PDA

View Full Version : GSU vs The Citadel game thread

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Figured I'd start it, since GSU fans will probably finish it.

Going to modify my earlier prediction of a low scoring game... our defense is not nearly as good as last year, and we are missing a key player on the DL. GSU will score 28, I think, at least I hope we hold them to 28.

Our offense is significantly better than last year, and we can throw the ball.. at least when the coach makes the right QB decisions. I think we can put about 24 on GSU but we will need to option away from you-know-who.

Think it might be close, maybe 3-10 points, but I no longer think this will be a low scoring affair.

ElCid
September 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Actually the defense did ok last week. Yeah it was Charleston So but holding them to 70 yards in the second half was impressive. I just wish we would stop being a second half team only. There was not a lot of passing last week, but I think the coach wanted to make sure we had the running execution down. Miller did have a sweet 40 yard pass right into the receiver's arms at the goal line but he could not hold on, so there might be hope. The passes that were made were good play calls and very well executed.

With both teams running it, I can't see either team scoring more than 30 at most--there just will not be time. But all bets are off if either team starts turning it over. Either team that gets two or three extra possessions will pull it out.

It also think it will be a one score game.

GlassOnion
September 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM
The Citadel is overdue. If they had put the scare in Charleston last year instead of Paulson, I'd say GSU would be a fairly sure bet, but with this game in JHS, I think the team which fumbles least has got an excellent shot, and may the best of the Socon swamp dwellers win.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Glass Onionm is correct.... GSU has more talent and more weapons than the Citadel. However, this is the new starting QB's first road start. If GSU doesn't turn it over they should win, but that is a BIG IF.

I think GSU will get the Citadel's best shot and I expect a physical game with the turnover margin determining the outcome. FWIW, GSU won last year because its special teams were better... It was one of Jaybo's worst games.

GlassOnion
September 8th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I was impressed last year, with The Cit's ability to score points last year. Did not take many miscues for them to start rolling.

I do wish theyd bring the Corps of Cadets this year to Boone. Or as Obama would say, the Corpse of Cadets. xoopsx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlKIfzoC8D0

SpiritCymbal
September 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
My prediction is 27-13 GSU.

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Actually the defense did ok last week. Yeah it was Charleston So but holding them to 70 yards in the second half was impressive.

I have looked at the film three times now. Our defense was
Just as much a sieve in the second half as it was in the first. The difference was that our offense hung on to the ball and kept it away from CSU in the 2nd half, and also CSU kept shooting themselves in the foot with no help from our D.

They averaged 6-7 yards a carry on plays where they actually hung on to the ball.

GSU is going to sustain drives, and if they do not turn the ball over they are going to move the ball at will, just like CSU. If we win, it will be because GSU was not able to contain our offense, and they made mistakes on offense. If their offense is at just 60% we will not stop them.

GSU EAGLES
September 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM
This will be our QB's first road start so no idea how he will handle it. Athletically, Youyoute is blazingly fast and I look for him to do some serious damage today.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Just got to my seat. Less than 20 Til kickoff. Hope the weather holds off. Hail southern!

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM
True to form GSU fumbles on their fourth offensive play to set up the Citadel in the red zone. Citadel converts a fourth down into a TD and leads 7-0 early.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM
And GSU promptly fumbles again to set Citadel up again at the GSU 40...

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
30 yard TD pass makes it 14-0 about halfway through the first quarter.

GSU has run 6 plays and fumbled twice.

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM
You will not break our fumble record from the last time we played in JHS. (9)

eagle07
September 8th, 2012, 05:27 PM
You will not break our fumble record from the last time we played in JHS. (9)

we don't do things half way lol, were going for the record baby! lol

Gringer1
September 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM
The Jaybo haters are eating crow by the shovelfull.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
GSU comes back with a nice 70 yard drive to halve the lead... It is late in the first qtr.

eagle07
September 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM
nice how citadel webcast hasn't given us our 7 points yet lol

eagle07
September 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM
heck of punt by citadel punter

eagle07
September 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
swope has flipped the switch, "beast mode" on

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM
GSU drives 75 yards, again, all on the ground, to knot it up. 14 all in the 2nd qtr.

