PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 3

carney2
September 9th, 2012, 08:20 AM
A better than expected 4-2 in Week 2.

Week 3, September 15, 2012: All seven in action for the first time. The Ivy League opponents will be playing their season openers.

Princeton @ LEHIGH* - 56th meeting; Princeton leads 39-14-2; Lehigh has won 10 of last 13
Yale @ GEORGETOWN – 6th meeting; Yale has won all games to date
Sacred Heart @ COLGATE – 1st meeting
Cornell @ FORDHAM – 8th meeting; Cornell leads 4-3; Cornell has won 4 of last 5
Brown @ HOLY CROSS – 58th meeting; Holy Cross leads 32-22-3; Holy Cross has won 4 of last 5
BUCKNELL @ Delaware – 34th meeting; Delaware leads 22-11; 1st meeting since 1985
Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE* - 89th meeting; Penn leads 62-22-4; Lafayette has won 5 of last 6

*The first of two opportunities for a Lehigh-Lafayette day-night double header this year. The second will occur on October 6th.

The Patriot League is 7-4 Year-to-Date vs. OOC:

vs. CAA 1-2
vs. D-2 1-0
vs. MVC 0-1
vs. NEC 3-1
vs. PFL 2-0

STANDINGS:
(Patriot League W-L is listed first, followed by overall W-L)
(These are not the “official” standings because Fordham is included.)

Georgetown 0-0, 2-0
Lehigh 0-0, 2-0
Bucknell 0-0, 1-0
Lafayette 0-0, 1-0
Fordham** 0-0, 1-1
Holy Cross 0-0, 0-1
Colgate 0-0, 0-2

**Ineligible for League championship and auto-bid.

Pard4Life
September 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Week 2: What we learned:

Lehigh - sloppy and inconsistent, but win by predicted result
Gtown - won a tough game agaisnt a good team, can win close games, but Davidson lost to Lenoir-Rhyne 20-2
Colgate - a year without a defense in Hamilton
Bucknell - first game, but Marist is Marist, so a regression for Susan?
Fordham - fought well in close game but lost, may be what we expected: tough in every game
Lafayette - umm, who saw that coming? Pards can play defense again and move the ball, though need to improve on third down.

carney2
September 9th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Princeton @ LEHIGH* - Tigger may be one of the worst teams in all of FCS. Over by halftime.
Yale @ GEORGETOWN – Going with the home team who has played twice vs. the visitors who will be trying things out for the first time. Still not convinced about the Hoyas.
Sacred Heart @ COLGATE – The gaters continue to give up points by the bucket load. This one should be a walk in the park though.
Cornell @ FORDHAM – Another vote for the team with some game experience. The Rams put up a fight last week on the Main Line. Cornell is not a pushover this year.
Brown @ HOLY CROSS – Less convinced about that game experience thing in this one. The Crossers showed next to nothing in the opener. If they do it again here all bets are off for the boys from Woo.
BUCKNELL @ Delaware – People are actually going to pay to see this. Still, a guts scheduling job by the Buffaloes.
Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE* - A confirmation game for the Pards. "Are they that good?" Going with that played a game thing again, but recognizing that Penn will be a real test.

RichH2
September 9th, 2012, 01:27 PM
LU over PU
GU over Y homer call
Gate easy SH
Cornell over FU Matthews too good.
HC over Brown
UD over BU
LC over Penn I truly hate Penn

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Perhaps the best things to come out the LU-CCSU game yesterday? I didn't see a single Hawk player leave the field because of an injury.

Any word on Haggins?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM
About the Penn game: I think it's a gravy game for the Pards. If they win that one, they leap right up there with Georgetown as the top contenders to knock off Lehigh. If they lose a close game, they're still a work-in-progress, but they'll still be in good shape to challenge for the PL title.

If they beat the Quakers, they're Top 25 material. There, I said it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Saw some of the Bucknell video from last night. The Bison definitely look bigger along the OL. Size in the trenches has been their biggest problem the last 7 or 8 years imo. I'll be interested to see how they match-up physically with Delaware.

van
September 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Saw some of the Bucknell video from last night. The Bison definitely look bigger along the OL. Size in the trenches has been their biggest problem the last 7 or 8 years imo. I'll be interested to see how they match-up physically with Delaware.

watched the DU - DSU game yesterday and Hens did not look that good although score was lopsided. None the less, the Tub is a hard place to win at.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
watched the DU - DSU game yesterday and Hens did not look that good although score was lopsided. None the less, the Tub is a hard place to win at.

I got news for you - they didn't look like world-beaters against West Chester either. You can argue that their OOC slate hasn't done much to prepare the Hens for CAA play.

Pard4Life
September 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
About the Penn game: I think it's a gravy game for the Pards. If they win that one, they leap right up there with Georgetown as the top contenders to knock off Lehigh. If they lose a close game, they're still a work-in-progress, but they'll still be in good shape to challenge for the PL title.

If they beat the Quakers, they're Top 25 material. There, I said it.

The Pards are already up there as contenders. I'd also add Fordham per the carney rules.

If we lose to Penn in a close game, it will still be a good omen because they return many of their top personnel. Last year we used our bag of tricks and in 2010, we really should have been shutout. A strong sign would be that our strong teams in the past usually beat Penn in close games, their first of the year. If we can meet that benchmark, things are looking good for the Bison.

Top 25? Get real... are you trying to win my friendship, or apologize for 38-6? I struggled to finally rank Lehigh 25 this week and dropped Penn because Lehigh showed it can still score. The Leopards have a "weak schedule" after that... whereby if they were Lehigh, they would be top 15. At least your reasoning is consistent.

Pard4Life
September 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I forsee:
Lehigh 45, Princeton 10
Princeton 31, Lafayette 28

Pard4Life
September 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Oh, man, Lehigh. I am not looking forward to next week. I would never bet against my team, but we don't even have a puncher's chance. If we get a few sacks and a couple of touchdowns I'm going to say we exceeded expectations.

Now there's the Lafayette spirit! There is hope... of the four games the past two years where I felt we had no shot and would have bet the house, we actually won two.

RichH2
September 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
P4L are you really Carney in disguise? Enjoy the win. In favt lets all enjoy OOC because PL race will be brutal.

Pard4Life
September 9th, 2012, 06:09 PM
P4L are you really Carney in disguise? Enjoy the win. In favt lets all enjoy OOC because PL race will be brutal.

No, I am just a realistic optimist.

You guys are on easy street until 148. The only dilemma is whether you want your cupcakes with cream or strawberry filling. Liberty is looking less like a challenge after losing to Nolfolk St.

