras placed on the home side point toward the visitor side where we don't have an upper deck yet.

A couple of years ago we had to have FieldTurf come in and replace a brand new surface because it reflected the stadium lights and made the field look wet. There are no such problems today at Williams Stadium.

Hows the ol bison punching bag Gill doing? xsmiley_wix

HailSzczur
September 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Ours looked pretty good back around 2008-2010 when we had the sky cam hooked up. That gave a real cool view, one you can't really get at many other FCS stadiums. Otherwise it looks pretty much like what you'd expect it to look like. We have cameras at about the 20's on the home side of the field, on top of the press box, and up on one of those motorized scaffolding things in the endzone. The stands are usually 1/2 to 3/4 full depending on how many people the opposing team brings. Nothing spectacular.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
UNI and NDSU look good on tv. for some reason though i dont think YSU comes off well on tv though

If only they showed the home side...

HailSzczur
September 10th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Just my opinion, but I didn't think the dome looked all that great on TV. But my only sample set is the 2008 Richmond UNI playoff game

The views from the endzone looked weird. Lots of concrete, very dull. It reminded me of a mid major school basketball field house

The other thing that I didn't really care for is the colored seats. It just looked awkward when not full to have all these patches of different colors as they panned down the field.

ASU_Fanatic
September 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM
that stupid track makes it not look as good

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
App needs to replace the track with turf, and plant a row of hedges along the walls like ECU's.

ASU_Fanatic
September 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
if our stadium was right on the field like Montana it would be so much more intimidating

McNeese75
September 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
if our stadium was right on the field like Montana it would be so much more intimidating

Scrap the track, add seats

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Just my opinion, but I didn't think the dome looked all that great on TV. But my only sample set is the 2008 Richmond UNI playoff game

The views from the endzone looked weird. Lots of concrete, very dull. It reminded me of a mid major school basketball field house

The other thing that I didn't really care for is the colored seats. It just looked awkward when not full to have all these patches of different colors as they panned down the field.

Fair enough. I guess overall I mean atmosphere. Even though App has a TON of people and great atmosphere, it doesn't come across on TV except when they do isolated shots of the crowd.

ASU_Fanatic
September 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Scrap the track, add seats

i dont care what they do just get rid of it

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2012, 09:37 PM

I agree with the seats aspect. I really wish they would replace the seats and put in all purple. I guess that is what you get when they have been the same since 1976. I think we have done a lot to improve the concrete dingyness, but it still does come across from time to time. I mean the entire building is pretty much concrete so that will happen. It also used to look really dull on TV, but I think the new lights seem to have made an improvement. I mean if you look at the endzone this is in I think it looks better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGp3jdDvhAM&feature=related

ysubigred
September 11th, 2012, 07:22 AM
If only they showed the home side...

+1 ^^ Once they are done with the new soccer field, I'd hope the next project would be to finish the ICE Castle.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2012, 07:27 AM
looks great, just not loud enough anymore

penguinpower
September 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM
+1 ^^ Once they are done with the new soccer field, I'd hope the next project would be to finish the ICE Castle.

This was the vison

penguinpower
September 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM
But currently looks good from arerial view:

gotts
September 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Looks better with new turf!

I'd imagine it'll look equally as good with the new-new turf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oe0HD4ILo&t=1m35s

BEAR
September 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Psychedelic. (sp?)

813Jag
September 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM
seems like anytime we have a televised game at home it rains. Our stadium doesn't look too bad on TV other than the track. I'll see how it looks Thursday on ESPNU vs MVSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhOqL1fPcrM

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM

This was the vison

Any plans to make that a reality?

Apphole
September 11th, 2012, 11:38 AM

I agree. DO NOT JUDGE KBS UNTIL YOU ATTEND A GAME. It looks like **** on TV, but is one of the prettiest/rowdiest stadiums in football.

Apphole
September 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I had a conspiracy theory that all broadcasters that covered App games made a conscious effort to make our stadium look as bad as possible. They wouldn't show the club seats, only shoot the "State" side and get plenty of Orange track footage. Only when they do the crowd close ups do you get a sense of the atmosphere. And of course you hear the noise.