GSU's o-line is starting to take control of the game. Citadel needs a couple of first downs at the minimum here to slow the tsunami.

Eaglegus2
September 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Eagles tie the score at 14

eagle07
September 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM
citadel gets a fg 17-14, late in 2nd

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM
After GSU kicks off out of bounds, Citadel drives down and kicks a 42 yd FG. 17-14 Citadel late in the second qtr.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM
GSU subbing on the o-line this series... 3 clean jerseys and a true FR at FB too.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM
GSU 30 yd FG no good to end half. The clock is the only thing that kept them out of the end zone.

That kick was some kind of UGLY... I would suggest that I could go out there right now, at age 52, after 5 knee surgeries, and kick one prettier than that. OMG!!!!!!

17-14 Citadel at the half... GSU gets the ball at the start of the third qtr.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 8th, 2012, 06:14 PM
First time I've missed this game since '98. Trying to watch horrible stream. The play looks as bad as the server speed.

Can't afford to spot anyone 14 points

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM
The rain has arrived and the game is a slog... Citadel has a nice drive culminating in a 39 yd FG to go up 20-14 late in the third quarter.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Consecutive 3 and outs for the GSU offense... Citadel in business at their own 45 late in the third.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM
End of 3... 20-14 Citadel. It's their game to win right now, one more score should do it.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Citadel fumbles on the GSU 28... Their first turnover.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
GSU fumbles on the pitch again due to poor pitch relationship. They haven't executed the pitch successfully yet.

Citadel adjusted to stop the dive and GSU, due to the inability to pitch or pass, is clueless. It is Citadel's game to win.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 07:24 PM
GSU gets an incredible break on a deflected pitch to convert a 4th down and cashes it in. 21-20 GSU with a little under 4 minutes to go.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
updates are good you guys.

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Ga Southern finally took the lead. They are just having timing issues. The defense is playing well at the end of the game. Southern should win it.

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM
citadel coverted a 4th down

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM
going to be close.

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Don't blow this!

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Go Bulldogs :P

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:39 PM
23-21 citadel

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Come on Eagles...........! 35 seconds.

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Citadel converts two forth and longs- one by a PI penalty on a ball thrown out of bounds- and kicks a FG to lead 23-21 with about 30 seconds to go.

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:41 PM
WE need to play you guy in the playoff this year. Old times!

totoinfl
September 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Talon you on...

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM
updates?!

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Damnit!

blueballs
GSU promptly returns the kick inside the Cit 40 and hits a pass to the 27. A #! Scramble and a spike has GSU lining up a FG from the Cit 14. 31 yards and it misses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Citadel wins!!!!!!!!!

CID1990
REDEMPTION

TwoFeathers
September 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Oh boy...

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Furman and GSU lost. This was a good day.

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM
That game was déjà vu all over again, except we can kick now.

It is a great day to be a Bulldog!

CropDuster
September 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
GSU turns it over in their own territory twice giving Cit their only two TDs. GSU misses two FGs.

TwoFeathers
September 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Biggest dose of reality for GSU in, what, 2 years???

bdog
September 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I love Sean Taylor!

TwoFeathers
September 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Really missing Jaybo, Adrian and LaRon at this moment...

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM
So who all did GSU lose from a personnel perspective from last year to this year?

CropDuster
September 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
So who all did GSU lose from a personnel perspective from last year to this year?

Jaybo Shaw.

Punter, place kicker, and long snapper. We missed a PAT last week and two FGs this game.

2 starting corners and two LBs biggest on defense.

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM
CONGRATS BULLDOGS!!!! Way to battle all the way to the end!

