PDA

View Full Version : USD likely moving up to DI (and DI-AA), Omaha next?

MplsBison
July 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Not according to this: http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

But in my own opinion, I think Omaha would do just fine in the Great West and in I-AA.

It also keeps the Great West at 7 teams if SUU skips out to the Big Sky.

Also, http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=133804&section=Sports

UND (moving to DI-AA in 2008) is ranked 13th preseason in DII, USD is ranked 11th, and Omaha is ranked 10th, so I think both USD and Omaha would do quite well in DI-AA as long as they gave 60 scholarships.

Cocky
July 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM
What's going to happen to D-II?

chrisattsu
July 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
what's going to happen?

Teams from the Gliac (Great lakes area) and teams from the MIAA (Kansas-Missouri area) will continue to dominate.

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 08:38 AM
There are still plenty of good D-II teams in the south (South Atlantic Conference, with Carson-Newman etc. and that Gulf Coast Conference, with Valdosta State etc.). They will survive just fine, just as I-AA has continued to thrive, despite losing teams like Marshall, Boise State, Troy State, UConn etc.

BearsCountry
July 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I think UNO would do fine in football but struggle mightly in other sports. Like I said on the D2 board, its a shame that UNO and Creighton couldn't be combined bc that would almost be perfect fit athletically.

igo4uni
July 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Interesting. I-AA teams in Omaha, USD, and SDSU would be a relatively short distance from Cedar Falls. Nice for scheduling purposes and for fans willing to travel to see UNI. Youngstown and Bowling Green are just too far for most fans to Drive.

igo4uni
July 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I think UNO would do fine in football but struggle mightly in other sports. Like I said on the D2 board, its a shame that UNO and Creighton couldn't be combined bc that would almost be perfect fit athletically.

Has football ever been considered at Creighton?

I would think that they could get enough Nebraska run-off too have a decent program. Attendance would be an issue, though. People in Omaha care about only one college football team, and it's not Nebraska-Omaha or Creighton!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GoBears
July 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately, UNO is not going to move up unless they can find a truckload of cash. From what I'm hearing, they're in a major deficit and the only reason they're not dropping football is because there is a trustee who always blocks the motion.

bison95
July 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Has football ever been considered at Creighton?

I would think that they could get enough Nebraska run-off too have a decent program. Attendance would be an issue, though. People in Omaha care about only one college football team, and it's not Nebraska-Omaha or Creighton!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rhere is no Husker run off. Nebraskans are Husker football fans period, and you won't get the fan support to move the program forward. Even Creighton fans are Husker football fans:rolleyes:

MplsBison
July 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I know Omaha has financial issues they need to solve first. I wouldn't doubt some of their problems stem from hockey and the Qwest Center.

They would still make a good addition to the Great West.

SO ILLmatic
July 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I would expect the Gateway (and not the Great West) to add Creighton if they ever started football. But the likeliness of them adding is probably slim to none.

UNO would be a good pick up for the Great West. However, the ad's should be on the horn with the ad of San Diego, that team may be the most appealing for the California members of the conference.

TheBisonator
July 20th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I know Omaha has financial issues they need to solve first. I wouldn't doubt some of their problems stem from hockey and the Qwest Center.

They would still make a good addition to the Great West.

You'd probably think Bemidji State would make a fine addition to the Great West too.

Why not just invite North Dakota State College of Science or Trinity Bible College while we're at it??

July 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
... USD ... would do quite well in DI-AA...USD already does well in I-AA (see the PFL). UNDak will do well too when/if they move to D-I.

douglasdmb
July 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Back when we played at Creighton in basketball back in late December of this year (same day Nebraska played Michigan in the Alamo Bowl), CU fans were concerned that there wouldn't be enough fans at the game to maintain any home-court advantage.

I think Creighton fans would obviously follow Jay football if they had it, but they would be Husker football fans first.

