PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa vs. Iowa

igo4uni
May 27th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Ok boys, what's going to happen on Sept. 17th when the UNI Panthers hop on the bus for the ride to Iowa City??

Will it be close?

Will they get killed?

Can they win??

Will Cap'n Cat be there?

After last year, Iowa could very well be rated in the top 5 when they meet in mid-September.

I will withhold my prediction until I get some feedback by the fine folks on this board. :)

peace

igo4uni

GannonFan
May 27th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I think UNI gets killed in this game - just don't see them being able to hang with the Hawkeyes this year.

Paladin1aa
May 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM
UNI is deadmeat.

bison95
May 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
This one will be scary. Iowa should be playing for a NC this year. I just Hope UNI doesn't get beat up so bad the lose thei chance at a NC also.

89Hen
May 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM
My unfortunate answers. I will be rooting for 1, 3 and 4 to all be wrong though...

Will it be close? - No

Will they get killed? - No

Can they win?? - No

Will Cap'n Cat be there? - No

ChickenMan
May 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM
UNI should be playing Iowa St... not Iowa... ;)

Chi Panther
May 27th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Mizzou backed out and UNI was added.....$325K pay day. Bob Bowlsby the AD at Iowa is former AD at UNI.

There are alot of Hawkeye fans who would rather be playing a I-A team, but the reality is that this game will be a sell-out....and that means $$$. The Iowa Board of Regents will like this as well as both Athletic Depts.

putter
May 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately Iowa is set for a big year and I see a close 1st quarter but after that it will be all over. I just hope they stay healthy.

blur2005
May 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
One word to describe Iowa this coming season: Diiiiiiiiirty

Three words to describe Iowa this coming season: Big Ten Champions

They'll challenge for a national title, and could go undefeated. So I'm thinking UNI bites the dust.

ISUMatt
May 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM
UNI should be playing Iowa St... not Iowa... ;)

Its our turn for Iowa State this yr!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 28th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Its our turn for Iowa State this yr!!

Iowa State should be pretty good this year. They should be the preseason favorite in the Big 12 North this year and should have won it last year before screwing it away in their last game. I was reading something about Iowa and they mentioned their game against ISU this year and how it might be the Hawkeyes most difficult road game of the year.

FL connection
May 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM
The UI vs. ISU game has been a very good game in recent years, with UI gaining the upper hand back last season.......ISU had a string of victories put together until the HAWKS broke the string. Should be another great game .......HAWKS by two touches........connection out!

Pantherpower
May 30th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Okay, back to the UNI-Iowa discussion. Does UNI have a chance to win? No. Will it be competitive? Maybe. The Panthers need a few breaks for this to happen and it is possible that Hunter and Goodwin's speed at WR may surprise Iowa. Kirk Ferentz has too much class to let this one get out of hand, although if he chose to keep the throttle down, it would probably get ugly. I would be very happy with 35-14 type score.

P2TheB
May 31st, 2005, 10:57 AM
Remember that this is the game after Iowa plays Iowa State and before Ohio State. They will want to keep fresh bodies in there and rest their starters. Also, they may have an emotional letdown after such a huge game against ISU.

Bub
May 31st, 2005, 11:15 AM
Of course you're forgetting, UNI will still be healing up from the Drake game!

FL connection
May 31st, 2005, 11:29 AM
Can Rob and the Drake boys sneak up on UNI looking to the following week's match up with the HAWKS??????

yomama
May 31st, 2005, 12:08 PM
Can Rob and the Drake boys sneak up on UNI looking to the following week's match up with the HAWKS??????

Remember how I-AA has the lowest percentage represented in the postseason...in any sport..at any level?

If instead I-AA had a 24-team playoff modeled on D-II, with regional seeding, this might have been a 1st round 2004 playoff matchup. Oh yeah, I-AA would also have to follow D-II's lead and include non-scholarship teams.

Under those conditions, it's not hard to imagine UNI/Drake as a 3/6 matchup in the west. What will the outcome look like, compared to most 1st round games? I don't know, but it will be out there for all to see.

P2TheB
May 31st, 2005, 01:09 PM
UNI plays Drake in the 1st week and then Iowa in the 3rd week. In week 2 there is a D2 game, so don't think UNI will be overlooking Drake.

By the way, how many Drake fans will make it up to UNI for the game? (can you maybe guesstimate?)

yomama
May 31st, 2005, 02:00 PM
I doubt Drake has a hardcore road following at this point. It seems the locals drift in for home games when they feel like it.

Drake sold 8,800 tickets for William Penn...fans wanted to see the temporary lights. I hear Drake will have permanent lights next year. What wonders will they come up with next? Indoor plumbing? These techno wonders + a home game with UNI would really pack em in.

It makes no sense, but Drake would rather take a $50,000 paycheck.

P2TheB
May 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM
UNI has wanted to start a home and home with Drake, but they just want to money. If UNI were to play Drake in a home and home +$$$ I would think they would be able to do very well. UNI would bring at least 5,000 fans to the game.

UMgrizzlies
May 31st, 2005, 04:28 PM
After watching Iowa's bowl game agianst LSU, I have serious doubts about UNI's ability to come out with a W. But then again, Maine and UNH upset D-1 opponents last year, and Georgia Sotuhern and W&M almost upset their D-1 foes. It will at least draw a large number of fans, and who knows, it could get interesting.

Nyghtewynd
June 1st, 2005, 01:35 AM
I don't think UNI has a prayer to stay within 30. Iowa's a top-10 D-1 school. You always have a puncher's chance, I guess...