GSUwinsagain
September 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM
No excuses ! Congrats Citadel on a hard fought win. I hope we can grow into a playoff team with a week off to straighten this out.

GSUwinsagain
September 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Jaybo Shaw.

Punter, place kicker, and long snapper. We missed a PAT last week and two FGs this game.

Plus, 3 starting OL.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Jaybo Shaw.

that's kind of big from a defensive perspective.....but hey we'll just have to see how things shake up in the next couple weeks

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Kevin Higgins with his biggest win since he arrived at The Citadel!

I'll have a new #1 next week!

penguinpower
September 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
NDUSU is kicking ***. Listening on KFGO.

I-16Bandit
September 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
The Citadel looses last year by 2 because of a missed kick.

Georgia Southern looses tonight by 2 because of a missed kick.

So we're even now, right? No more of this... I can't take another game like that!

blueballs
September 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Congratulations to the Citadel. The better, more solid team won.They've come a long way under Higgins.

GSU looked like a HS team. Piss poor- I mean PISS poor- kicking (2 missed 30 yd FG's and 2 KO out of bounds), can't pass, can't pitch on the option, lack of ball security, and horrible pass defense. It is gonna be a long year...

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM
GSU turns it over in their own territory twice giving Cit their only two TDs. GSU misses two FGs.

Turnover count, just like the 9 we gave up 2 years ago when you won 20-0.

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 08:25 PM
The Citadel looses last year by 2 because of a missed kick.

Georgia Southern looses tonight by 2 because of a missed kick.

So we're even now, right? No more of this... I can't take another game like that!

I agree. This game is starting to become a great one, but hard on the fingernails.

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Congratulations to the Citadel. The better, more solid team won.They've come a long way under Higgins.

GSU looked like a HS team. Piss poor- I mean PISS poor- kicking (2 missed 30 yd FG's and 2 KO out of bounds), can't pass, can't pitch on the option, lack of ball security, and horrible pass defense. It is gonna be a long year...

I am not sure about that. We have a habit of playing up to you guys, but your defense was pretty solid for most of the game. Our defense is, well, I don't know how to describe them. They are a sieve one minute, but then they lock down for a couple series. It's like Jekyll and Hyde.

Sloppy play in the 1st half is what did you in.

Oh BTW looks like we had at least a little bit of a passing game when we most. needed it.

SpiritCymbal
September 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Congrats to the Citadel for their win today. There is absolutely nothing that be said about the game that can deminish their win today. They flat out played GSU today. Took advantage of turnovers and made the big plays when they had their backs against the wall.

Please ignore anything the seantaylor (eagleskins) says in the coming weeks about excuses for why we lost the game. No excuse. Citadel played better today. GSU was exposed. Period.

ElCid
September 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Just got home. No voice left I screamed so hard. The key to the game was simple, the Georgia Southern turnovers AND the really good defensive adjustments made by the Bulldogs in the second half...just like they did last week. I have to say,looking at Georgia Southern run in the first half was scary. They ran at will. But somehow we figured it out, at least better than we had. I think I heard on the radio that Ga So had 200+ rushing in the first half, and only 90 something in the second half. I know that there will be something said about the Pass Interference call on the last Cid drive but the defender did grab him. Was it catchable? It was close but I think yes. Also, I have no idea what the Citadel kicker was thinking on the last Citadel Kickoff. It should have been kicked out of bounds. Better to have it at the 35 than the Cid 45. Except for our FG kicks, Citadel special teams were horrible. I do feel much better about the Citadel passing.

Cheers to the Eagles for a great Football game!

I will have to put my flags out as I drive home tomorrow up I-16:D

RichH2
September 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Great win for Kevin and The Citadel.

TwoFeathers
September 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Congrats to the Citadel for their win today. There is absolutely nothing that be said about the game that can deminish their win today. They flat out played GSU today. Took advantage of turnovers and made the big plays when they had their backs against the wall.