RichH2
September 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Bostic will be a superstar in IL, I would prefer if he waits til next yr.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM

I'm sorry, I'm still wondering why it's such a reach to put Lafayette in the Top 25 if they beat a CAA team and a clear contender for the Ivy League title. Especially if the Tribe can bounce back and beat Towson next weekend.

GaelsFootball
September 10th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Princeton @ LEHIGH
Yale @ GEORGETOWN
Sacred Heart @ COLGATE
Cornell @ FORDHAM
Brown @ HOLY CROSS
BUCKNELL @ Delaware
Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE

9-1 on season

dystopiamembrane
September 10th, 2012, 08:22 AM
1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette
3. Bucknell
4. Georgetown
5. Colgate
6. Holy Cross
7. Fordham

Bucknell 14-27 Delaware
Sacred Heart 21-31 Colgate
Cornell 33-24 Fordham
Yale 23-27 Georgetown
Brown 18-17 Holy Cross
Penn 21-28 Lafayette
Princeton 7-35 Lehigh

Sader87
September 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
With the "bye week" almost forgot....4-1 last week.

GTown 24 Wagner 20 Should be a good tilt, edge to the home-squad.

Nova 34 Fordham 17 Fordham's improved but they run into an angry Cat squad.

W&M 33 Lafayette 10 Congrats to the Pards in scheduling this one...but too much Tribe.

South Dakota 28 Colgate 24 Long stagecoach ride hurts the Red Raiders.

Bucknell 17 @Marist 13 In all honesty, I couldn't care less.

Lehigh 20 @C. Conn 17 Engineers sneak out another over a NEC squad.

5-1 this past weekend (9-2 for year), mea maxima culpa Pard fans. Great win, congrats!!!

PAllen
September 10th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Bad week for me last week, but that means the PL did pretty well. This week, I'm going with home teams across the board.

LEHIGH
GEORGETOWN
COLGATE
FORDHAM
HOLY CROSS
Delaware
LAFAYETTE

bluehenbillk
September 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I got news for you - they didn't look like world-beaters against West Chester either. You can argue that their OOC slate hasn't done much to prepare the Hens for CAA play.

Wait till you see our 2013 OOC slate:

DelState
@ Navy
Wagner
Jacksonville

ngineer
September 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
The only problem for Lehigh will be to avoid "looking ahead". Princeton has some talent, but I'd put them in the CCSU category from what I read. LEHIGH 42-14.
Yale at G'town should be a good one. I go with the HOYAS with two games under their belt, 28-17.
Sacred Heart what the cardiologist orders for RAIDERS, 38-24.
Another Ivy team with 'promise' but hasn't played, yet, so I go with the Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" RAMS, 31-27
If the CRUSADERS struggle with the Bruins, it could be long year in Worcester, 35-17.
Kudos to Bucknell for getting into "The Tub" but he BLUE HENS do the splashing, 31-14.
Very interesting game in light of the SPOTTED PUSSIES performance. First game kinks for Penn work in LAUGHYETTE'S favor, 28-21.

van
September 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM
4-2 last week

LEHIGH continues to clean up errors and wins big
GEORGETOWN, going with home team and first game for Eli
COLGATE, at home and hungry
FORDHAM, still believe the Rams are improved and Cornell with first game kinks
HOLY CROSS, not a lot of conviction in this one
Delaware did not look good in first two games, but they should against the Buffs
LAFAYETTE, which Shoop shows up? based on performance against Bill and Mary, but this could go either way

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Mystery game of the week: Fordham/Cornell. Cornell has potentially the best QB/WR combo in the IL this year, but it's their first game, and their first game in quite some time with any sort of expectations. And what did we learn about Fordham last weekend in the weather-delayed game? Not much, I'm afraid.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I don't know what to think of Cornell either, same with Yale, who will be starting a new QB and edged out the Hoyas with a second to go last year.

RichH2
September 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Agree on Cornell Matthews very good. Does Cornell have a D?

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Gotta hand it to carney though, who was on the Shoop train two years ago.

crusader11
September 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
4-2 last week and 8-3 on the young season. For this week...

Princeton @ LEHIGH - The string of cupcakes continue.

Yale @ GEORGETOWN – First year coach Tony Reno gets the Bulldogs off to a good start. Think that Mordecai Cargill is primed to have a big year, especially with the graduation of Patrick Whitt.

Sacred Heart @ COLGATE – 'Gate actually acquitted themselves fairly well out in South Dakota. The Pioneers are just what the doctor ordered to get the Raiders in the win column.

Cornell @ FORDHAM – A real toss up here, in my opinion. I'll take the Rams playing at home.

Brown @ HOLY CROSS – Two weeks to regroup after a tough loss to UNH will help. This game always seems to be a shootout between two pass-happy offenses.

BUCKNELL @ Delaware – Joe Susan's alma mater takes care of the Bison.

Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE - I think we are all, to an extent, are believers after Lafayette's win over W&M.

Looks to be a solid week overall for the Patriot League.

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
4-2 last week, 8-3 overall, feeling good going into Ivy Week

Princeton at Lehigh Lehigh Not sure why I would go against the Hawks in this one. Some kinks appear to have been worked out, and Princeton hardly appears to be a contender of any sort this season

Yale at Georgetown Georgetown The Hoyas struggled a bit last week (though Wagner might be a misleading 0-2), and have never beaten Eli. But, the Yalies are breaking in a new coach, and Georgetown has homefield and 2 games under their belt. I say the Hoyas squeak by at home, running to 3-0

Sacred Heart at Colgate Colgate Home sweet home at last. Strange to not be playing an Ivy on this weekend. The offense still looks potent, though I think they're being hurt slightly by having to go score-for-score with their opponents. They'll look better beating up the Pioneers, so hopefully getting in the wni column helps them out

Cornell at Fordham Fordham I still can't get a read on the Rams, mostly because they've done exactly what I expected. They may yet still be alright, but it's hard to say. It's also hard to say how good Cornell would be, as I'm not really sure that their predicted 3rd place is much more than: who else? That, and I hate Cornell, so go Rams

Brown at Holy Cross Holy Cross Another game I know little about. The Cross got beat up, but New Hampshire is usually a good group. I might lean towards Bruno if I thought they were any good, but with the game in Worcester, we'll see if the Crusaders can pull it off

Bucknell at Delaware Delaware Even if I were on the Bison Bandwagon (which I am not), I still wouldn't pick them in the Tub. Good luck to the Susan crew, hope you enjoy Newark. Still a lot of question marks over the Bisons' overall place, though a good showing couldn't hurt them overall