LeadBolt
September 11th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Better than it does in person...

crossfire07
September 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I agree. DO NOT JUDGE KBS UNTIL YOU ATTEND A GAME. It looks like **** on TV, but is one of the prettiest/rowdiest stadiums in football.

Nothing wrong with being bias :) I have been to a full KBS and I have been to Tiger Stadium with over 92k and no offense but KBS isn't in the same universe when it comes to being rowdy.One can't expect 30k to do the job of 90+

Apphole
September 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Nothing wrong with being bias :) I have been to a full KBS and I have been to Tiger Stadium with over 92k and no offense but KBS isn't in the same universe when it comes to being rowdy.One can't expect 30k to do the job of 90+

Per-capita obviously. Per-capita, we can compete with any BCS school.

TheRevSFA
September 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM
The only Southland school that looks good on TV is probably Northwestern State.

UCA's field looks horrible. McNeese's field doesn't translate well to TV...

Hammerhead
September 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
The stadium at Montana State looked good on TV and in person. Jeld-Wen field in Portland looks good on TV for Timbers games although I've never watched a PSU football game.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM
No comment.

Big Dawg
September 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
seems like anytime we have a televised game at home it rains. Our stadium doesn't look too bad on TV other than the track. I'll see how it looks Thursday on ESPNU vs MVSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhOqL1fPcrM

*Off topic*

What was Pete so pissed about in that video?

melloware13
September 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM
One of the pluses for our stadium I feel is that since the stands are so steep, they can film the field without needing to show the away stands. I'd personally rather have it be packed when on tv (and off also), but luckily the cameras can avoid that when showing game action (from the few time's I've seen it on TV)

penguinpower
September 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Any plans to make that a reality?

Couldn't tell you. Not privy to that information. With the sheet shale fracking in NE Ohio, several large oil companies have moved into the area. Y-town is like a gold rush town right now. They are adding billions to new steel mills. Millions in new business investments and the university is getting money for research. Maybe in a few years there will be enough money to support this plan for the stadium. Y-town is going to turn into a mini Houston, Tx. Refinerys to be built in Western PA.

penguinpower
September 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I have been to KBS and it is very, very similar to YSU's stadium except it is in the side of a mountain far from a big city. Both are very nice and the field view is excellent. The steep stands help keep the noise at the field level.

penguinpower
September 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM

I have been to KBS and it is very, very similar to YSU's stadium except it is in the side of a mountain far from a big city. Both are very nice and the field view is excellent. The steep stands help keep the noise at the field level.

WUTNDITWAA
September 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
The stadium looks a million times better than it did before 2008. I used to be embarassed that we had to put cameras on scissors lifts on the other side of the field, because we were ashamed of our half stands. Ashamed, but apparently not ashamed enough to do anything about it until a few years ago. Now that's not a problem.

coover
September 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Cal Poly's Spanos Stadium is a great place to watch a football game. It is in a beautiful area and is, in fact, quite attractive itself. But for television? Not so attractive. All of the cameras are placed on the West Side of the stadium and point East toward a nice looking field and to the student "bleacher seats". Another set of "bleacher seats" are beyond the southern end zone. There are no seats at all past the northern end zone, just a giant video scoreboard. The main part of the stadium, which is attractive, is not shown on the television. From a camera viewpoint, it is a high school stadium with a very nice scoreboard at one end. There is a plan to eventually replace the bleachers with something better and more attractive and, in fact, to increase the number of seats from 11075 to 22000, but that won't happen without a lot of money being donated.

Ivytalk
September 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Harvard Stadium: Classic, since 1903. Eternal. Always somehow right. Especially the colonnades. Even when we suck.

bulldog10jw
September 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Harvard Stadium: Classic, since 1903. Eternal. Always somehow right. Especially the colonnades. Even when we suck.

My first time in Harvard Stadium was for the Yale game in 1978. We were in row PP, which was up in the colonnades. Nice seats, but I had to crane my neck a couple of times to see.

As an aside, the first time I tried to get tickets for a game at Harvard was 1968. They laughed at me.

813Jag
September 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
*Off topic*

What was Pete so pissed about in that video?
Probably the refs, they caught hell from him xlolx

Go...gate
September 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Colgate's Andy Kerr Stadium comes off well on TV, because the pressbox is across from the home stands which are more likely to be occupied. Also, the setting of the stadium, like most in the Patriot League, is terrific when accompanied by fall colors.

Grizo406
September 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Washington/Grizzly Stadium looks really good on TV, and even better in person...mostly because I'm sittin' in 233B, Row 11.

In person, Kidd Brewer, sans the track, is eye hurting gorgeous, has a lot of things I'd like to see in WG, and is well maintained!

UAalum72
September 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM

Always great to have an excuse to show this

But to answer the question at hand: probably better than it looks in person

NoCoDanny
September 11th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Domes all look like **** on TV I hate watching games in any domes especially during the day.

MSUBear42
September 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
When Fox televises? Great. When mediacom televised? Awful. But that's mainly because their cameras are just a small step ahead of webcams

UNIFanSince1983
September 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
When Fox televises? Great. When mediacom televised? Awful. But that's mainly because their cameras are just a small step ahead of webcams

I didn't realize there was anything below Standard Definition until watching a UNI game on the local TV channel last year. This year, however, they have upgraded and now push out HD broadcasts on our local CFU channel. I watched the replay of our game against Central State and was thoroughly surprised.

clenz
September 11th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I didn't realize there was anything below Standard Definition until watching a UNI game on the local TV channel last year. This year, however, they have upgraded and now push out HD broadcasts on our local CFU channel. I watched the replay of our game against Central State and was thoroughly surprised.
The new HD setup Cedar Falls Utilities uses is very nice. I watched the UNI VB game in HD tonight, the local Cedar Falls high games are HD. It's probably not 1080p, but extremely clean.

crossfire07
September 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM
SFA's field does not look bad on tv.It is actually the stadium I like to visit most in the Southland.I like the steepness of the stadium area.

penguinpower
September 12th, 2012, 06:31 AM
The stadium looks a million times better than it did before 2008. I used to be embarassed that we had to put cameras on scissors lifts on the other side of the field, because we were ashamed of our half stands. Ashamed, but apparently not ashamed enough to do anything about it until a few years ago. Now that's not a problem.

I was there when the streaker ran across the filed at halftime.xtroublex

The police tackeld him to the ground and arrested him.

mamberso
September 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Looks better with new turf!

I'd imagine it'll look equally as good with the new-new turf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oe0HD4ILo&t=1m35s

Nice NDSU. Looks like a great atmosphere.

Waco Kid
September 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM

LSU is in a different universe than most FBS stadiums... 92K drunk Cajuns just isn't something you can find anywhere else. The new end zone seats have helped keep the noise in considerably. I can only imagine how much better it would be with permanent seats in each ends and no track.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Nice NDSU. Looks like a great atmosphere.

Except, in 2012, there is STILL no HD. I'm not sure if it is all Fargo stations but KVLY, the local NBC affiliate that produces the broadcasts is still in SD. That is a traveshamockery.

TheRevSFA
September 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM
SFA's field does not look bad on tv.It is actually the stadium I like to visit most in the Southland.I like the steepness of the stadium area.

I don't think TV does "The Hole" justice. Looks much better in Lake Chuck than it does on TV.

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Except, in 2012, there is STILL no HD. I'm not sure if it is all Fargo stations but KVLY, the local NBC affiliate that produces the broadcasts is still in SD. That is a traveshamockery.

I second this.

In person, the FargoDome looks outstanding - only thing that might put people off (besides the roof) is the darkness in the upper reaches. And the tailgating area looks amazing with all the Bison rigs and flags.

On TV, it looks pretty dire. The broadcasts are not high definition - not only is camera work pretty bad, but I'm guessing that they are broadcasting from 8-year-old cell phones with lenses that they cleaned with a spit-coated q-tip.

Contrast that to the Montana playoff game that was broadcast in high def. Granted, Montana has a great stadium but the broadcast made it look even better (put most FBS stadiums to shame.)

penguinpower
September 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Fargo Dome is too dark.

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
The only Southland school that looks good on TV is probably Northwestern State.

UCA's field looks horrible. McNeese's field doesn't translate well to TV...

Northwestern's entire campus is rather picturesque...that's the only thing the Three Columned Empire has going for it ;)

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I thought KBS stadium was pretty freaking loud, especially considering the track and the openness of the set -up...