Please ignore anything the seantaylor (eagleskins) says in the coming weeks about excuses for why we lost the game. No excuse. Citadel played better today. GSU was exposed. Period.

I was concerned GSU would lose some ground after Jaybo moving on, etc... However, seemed GSU fans thought there was an upgrade at QB position this year. Some last week said this years team could have beaten NDSU. I still think the QB position is not as good as last 2 years, plus the loss of Adrian and LaRon is huge. Bottom line, even with the TO, still need to be able to complete a pass, especially when behind, or in the 2-minute drill.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Good win for the Citadel program. Good lesson for the Eagles to learn what happens when you spot your opponent 14 points.

I'm not really worried. I saw this as a tough game early. Citadel has a good team.

TwoFeathers
September 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I was concerned GSU would lose some ground after Jaybo moving on, etc... However, seemed GSU fans thought there was an upgrade at QB position this year. Some last week said this years team could have beaten NDSU. I still think the QB position is not as good as last 2 years, plus the loss of Adrian and LaRon is huge. Bottom line, even with the TO, still need to be able to complete a pass, especially when behind, or in the 2-minute drill.

Say what you want about Jaybo, he's slow, etc... He ran the triple option like clock-work. Experience beats undeveloped talent every time. Hoping GSU can get some consistency at the QB position this year.

JMUNJ08
September 8th, 2012, 10:21 PM
There's a new top 'dog' in town...

Great win El Cid!

SpiritCymbal
September 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM

It might have seemed as a majority of GSU fans were not concerned with the QB position, but I contend that it was merely the "louder" GSU fans. I would say a majority believed that we are more talented at the QB position (and still think so), but as we all know, the QB position is more than just physical skill. He has to have a good head on his shoulders to be a true "leader" and that was what concerned a lot of us. Given the result of our scrimmage last week and I think some fans got a little ahead of themselves.

Unfortunately, that question still hasn't been answered.

CID1990
September 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
It might have seemed as a majority of GSU fans were not concerned with the QB position, but I contend that it was merely the "louder" GSU fans. I would say a majority believed that we are more talented at the QB position (and still think so), but as we all know, the QB position is more than just physical skill. He has to have a good head on his shoulders to be a true "leader" and that was what concerned a lot of us. Given the result of our scrimmage last week and I think some fans got a little ahead of themselves.

Unfortunately, that question still hasn't been answered.

There were a couple times when that kid reminded me of Jayson Foster... especially when he grabbed back that batted pitch and reversed field on that 4th down play. Amazing.

SpiritCymbal
September 8th, 2012, 10:31 PM
There were a couple times when that kid reminded me of Jayson Foster... especially when he grabbed back that batted pitch and reversed field on that 4th down play. Amazing.

That wasn't our starting QB. That was our "2nd string" QB (also plays slotback) who was our back-up last year. He's a phenomenal athlete. Moved to CB last year for the last 4 games of the year and had unbelievable success.

Our coaches have a big decision to make. He's too talented to play as a back up (only got 4 carries tonight). He either needs to be a significant part of the offense or needs to be moved to defense. Like I said....way too skilled and talented to not be included in the game plan.

HartleysHuddle
September 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Wow what a crazy game! The Citadel pulls off two huge 4th down conversions down the stretch. From being at the game, I feel the Eagles have a stellar QB who is incapable of making good decisions when his team is counting on him. I had figured GSU would let The Citadel stay close and crush them down the stretch. Boy was I impressed with the end result.

ngineer
September 8th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Way to go Lehigh South and Coach Higgins!

Gringer1
September 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Wow what a crazy game! The Citadel pulls off two huge 4th down conversions down the stretch. From being at the game, I feel the Eagles have a stellar QB who is incapable of making good decisions when his team is counting on him. I had figured GSU would let The Citadel stay close and crush them down the stretch. Boy was I impressed with the end result.