Pennsylvania at Lafayette Lafayette Great win for the Pards, but I know better than to trust them in back to back weeks. Or do I? Leopards might have something, or could still be terrible, but Penn has yet to play a game. Oh Lafayette, I hate myself for picking you

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
5-1 last week, 9-2 on the year

Colgate 42 Sacred Heart 24 : The Raiders should have too much offense for SHU

Delaware 31 Bucknell 14: The Bison will hang with the Hens and make this a respectable game

Yale 24 Georgetown 14: I'm not sure if the Hoyas can generate enough offense to beat the Eli

Fordham 27 Cornell 24: On paper these two are very evenly matched. I'll go with the team that has played a couple games

Holy Cross 28 Brown 24: This should be an excellent game. Honestly, I don't have the slightest clue. I'll be a homer and take the PL team

Penn 30 Lafayette 24: Lafayette upset the Quakers last year in Philly. I think Penn returns the favor in Easton. Even in defeat Lafayette proves they'll be in the race all year

Lehigh 30 Princeton 10: Lehigh never, ever runs the Tigers off the field not matter how good or bad each are. The Tigers might have the best DL Lehigh faces.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I don't like this... everyone is picking Lafayette. This is a curse game after all and the ingredients are here for a letdown. In 2007, we were 3-0 with an upset win over Penn before we had a letdown against Princeton. We opened 2-0 in 2006 and were ranked before losing to Penn at the new Fisher opening... the Pards played one game and we've had a bad history... Id like to see a larger sample size before believing just yet.

ColgateTD
September 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Lehigh, 32-14 - should be a cakewalk with it being the Tigers first game.
G-town, 28-17 - Yale's first game.
Fordham, 21-10 - Cornell's first game
Holy Cross, 23-17 - Brown's first game
Blue Hens - 32-16 - Bison not up to task,... yet.
Pards, 17-13 - Leopards should be playing the likes of 'Bama and USC based on last week's results
Colgate, 36-17 - much needed win for Biddle and Co.

8-3 so far

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I don't like this... everyone is picking Lafayette. This is a curse game after all and the ingredients are here for a letdown. In 2007, we were 3-0 with an upset win over Penn before we had a letdown against Princeton. We opened 2-0 in 2006 and were ranked before losing to Penn at the new Fisher opening... the Pards played one game and we've had a bad history... Id like to see a larger sample size before believing just yet.

Not being snarky, but +1. Let's just say it's a game I very much have my eyes on this weekend.

jimbo65
September 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Lehigh over Princeton easily

Yale over Gtown, I'm still not convinced

Colgate big time over Sacre Coeur

Fordham over big red by a TD or FG

Holy Cross over Brown

Hens rock Bison. Hard to pick a school whose nickname is the Blue Hens.

LaFayette over Penn. Actually don't have a clue so I'll pick PL team

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Not being snarky, but +1. Let's just say it's a game I very much have my eyes on this weekend.

It's clearly the PL game of the week, in the appropriate prime time slot. You should make your way over to Easton, or catch it at home on LSN.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Cheat sheet... Massey says:

LC 28, Penn 21
Delaware 27, Bucknell 14
Lehigh 35, Princeton 7
Georgetown 27, Yale 23
Cornell 33, Fordham 24
Brown 18, Holy Cross 17
Colgate 31, Sacred Heart 21

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Carney: here is your proof that Lehigh plays a cupcake schedule this year, not like you needed one anyhow... http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4024&s=181623

Bonus... my calculations:
Odds of an undefeated Lehigh campaign: 17.8%
Odds of Lehigh entering 148 undefeated: 26.2%

Odds of an undefeated Lafayette campaign: 1.7%
Odds of LC entering 148 undefeated: 5.5%

Odds of an undefeated Lafayette and Lehigh meeting: .31%

LUHawker
September 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Carney: here is your proof that Lehigh plays a cupcake schedule this year, not like you needed one anyhow... http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4024&s=181623

Bonus... my calculations:
Odds of an undefeated Lehigh campaign: 17.8%
Odds of Lehigh entering 148 undefeated: 26.2%

Odds of an undefeated Lafayette campaign: 1.7%
Odds of LC entering 148 undefeated: 5.5%

Odds of an undefeated Lafayette and Lehigh meeting: .31%

Get over the cupcake schedule already. How many years did LC play PU and Columbia, plus Marist. We all know Lehigh's schedule is light this year, although Monmouth may prove to be a legit player. Besides, these odds say more about Lehigh than they do the competition.

Even after having a marquee win, you're still more obsessed with Lehigh.

carney2
September 11th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Obsessed is a bit strong. Let's just say that we think of you every time we flush.

carney2
September 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It's clearly the PL game of the week, in the appropriate prime time slot. You should make your way over to Easton, or catch it at home on LSN.

Forget that. This is a doubleheader opportunity.

Princeton @ ChickenSquawks 12:30

Pennsylvania @ Lafayette 6:00

10-12-15 miles apart. Do it.

The weather looks good and if it holds I hope to be at both.

Ivytalk
September 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Penn
Delaware
Lehigh
Georgetown
Cornell
Holy Cross
Colgate

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Of course! My method is that I drive up just as the game is starting, listen to the radio... sit in the lot until the first half ends, then enter the stadium for free, because I refuse to pay money to their athletic factory. You can easily make it over for Easton for the 4:00 tailgates.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Get over the cupcake schedule already. How many years did LC play PU and Columbia, plus Marist. We all know Lehigh's schedule is light this year, although Monmouth may prove to be a legit player. Besides, these odds say more about Lehigh than they do the competition.

When you are projected to win several games in the high-80s, 90s... that's a cupcake schedule, and Lehigh is not Alabama.

Marist: everyone needs a warm-up... and everyone does it: 2003-2005, 2007, 2008. Princeton was not a cupcake when we played them and they will never be a cupcake to us. Columbia was at best average some years and gave us a game a few times.. but at most, we only faced two OOC cupcakes per year. And, hen Eve Atkinson scheduled Columbia for the decade, we were on the doorstep of D-III.

Southsider
September 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Hell, why not one more......LC by ten 24-14. I hope I'm right. I really do!!

Southsider
September 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Of course! My method is that I drive up just as the game is starting, listen to the radio... sit in the lot until the first half ends, then enter the stadium for free, because I refuse to pay money to their athletic factory. You can easily make it over for Easton for the 4:00 tailgates.

