PDA

View Full Version : Yale Bowl restoration pics

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
It seems to me that it's going very slowly. I thought they would be almost done by now.

http://www.facilities.yale.edu/Projects/CurProjImages.asp?Path=F:\Facilities%20Web\Pub\ima ges\Projects\040909-04\Construction\17.July.2006\Week%201&strProjID=176

http://www.facilities.yale.edu/images/Projects/040909-04/Construction/17.July.2006/Week%201/JUL03709.jpg

Go...gate
July 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM
It looks a lot cleaner and spruced-up. The seats appear to have been upgraded.

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM
It looks a lot cleaner and spruced-up. The seats appear to have been upgraded.

It seems like the inside(of the Bowl)is further along than the outside. The outside pics show a lot more work needs to be done on the concrete and the portals.

July 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
Ready for the I-AA playoffs!

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
Ready for the I-AA playoffs!

Hopefully, in my lifetime.

ngineer
July 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Very interesting. I've never been there, but will be this year for the Lehigh game on October 14. Surprised that much of it is below grade. Reminds me of Ann Arbor when I went to my first UM game. When we arrived I thought I was at D-II stadium (no I-AA at the time), until I walked in through the tunnel and came out at the 75th row! Thought I had walked into a moon crater.
How's the view--pitch of the seats doesn't appear very steep?

Pard4Life
July 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Looking good.. and very blue! The new concrete and seats contrast nicely, and the press box doesn't look too guady. Can't wait for the Pards trip to New Haven in 2009.. which will be like.. next year.. time flies.. :rotateh:

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM

Not as steep as Harvard or the old Princeton stadium, but everywhere I ever sat had a good view. I suggest going up a few rows when you go through the portal for the best view.

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM
Looking good.. and very blue! and the press box doesn't look too guady.

The press box was actually built about 20 years ago. The original press box was damaged in a fire sometime in the '80's.

DFW HOYA
July 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM
Reminds me of Ann Arbor when I went to my first UM game. When we arrived I thought I was at D-II stadium (no I-AA at the time), until I walked in through the tunnel and came out at the 75th row! Thought I had walked into a moon crater.

Actually the Yale Bowl looks bigger than Michigan Stadium at first glance because the seats are at a wider angle to the field. If Yale ever wanted to squeeze people in, I'd suggest it could seat 88-90,000.

Looking forward to Georgetown games at the Yale Bowl and Franklin Field next season--this season's road games of note are at Brown and Columbia.

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
-this season's road games of note are at Brown and Columbia.

be careful where you park in N.Y.

Not the best area.

Pard4Life
July 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM
be careful where you park in N.Y.

Not the best area.

It seemed like an ok area.. but then again I had a parking pass and had my car within direct view on the baseball diamond from the visitors stands.

Subway is another option... take the 1 to 215th Street.

ngineer
July 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Actually the Yale Bowl looks bigger than Michigan Stadium at first glance because the seats are at a wider angle to the field. If Yale ever wanted to squeeze people in, I'd suggest it could seat 88-90,000.

Looking forward to Georgetown games at the Yale Bowl and Franklin Field next season--this season's road games of note are at Brown and Columbia.

Yale Bowl used to have capacity of 80,000 back in the 1960's. Franklin Field is great to see a game, so long as you don't have a post in front. Close to field, steep pitch.. Seats about 60,000.

bulldog10jw
July 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM
It seemed like an ok area.. but then again I had a parking pass and had my car within direct view on the baseball diamond from the visitors stands.

Subway is another option... take the 1 to 215th Street.

The parking Columbia provides is fine.

I did the train from CT and the subway from Grand Central the first time I ever went to the old Baker Field. Let's just say "never again".

Husky Alum
July 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
I'm going home to New Haven this weekend and have to check out the progress on The Bowl.

Having been an usher at the Bowl as a kid, I don't think there's a bad seat in the house, other than perhaps the first 10 rows or so.

Hey bulldog10jw - Dick Jeynes retired from teaching this past month, thought you might be interested (former Yale assistant baseball coach and head recruiter for Yale baseball, and legendary CT HS baseball coach).

If you've never been to the Yale Bowl and didn't know where it was you could drive by it a few times and miss it.

bulldog10jw
July 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Hey bulldog10jw - Dick Jeynes retired from teaching this past month, thought you might be interested (former Yale assistant baseball coach and head recruiter for Yale baseball, and legendary CT HS baseball coach).

I had Lurch as a history teacher in High School. Good guy. Thanks for the info.

Boy, everyones getting old except me.:)