I don't know that he's "incapable" just not ready. He was kind of thrown into the fire against a team that runs the same offense and was well prepared to defend it. He obviously has great athletic ability and he could develop the mental component to go with it. If he can tighten up with pitches and decision making, he will be an excellent quarterback. As it stands now, he's a great athlete that will stumble his way to some good plays and some bad.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM

Yeah, we would have ran El Cid off the field if we still had Jaybo.

Wait a minute....

Gringer1
September 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM
We showed a weakness at QB in terms of decision making and pitch execution. No comparisons to Jaybo (positive or negative) will change the fact that GSU must improve at the QB position in order to compete with the top of the SoCon.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Our coaches have a big decision to make. He's too talented to play as a back up (only got 4 carries tonight). He either needs to be a significant part of the offense or needs to be moved to defense. Like I said....way too skilled and talented to not be included in the game plan.

Exactly what I was saying on the ride back. Either let McKinnon take more snaps at QB, or get him the ball more than we have been. He's too good not to. On that last kickoff return, JJ showed a whole lot of "want to" and that's something that I didn't really see out of our offense with the exception of Swope. We just seemed flat in the second half and like we didn't want it bad enough. Some of our older guys need to step up and get this team on the right track.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 9th, 2012, 01:04 AM
No need to panic. Lots of variables when GSU plays Citadel. No one can look at this game honestly without seeing that the Eagles screwed up and Citadel capitalized.
Problems to overcome to be sure, but the better team beat themselves. It happens. That said, I expect The Citadel to be competitive in every game, but they somehow always end up 7-4 or 6-5.

Twentysix
September 9th, 2012, 01:26 AM
This is the best XD

penguinpower
September 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Not completing a pass against Jacksonville the week before and ball handling issues is telling of a young inexperienced QB.

penguinpower
September 9th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Listened to the AGS radio archive and I didn't catch the guys name that was interviewed but he call this upset and he was close with his prediction. Wow!

gasoutherneagle
September 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
All the best to El Cid. You kick our butts mightily and exposed TWO HUGE HOLES in the Eagle offense: no passing game and no kicking game. Which means, unfortunately: no title run in 2012. We're about to drop like a rock in my poll.

Congrats on a great win Citadel... you earned it!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM
All the best to El Cid. You kick our butts mightily and exposed TWO HUGE HOLES in the Eagle offense: no passing game and no kicking game. Which means, unfortunately: no title run in 2012. We're about to drop like a rock in my poll.

Congrats on a great win Citadel... you earned it!

Izzy was 5/8 with 11 yards per completion.

blueballs
September 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
GSU was and still is overrated and I was shocked at how raw and high schoolish they looked.

I watched a team last night that was unable to effectively use two all conference talents in Robert Brown and Jerrick McKinnon, a team that was unable to execute even the most basic components of the offense (pitch), a team with a pathetic kicking game (I can name at least 10 high schools in Central FL that have better kicking games), and a team with only one real playmaker on defense (Brent Russell), and a team get throughly outcoached because it was unable to adjust when Citadel adjusted at halftime.

Conversely, I saw a Citadel team use its talent very effectively, capitalize on mistakes of the opponent, play with great effort and emotion, not beat themselves with stupid penalties and turnovers, play together through adversity, make huge plays when the game was on the line, make great adjustments, execute in the special teams, and get a huge win.

I thought before the season that GSU was a 7-4 team that might get to 8-3 and nothing I saw last night changed my mind. There are a LOT of serious holes on this team. I don't see how anybody can say they're better than App, Wofford, Chatty, Citadel, or UGA- who they play the last game of the season (Lord have mercy). They'll be fortunate to go 7-4 and sneak into the playoffs. The team and program seems to have taken a huge step backwards and has a long way to go to just be mediocre at this point, let alone win anything.