So, after LC ramps up with schollies and strings together a few nice seasons I guess you will be hitching your wagon to Moravian??

van
September 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM

Well Carney, if you're coming over to Goodman, stop by the King of Tailgates and have a brew. We probably even have an extra ticket.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM
So, after LC ramps up with schollies and strings together a few nice seasons I guess you will be hitching your wagon to Moravian??

No I was referring to Lehigh.

carney2
September 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Well Carney, if you're coming over to Goodman, stop by the King of Tailgates and have a brew. We probably even have an extra ticket.

"The King of Tailgates." Intriguing, but preliminary plans call for the day game tailgate at the Crossroads Hotel. If we break free however, we shall wander through the parking area looking for the royal accoutrements. Thanks for the hospitality.

ngineer
September 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
"The King of Tailgates." Intriguing, but preliminary plans call for the day game tailgate at the Crossroads Hotel. If we break free however, we shall wander through the parking area looking for the royal accoutrements. Thanks for the hospitality.

Spot is located near the traffic circle and Rust Family Football Pavillion, just inside the paved parking lot off the driveway. Flag pole alongside the driveway has "King of Tailgates" banner.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Lehigh over Princeton easily

Yale over Gtown, I'm still not convinced

Colgate big time over Sacre Coeur

Fordham over big red by a TD or FG

Holy Cross over Brown

Hens rock Bison. Hard to pick a school whose nickname is the Blue Hens.

LaFayette over Penn. Actually don't have a clue so I'll pick PL team

From your lips to the Big Guy's ears. A win would be nice after surrendering 71 the first two weeks. xprayx

RichH2
September 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
BASSETTS
LU -PU 38-10
Gate SH 35-24
Brown - HC 24-17
Y - GU 24-17
Penn-LC 24-21
Cornell-FU 28-24

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Princeton game release....who wrote this? A Camden JC drop out?

The oldest college football program in the nation will embark on its 144th season of college football when it heads to Goodman Stadium in Easton, Pa., to take on reigning Patriot League champion Lehigh Sept. 15 at 12:30 pm.

Current Streak: Lehigh 1

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46859&SPID=4263&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205682734&DB_OEM_ID=10600

I have a feeling their defense is going to be tough. Their front 7 is huge!!

carney2
September 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have a feeling their defense is going to be tough. Their front 7 is huge!!

Here we go again: "This cupcake might have nuts in it. I'm really worried."

Get over it. Just another week at the Cupcake of the Week Club.

Oh yeah, a note to Babar. It will be a blowout. Over early and over often. Feel free to resume your tailgate at halftime even though you will not be readmitted to the stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Oh yeah, a note to Babar. It will be a blowout. Over early and over often. Feel free to resume your tailgate at halftime even though you will not be readmitted to the stadium.

I think Lehigh will pull away at the end but for 2.5 quarters the Tigers will be a headache.

Princeton was 1-9 the last two years yet Lehigh only won by 13 and 12 points respectively.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM
We're going to put Colvin on his back early and often.

And just for that I hope Penn embarrasses you, as much as it pains me to root for those dudes in anything, against anybody.

That's carney being carney... resident AGS and Lafayette curmudgeon and realist.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM
BASSETTS
LU -PU 38-10
Gate SH 35-24
Brown - HC 24-17
Y - GU 24-17
Penn-LC 24-21
Cornell-FU 28-24

Quite a swing... Massey says LC 7, Bassets has Penn 3. Bassets is more realistic IMO.

carney2
September 12th, 2012, 02:23 PM

And just for that I hope Penn embarrasses you, as much as it pains me to root for those dudes in anything, against anybody.

Another admirer wishing me well. I bask in the glow.

Really, Mr. B., it's hard to make a case for the Princetons against anyone except maybe Columbia which has been a bottom feeder since the Van Buren administration and Lafayette where the football gods intervene to have their jollies. Consider:

The Tigers have been really bad for two years.
They lost their biggest offensive threat to a non-football medical problem.
Any influx of talent would almost have to be freshmen playing in their first college game.

It's hard to build a "we'll play 'em tough" dossier out of that, especially when you are going against an undefeated team that has been to the playoffs the last two years, and the game is in their stadium.

If I'm missing something please fill in the blanks.

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I don't get the Penn love here. We have played very well against Penn lately. We beat them big last year at Frankin Field and we stunk last year. I think we beat Penn again, although it will be a close game.

Princeton is different. They will inexplicably kick our tail like usual. Not for a second do I think we will beat Princeton.

van
September 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Better pack a lunch, tackling Colvin is like tackling a line backer, oh and if he gets past the front seven better warn the little corners and safeties to grab some turf.

carney2
September 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Not telling anyone anything they don't know, but there are 4 pick 'em games this week:

Yale @ Georgetown
Cornell @ Fordham
Brown @ Holy Cross
Penn @ Lafayette

Any of them could end up a blowout, but I wouldn't feel comfortable risking even a farthing on any of the 8 teams at this point.

RichH2
September 12th, 2012, 02:49 PM
They may get Colvn a couple of times but they wont stop Barket or Sherman. Spadola 11 catches 170yds

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
They may get Colvn a couple of times but they wont stop Barket or Sherman. Spadola 11 catches 170yds

I'm expecting a big screen day. Get those big Princeton defenders moving around.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Not telling anyone anything they don't know, but there are 4 pick 'em games this week:

Yale @ Georgetown
Cornell @ Fordham
Brown @ Holy Cross
Penn @ Lafayette

Any of them could end up a blowout, but I wouldn't feel comfortable risking even a farthing on any of the 8 teams at this point.

Betting a farthing on Cornell@Fordham would be the sign of a serious gambling problem. Really. Isn't the safer bet taking JMU to cover anyway?

van
September 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
All of this is true. So here's the optimist's case: two bad years doesn't necessarily point to a third. A culture of losing can become self-sustaining, but we're a long way from a culture of losing. I'd say the last two years point to coaching change, rebuilding, and player development. We're like...the Tennessee of the Ivy League. Long story short, we DO have tremendous sophomores and freshman with good chances of seeing the field, and we've kept key seniors who are much stronger than was the team as a whole last year.