By the way, there seems to be a trend among Jesuit schools and a lack of football. Can anyone think of a jesuit university besides Gonzaga that has football?

July 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
...Can anyone think of a jesuit university besides Gonzaga that has football?Gonzaga has football?

TheBisonator
July 20th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Gonzaga has football?

I'll be damned... No one ever told me...

July 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
... Can anyone think of a jesuit university besides Gonzaga that has football?douglasdmb,
Does any jesuit university have an NCAA football team? I have never thought of that question but I hope you can clear this up... once and for all. :) I know some had football and even owned a football, heck they even watched football on TV and had one of those vibrating tabletop football games. But does any currently sponsor a pigskin squad?

ucdtim17
July 21st, 2006, 12:06 AM
BC is Jesuit. Is San Diego?

Go Poly
July 21st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Gonzaga has football?

No. They don't have football.

July 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM
BC is Jesuit. Is San Diego?British Columbia doesn't count... and exactly where is carmen San Diego???? xlolx sorry....

colgate13
July 21st, 2006, 07:44 AM
douglasdmb,
Does any jesuit university have an NCAA football team? I have never thought of that question but I hope you can clear this up... once and for all. :) I know some had football and even owned a football, heck they even watched football on TV and had one of those vibrating tabletop football games. But does any currently sponsor a pigskin squad?

Oh goodness gracious I hope your joking!

The PL has 3 jesuit football schools: Holy Cross, Fordham and Georgetown.

Also in I-AA is St. Peter's of the MAAC. There are some 'former' I-AA teams too like Cansisus and Fairfield.

Boston College is the only I-A.

MplsBison
July 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesuit_universities

MplsBison
July 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM
USD already does well in I-AA (see the PFL). UNDak will do well too when/if they move to D-I.

USD and UND are in the DII NCC, at the moment. Both likely having their exploatory years in 2007 and joining the Great West in football in 2008 or 2009.

U San Diego is DI and in the Pioneer for football.

MplsBison
July 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM
You'd probably think Bemidji State would make a fine addition to the Great West too.

Why not just invite North Dakota State College of Science or Trinity Bible College while we're at it??

Non sequitor.

Omaha is and has been a top ranked DII football team (even playing NDSU in the DII playoffs).

Bemidji State has never been to the DII playoffs. Science and TBC are not in the the NCAA.

ccd494
July 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't doubt some of their problems stem from hockey and the Qwest Center.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would bet UNO is making money on hockey. They made the NCAAs this year, play in a conference with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Notre Dame and have decent attendance.

Yes, it costs money to start up a hockey team, but UNO has reached the point where a year-to-year evaluation of the program would most likely end up in the black.

I know in the cases of teams like Maine, New Hampshire, Boston U, the hockey program is often the only team that turns a profit. Maine loses money on every venture except hockey and the Bear Necessities store in Alfond Arena.

July 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
USD and UND are in the DII NCC... U San Diego is DI and in the Pioneer for football.Hilarious. Get used to USD meaning San Diego and USDak meaning South Dakota (like UNDak will mean North Dakota) if USDak moves to D-I. :nod:

89rabbit
July 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM

I would bet UNO is making money on hockey. They made the NCAAs this year, play in a conference with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Notre Dame and have decent attendance.

Yes, it costs money to start up a hockey team, but UNO has reached the point where a year-to-year evaluation of the program would most likely end up in the black.

I know in the cases of teams like Maine, New Hampshire, Boston U, the hockey program is often the only team that turns a profit. Maine loses money on every venture except hockey and the Bear Necessities store in Alfond Arena.

UNO's hockey program's support (or lack there of) is being sited as the cause of their $1 million dollar deficit. Ticket sales are down and their rent went up when they moved to the Quest Center.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2206822

UNO had already come to aid of athletics, Belck says

UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck put $1 million of university reserve funds into the athletic department each of the last two years to shore up deficits.