Citadel has a good shot at the playoffs... I can see them getting a minimum of 7 wins and generating a lot of excitement around their program. They are trending up for sure.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
As far as talking about adjustments, could your special teams not adjust in order to keep from getting illegal procedure penalties on nearly EVERY kickoff and half of your punts? I know we have a lot to work on, but outgaining you on the ground by ~140 yards does not show a team that was "unable to execute the most basic components of offense." We don't make two early mistakes and it's a much different ballgame. The Citadel was unable to drive the ball the length of the field and put it in the endzone. They were able to drive from well inside our territory and do it, but they couldn't do it if we didn't turn the ball over inside our own half. I'd take a step back and look at some things before you start hurling around words like pathetic and high schoolish.

Eaglegus2
September 9th, 2012, 10:09 AM
The inability to make the pitch twice put points on the board. Capitalizing on these miscues is what is required. I don't care how much you run up & down the field. You must put the ball in the end zone. I feel that the kicking game is hurting the Eagles. Missed FGs and kicking it out of bounds don't get it. You never give the opposing team ball position. The Eagles D stepped it up in the last half. The inability to continue running Swope was another. He may not gain 3 - 5 yds every carry but he was punishing their D. Credit goes to The Citadel for executing their game and their victory. Their team is better than most gives them credit. Next week The Citadel travels to The Rock. This will tell us how the SoCon will start stacking up. Could this be the year that everyone gets beat and a 2 lose record (conference) takes the Championship? Only time will tell!

blueballs
September 9th, 2012, 10:27 AM
As far as talking about adjustments, could your special teams not adjust in order to keep from getting illegal procedure penalties on nearly EVERY kickoff and half of your punts? I know we have a lot to work on, but outgaining you on the ground by ~140 yards does not show a team that was "unable to execute the most basic components of offense." We don't make two early mistakes and it's a much different ballgame. The Citadel was unable to drive the ball the length of the field and put it in the endzone. They were able to drive from well inside our territory and do it, but they couldn't do it if we didn't turn the ball over inside our own half. I'd take a step back and look at some things before you start hurling around words like pathetic and high schoolish.

It is what it is...

The only good that can be taken from last night is to be thankful that we weren't playing one of the division's top teams- like NDSU, SHSU, YSU, EWU, ODU, UNI, MSU, etc. As embarrassing as last night was Citadel ain't on the level of those schools, and getting blown out and shamed would have been far worse.

The 2002 team had a similar profile... graduating a lot of stalwart players from the 2001 group and starting 1-2 (losing to UD and Wofford) before righting the ship to rip off 10 in a row and advance to the semis. That won't happen this year simply because they play UGA the 11th game (Lord have mercy). The SoCon is also better top to bottom than it was then.

No amount of optimism or pollyanna rose colored glasses spin is going to hide the fact that last night's performance was substandard and down right sub division 1 in a LOT of areas. IMO the kicking game is what perplexes me most. How a university with 20k students with full scholarships in a hotbed of recruiting with the kind of tradition GSU has trots out something like that is just mind boggling.

The bottom line is that GSU ain't a top 3 team in the conference right now- let alone nationally. They MAY be down the line, but not right now. Hopefully the coaches can figure something out over the next couple of weeks.

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I know we have a lot to work on, but outgaining YOU on the ground by ~140 yards does not show a team that was "unable to execute the most basic components of offense."

You know that was a GSU fan posting, not an El CID fan, right?

T-Dog
September 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3dcMUVAG4&feature=youtu.be

Monken was pissed.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3dcMUVAG4&feature=youtu.be

Monken was pissed.

If he wasn't I'd be worried. I hate the "Aw, shucks we lost" attitude. That's a loser's attitude. **** that.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2012, 06:08 PM
****ing Socon refs. That's all I can say.

Also **** FG's.

We pissed the bed and still had a chance to win that game last night and gave it away. Nowicki put a better kick on it, but the snap was high and more than likely threw the timing off. Even still I thought we had made it til the Cit crowd went nuts.

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM
****ing Socon refs. That's all I can say.

I know! Russell was in our backfield before the snap twice during our last drive, and no call!

ElCid
September 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I know! Russell was in our backfield before the snap twice during our last drive, and no call!

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. I was impressed with his speed, but he was offsides big time.

penguinpower
September 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
That interview has me really liking that guy!

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM
That interview has me really liking that guy!

Yeah I like Monken. Sometimes I wish Higgins had some of that fire.

Taffe sure did.

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Well your first TD was sprung by a hell of a hold on the edge.

We can do this all day. But a PI call on 4th down with the game on the line on a pass that's out of bounds?? That's inserting themselves into the game and is awful.

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 06:40 PM

We can do this all day. But a PI call on 4th down with the game on the line on a pass that's out of bounds?? That's inserting themselves into the game and is awful.

I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody blamed the refs.

You are correct, we can do this all day long. I think the real question is whether the ball was catchable or not. Looking at the film, I cannot tell. A buddy near the play thought it was, but then we will never know, since the defender definitely did deliver a good push.

If those offsides had been called, we might well have had to rely on the long pass to convert the 4th down. See how that works?

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody blamed the refs.

You are correct, we can do this all day long. I think the real question is whether the ball was catchable or not. Looking at the film, I cannot tell. A buddy near the play thought it was, but then we will never know, since the defender definitely did deliver a good push.

If those offsides had been called, we might well have had to rely on the long pass to convert the 4th down. See how that works?

I honestly think there's some leeway given on that offsides thing with option teams. I've seen it with us last year and this year, and you guys last night as well. It seems like some of the backs start moving before the ball is snapped. It might be on the snap of the ball, it might not. I would have flagged us several times for it if I was a ref. Russell could have been keying on that movement and getting through before the OL was ready. I'm surprised more teams haven't fired off a little sooner against us doing the same thing.

CID1990
September 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Our resident blogger does a very detailed job from week to week, and here is his review of the GSU game.

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2012/09/09/game-review-2012-georgia-southern/

If you read back through his posting history, you'll occasionally see some posts about SoCon history, etc.

He's well worth the read, his posts are usually meticulously researched.

Enjoy.

gasoutherneagle
September 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Izzy was 5/8 with 11 yards per completion.

How many of those were against Prevent Defense? Yeah...

seantaylor
September 10th, 2012, 01:30 AM
The Jaybo haters are eating crow by the shovelfull.

Jaybo put up 14 points against El Chit in Paulson with 4 fumbles. Nice call.

Gringer1
September 10th, 2012, 02:05 AM
He could execute a pitch. I guess you don't need to know the fundamentals of the option offense when you've got that speeeeddd.

seantaylor
September 10th, 2012, 03:06 AM
He could execute a pitch. I guess you don't need to know the fundamentals of the option offense when you've got that speeeeddd.

He could execute a pitch but fumbled the most times in GSU history in a season? Hmmm.

GATA_OneMoreTime
September 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM
and if they aren’t going to make the short trip to Charleston, I find it hard to believe they are regularly going to Boone/Greenville/Spartanburg in overwhelming numbers either.

Ask Wofford if we were regularly going to Spartanburg in overwhelming numbers.

Apphole
September 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Y'all at it again, eh?

http://oi50.tinypic.com/25i6e1k.jpg

GlassOnion
September 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I wanted to watch this game, but cant find the video anywhere. This sucks.

citdog
September 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Was one HELL of a game in General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium on Saturday evening! The 'Dogs were the better team and made the plays when it mattered most. I think that the whiny element of the GSU fanbase, who are not worthy of the program or the class shown by cliff, bluenuts, baldy, and gus2, should just listen to what their Coach said in the post game presser........."WE GOT OUR BUTTS WHIPPED".

Great game and an excellent turnout by the GSU faithful.

on to Boone this week!

The Eagle's Cliff
September 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Our resident blogger does a very detailed job from week to week, and here is his review of the GSU game.

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2012/09/09/game-review-2012-georgia-southern/

If you read back through his posting history, you'll occasionally see some posts about SoCon history, etc.

He's well worth the read, his posts are usually meticulously researched.

Enjoy.

I agree with his blog, including the "better team" comment if he's talking about that game Saturday night. I don't think anyone who watched thinks The Citadel is better than Georgia Southern. The same two teams could play 10 times at JHS and I'd put money on the Eagles winning 8 out of the next 9.

What is a signature win for The Citadel is an embarrassing loss to Georgia Southern who played it's most mistake-filled game of the Monken era.

I hope the rest of the schedule thinks the Eagles will be easy.

citdog
September 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I agree with his blog, including the "better team" comment if he's talking about that game Saturday night. I don't think anyone who watched thinks The Citadel is better than Georgia Southern. The same two teams could play 10 times at JHS and I'd put money on the Eagles winning 8 out of the next 9.

What is a signature win for The Citadel is an embarrassing loss to Georgia Southern who played it's most mistake-filled game of the Monken era.

I hope the rest of the schedule thinks the Eagles will be easy.

I saw the game and I thought The Citadel was better. The one time they did play........The Cadets prevailed and that, cliffy, is ALL THAT MATTERS.

Eaglesrus
September 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I saw the game and I thought The Citadel was better. The one time they did play........The Cadets prevailed and that, cliffy, is ALL THAT MATTERS.

Can't argue with that, but then, have no reason to,either.

Eaglesrus
September 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Ask Wofford if we were regularly going to Spartanburg in overwhelming numbers.

I found it interesting that the writer felt the need to mention his opinion that we travel poorly given the number of empty seats on the home side. Otherwise I thought he summed the game up very well.

CID1990
September 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I found it interesting that the writer felt the need to mention his opinion that we travel poorly given the number of empty seats on the home side. Otherwise I thought he summed the game up very well.

Actually, GSU has traditionally traveled well, but the crowd on this past weekend was much smaller than expected. CSU had slightly more, but then they are from just up the road.

I think what he was getting at is that The Citadel is GSU's best travel buddy, and so if GSU is supposedly one of the best traveling schools they should be showing in Charleston to the tune of around 3000-4000.

This isn't based on hard numbers, but just from what I have observed over the last few years, ASU puts more fans in the stands in Charleston than anyone else, and then number two is a tossup between GSU, Furman, and Elon.

Eaglesrus
September 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Actually, GSU has traditionally traveled well, but the crowd on this past weekend was much smaller than expected. CSU had slightly more, but then they are from just up the road.

I think what he was getting at is that The Citadel is GSU's best travel buddy, and so if GSU is supposedly one of the best traveling schools they should be showing in Charleston to the tune of around 3000-4000.

This isn't based on hard numbers, but just from what I have observed over the last few years, ASU puts more fans in the stands in Charleston than anyone else, and then number two is a tossup between GSU, Furman, and Elon.

One thing to keep in mind when considering us in travel is that our largest contingent of people who travel, i.e. non-students, is in the Atlanta area, so for them pretty much every other school in the conference is less of a trip than The Citadel, except maybe Elon. On top of that, many Savannah and Statesboro folks would make it a day trip, may have looked at the forecast and decided to catch it on the net. No big deal, in any case, just seems that he threw it out there without thinking about it much.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Congratulations to The Citadel on a great win!

penguinpower
September 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I think Ga Southern has to develop that qb before they can contend. For a national championship this year. FG kicking must also improve

boogereagle
September 11th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Congrats to the Bulldogs for the win. Unreal how this game came down to missed field goals twice in two years.

Sometimes I wonder if Oliver's Woofing Theorem is paying us back for all the BS spouted by some of our fans. Karma is a mother----.