We've been down because of terrible recruiting under Hughes, and that's getting much, much better. On the basis of recruited talent alone, we should see an upswing as more of Surace's players see the field. Our programs are peculiarly sensitive to the ability of the upperclassmen, since we don't have transfers or redshirts, and we can't recruit the Jevon Kearses who are physically mature at 18. Besides recruiting, our player development should see us improved on offense and defense this year. Consider:

DiBilio's being replaced by a committee, but the primus inter pares in that committee is Akil Smith, a talented senior who would have started last year except that DiBilio was so exceptional. He has a good yard-per-carry record, more physical maturity than last year, and can protect the ball. RB is the big loss everybody's aware of, but it's not nearly as big a hole as everybody imagines. We're not handing off to an undersized, inexperienced rookie every other play. We're handing off to a veteran with natural ability who had the misfortune of being behind the best running back in the Ivy League in 2011.

Surace has actually kept the QB choice under wraps for a reason, and there's a chance we'll see something really special. Whether it's Quinn Epperly or Kedric Bostic, the QB will obviously be more athletic than Wornham. Kedric Bostic, in particular, is the sort of player the Ivy League rarely gets. He could be redshirting in a power FBS conference right now. Lehigh will be forced to consider the run threat on every play.

Our D-line, which was really the best part of the team, got stronger over the offseason. Catapano lost fat. Reid added muscle. They all know each other and they're now as physically imposing as they will be in their college careers. We're not going to be outsized or outskilled by Lehigh's O-line - in fact, there will be a couple of clear mismatches in our favor.

Cloud's a good enough punter that we're not going to be starting from behind in terms of field position. In fact, Lehigh will probably have a extra yards to gain every drive. Our special teams in general may not be explosive, but those talented freshman and sophomores we reference above can have a bigger impact there than anywhere else.

Goss and the rest of the O-line may have some weaknesses, but if Lehigh couldn't choke out our offense last year, they're not going to be able to choke us out this year, with more experience and depth on that line. In years past our 2-deep on the line (and at skill positions, sadly) included players who had D-III level talent. This year our 2-deep on the line (and at QB!) includes players who had legitimate scholarship opportunities at other D-I schools.

Lehigh's a strong team, with tested playmakers, and expected to win for good reasons. I expect them to win. There's no hiding the fact that our secondary is the weakest part of our defense, that our WRs and TE's don't include any really special playmakers, that we don't have a tested FG threat, and that all this adds up to it being really hard to keep up in a points race. Nor is there hiding all the big-picture intangibles that point to Lehigh: home field, more prior practices, more prior games. But if we can establish a strong pass rush and take away the run, forcing Lehigh to dink-and-dunk their way up the field, and if we can get some TFLs and force a few turnovers, we're going to be able to get into the endzone often enough to make it a game.

/end optimist position.

Excellent summary, no argument here. reminds me of what Lehigh fans were saying about 3 years ago.

RichH2
September 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Babar
Good for you , fans s/b optimistic. Colvin very mobile so pass rush not a big threat your back 7 quite weak. Your LBs have good size , flares and screens will be tough for them. Expect a tough battle for 1st half then LU will pull away. No rout.

crusader11
September 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Andy Cohen on the Princeton game: "This is a scary game, it really is."

This is probably nothing more than coachspeak. I envision a 27-10 kind of score in favor of Lehigh.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
That's a pretty good summary Babar... I agree Princeton is not as hopeless as most people make them out to be, but if you guys gel, it will be mid-season... or during the Lafayette game.

CFBfan
September 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM
All of this is true. So here's the optimist's case: two bad years doesn't necessarily point to a third. A culture of losing can become self-sustaining, but we're a long way from a culture of losing. I'd say the last two years point to coaching change, rebuilding, and player development. We're like...the Tennessee of the Ivy League. Long story short, we DO have tremendous sophomores and freshman with good chances of seeing the field, and we've kept key seniors who are much stronger than was the team as a whole last year.

We've been down because of terrible recruiting under Hughes, and that's getting much, much better. On the basis of recruited talent alone, we should see an upswing as more of Surace's players see the field. Our programs are peculiarly sensitive to the ability of the upperclassmen, since we don't have transfers or redshirts, and we can't recruit the Jevon Kearses who are physically mature at 18. Besides recruiting, our player development should see us improved on offense and defense this year. Consider:

DiBilio's being replaced by a committee, but the primus inter pares in that committee is Akil Smith, a talented senior who would have started last year except that DiBilio was so exceptional. He has a good yard-per-carry record, more physical maturity than last year, and can protect the ball. RB is the big loss everybody's aware of, but it's not nearly as big a hole as everybody imagines. We're not handing off to an undersized, inexperienced rookie every other play. We're handing off to a veteran with natural ability who had the misfortune of being behind the best running back in the Ivy League in 2011.

Surace has actually kept the QB choice under wraps for a reason, and there's a chance we'll see something really special. Whether it's Quinn Epperly or Kedric Bostic, the QB will obviously be more athletic than Wornham. Kedric Bostic, in particular, is the sort of player the Ivy League rarely gets. He could be redshirting in a power FBS conference right now. Lehigh will be forced to consider the run threat on every play.

Our D-line, which was really the best part of the team, got stronger over the offseason. Catapano lost fat. Reid added muscle. They all know each other and they're now as physically imposing as they will be in their college careers. We're not going to be outsized or outskilled by Lehigh's O-line - in fact, there will be a couple of clear mismatches in our favor.

Cloud's a good enough punter that we're not going to be starting from behind in terms of field position. In fact, Lehigh will probably have a extra yards to gain every drive. Our special teams in general may not be explosive, but those talented freshman and sophomores we reference above can have a bigger impact there than anywhere else.

Goss and the rest of the O-line may have some weaknesses, but if Lehigh couldn't choke out our offense last year, they're not going to be able to choke us out this year, with more experience and depth on that line. In years past our 2-deep on the line (and at skill positions, sadly) included players who had D-III level talent. This year our 2-deep on the line (and at QB!) includes players who had legitimate scholarship opportunities at other D-I schools.

Lehigh's a strong team, with tested playmakers, and expected to win for good reasons. I expect them to win. There's no hiding the fact that our secondary is the weakest part of our defense, that our WRs and TE's don't include any really special playmakers, that we don't have a tested FG threat, and that all this adds up to it being really hard to keep up in a points race. Nor is there hiding all the big-picture intangibles that point to Lehigh: home field, more prior practices, more prior games. But if we can establish a strong pass rush and take away the run, forcing Lehigh to dink-and-dunk their way up the field, and if we can get some TFLs and force a few turnovers, we're going to be able to get into the endzone often enough to make it a game.

/end optimist position.

Very nice to see an avid Princeton football fan!!

Engineer86
September 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Carney, you have it wrong. You can tailgate at halftime and get back in the game. The only game that you can't do that for is the one that it didn't matter to me, at least last year. You remember that fiasco last fall!!xlolxxtroublex

It was disappointing the none of the Laffers would tell me the score of the game as they snuck out early.

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Better pack a lunch, tackling Colvin is like tackling a line backer, oh and if he gets past the front seven better warn the little corners and safeties to grab some turf.

He also throws like a linebacker.

van
September 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Check back on Nov 17.

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Check back on Nov 17.

Lehigh should have another good year, but it won't be due to Colvin's wobbly, wounded ducks.

On the other hand our QB has a rocket arm and sometimes closes his eyes before delivering the ball.

carney2
September 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM

/end optimist position.

Don't know if you sold me but you made a case. Nicely done. Just confirmed an hour ago that I will be there. I will not be cheering against Lehigh, but I will be pro-Princeton. I can't stand to see the ghosts of Kazmaier, Iacavazzi and Elias treated the way they've been the last few years.

Engineer86
September 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Unfortunately you are correct

heath
September 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Lehigh should have another good year, but it won't be due to Colvin's wobbly, wounded ducks.

On the other hand our QB has a rocket arm and sometimes closes his eyes before delivering the ball.
That's not good to close your eyesxlolx.Peaking in at the PL is SSSOOOO predictable. One school with such an inferiority complex towards another that when the wind blows east from LU that Pard dicks get hard and agitated. Can't wait until NOV. so the really STRONG nerd talk begins. Don't forget to use the word "safety" and "turd" ,but most of all PLEASE go back and forth about the academics.(include the bridge story again for the new members)
Hope you both win......wobbly and rocketxthumbsupx

Sader87
September 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Why, beside the purple blood coursing through my body, do I think that HC will absolutely blow out Brown this week?

Just a gut feeling but I think the Saders are due for a "statement type" game result.

Pfan90
September 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM

/end optimist position.

Just joining the conversation. Have been following the Princeton program for a few years on here but just thought I would throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. You give a good summary. Most of which I've read on the new Princeton Football Blog. I noticed you've put some links up to it so you've been reading it, too. It's nice to have found another supporter of Princeton Football. I think I'm a little more optimistic about the program. Will we win versus Lehigh? That's going to be a tough one. Lehigh has the edge. They have a solid program. It's going to be a tough game for us right out of the box.

I'm not quite sure why you are pushing the Bostic freshman in so many of your posts. If Princeton decides to start the Bostic kid, it's like we are giving up on the season. The poor kid just arrived on campus a month ago from a small 2A school with very little competition. While I'm sure he was comparatively talented in high school, the level of play, pace of play and schemes are quite different at the college level. That's why you don't see many true freshman at the QB position be successful.

Let's shore up our secondary, improve our receiving corp and get our passing game on track. I think we will have a much improved season. Cheers!

RichH2
September 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM
You are probably right on Bostic but he will be very very good. I expect coach will get hom PT with his own ltd package and build from there. Betcha he is your starter for the 2nd half of the season.

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Sportsbook:

Harvard (-21) vs San Diego

Columbia (-1) vs Marist

Lehigh (-28) vs Princeton

Georgetown (-5) vs Yale

Brown (-1) at Holy Cross

Colgate (-11½) vs Sacred Heart

Cornell (-7) at Fordham

Delaware (-17) vs Bucknell

Lafayette (-7) vs Penn

Dartmouth (-13) vs Butler

eiu1999
September 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Penn
Delaware
Lehigh
Yale
Cornell
Holy Cross
Colgate

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
People are writing off Sacred Heart a little bit quickly for my tastes. They very nearly knocked off Morgan State Week 1 and have had two weeks to prepare against Colgate's admittedly evolving defense. I smell a shootout in that game, and a shootout might not exactly favor the silver-skinned Raiders.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
People are writing off Sacred Heart a little bit quickly for my tastes. They very nearly knocked off Morgan State Week 1 and have had two weeks to prepare against Colgate's admittedly evolving defense. I smell a shootout in that game, and a shootout might not exactly favor the silver-skinned Raiders.

If Colgate can't beat SHU they might not win a game. I think they'll come out focused at home.

bulldog10jw
September 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
If Colgate can't beat SHU they might not win a game. I think they'll come out focused at home.

Don't forget, Colgate still has Yale on the schedule so even if they don't beat SHU they have another good shot at a W at the Bowl.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Delaware- First of five road games this season where the Bison are gonna be double-digit 'dogs. The Hens are not gonna be the upset, but somebody might be.
Lehigh-This love given PU football... I hope it carries people through this season. Bison football in the recent lean years seemed to miss out on all that PL affection.
Lafayette- Dystopia redeemed
Fordham- I am jump-starting the inevitable Cornell cynicism.
Holy Cross- I drank the Kool-Aid for the UNH game. Barkeep, make it purple again....
Colgate- The Raiders played pretty well with an MVFC team last week a thousand miles away from... anyone on this thread, except for maybe the Lehigh TU Owl (900 miles) and me (959).
Georgetown-- Yale seems to have a few questions to answer and Georgetown has answered some.

Pard4Life
September 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Last week: 5-1 (lost Lafayette), 10-1 overall.

Lehigh 35, Princeton 10... Babar convinced me to keep this game in the 30s, not the 40s
Georgetown 24, Elohim (as they like to think of themselves I'm sure) 21... Yale won this game in the last minute last year. New coach, new QB for the Yalies. Hoyas are deep with experience, at home, and ready to extract revenge.
Colgate 34, Sacred Heart 21... Raiders will either make them toothpaste or become toothpaste
Fordham 28, SUNY-Ithaca 24... I've read alot about Cornell, but I also believe in Fordham, a scholarship team that competed well at Villanova until things went sour. Too much offense for the Big Red machine to stop.
Brown 21, Fightin Fittons 20... no opinion, toss-up against evenly matched teams. Hard to know if Holy Cross has their offensive act together.
Delaware 42, Bucknell 14... Over early, over often.

GAME OF THE WEEK: Penn 21, Lafayette 17... The Pards had a tremendous win against WM last week, and everyone seems overconfident. I don't know about the mentality of the team, but they are a young team. Young teams grow in fits and starts by looking stellar one week and inconsistent the next. Penn has powerful, multi-demensional weapons that Lafayette did not face against WM: a mobile QB and a powerful running attack. More seasoned Pard teams struggled against that prototype in Colgate. Penn is also experienced on defense and has a strong OL. Plus, has everyone forgot about the Ivy curse? And that we embarrassed them last year? The curse rears its ugly head again: it's a perfect storm.

Pard4Life
September 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Sportsbook:

Harvard (-21) vs San Diego

Columbia (-1) vs Marist

Lehigh (-28) vs Princeton

Georgetown (-5) vs Yale

Brown (-1) at Holy Cross

Colgate (-11½) vs Sacred Heart

Cornell (-7) at Fordham

Delaware (-17) vs Bucknell

Lafayette (-7) vs Penn

Dartmouth (-13) vs Butler

Ben Franklin on LSD... hate that Penn mascot.

Pard4Life
September 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Did the fired Colgate mascot get a new job??

http://www.alumni.upenn.edu/becounted/images/quaker_mascot_pointing.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kRxEEhBY_jE/SqNL5MvvikI/AAAAAAAAAlo/kFXkYqdpayY/creepy%20ass%20raider.jpg

They should have just stuck with this: http://neilfein.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/01-quaker_old.jpg?w=387&h=258

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I was going to use this avatar, but this is a family board, after all:

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/5286/quakereatme.png

There's also my dalliance from last season. You guys can figure this one out:

carney2
September 14th, 2012, 07:58 AM
This was my original prediction

Pennsylvania @ LAFAYETTE - A confirmation game for the Pards. "Are they that good?" Going with that played a game thing again, but recognizing that Penn will be a real test.

Pard4Life has convinced me and I'm changing my position:

A young team that thinks they've accomplished something and may be a little smug vs. an experienced team that has a lot to prove and knows that each week is a new challenge - in a Curse game. PENN by less than a touchdown.

ColgateTD
September 14th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Did the fired Colgate mascot get a new job??

http://www.alumni.upenn.edu/becounted/images/quaker_mascot_pointing.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kRxEEhBY_jE/SqNL5MvvikI/AAAAAAAAAlo/kFXkYqdpayY/creepy%20ass%20raider.jpg

They should have just stuck with this: http://neilfein.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/01-quaker_old.jpg?w=387&h=258

Penn can have him AFAIC. Geesh...how could the Red Raiders come up with such a lame mascot?

Sader87
September 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Sense a trend...our Crusader has morphed/evolved into "Marvin the Martian"

Sader87
September 14th, 2012, 12:24 PM
And now for this week's picks....talk about you "home-field" advantage, 6 of 7 tilts this weekend are on the hallowed grounds of Patriot League campuses. 5-1 last week, 9-2 on the campaign thus far.

Lehigh 31 Princeton 13 Ol' Nassau usually hangs around in this one but Dick Kazmeier is not walking through that locker room door this weekend.

GTown 24 Yale 13 Hoyas with 2 weeks under them, Eli with a frosh QB.

Colgate 31 Sacred Heart 27 If the Red Raiders don't get this one in Hamilton, it could be a LONG season.

Fordham 23 Cornell 20 Another potentially close contest...I'll go with the Rams in the Bronx.

HC 34 Brown 17 Break-out game for the Saders.

Delaware 35 Bucknell 13 Hats off to the Bison for scheduling this one but just too much Fightin' Blue Hens.

Lafayette 27 Penn 24 The dream season continues for the Pards...if only for another week anyway.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Colgate 27, Sacred Heart 16

Lehigh 27, Princeton 10

Holy Cross 23, Brown 17

Fordham 33, Cornell 14

Lafayette 14, Pennsylvania 13

Georgetown 22, Yale 20

Delaware 31, Bucknell 7

Go...gate
September 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM
With only four home games, the Raider is moonlighting.

Pard4Life
September 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM
How come everyone in the PL except Lafayette and Boston U have god-awful mascots?

American: http://cdn204.psbin.com/img/mw=400/cr=n/0gt1jk14mru7hjsv.jpg

Army (dwarf): http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/4981440990_ff06eb070e.jpg

Bucknell: http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/790/263/4358141570_3e62a1f493_display_image.jpg?1300166223

Colgate (above post)

Fordham: http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2009/04/homecoming1.jpg

Holy Cross (UGG boots???) http://cdn204.psbin.com/img/mw=300/cr=y/drbmuh2yi9djzech.jpg

Navy: Bill the Goat http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/BillTheGoat.JPG/220px-BillTheGoat.JPG

Lehigh (hunchback??): http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/info/history/MHawkMascot.jpg

Georgetown (not sure if he's either Sweet-ums from the Muppets or the Wampa from Star Wars): http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/796/708/109902661_display_image.jpg?1300451121

Boston U: http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1784982/GYI0063990994.jpg

Loyola: http://pictures.replayphotos.com/images/LOY/md/loyola-university-traditions-greyhound-greyhounds-mascot-loy-t-grey-00001md.jpg

Lafayette: http://www.trbimg.com/img-4f92ffd7/turbine/mc-afayettesmaroonwhite-04212012-pictures-023/600

Pard4Life
September 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I was going to use this avatar, but this is a family board, after all:

There's also my dalliance from last season. You guys can figure this one out:

That's Penn State cheering 101 Bogie...

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Georgetown (not sure if he's either Sweet-ums from the Muppets or the Wampa from Star Wars)

The kid in a costume is not the mascot. This is the mascot:

http://blog.georgetownvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Picture-71.png

Pard4Life
September 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
The kid in a costume is not the mascot. This is the mascot:

http://blog.georgetownvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Picture-71.png

That captures it well... his countenance is that of a typical Georgetown football fan.

Fordham
September 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Colgate 27, Sacred Heart 16

Lehigh 27, Princeton 10

Holy Cross 23, Brown 17

Fordham 33, Cornell 14

Lafayette 14, Pennsylvania 13

Georgetown 22, Yale 20

Delaware 31, Bucknell 7

I'll have what he's having except give me a 'Bison win, please

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I actually think the PL has some really good mascots.The only ones that I find weak are HC, American and Loyola. Army Kangaroo with a six pack? Gnarly Bison? The meanest looking ankle biting Terrier? I like 'em...

I'm pretty sure the Mountain Hawk's name is "Clutch".

From a phone...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 14th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Went 4-2 last week, missing bad on Lafayette, and missing Georgetown - on that game, I got the type of game just right, but the wrong result. 9-2 on the year.

Lehigh 30, Princeton 3. Read why here (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/game-3-breakdown-princeton-at-lehigh.html).

Sacred Heart 35, Colgate 32. I can't believe for the life of me why folks here aren't more concerned about this game, especially since the Pioneers' calling card is offense, and Colgate hasn't found a defense yet.

Holy Cross 24, Brown 16. For some reason, Brown can't beat Holy Cross in Woo.

Cornell 37, Fordham 13. People just don't realize how good Cornell actually is. Not saying they'll win the IL, but they'll have plenty to knock over the Rams.

Pennsylvania 17, Lafayette 6. Playing on Carney's hunch that the Cubs are not quite ready yet.

Georgetown 24, Yale 10. I'm convinced. At least, convinced Georgetown will beat Yale handily.

Delaware 30, Bucknell 21. Will be a lot closer than people think, not least because Delaware is not nearly as good as people think.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 15th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Delaware 30, Bucknell 21. Will be a lot closer than people think, not least because Delaware is not nearly as good as people think.

A lot of the issues so far have been because Delaware has been trying to find the best combination of OL and LB starters. The OL is young this year, and 3 of the 4 best LBs had season ending injuries prior to the start of the season. During the Del State game Delaware tried out a base 3-2-5 defense for the first time, trying to capitalize on the deep and experienced DB corp, but with the newness of the system and some timid play by the DBs, Del State was able to put up some impressive passing numbers. On the bright side, with just three D linemen, Delaware effectively shut down DSU's running game.

Supposedly the final OL starting lineup has been finalized, though I expect we'll still see a little bit of experimentation on defense trying to figure out how to best use the personnel available.

On the offense side of things, AP has been shaking off some cobwebs due to missing a lot of practice due to injury, and Hurley has started his first two games of his college career. Both showed improvement vs. DSU, with AP breaking a few more runs and Hurley taking a lot better care of the ball. FWIW Keeler thinks very highly of DSU's D-line, and mentioned that it might be the strongest D-Line the Hens will see all year.

I believe the 'struggles' thus far that UD has experienced have been mainly due to inconsistency and failure to actualize on the full potential of various players. There is a ton of talent in this team, and there have been some brilliant plays against both opponents thus far. What will determine the course of this season will be how well the team can learn from the mistakes and missteps and 'turn it on' for more than a few plays at a time.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2012, 12:40 AM
A lot of the issues so far have been because Delaware has been trying to find the best combination of OL and LB starters. The OL is young this year, and 3 of the 4 best LBs had season ending injuries prior to the start of the season. During the Del State game Delaware tried out a base 3-2-5 defense for the first time, trying to capitalize on the deep and experienced DB corp, but with the newness of the system and some timid play by the DBs, Del State was able to put up some impressive passing numbers. On the bright side, with just three D linemen, Delaware effectively shut down DSU's running game.

Supposedly the final OL starting lineup has been finalized, though I expect we'll still see a little bit of experimentation on defense trying to figure out how to best use the personnel available.

On the offense side of things, AP has been shaking off some cobwebs due to missing a lot of practice due to injury, and Hurley has started his first two games of his college career. Both showed improvement vs. DSU, with AP breaking a few more runs and Hurley taking a lot better care of the ball. FWIW Keeler thinks very highly of DSU's D-line, and mentioned that it might be the strongest D-Line the Hens will see all year.

I believe the 'struggles' thus far that UD has experienced have been mainly due to inconsistency and failure to actualize on the full potential of various players. There is a ton of talent in this team, and there have been some brilliant plays against both opponents thus far. What will determine the course of this season will be how well the team can learn from the mistakes and missteps and 'turn it on' for more than a few plays at a time.

Sounds a bit, oddly enough, like Lehigh, and all points well taken.

ngineer
September 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Sounds a bit, oddly enough, like Lehigh, and all points well taken.

I was thinking the same thing as I read his post. Most teams do some 'experimentation' in the early games to see what 'clicks' better than others in terms of combinations as well as completing some 'auditions' for starting postitions that weren't solidified in camp. But this is the last week for that stuff. Many people, myself included, tend to look down on Princeton right now due to their past two very bad seasons. But there is no denyng they have stud defensive front that could give us fits. If we can move the ball well today that will say somethng.

Pard4Life
September 15th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Went 4-2 last week, missing bad on Lafayette, and missing Georgetown - on that game, I got the type of game just right, but the wrong result. 9-2 on the year.

Lehigh 30, Princeton 3. Read why here (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/09/game-3-breakdown-princeton-at-lehigh.html).

Sacred Heart 35, Colgate 32. I can't believe for the life of me why folks here aren't more concerned about this game, especially since the Pioneers' calling card is offense, and Colgate hasn't found a defense yet.

Cornell 37, Fordham 13. People just don't realize how good Cornell actually is. Not saying they'll win the IL, but they'll have plenty to knock over the Rams.

Pennsylvania 17, Lafayette 6. Playing on Carney's hunch that the Cubs are not quite ready yet.

Georgetown 24, Yale 10. I'm convinced. At least, convinced Georgetown will beat Yale handily.

Lafayette 6?? Again, that is an absolute insult and the most lopsided pick here. I can give reasons why but you will get yours when the time comes.

Princeton 3 is also an insult, especially after Babar gave a solid review.

Pards Rule
September 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Pards will score more than 6! Im going to the game and thats worth 7!!!

Sader87
September 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
We absolutely withered down the stretch....up 21-10 going into the 4th, we fell apart defensively, losing 24-21...very disheartening loss.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Geesh. Even when I was right I was wrong this week. 2-5, and about the only statement that was right was in regards to the Delaware game.

ColgateTD
September 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
We all agreed that LU-Princeton and LC-Penn would be close and could go either way. Well, it happened. Break up the Leopards I say!

Sader87
September 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM
And now for this week's picks....talk about you "home-field" advantage, 6 of 7 tilts this weekend are on the hallowed grounds of Patriot League campuses. 5-1 last week, 9-2 on the campaign thus far.

Lehigh 31 Princeton 13 Ol' Nassau usually hangs around in this one but Dick Kazmeier is not walking through that locker room door this weekend.

GTown 24 Yale 13 Hoyas with 2 weeks under them, Eli with a frosh QB.

Colgate 31 Sacred Heart 27 If the Red Raiders don't get this one in Hamilton, it could be a LONG season.

Fordham 23 Cornell 20 Another potentially close contest...I'll go with the Rams in the Bronx.

HC 34 Brown 17 Break-out game for the Saders.

Delaware 35 Bucknell 13 Hats off to the Bison for scheduling this one but just too much Fightin' Blue Hens.

Lafayette 27 Penn 24 The dream season continues for the Pards...if only for another week anyway.

5-2....14-4 on the year (and 2 of those 4 losses are picks for HC, when will I learn???)

Pretty good week for the league...congrats to the Pards who may have something going this year.