It was only after department deficits persisted that UNO administrators decided last month's $440,000 athletic budget cuts had to be made, Maverick boosters were told Friday in an on-campus meeting.

"We are now at the point where we cannot continue to go back," Belck said. "We simply have to get this recurring deficit rebalanced." . . . (read more)

GeauxColonels
July 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM

That could be fun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xlolx xlolx xlolx

MplsBison
July 21st, 2006, 02:28 PM

You can always count on a hockey school viciously defending another hockey school at any cost.

The rent at the Qwest Center is likely eating up any profit that the hockey team is making.

MplsBison
July 21st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Hilarious. Get used to USD meaning San Diego and USDak meaning South Dakota (like UNDak will mean North Dakota) if USDak moves to D-I. :nod:

Lets see... should a non scholarship I-AA school or a full scholarship I-AA school have priority use of an acronym?

No brainer.

And I don't care if you refuse to use the correct acronym. That's the one I'll be using and you'll know exactly who I'm talking about via context.

ucdtim17
July 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
San Diego is established as USD - new guy has to come up with something else

Gil Dobie
July 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
South Dakota was opened in 1882, San Diego 1952. South Dakota was first.

In the 1920's thru 1960's the University of South Dakota was commonly called SDU and the University of North Dakota was refered to as NDU.

SO ILLmatic
July 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
Why are they playing hockey in Nebraska anyway???

July 21st, 2006, 06:09 PM
San Diego is established as USD - new guy has to come up with something elseexactly what I was thinking. When a school enters D-I and assumes that they will hold acronym rights it is amusing. USD has already been for years and USDak is the new kid. Same for UND and UNDak.

July 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
... In the 1920's thru 1960's the University of South Dakota was commonly called SDU and the University of North Dakota was refered to as NDU.I can't call a school by an incorrect acronym though, SDU and NDU would be wrong. USDak and UNDak is much better, no?

dakotadan
July 21st, 2006, 06:20 PM
I can't call a school by an incorrect acronym though, SDU and NDU would be wrong. USDak and UNDak is much better, no?

No, it's not better. If you refuse to use UND and USD, I personally would rather see you use NoDak and SoDak. Just my opinion.

July 21st, 2006, 06:42 PM
No, it's not better. If you refuse to use UND and USD, I personally would rather see you use NoDak and SoDak. Just my opinion.It's not necessarily my refusal (UND is not taken in I-AA so no problem there), I am thinking of all the statisticians too, they need unique acronyms. Can't use UND or USD because they are already taken in D-I.

MplsBison
July 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Nonsense.

I've never seen Notre Dame called "UND". Only "ND" or "Notre Dame".

Gil Dobie
July 21st, 2006, 10:17 PM
UND was also called the NoDaks at one time.

1941 NCAA Football Guide calls them North Dakota U and South Dakota U.

Notre Dame is called Notre Dame University by the NCAA that year.

BearsCountry
July 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM
Nonsense.

I've never seen Notre Dame called "UND". Only "ND" or "Notre Dame".

www.und.com

Offical site

July 21st, 2006, 11:24 PM
Nonsense. I've never seen Notre Dame called "UND". Only "ND" or "Notre Dame".C'mon MplsBison, don't do this to yourself. That stuff doesn't fly at AGS son. You don't mock others here unless you have facts to back it up. Take it to smack otherwise.

pcola
July 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
www.und.com

Offical site
http://www.und.edu

Official site of the university, not just the athletic department.

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
North Dakota - www.und.edu

Notre Dame - www.nd.edu

South Dakota - www.usd.edu

San Diego - www.sandiego.edu

I guess that settles it.

From now on, North Dakota = UND, Notre Dame = ND, South Dakota = USD, and San Diego = San Diego.

If you choose to use the incorrect acronym, that's your own fault. Hopefully people will be able to understand who you were talking about from the context.

*strikes gavel 3 times*

July 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
... *strikes gavel 3 times*There you go. :hurray: