PDA

View Full Version : App's Chances against NC State.

Pages : [1] 2

KiddBrewer
July 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
What is everybody's predictions on the season opener Sept. 2nd at NC State for the Mountaineers? Anybody else give them a chance, or think the Wolfpack will blow them out of the water, or what?

GeauxColonels
July 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
There's always a chance. That's why they play it on the field. I'm thinking that it will be a pretty tight game for at least 3 qtrs. I would LOVE to see ASU pull it out!

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
What is everybody's predictions on the season opener Sept. 2nd at NC State for the Mountaineers? Anybody else give them a chance, or think the Wolfpack will blow them out of the water, or what?

I think this game will be close but Elder's youth puts you guys on the losing end. Elder is going to either throw an INT or fumble late in the game to cost this one IMO. Of course, he will be fine by mid-season but early on I just think he will make some mistakes. I would say NC State 24 ASU 17. What do you think the score will be?

KiddBrewer
July 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
as a very biased appalachian student, i want to say App-14 NC State 10..........we'll see

Mr. C
July 19th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Jerry Moore has won about a third of his I-A games at ASU. The Mountaineers have several things in their favor, which makes this game similar to some of the other Mountaineer wins over I-As. First and foremost, NC State is losing a truckload of talent. So you have a young and inexperienced squad with the strong potential of overlooking a team that is very talented, because ASU is a I-AA school. If NC State doesn't come prepared, they will come away with a loss. Another thing in App's favor is the fact that the Mountaineers return most of the key players on their defense, which is extremely athletic. The Mountaineers also have more depth than most I-AA teams, so they should be able to hang with NC State, despite the scholarship differential. In early season games, offenses are usually the units that struggle most. The keys for ASU are to avoid turnovers, something Elder is working hard on and to avoid allowing NC State to score a bunch of points early. If App can get an early lead, the pressure will build on NC State. I think this is one of the best chances for a I-AA team to beat a I-A.

FUwolfpacker
July 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
As an NC State fan and a Furman alum, I'm a little biased.

Despite the people NC State lost, trust me, there is no shortage of talent.

On defense, State's 2 DT's are two of the best in the entire ACC. The secondary is very experienced, but the weak spot for State will be the LB's.

All the starters on offense, except the FB, have seen action in a number of games, so there is experience there. I know State's offense had a problem scoring last year, but I seriously doubt they only score 10 points against ASU.

Despite my SoCon ties, I think State wins by 10. ASU will definitely keep it close though.

Jag4Life
July 20th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I think Appy can pull it out. IMO it will be a high scoring game for the first 2 Qs. Appy 31 NC St 28!

KiddBrewer
July 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Glad to see everybody so far feels basically the same as me. Having been around the Appalachian football team quiet often, I simply can not buy into the idea that their size is completely inferior to division 1-A athletes. Sure, there is a speed and size differance at some positions, and the D1a schools are allowed more depth, but I believe that if Trey and Kevin Richardson have good games, anything is possible. I would also take last years LSU team over this year's NC State team if i had to make the bet, and who knows what could have happened in App's game against LSU last year if a few things had went a little differently. Either way, the Apps should be in no shortage of fan support at the game in Raleigh, a good majority of the student body and alumni are from the Raleigh/Durham area. I think it will be an interesting/telling/good game.

AppGuy04
July 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Everyone knows I am torn on this game, but I think the end of last year, the Pack finally figured out where their talent lies on offense and it wasn't throwing the ball. I think success will continue, though I do think App will keep it close. All my fellow Wolfpackers are cocky as **** lately, saying it will be a blow out, but they know absolutely nothing about App or I-AA football as I do.

NC State- 28
App-17

rOryOs-ASU
July 20th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Only thing that bothers me in this one is that Chucky will probably be playing this one for his job and its the opener! If he falls to ASU it could spell the end for him as his teams have underachieved each year!We wont be overlooked in this one and they will be sky high! Akron has a better chance of that the following week!

Anyone have ideas on the best way to get tickets , I'm exploring all the obvious options!

AppGuy04
July 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Anyone have ideas on the best way to get tickets , I'm exploring all the obvious options!

Only way is gonna be thru App, everything else will probably be sold out. I shall have my usual seat in C-F

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM
As an NC State fan and a Furman alum, I'm a little biased.

Despite the people NC State lost, trust me, there is no shortage of talent.

On defense, State's 2 DT's are two of the best in the entire ACC. The secondary is very experienced, but the weak spot for State will be the LB's.

All the starters on offense, except the FB, have seen action in a number of games, so there is experience there. I know State's offense had a problem scoring last year, but I seriously doubt they only score 10 points against ASU.

Despite my SoCon ties, I think State wins by 10. ASU will definitely keep it close though.
Nobody said there was a lack of talent at North Carolina State. But there is also a lot of talent at ASU as well. There are six or seven All-Americans on this team (depends on who's team you are talking about) and all of them will be in NFL camps in the next couple of years. One of those DTs will be matched up with Kerry Brown, who will be one of the best guards he faces all year. And Matt Isenhour at tackle was considered the best offensive lineman in the SoCon last year. Tailback Kevin Richardson was a player that everyone else in North Carolina just flat out missed on. He should have been playing in the ACC and NFL scouts are very high on him. He led ASU in receiving and rushing last year, putting up stats even better than John Settle did as a freshman. That is John Settle, the former NFL thousand-yard rusher and Atlanta Falcons All-Pro running back. ASU also has probably the deepest wide receiving group in I-AA. And QB Trey Elder has a lot of experience for a guy who has been a backup for two years. He played against Kansas and LSU last year, played most of a national semifinal and started a national championship game, so he shouldn't be awed by playing NC State.

You say that NC State shouldn't have a problem scoring points. Do you know how good this Mountaineer defense will be? It has the potential to be even better than the one that took ASU to a national championship last year. It will be more experienced overall and will be better, or equal athletically at 10 of the 11 positions this year. A typical pattern in first games is for offenses to struggle with execution, so look for this to be a lower-than-expected type of game, scoring wise. This should be a tough game for the Wolfpack, similar to what Auburn had in 1999 (when the Tigers were totally outplayed by ASU and won in the final minute on a bomb). The Wolfpack will be fighting for their lives in this one and better hope that ASU doesn't have a second-half lead. This one should go down to the wire.

KiddBrewer
July 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM
hell yea, Mr. C, Hell Yea.

Well put.

carney2
July 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Slim and none. Sorry guys, time for a reality check.

WMTribe90
July 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Close for 3 quarters, Wolfpack by 10.

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Slim and none. Sorry guys, time for a reality check.
:nod: As much as I'll be rooting for AppSt, citing Jerry Moore's record against I-A is a little misleading IMO. Aren't all of the I-A wins over Wake?

AppSt is 0-20 vs I-A's not named Wake Forest:
Kansas 36 - AppSt 8
LSU 24 - AppSt 0
Wyoming 53 - AppSt 7
Hawaii 40 - AppSt 17
Marshall 50 - AppSt 17
Auburn 22 - AppSt 15
Clemson 23 - AppSt 12
NCSt 35 - AppSt 10
Clemson 34 - AppSt 0
Clemson 48 - AppSt 0
NCSt 56 - AppSt 0
USC 35 - AppSt 9
USC 24 - AppSt 3
USC 20 - AppSt 13
Clemson 40 - AppSt 7
NCSt 33 - AppSt 7
VT 34 - AppSt 0
VT 34 - AppSt 12
NCSt 17 - AppSt 14
VT 41 - AppSt 32

NCSt, while not the best team in the ACC, will prevail to the tune of 30 something to 10ish. I will be very happy to eat those words though, so go Mountaineers!

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM
AppSt is 0-20 vs I-A's not named Wake Forest:

Not exactly true.
Actually, App beat U SCarolina in 1975.
Same year they beat Wake and East Carolina.

goasu984Life
July 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I wonder about the "pucker factor" for the Wolfpack. Obviously, this is a very important season for Chuck the Chest (whom I am not a big fan of), so I wonder if he puts too much pressure on himself, his coaches and his team. If that is the case, if the game is close in the fourth quarter, will the pressure get to them?

I am not impressed with Amato's coaching ability. Seriously, let's think about it. He had the best quarterback in the ACC a few years ago (Phillip Rivers), and the best he could do is fourth in the conference. He had three first-round draft picks on defense last year, and he only won seven ballgames. Is this someone that you really want to head your football program? His mouth wrote a lot of checks that, so far, his butt hasn't cashed. I just wonder what the pressure will be like late if the game is close.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Count on the ACC refs to save their asses.

One year App had them beaten on a Brown to Beasley pass and the refs threw a flag after he scored saying he had stepped out of bounds many yards back down field.

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Not exactly true.
Actually, App beat U SCarolina in 1975.
Same year they beat Wake and East Carolina.
There was no I-AA in 1975.

BigApp
July 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
If App can get an early lead, the pressure will build on NC State.

IF we can get that early lead and sustain it into the 4th quarter, I personally think Moo-U's notorious discipline problems will rear it's ugly head and make it even sweeter!:D :D :D

goasu984Life
July 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I hope they kick their butts, because I am married to a State fan. Do you realize the amount of crap I will give her if they win. GAWD, that will be sweet when it happens.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I am rooting for App State for some obvious reasons, of which the biggest might be that we play them the following week intheir home opener after winning an NC. I remember how pumped and cocky our players and fans were in that first home game - we could use seeing App State pull out a win at NCST and have a let down game vs. us.

Reality is that I see this being a 31-10 type game in favor of the wolfpack. I don't believe Trey Elder is going to be that good. He may prove me wrong, but I think his mistakes will be costly, even with a great RB in the backfield. Meanwhile, I think the wolfpack want to get off to a crushing start to send a statement to the entire NCAA that they will be better with "less" talent. Funny how common sense is not tallied into the talent factor. Was there a team more often penalized than NCST last year?

Anyway, the well runs deep at NCST with talent, and I just don't see the Mountaineers hanging with them so well. The score may not be indicative of the closeness of the game. Stats wise, I can see App St. winning. But the stat that will end the game for ASU is Points Off Turnovers.

Good luck though, and I can't wait for my first trip to Boone on Sept. 9!!! GO DUKES!!!!!!!

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Picky, Picky, 89 Hen. The point is that ASU has beaten the big boys in the past. By the way, the 23-12 loss at Clemson was to a Tiger squad that was ranked in the Top-25. ASU gave Clemson all they wanted that day with some great defense. If you look at most of those scores from the Moore era (and if you were at most of those games), you would know that ASU usually plays I-A schools extremely tough (the Hawaii and Wyoming games being the biggest exceptions). In that Marshall game, 50-17 was extremely misleading. Marshall was somewhat lucky to be ahead after three quarters and then scored two TDs in garbage time, trying to run up the score after the game was decided. Also, Coach Moore has never taken a defending national champion into ACC territory. The Mountaineers may not win, but they are going to give the Pack all they want in this one.

AppGuy04
July 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I wonder about the "pucker factor" for the Wolfpack. Obviously, this is a very important season for Chuck the Chest (whom I am not a big fan of), so I wonder if he puts too much pressure on himself, his coaches and his team. If that is the case, if the game is close in the fourth quarter, will the pressure get to them?

I am not impressed with Amato's coaching ability. Seriously, let's think about it. He had the best quarterback in the ACC a few years ago (Phillip Rivers), and the best he could do is fourth in the conference. He had three first-round draft picks on defense last year, and he only won seven ballgames. Is this someone that you really want to head your football program? His mouth wrote a lot of checks that, so far, his butt hasn't cashed. I just wonder what the pressure will be like late if the game is close.

Man, you sound just like the ESPN analysts at the draft with no clue about NC State football. Sure he had Rivers for 4 years, and if I do recall they finished 13th in the country one year and beat Notre Dame in a bowl game. 4th in that conference is saying something, b/c that is a top 15 team. He really only had 2 1st rounders, the 3rd should have been a 2nd rounder but Buffalo reached. And if you notice, the defense was not the problem, it was the offense. Look up how many defensive touchdowns were scored by their opponents. Their record was directly due to the lack of offense, until the end of the season when they finally realized they needed to use their stable of running backs. He may not be that good of a coach, but NC State has grown more than almost any other school in the country, and the next guy will be pie

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I am rooting for App State for some obvious reasons, of which the biggest might be that we play them the following week intheir home opener after winning an NC. I don't believe Trey Elder is going to be that good. He may prove me wrong, but I think his mistakes will be costly, even with a great RB in the backfield. Meanwhile, I think the wolfpack want to get off to a crushing start to send a statement to the entire NCAA that they will be better with "less" talent. Funny how common sense is not tallied into the talent factor. Was there a team more often penalized than NCST last year?

Anyway, the well runs deep at NCST with talent, and I just don't see the Mountaineers hanging with them so well. The score may not be indicative of the closeness of the game. Stats wise, I can see App St. winning. But the stat that will end the game for ASU is Points Off Turnovers.

Good luck though, and I can't wait for my first trip to Boone on Sept. 9!!! GO DUKES!!!!!!!
You obviously don't know much about Trey Elder. Here is his resume so far. Player of the year in South Carolina as a high school senior. Led Byrnes High to the state championship. Replaced an injured Richie Williams during his freshman season and led the Mountaineers to 41 points and a win over Texas State in 2004. This was the same Texas State defense that would win a share of the Southland Conference and take the Bobcats to the I-AA semifinals in 2005. After playing well in a number of games as Williams' backup last season, Elder came into the Furman semifinal game when Williams was injured and threw a touchdown on the first play of the game. After a couple of turnovers, he came back to lead a key fourth-quarter drive that lifted ASU into the championship game, scoring the game-winning TD himself. Elder also dealt well with the media blitz at the championship game and played better than people realize against Northern Iowa. Elder is undefeated in his prep and college career as a starter and is likely to be named the SoCon first-team preseason conference quarterback in a couple of weeks. Not that good?

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Also, Coach Moore has never taken a defending national champion into ACC territory.
Uh, duh. However, don't you think the games DURING a national championship year would be more telling? How many defending NC's live up to the previous year?

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Obviously, they are ranked preseason No. 1 for a reason. Actually, with NC State's graduation losses, this is probably the best time to take a team to Raleigh.

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
You obviously don't know much about Trey Elder.
Ease up DC. You sound a little like umassfan when somebody says something that isn't 100% glowing about UMass. I agree with DukeDawg in that I believe that in order for Elder to perform well this year, he needs to take care of the ball a LOT better than he did last year. What little I saw of him, he looked like a turnover machine to me. :twocents:

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Obviously, they are ranked preseason No. 1 for a reason.
Yes and it's the same reason Delaware was ranked #1 pre-season in 2004 and JMU #1 last year. xcoffeex

2005 Preseason AGS Poll
1. James Madison (45)

2004 Preseason AGS Poll
1. Delaware (37)

goasu984Life
July 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Man, you sound just like the ESPN analysts at the draft with no clue about NC State football. Sure he had Rivers for 4 years, and if I do recall they finished 13th in the country one year and beat Notre Dame in a bowl game. 4th in that conference is saying something, b/c that is a top 15 team. He really only had 2 1st rounders, the 3rd should have been a 2nd rounder but Buffalo reached. And if you notice, the defense was not the problem, it was the offense. Look up how many defensive touchdowns were scored by their opponents. Their record was directly due to the lack of offense, until the end of the season when they finally realized they needed to use their stable of running backs. He may not be that good of a coach, but NC State has grown more than almost any other school in the country, and the next guy will be pie

I'm maried to an NC State fan, so I watch them as much as anyone. The problem with NC State is discipline, and that is a fact. Chuck Amato is not the great coach that everyone says he is, and even NC State fans are seeing that and are turning on him. My entire point is that the pressure may get to him and it coould be good for the Mountaineers.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
There was no I-AA in 1975.
No kidding. But they are Division I-A now and have never been anything different. So id we beat Notre Dame and Alabama in '75, they wouldn't count as I-A wins? Oh OK.

igo4uni
July 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Yes and it's the same reason Delaware was ranked #1 pre-season in 2004 and JMU #1 last year. xcoffeex

2005 Preseason AGS Poll
1. James Madison (45)

2004 Preseason AGS Poll
1. Delaware (37)

Yeah, the previous year's champ should be #1 the next year until they get beat.

I was in Chattanooga last December and was impressed with App's defense, especially the ends. In fact the end caused the fumble that led to a TD that just killed UNI.

I thought Elder was ok, but App was a different team when Williams came into the game.

I hope ASU beats NC State. I always root for I-AA!!

AppGuy04
July 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm maried to an NC State fan, so I watch them as much as anyone. The problem with NC State is discipline, and that is a fact. Chuck Amato is not the great coach that everyone says he is, and even NC State fans are seeing that and are turning on him. My entire point is that the pressure may get to him and it coould be good for the Mountaineers.

He coahced at FSU for what, 19 years? The pressure he has now is nothing compared to that. I am an NC State grad, so I've seen it myself. The problem with most State fans is realism. It's a growing program, it takes time. All the building and remodeling will help in the future, and Chuck knows that, but the fans think its supposed to be an immediate factor. Chuck has recruited the best athletes NC State has ever seen and people still complain. They can go to a Holes or Duke game if they wanna see non-athletic guys play. With talent come mistakes, its all a process. Chuck is building the program like nobody else has, but its not good enough, remind me of another ball coach that now resides in Arizona:rolleyes:

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
No kidding. But they are Division I-A now and have never been anything different. So id we beat Notre Dame and Alabama in '75, they wouldn't count as I-A wins? Oh OK.
:confused: Correct. Was AppSt DII in 1975? You were in the same division, same classification as USC in 1975, so no, they do not count in the way we talk about I-AA vs. I-A wins.

GaSouthern
July 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Everyone knows I am torn on this game, but I think the end of last year, the Pack finally figured out where their talent lies on offense and it wasn't throwing the ball. I think success will continue, though I do think App will keep it close. All my fellow Wolfpackers are cocky as **** lately, saying it will be a blow out, but they know absolutely nothing about App or I-AA football as I do.

NC State- 28
App-17

Sounds realistic, but I do think they CAN win.

If the remaining team that beat furman shows up I expect them to win.

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, the previous year's champ should be #1 the next year until they get beat.
Not always. :twocents:

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Ease up DC. You sound a little like umassfan when somebody says something that isn't 100% glowing about UMass. I agree with DukeDawg in that I believe that in order for Elder to perform well this year, he needs to take care of the ball a LOT better than he did last year. What little I saw of him, he looked like a turnover machine to me. :twocents:
UMass fan? That's a low blow.

Seeing Elder make turnovers in one game against Furman isn't indicative of his body of work.

MYTAPPY
July 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM
He coahced at FSU for what, 19 years? The pressure he has now is nothing compared to that. I am an NC State grad, so I've seen it myself. The problem with most State fans is realism. It's a growing program, it takes time. All the building and remodeling will help in the future, and Chuck knows that, but the fans think its supposed to be an immediate factor. Chuck has recruited the best athletes NC State has ever seen and people still complain. They can go to a Holes or Duke game if they wanna see non-athletic guys play. With talent come mistakes, its all a process. Chuck is building the program like nobody else has, but its not good enough, remind me of another ball coach that now resides in Arizona:rolleyes:

After to what happened with Syndek. Chucky Cheese watch out!!

AppGuy04
July 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM
After to what happened with Syndek. Chucky Cheese watch out!!

Sendek was the scapegoat and Chuck will be too IMO. Both will leave the program 100 times better than what it was before, so they have that much on their resume

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM
UMass fan? That's a low blow.

Seeing Elder make turnovers in one game against Furman isn't indicative of his body of work.
Yeah, sorry about that. But I honestly thought the FU and UNI games were his body of work at ASU. 43 of his 70 pass attempts last year were against FU, UNI and mopping up in the Elon game. 5 TD's and 4 INT's in 70 attempts and I think he put the ball on the rug twice in the FU game.

However, I fully admit that I could be way off base with my assessment of Elder.

goasu984Life
July 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Who really knows how he will play when he knows that he is the starter. I mean, you don't get the snaps with the first team in practice because Richie Williams is the starter, and you get thrust into the spotlight in a playoff game? Who could deal with that? I will wait to judge until he has a few games as a starter under his belt. We'll see.

89Hen
July 20th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Who really knows how he will play... I will wait to judge until he has a few games as a starter under his belt. We'll see.
I agree with that 98. :nod:

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sophomores like Trey do tend to err more than seniors like Richie. However, on the plus side, Elder did pass for a 61.4 % mark last year including the 12 for 17 in the semi-final game.
He also had a 145.40 efficiency rating compared to Richie's 149.40.

Another year under his belt may take care of some of the mistakes.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Who really knows how he will play when he knows that he is the starter. I mean, you don't get the snaps with the first team in practice because Richie Williams is the starter, and you get thrust into the spotlight in a playoff game? Who could deal with that? I will wait to judge until he has a few games as a starter under his belt. We'll see.
The State game will be a tough one for Trey, but at least he's participated in a few pressure situations already unlike Richie when he had to face a ranked Marshall team in Huntington his freshman year.

goasu984Life
July 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah, and knowing that this is his team, and that this is his time to shine will also be good for him. Even though he has been in pressure situations, knowing that this is his team will take some of the pressure off.

TheRock21
July 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Well if anybody in the Charlotte area listened to Packman this afternoon on the radio you would think State was going to win the National Championship. Their fans are expecting a 7-9 win season which is so amusing it hurts! They will win 4-5 games at best. ASU will give them a run for their money, but I think State will pull it out by no more than 10 points.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well if anybody in the Charlotte area listened to Packman this afternoon on the radio you would think State was going to win the National Championship. Their fans are expecting a 7-9 win season which is so amusing it hurts! They will win 4-5 games at best. ASU will give them a run for their money, but I think State will pull it out by no more than 10 points.

Any hints as to whether Packman is going to bring his SFF entourage to Boone again this season? He really missed out on a good season last year.
Or has he stopped the Southern Fried Football thing it altogether?.

TheRock21
July 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
He's on vacation for about another week but he said when he gets back he will release the dates. I've got a feeling it will be the Furman game, all the rest of the dates will be filled with SEC and ACC games

July 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU

The odds are against the I-AA Champs.
Any hints as to whether Packman is going to bring his SFF entourage to Boone again this season?...You guys maybe need to get out a little more...

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU

The odds are against the I-AA Champs. You guys maybe need to get out a little more...
But App State has never gone into any of these games with as good a team, or as inexperienced of a Wolfpack squad. This may be ASU's best chance to get a win against NC State.

July 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
But App State has never gone into any of these games with as good a team, or as inexperienced of a Wolfpack squad. This may be ASU's best chance to get a win against NC State.May be...

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-AA 2006
Any hints as to whether Packman is going to bring his SFF entourage to Boone again this season?...

You guys maybe need to get out a little more...
The odds are against the I-AA Champs.You guys maybe need to get out a little more...

What's that supposed to mean? WFNZ and Packman have treated ASU with respect and brought us needed attention in the state of NC.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2006, 10:29 PM
But App State has never gone into any of these games with as good a team, or as inexperienced of a Wolfpack squad. This may be ASU's best chance to get a win against NC State.

About as good as the year they won on the ref screw job of the Brown to Beasley ASU TD "winning" pass.

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM

This has to be their best shot. The only bad part is that this is the first game. ASU has not done very well in the first game traditionally. I wish them well! I still think they lose in a close one. Losing still does not change the fact they should be the top ranked team heading into the year IMO.

July 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM
What's that supposed to mean? WFNZ and Packman have treated ASU with respect and brought us needed attention in the state of NC.Never heard of WFNZ and Packman is what I meant... I said:
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU
The odds are against the I-AA Champs.

Mr. C
July 20th, 2006, 11:03 PM
About as good as the year they won on the ref screw job of the Brown to Beasley ASU TD "winning" pass.
That reminds me of the ASU game at Wake Forest where Daryl Skinner is about to haul in a 70-yard-or-so TD pass as he breaks about 10 yards behind the Deacon secondary and then he is taken out by the back judge as he is about to catch the ball. Couldn't believe how clueless the official was on that play. Never have ever seen another back judge run over a receiver.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 07:15 AM
NCST 28 ASU 10

Here is hoping for the opposite:beerchug:

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM
That reminds me of the ASU game at Wake Forest where Daryl Skinner is about to haul in a 70-yard-or-so TD pass as he breaks about 10 yards behind the Deacon secondary and then he is taken out by the back judge as he is about to catch the ball. Couldn't believe how clueless the official was on that play. Never have ever seen another back judge run over a receiver.

I had forgotten about that one.
Also, the time the Apps had the lead on Wake in basketball, suddenly all the lights go out in their place for twenty minutes. Great timing.

Nothing ever came as a surprise in the Wake-App match-ups.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 08:02 AM
Never heard of WFNZ and Packman is what I meant... I said:

Oh. He may not have heard of you and us on the AGS either.
But for the record, he's a sports jock (son of Billy Packer) on a Charlotte radio station.

His primetime talk/call in show is also syndicated to:

Primetime Radio Network Charlotte, NC WFNZ, 610-AM (Flagship)
WFNA, 1660-AM
…welcomes our newest affiliates:
Greensboro, NC WBLO, 790-AM
Washington, NC WDLX, 930-AM
Hickory, NC WKGX, 1080-AM
Raleigh, NC WTSB, 1090-AM
Durham, NC WDUR 1490-AM
Clemson, SC WCCP, 104.9-FM
Greenville, NC WGHB, 1250-AM
Florence, SC WWFN, 100.1-

Primetime in the ACC*

City
Station
Frequency

Albemarle WSPC-AM 1010

Asheville WISE-AM 1310
Blairsville, GA WCNG-FM 101.1
Boone WECR-FM 102.3
Brevard WSQL-AM 1240
Bryson City WCVP-FM 101.3
Burlington WPCM-AM 920
Canton WPTL-AM 920
Chapel Hill WCHL-AM 1360
Charlotte WFNZ-AM 610 Airs Primetime in the ACC
Cherryville WCSL-AM 1590
Chesapeake, VA WPHM-AM 1010
Copperhill, TN WCNG 97.9
Durham WDUR-AM 1490
Elizabethtown WGQR-FM 105.7
Fayetteville WFLB-FM 96.5
Fayetteville WAZZ-AM 1490
Gastonia WGNC-AM 1450
Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem WTHZ-FM 94.1
Henderson WIZS-AM 1450
Hendersonville WHKP-AM 1450
Jacksonville WJNC-AM 1240
Kinston WRNS-FM 95.1
Lenoir WJRI-AM 1340
Lexington WLXN-AM 1440
Lincolnton WLON-AM 1050
Martinsville, VA WMVA-AM 1450
Morehead City WTKF-FM 107.3
Murphy WCVP-AM 600
Murphy WCNG-FM 102.7
Nags Head WYND-FM 97.1
New Bern WANG-AM 1330
Raleigh WTRG-FM 100.7
Roanoke Rapids WCBT-AM 1230
Robbinsville WCVP-FM 95.9
Roxboro WRXO-AM 1430
Rutherfordton WCAB-AM 590
Salisbury WSTP-AM 1490
Sanford WFJA-FM 105.5
Shelby WOHS-AM 730
Washington WDLX-AM 930
Whiteville WTXY-AM 1540
Wilkesboro WWWC-AM 1240
Wilmington WMFD-AM 630

It's a local NC, SC, TN, GA thing.

MYTAPPY
July 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM
Never heard of WFNZ and Packman is what I meant... I said:

Mark (Packman) Packer is the son of Billy Packer(basketball commentator). He has a sports talk show headquartered out of Charlotte, but syndicated throughout North and South Carolina. Every fall he has something called the Southern Fried Football Tour. He and some fans visit games throughout the south each weekend. Most of the games are SEC and ACC games, like Georgia/Florida, Clemson/South Carolina, etc.... Every once in a while he vists Boone and he always says he has a great time. He has hinted he will return this season for the Furman or JMU game.

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 08:09 AM
Packman is one of the worst sports shows I've ever heard on radio, his objectivity does not exist.

MYTAPPY
July 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Packman is one of the worst sports shows I've ever heard on radio, his objectivity does not exist.

Maybe so, I was just explaining to Ralph who this guy was..

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM

"his objectivity does not exist"
I'm glad because he always has good things to say about my Apps and had ASU great Dino Hackett as part of his show for years and included KBS as the only non I-A stop on his Southern Fried Football Tour almost every year for a while..
It's his dumb callers that make it bad, but funny.
Still he has 50 stations who pick up his Primetime with packer shows. Somebody likes it.
Never disses ASU. Know any other Charlotte sports guy/girl who doesn't??

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the backup 89Hen. Sorry, but what I saw of Elder simply didn't blow me away like watching Santos, or TxSt Qb, or any QB that has played at W&M for the past "x" years. Simply put, I didn't see a leadership style the way it was visible for so many others in the league. He looked young and raw. He's got talent, more than 90% of I-AA QB, so I am being very discriminate. He played well in HS and I'm sure he'll succeed, but I think App St strength is NOT it's QB this year. Just my opinion, that's all...

And I think a lot of people are underestimating NCST. After reading about them, the have really retooled and I think some of their carzy hot headed players have moved on to "greener" pastures, so the "loss" of players may end up working to their benefit. Also, notice on their schedule that they don't play VT or Miami this year - I think App St might just be one of their toughest games! :smiley_wi

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM
"his objectivity does not exist"
I'm glad because he always has good things to say about my Apps and had ASU great Dino Hackett as part of his show for years and included KBS as the only non I-A stop on his Southern Fried Football Tour almost every year for a while..
It's his dumb callers that make it bad, but funny.
Still he has 50 stations who pick up his Primetime with packer shows. Somebody likes it.
Never disses ASU. Know any other Charlotte sports guy/girl who doesn't??

I'd rather a sports radio host not wear his preferences on his sleeve

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the backup 89Hen. Sorry, but what I saw of Elder simply didn't blow me away like watching Santos, or TxSt Qb, or any QB that has played at W&M for the past "x" years. Simply put, I didn't see a leadership style the way it was visible for so many others in the league. He looked young and raw. He's got talent, more than 90% of I-AA QB, so I am being very discriminate. He played well in HS and I'm sure he'll succeed, but I think App St strength is NOT it's QB this year. Just my opinion, that's all...

And I think a lot of people are underestimating NCST. After reading about them, the have really retooled and I think some of their carzy hot headed players have moved on to "greener" pastures, so the "loss" of players may end up working to their benefit. Also, notice on their schedule that they don't play VT or Miami this year - I think App St might just be one of their toughest games! :smiley_wi

Kid has played only a handful of games, we shall see for sure this year. Is he a Santos? Probably not, atleast not yet. But unlike Santos, he doesn't need to be all world for his team to be successful

89Hen
July 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
But unlike Santos, he doesn't need to be all world for his team to be successful
There may be a couple of people in Durham that may take exception to that.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/imgs/football/galleries/111905/celeb.jpg

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the backup 89Hen. Sorry, but what I saw of Elder simply didn't blow me away like watching Santos, or TxSt Qb, or any QB that has played at W&M for the past "x" years. Simply put, I didn't see a leadership style the way it was visible for so many others in the league. He looked young and raw.

There's a reason for that. Elder was a sophomore back-up QB to the ordained leader of the team, Richie Williams. However, coming in on a moment's notice in the semi-final game vs Furman and throwing a perfectly spotted TD pass on the first play showed a little something.

Richie was the leader and his leadership in the National Championship game bringing his team from behind while limping all over the field, does show the leadership at least as good as any playing last year anywhere.
As has been said, this year it will be Trey's team and he will respond like or better than most junior QB's do.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'd rather a sports radio host not wear his preferences on his sleeve
Know what you mean about Packer and Clemson, but I'd be the same about App if I were in his place. Too, he never snubbs his Clemson nose at App. Can you say that about UNC grad/affiliated sports people? e.g. John Kilgo, Ron Greene and jr.?

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
There may be a couple of people in Durham that may take exception to that.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/imgs/football/galleries/111905/celeb.jpg

Which is fine, its just one man's opinion

AppGuy04
July 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM
Know what you mean about Packer and Clemson, but I'd be the same about App if I were in his place. Too, he never snubbs his Clemson nose at App. Can you say that about UNC grad/affiliated sports people? e.g. John Kilgo, Ron Greene and jr.?

Honestly, more and more sports talk/TV personalities are becoming biased, ie Stu Scott and his obvious UNC ties. The job of a sports talk host is that stay objective and use facts to argue a point when needed, not wear your colors on your sleeve

WUTNDITWAA
July 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Honestly, more and more sports talk/TV personalities are becoming biased, ie Stu Scott and his obvious UNC ties. The job of a sports talk host is that stay objective and use facts to argue a point when needed, not wear your colors on your sleeve

You are comaring apples to oranges there. Stu Scott is a journalist who is getting paid to deliver facts, while Packer is a talk show host who gets paid to entertain and give an opinion. Somewhere ESPN got this backwards, and we have to suffer for it. I have no issue with Packman's love for his alma mater, as long as he keeps it in the sportstainment medium.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Which is fine, its just one man's opinion

And seeing your usual pic of Richardson vs LSU reminded me of the overwhelming number of predictions of LSU to stomp the Apps by 50-70+ last year and what idiots we were for "whoring our selves out" for the payday. Watching the DVD of the game last night pointed out the great thrill the guys and staff had after facing them and making some great plays vs the Tigers. Huge confidence builder for the bid clinching match-up the next week vs rival WCU.

89Hen
July 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
There's a reason for that. Elder was a sophomore back-up QB to the ordained leader of the team, Richie Williams. However, coming in on a moment's notice in the semi-final game vs Furman and throwing a perfectly spotted TD pass on the first play showed a little something.
I hate to use Santos as an example again, but I was at the opening day game in Newark when he made his debut. He was a fourth string freshman behind what most considered the best QB in the A10 in 2004, Mike Granieri, when he went down late in the second quarter of the game. I distinctly remember everyone in the Tub that night breathe a sigh of relief when Granieri left the game so we could feast on their Frosh QB... :bang: 10 of 11 for 146 yards with one TD in the second half. He didn't make a single mistake that night. :nod:

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
. I have no issue with Packman's love for his alma mater, as long as he keeps it in the sportstainment medium.

Exactly. The show is supposed to be a lighthearted hoot everyday, not an objective commentary.
I laugh my tail off at some of the callers and Packers humoring of them, not to mention some of the Queen City B's one liners and outrageous predictions. Nobody is sacred in his quips.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 10:53 AM
I hate to use Santos as an example again, but I was at the opening day game in Newark when he made his debut. He was a fourth string freshman behind what most considered the best QB in the A10 in 2004, Mike Granieri, when he went down late in the second quarter of the game. I distinctly remember everyone in the Tub that night breathe a sigh of relief when Granieri left the game so we could feast on their Frosh QB... :bang: 10 of 11 for 146 yards with one TD in the second half. He didn't make a single mistake that night. :nod:

There's no doubt Santos is already one of the greatest. His stats are already unbelievable.

His situation in your example was similar to freshman Richie having to step in with absolutely never taking a snap in college ball when ASU's heralded Joe Burchette had Friday surgery on his shoulder. First game of the season vs I-A nationally ranked Marshall in Huntington. Coach Moore called it conservatively but Richie showed his soon to become expected poise.

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM
Slim and None

BigApp
July 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM

2005 Preseason AGS Poll
1. James Madison (45)

2004 Preseason AGS Poll
1. Delaware (37)

I think Appalachian returns more starters and key contributors than BOTH of those teams combined.

Really can't compare those 2 (JMU/Delaware) to this team.

With the personnel losses they had, I was COMPLETELY stunned JMU was preseason #1.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Slim and None

You may be right. I'd feel better if State had the nation's current longest losing streak (23 straight) like Duke had in '02 when ECU was about to face them.
Wait, that didn't work out either, huh?

It shouldn't be as bad as last year's slaughter predicted for the ASU-LSU game, though.

BigApp
July 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Any hints as to whether Packman is going to bring his SFF entourage to Boone again this season? He really missed out on a good season last year.

I emailed him that very question about coming to Boone this year, and also asked when the SoutherFriedFootball.com website would be updated. Here is his response:

"We'll have it ready to go in August....you'll enjoy it. We love going to Boone."

I expect to see him in Boone this season!

carney2
July 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM
You may be right. I'd feel better if State had the nation's current longest losing streak (23 straight) like Duke had in '02 when ECU was about to face them.

It shouldn't be as bad as last year's slaughter predicted for the ASU-LSU game, though.

Last year there were, I believe, 3 I-AA victories over I-A programs. This year there are more of these games scheduled and, if we accept 2005 as "normal," then we should be expecting 4 of these "upsets" in 2006. Could this be one of them? Hey, why not. After all, OJ is still looking for "the killer" on golf courses all over Florida, so, theoretically, anything can happen.

What I don't understand is

1. Why the schools schedule these mismatches. (Well, yes I do understand this. It's for the money and the headlines.)

and

2. Why the fans get so excited over these almost certain thrashings.:bang: My momma always told me to pick on someone your own size. She intended the advice for the "little kids" as well as the big ones.

BigApp
July 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM

Hmmm...I listen twice a week and couldn't disagree more. Does he love his alma mater, Clemson? Yep, but he's just as quick to tell you they suck as anyone. Don't believe me? Ask him about Clemson basketball!

I've called in a couple of times (as has DGlenn) and have always been treated with respect, and he is eager to talk about Appalachian athletics as anyone on the dial.

The only unobjective opinions that I know that he carries is of the Dallas Cowboys (particularly their 'fans') and USC-Columbia.

Something tells me you fall into one of those 2 categories.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Last year there were, I believe, 3 I-AA victories over I-A programs. This year there are more of these games scheduled and, if we accept 2005 as "normal," then we should be expecting 4 of these "upsets" in 2006. Could this be one of them? Hey, why not. After all, OJ is still looking for "the killer" on golf courses all over Florida, so, theoretically, anything can happen.

1. Why the schools schedule these mismatches. (Well, yes I do understand this. It's for the money and the headlines.)

and

2. Why the fans get so excited over these almost certain thrashings.:bang: My momma always told me to pick on someone your own size. She intended the advice for the "little kids" as well as the big ones.

Define thrashing. Furman scheduling Virginia Tech in 2010 is scheduling a thrashing. I am not excited about it. Furman scheduling UNC in 2006 is more than likely a loss but no right thinking Furman fan expects to get thrashed. I am looking for ward to this one

carney2
July 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
Define thrashing.

thrash ing (thrash'in) n. ...5. any football contest where the chances of success by "your" team are akin to your chances of picking up a hitchhiking super model while driving through the Mojave Desert, and where the results of said football contest verify the odds.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM
thrash ing (thrash'in) n. ...5. any football contest where the chances of success by "your" team are akin to your chances of picking up a hitchhiking super model while driving through the Mojave Desert, and where the results of said football contest verify the odds.

Let me tell you about my last drive through the Mojave Desert....:smiley_wi

We have a different definition. Thrashin' is what would happen to Lafayette if it played in the SoCon. Thrashing is not expected to occur to an uppoer level SoCon team against a mid level ACC team:smiley_wi

July 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
... Thrashin' is what would happen to Lafayette if it played in the SoCon...Sort of like the thrashing Lafayette took in the playoffs last year?

WMTribe90
July 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Define "success" xlolx

For me success in these early season IA games can take several forms.

These games are good for recruiting.

The energize the fan base.

The expose any weaknesses in your team before starting league play.

The players love the chance to match up with the "big boys"

I don't think WM can beat UMD this year, but if we play well, are competitive and improve as a team than its still a success in my book. The positives far outweigh any negatives real or potential.

KiddBrewer
July 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
the appalachian fan base is as energized as it has ever been....id say the most excited about football season of any north carolina school for sure.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Sort of like the thrashing Lafayette took in the playoffs last year?

Did you notice the smiley wink.

The point is this. ASU thrashed Lafayette as bad as Pitt thrashed Furman or Clemson thrashed Furman the last time they played. The point is that yes most of the time I-A's will beat I-AA's but I don't consider most of Furman's recent I-A games as a thrashing.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Let me tell you about my last drive through the Mojave Desert....:smiley_wi

We have a different definition. Thrashin' is what would happen to Lafayette if it played in the SoCon. Thrashing is not expected to occur to an uppoer level SoCon team against a mid level ACC team:smiley_wi

Lafayette played ASU pretty close. You don't think they would finish 3rd or 4th in the SoCon?

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Did you notice the smiley wink.

The point is this. ASU thrashed Lafayette as bad as Pitt thrashed Furman or Clemson thrashed Furman the last time they played. The point is that yes most of the time I-A's will beat I-AA's but I don't consider most of Furman's recent I-A games as a thrashing.

And I don't expect NCSU to "thrash" ASU. Beat them, Thrash them not close.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Lafayette played ASU pretty close. You don't think they would finish 3rd or 4th in the SoCon?

It was a joke in resonse to another post

carney2
July 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Thrashin' is what would happen to Lafayette if it played in the SoCon.

Would have agreed with you two years ago.

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Would have agreed with you two years ago.

Understand the comment was a reply to the Thrash comment.
I consider thrashing getting beat like Colgate did against UNH. Also, understand that the last time Furman played UNC Furman thrashed them. So I don't think Furman scheduling UNC or ASU scheduling NCSU is scheduling a team to get thrashed. It is honestly scheduling a team that we will probably lose to but not necesarily get a thrashing.

Sorry I should have explained in this fashion first.

July 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
sorry OLFU, flew right over my head!

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
sorry OLFU, flew right over my head!

That's ok. I was only half-way joking:D

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM
And I don't expect NCSU to "thrash" ASU. Beat them, Thrash them not close.

We don't have to schedule I-A's to get our thrashings. GSU and Chatt provided those just fine a couple years ago.:(

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM
I emailed him that very question about coming to Boone this year, and also asked when the SoutherFriedFootball.com website would be updated. Here is his response:

"We'll have it ready to go in August....you'll enjoy it. We love going to Boone."

I expect to see him in Boone this season!

Works for me, BigApp.:thumbsup:

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM

LSU shut you out and beat you by 3 TD's. I call that a slaughter/thrashing. Not sure what you guys call it.

BTW we have won 6 out of the last 10 against NC State. Yeah we lost to Duke in a monsoon, we also beat a top 25 team that year as well.

Duke won some games that year and scared some people. It's not like they don't have some talent players, ask Georgia Tech and Clemson....they just play in a tough conference.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM

and

First of all, football is for guys with nads.

Second. Depends on the match-up and the money. ASU's 24 pt loss at top 10 LSU for $750,000 last year and the excitement and motivation it provided for the players was a no-brainer. We got a $0 for the 50 pt loss to GSU in Statesboro the prior year.
Simple mathematics.

In addition, App has seldom (%-wise) been embarrassed by in the dozens of I-A games it has participated in. Buncha games decided by 10 pts or less. Not to mention a few wins.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM

Looks like Furman picked up a Christie Brinkley the other year when they beat the crap out of the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill the other year..:hurray:

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM

Second. Depends on the match-up and the money. ASU's 24 pt loss at top 10 LSU for $750,000 last year and the excitement and motivation it provided for the players was a no-brainer. We got a $0 for the 50 pt loss to GSU in Statesboro the prior year.
Simple mathematics.

In addition, App has seldom (%-wise) been embarrassed by in the dozens of I-A games it has participated in. Buncha games decided by 10 pts or less. Not to mention a few wins.

Hawaii, Marshall, Wyoming, Kansas in the last 5 years???

OL FU
July 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM

Simple mathematics.

Yes it is all relative depending upon past experience. :nod:
I can understand some one saying, other than money why would you play Texas, but UNC and NC State are not Texas.

July 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
LSU shut you out and beat you by 3 TD's. I call that a slaughter/thrashing. Not sure what you guys call it...I call it a shutout. A slaughter is what happened when your team played so miss last year when you lost by a wider margin. Don't go away mad I-A fan, just go away.

Mr. C
July 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
LSU shut you out and beat you by 3 TD's. I call that a slaughter.

BTW we have won 6 out of the last 10 against NC State. Yeah we lost to Duke in a monsoon, we also beat a top 25 team that year as well. It was up and down.
Obviously you don't have a clue about what actually happened at the ASU-LSU game last fall. LSU built a 14-0 lead at the end of the first half and then struggled against the Mountaineers. ASU had a dropped TD pass that would have cut it to 14-7 in the third quarter (a drop by the usually dependable Kevin Richardson, who was the team's leading receiver) and then drove the ball down near the goal line again on the next possession of the third quarter, but came up empty after one bad play call that resulted in negative yardage and a field goal attempt that hit the upright. It should have been 14-14, or 14-10 after three quarters. After giving LSU their best shot on those two drives, the Mountaineers ran out of gas in the fourth quarter and the Tigers tacked on 10 more points. LSU came away with nothing but respect for ASU and the playoff selection committee came away thinking ASU was worthy of a No. 2 seed after playing a team that would be ranked No. 3 in the BCS just one week later so tough on the road before over 91,000 Tiger fans. This was a competitive game. It was nothing close to a thrashing. A thrashing is what Wyoming gave ASU the year before in the season opener, winning 53-7.

July 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Obviously you don't have a clue...That he doesn't have a clue has already been established Mr. C.

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
I call it a shutout. A slaughter is what happened when your team played so miss last year when you lost by a wider margin. Don't go away mad I-A fan, just go away.

Nahhh you don't have a clue. See I can use the same insane logic some of you guys use to explain away the S. Miss and Tulsa losses.

The score was 7-10 with 2 mins left to go in the first half. We fumbled and S. Miss got an easy score and we "ran out of gas" off and they added some garbage points. We lost 33-7

Tulsa.... We actually lead 13-10 at halftime. We had a roughing the punter and gave them an easy score we "ran out of gas" and lost 45-13

See that's easy to do. Most games are competitive for a half. Doesn't change the fact you lost by 24 points and got shutout.

*ECU lost by 5 points to #5 sugar bowl champ West Virginia in Morangtown. Guess you missed that score.

July 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM
Nahhh you don't have a clue... The score was 7-10 with 2 mins left to go in the first half...riiiiiiight son. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

you even got the facts wrong!

1st 10:26 USM - Darren Mccaleb 45 yd field goal, 5-8 1:52, USM 3 - ECU 0
2nd 09:30 USM - Tavar Williams 13 yd run (Darren Mccaleb kick), 11-77 4:04, USM 10 - ECU 0
06:23 ECU - Johnson, Chris 1 yd run (Lee, Robert kick), 7-74 3:07, USM 10 - ECU 7
04:41 USM - Darren Mccaleb 43 yd field goal, 4-21 1:42, USM 13 - ECU 7
00:09 USM - Shawn Nelson 33 yd pass from Dustin Almond (Darren Mccaleb kick), 8-88 1:20, USM 20 - ECU 7
3rd 13:39 USM - Ant Courington 74 yd pass from Dustin Almond (Darren Mccaleb kick), 3-80 1:21, USM 27 - ECU 7
07:03 USM - Darren Mccaleb 21 yd field goal, 9-90 3:20, USM 30 - ECU 7
4th 14:52 USM - Darren Mccaleb 32 yd field goal, 11-40 5:02, USM 33 - ECU 7

Don't bring punchless arguments in these parts son...

Cap'n Cat
July 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Don't go away mad I-A fan, just go away.

LMFatAO!!!!!!

Dude kinda reminds me of YSU's I-AA Fan!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

July 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM
... you even got the facts wrong!...gawd I feel dirty even just retrieving those stats... xlolx

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 03:36 PM
riiiiiiight son. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

you even got the facts wrong!

1st 10:26 USM - Darren Mccaleb 45 yd field goal, 5-8 1:52, USM 3 - ECU 0
2nd 09:30 USM - Tavar Williams 13 yd run (Darren Mccaleb kick), 11-77 4:04, USM 10 - ECU 0
06:23 ECU - Johnson, Chris 1 yd run (Lee, Robert kick), 7-74 3:07, USM 10 - ECU 7
04:41 USM - Darren Mccaleb 43 yd field goal, 4-21 1:42, USM 13 - ECU 7
00:09 USM - Shawn Nelson 33 yd pass from Dustin Almond (Darren Mccaleb kick), 8-88 1:20, USM 20 - ECU 7
3rd 13:39 USM - Ant Courington 74 yd pass from Dustin Almond (Darren Mccaleb kick), 3-80 1:21, USM 27 - ECU 7
07:03 USM - Darren Mccaleb 21 yd field goal, 9-90 3:20, USM 30 - ECU 7
4th 14:52 USM - Darren Mccaleb 32 yd field goal, 11-40 5:02, USM 33 - ECU 7

Don't bring punchless arguments in these parts son...

Ok so it was 7-13 and we fumbled and S. Miss scored with 9 seconds left to go in the 1st half. WOW that was so different from what I recalled almost 10 months ago from memory! Gezz really busted me.

Fact is App State lost by 3 TD's and was shut out. That's a thrashing, and if that's your moral victory for all of D1aa that's pretty weak IMO.

July 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ok so it was 7-13 and we fumbled and S. Miss scored with 9 seconds left to go in the 1st half...Uh, there was no fumble there. so miss took over from a punt and flat out scored again on your team to take a 20-7 HT lead. Do you actually think you can bring lies up here and pass them off as truth?? Gawd, check out your own stats:
http://ecupirates.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/ecu1001.html

Fact is you got thumped WORSE by a LESSER team.

I do want to say this all is meant as no offense to ECU. Just posting facts.

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Uh, there was no fumble there. so miss took over from a punt and flat out scored again on your team to take a 20-7 HT lead. Do you actually think you can bring lies up here and pass them off as truth?? Gawd, check out your own stats:
http://ecupirates.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/ecu1001.html

Fact is you got thumped WORSE by a LESSER team.

I do want to say this all is meant as no offense to ECU. Just posting facts.

Dude that was 10 months ago, BUT I obviously recall some fumbles in the first half....

ECU 1st E26 15:00 Kickoff E36 12:18 Fumble 5-10 02:42
ECU 1st E24 10:26 Kickoff U07 07:51 Fumble 9-69 02:35
ECU 1st E15 02:38 Fumble U23 13:34 Fumble 9-62 04:04

Check it out we were either driving or gave them good position.

We lost by 15-20 to #5 Sugar bowl champ West Virginia in Morgantown. I guess that's our moral victory against a better team.

July 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM
Dude that was 10 months ago...:rolleyes:

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Maybe one day a D1aa team will defeat a real D1 that finishes with a winning record. Hasn't happened that I am aware of.

Biggest D1aa wins I an even think of are

Davis over 5-6 Stanford
Furman over 3-8 UNC
Northwestern St over TCU 6-6

Heck even bad D1a's have upset some top 5 teams. In 1999 a 3-8 Cincinnati team beat Big 10 Champ/ Rose bowl Champ Wisconsin. 3 touchdown shutouts moral victories don't count IMO.

Even some of the worst ECU teams have handled the class of D1aa

1984 ECU (2-9) vs Georgia Southern (8-3)................................................ ..........ECU won
1986 ECU (2-9) vs Georgia Southern (13-2 #4 D1aa, D1aa National Champion).........ECU won
1987 ECU (5-6) vs Georgia Southern (9-4 #6 D1aa)............................................E CU won
1993 ECU (2-9) vs Central Florida (9-3 #12 D1aa)............................................. ...ECU won
2001 ECU (6-6) vs Bill & Mary (8-4 D1aa #17).............................................. .......ECU won

38-2 vs double a's teams since the spilt of D1, with the only two loss's coming a couple of years after the split in 1980-81 when some schools were actually categorized as D1. It's another level guys. I don't see you beating NC State.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 05:28 PM
Even some of the worst ECU teams have handled the class of D1aa

1984 ECU (2-9) vs Georgia Southern (8-3)................................................ ..........ECU won1986 ECU (2-9) vs Georgia Southern (13-2 #4 D1aa, D1aa National Champion).........ECU won
1987 ECU (5-6) vs Georgia Southern (9-4 #6 D1aa)............................................E CU won
1993 ECU (2-9) vs Central Florida (9-3 #12 D1aa)............................................. ...ECU won
2001 ECU (6-6) vs Bill & Mary (8-4 D1aa #17).............................................. .......ECU won

38-2 vs double a's teams since the spilt of D1, with the only two loss's coming a couple of years after the split in 1980-81 when some schools were actually categorized as D1. It's another level guys. I don't see you beating NC State.

WhoooBoy! Got a love your 1984, 1993, 2001 examples. Class of I-AA! What a hoot! Newsflash! GSU had only re-started football 3 years prior. The 8-3 record you mentioned included wins over such teams as Bethune-Cookman, Newberry (xlolx), Presbyterian xlolx , Valdosta State xlolx , Liberty (who was even more horrible in those days), etc. They even LOST to a bad ETSU team that year, too.
Congratulations on joining such a crowd! With a whopping 7 point margin! :bow: :bow:

Not to mention ECU's spectacular accomplishment in defeating another of your "class of I-AA's " Central Florida in '93. Youngstown dispatched them in the first round of the play-offs racking up 56 pts on them.

Oh, ECU 6-6 handled William & Mary in Greenville in '01. Impressive as ASU likewise whipped them in the first round 40-27. Newsflash you guys won a bowl game that year. "Even the worst of ECU teams handled the class of I-AA"
"It's another level guys." :rolleyes:
I'm so impressed I could just s...!

Appstate29
July 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
while we are sitting here spitting out facts....whats the all time record ECU vs. ASU??? just curious.

on to other things, you know what....I think ECU is terrified of scheduling a good I-AA like ASU, because they know theres a pretty good chance they will get beat and look terrible and get made fun of even more than they already are, happens a lot nowadays, anyway maybe in the future we will be able to continue the ASU-ECU rivalry.

July 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe one day a D1aa team will defeat a real D1...spinning wheel goes round and round... xlolx

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
while we are sitting here spitting out facts....whats the all time record ECU vs. ASU??? just curious.

on to other things, you know what....I think ECU is terrified of scheduling a good I-AA like ASU, because they know theres a pretty good chance they will get beat and look terrible and get made fun of even more than they already are, happens a lot nowadays, anyway maybe in the future we will be able to continue the ASU-ECU rivalry.

-from 1932-1962 ECU and APP played 21 times ECU lost17 of those to App State In this time period

ECU Classified as
1937-1965 NCAA College Division (Small College)
1966-1972 NCAA University Division (Major College)

APP State Classified as
1937-1951 No Classification
1952-1970 NAIA

I have to question was that even apples to apples.

We took a 10 year break from playing from 1962-1972 I am guessing because we moved to a Major College (with all the big schools) in which time ECU soared under the leadership of Leo Jenkins. In 1972 you joined the Southern conference where we had been a member since 1965 (with such other schools as West Virginia). D1 was founded and we both joined Division 1 that year.

You want to brag about some games from 1930 to 1960 that's cool BUT.....

When apples were to apples

-from 1972-1979 (in D1/SoCo)ECU was 6-2 vs APP

1972 35-7 ECU
1973 49-14 ECU
1974 21-23 App
1975 25-41 App
1976 35-7 ECU
1977 45-14 ECU
1978 33-8 ECU
1979 38-21 ECU

We we won 4 Southern Conference titles in 5 years from 1972-1976 and were 41-7 vs Southern conference teams (why did you think we stayed with the big schools?) and then moved up and helped found D1a as an INDY in 1977.

Haven't played since................ 38-2 vs D1aa's since the split in 1978 and the only two loss's were 1980 and 1981 when some schools were still classified as D1.

As far as playing D1aa's got nothing to do with dodging you. You move up we will play you......

OOC Schedules

Miami
West Virginia
NC State
Duke
@South Carolina

Virginia Tech
Syracuse
@Duke
@West Virginia

Wake Forest
William & Mary (D1aa)
@ Syracuse
@North Carolina

@Duke
@Wake Forest
@West Virginia

West Virginia
North Carolina
@Miami
@ Wake Forest

Wake Forest
NC State (Charlotte)
@West Virginia

Duke
@Wake Forest
@ West Virginia

VIRGINIA
WEST VIRGINIA
@ Navy
@ N.C. State

NORTH CAROLINA
N.C. STATE
VIRGINIA TECH (Charlotte)
@West Virginia

WEST VIRGINIA
@Virginia
@Virginia Tech
TBA

VIRGINIA TECH
@N.C. State
@North Carolina
@West Virginia

NAVY
N.C. STATE
@North Carolina
@Virginia Tech

VIRGINIA TECH
NORTH CAROLINA
@Navy
TBA

NAVY
@Virginia Tech
TBA
TBA

VIRGINIA TECH
@N.C State
TBA
TBA

@VIRGINIA TECH

VIRGINIA TECH

9 games in 9 years 4 home 4 away 1 neutral with Virginia Tech. We are going a different direction from most D1's in our OOC.... namely not D1aa's. We have always been anyone anywhere anytime.

JMU Duke Dog
July 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM
9 games in 9 years 4 home 4 away 1 neutral with Virginia Tech.

:lmao:

Everyone that is from the mid-Atlantic region knows that Virginia Tech will schedule easy opponents for its nonconference games! This is obviously why they scheduled East Carolina!

July 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM
-from 1932-1962 ECU and APP played 21 times ECU lost all 17 of those to App State In this time period.spinning wheel goes round and round...

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 06:03 PM

Everyone that is from the mid-Atlantic region knows that Virginia Tech will schedule easy opponents for its nonconference games! This is obviously why they scheduled East Carolina!

Is that why the series is only 4-8 ECU vs Virginia Tech??? No... this isn't from the 1950's, the series started in the late 80's.

89Hen
July 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I think Appalachian returns more starters and key contributors than BOTH of those teams combined.

I guess... minus the guy who led them in the second half of the NC game. :twocents:

July 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM
I guess... minus the guy who led them in the second half of the NC game. :twocents:Hold it, it was Murrell who forced the fumble that decided the game and Richardson who scored their only two offensive TDs. Both of them are back.

89Hen
July 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hold it, it was Murrell who forced the fumble that decided the game and Richardson who scored their only two offensive TDs. Both of them are back.
Damn, they have you brainwashed too! We will see. My prediction is Elder to turn the ball over 6 times in the first two games. I'm now on record.

StillJonesing
July 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM

Even if you were correct.... seriously who they VISIT 4 times???? No wait!!!! who the hell else are they even giving home and homes much less visiting 4 times as part of a 4-4 and one neutral deal????? Western Mich??? Akron?? 4 home games and one in Charlotte in 9 years. We have averaged well over 40k when we were good and beating top 10 Miami teams and ranked as high as #15 6 years ago...... and even 30-35k when we are horrible. That's why we can pull deals like this with VT, UVA, NCSU, WV, and UNC.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/StillJonesing/stadium.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/StillJonesing/ncstategamesmaller.jpg

July 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Damn, they have you brainwashed too! We will see. My prediction is Elder to turn the ball over 6 times in the first two games. I'm now on record.Naw, ask any MMB person and you'd know I have a vendetta against ASU (or is that UD/Georgia Southern/UNI/UM/MAAC/PFL/NEC etc.), hate them, will do anything to put them down! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Anyway, Elder is under the gun no doubt and your prediction may be reasonable.

JMU Duke Dog
July 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM

With the personnel losses they had, I was COMPLETELY stunned JMU was preseason #1.

:confused: Who did we lose that made you think we could not be #1 last preseason? I know Leon Steinfeld but the Dukes returned a lot of people in 2005 from the 2004 season.

July 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM
:confused: Who did we lose that made you think we could not be #1 last preseason? I know Leon Steinfeld but the Dukes returned a lot of people in 2005 from the 2004 season.Dukes were a couple plays from the playoffs and another run in 2005.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hold it, it was Murrell who forced the fumble that decided the game and Richardson who scored their only two offensive TDs. Both of them are back.

If the key word is "led," then 89hen may be right. Murrell, Richardson, and Hunter were definitely the heroes of the game, though.

WUTNDITWAA
July 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Even if you were correct.... seriously who the hell DO they VISIT 4 times???? No wait!!!! who the hell else are they even giving home and homes much less visiting 4 times as part of a 4-4 and one neutral deal????? Western Mich??? Akron?? 4 home games and one in Charlotte in 9 years. We have averaged well over 40k when we were good and beating top 10 Miami teams and ranked as high as #15 6 years ago...... and even 30-35k when we are horrible. That's why we can pull deals like this with VT, UVA, NCSU, WV, and UNC.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/StillJonesing/stadium.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/StillJonesing/ncstategamesmaller.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/StillJonesing/bridgeforth.jpg

Nope. You "pull deals like that" because the eastern-biased NC legislature made UNC and NCState play you guys on a home and home basis, Terry Holland is your athletic director, WV plays in small football conference and needs the games and VT is always looking for an easy win.

TBA: 2008. Play us and you'll again see a sellout crowd. Right now all you got is a crowd of sellouts.

AppGuy04
July 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I see alot of L's in ECU's OOC schedule over the next 10 years

SoCon48
July 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
I see alot of L's in ECU's OOC schedule over the next 10 years
BINGO!

SoCon48
July 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
We have averaged well over 40k when we were good ..... and even 30-35k when we are horrible
Hope all those people travelled to Duke's Wally-Wade to get to see ECU make national headlines by ending Duke's 23 game streak. Losing streak that is. Duke fans were chanting "Thank god for the Pirates, Thank you for ECU!" Being a closet Duke fan since the Jay Wilkinson days..I was, too.

ECU's football legacy.

BigApp
July 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
:confused: Who did we lose that made you think we could not be #1 last preseason? I know Leon Steinfeld but the Dukes returned a lot of people in 2005 from the 2004 season.

From your own school's website:
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/QuickFacts/2.asp?TeamID=2

'04 Lettermen Lost (24) Offense: 12, Defense: 10, Specialists: 2
Starters Return (11) Offense: 5, Defense: 6

July 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
...the Dukes returned a lot of people in 2005 from the 2004 season.’04 Lettermen Return (41) Offense: 18, Defense: 18, Specialists: 5
That included most of the Dukes stars.

lambertjr
July 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
I'll give them a good chance.

BigApp
July 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
That's why we can pull deals like this with VT, UVA, NCSU, WV, and UNC.

you can pull 'em off because of the extortion tactics (such as withholding government funding for government projects) by the elected officials from your area.

of course, you guys call it "just politics". To the rest of us its called blackmail and extortion.

BigApp
July 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Fact is App State lost by 3 TD's and was shut out. That's a thrashing, and if that's your moral victory for all of D1aa that's pretty weak IMO.

let's take a gander at a few post-game intimacies, shall we:

yes, the Tigers outgained the Mountaineers 371-256 in a turnover-free game, but the Mountaineers held a five-minute edge in possession time.

The Mountaineers rushed for 176 yards, more than the Tigers and against a defense that had allowed just 97 a game.

Les Miles, the Tigers' coach, said: "I tried to let our team know that (ASU) is a good football team, it didn't make any different what division they're in. They have all the ingredients, a great quarterback, a great scheme. I thought we played well."

Not to mention the fact we left at least 17 points on the field.

I'll take that kind of "thrashing" anyday.

StillJonesing
July 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
xlolx It's great to have political clout.

You are correct the first home and home series was instigated by the NC legislature. In fact UNC wouldn't EVEN play us for 20 years, much less home and homes, just to demonstrate how much clout we were pulling here. (UNC wanted funds for maintenance of the Dean Dome BTW, just like the state should be footing that bill). The legislature knew this was obviously good for the state of NC financially for ECU to play UNC and NCSU and made it happen.

UNC and NCSU wised up when they saw 50k in the stands at $40 dollars ticket even for two 0-6 teams in 2003 and just the overall interest. That is why they voluntarily added us for extra HOME and HOMES, because they like the money they can make as well off the deal. Hope you didn't miss that part. They VOLUNTARILY ADDED the rest of the HOME AND HOMES.

Also Terry Holland is GREAT no question about it, but FL State, Miami, Syracuse, S. Carolina, NC State, UNC, West Virginia, Pitt, Virgina Tech and others all came to Greenville before he got here. We had a 10 game home and home with Syracuse so there was precedent.

Man you guys are defensive, all I said was "slim to none".

AppGuy04
July 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
There is no doubt that ECU has great fans and very loyal, but the product on the field has been lacking for quite some time

StillJonesing
July 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Anyway I hope you beat the snot out of NC State. I honestly do. Hopefully we can both put bookend wins on there season. I just don't think you have a real shot and that's all I said. I think the NC State game is going to be a hard game for us to win as well, they have some serious talent. They may even have enough talent to win the ACC, if they had a coach.

One thing that worries me is Tressman is a good offensive coach and in year two of the offense I think it will be much better. The defense is already strong. Hopefully they continue to kill themselves with penalties this year.

July 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
What's "the ACC"????? I know the BSC, GFC, GWFC, MAAC, MEAC, NEC, OVC, SLC and SWAC but can't say I've ever heard of the "ACC." I know it isn't a conference playing for the NCAA football championship in D-I, do they sponsor football? Maybe the member meant "CAA" because they begin sponsoring D-I championship football next year.

JMU1992
July 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
App St. appears to be getting some respect by several of the NC St. fans

http://mb17.scout.com/fnorthcarolinastatefrm1.showMessage?topicID=58856. topic

GGASU
July 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

Ok App fans this is what I have done to get tickets.

NCSU is offering a 3 game package (ASU,Wake, and ECU) for $100. I bought a block of 8 (most allowed) and am going to sell the ECU and Wake tickets.

Here is the link, will sell out quickly so get them while you can.
http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB&linkID=ncsu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
App St. appears to be getting some respect by several of the NC St. fans

http://mb17.scout.com/fnorthcarolinastatefrm1.showMessage?topicID=58856. topic

Great link and thoughts from the NCST side. Many idiots and many intelligent fans, like all home team message boards.

What strikes me is the fact that I-AA is clolsing the gap in talent / ability despite the smaller school sizes, smaller budgets for athletics, etc. I think the NCSTs of the world are realizing that the top teams in I-AA are on par or better than many I-A teams - a sentiment we have known for a much longer time...

KiddBrewer
July 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
I think there are a lot of idiots out there who know absolutely nothing about Appalachian State, but just because the "I-AA" label is beside them, they believe that they are playing a team with the talent of a AAA High School Football team.........For these fans, it would brighten my day, week, and year if app goes to raleigh and brings home a win. but as we all know, if app does win, it will because state "played terrible and they gave it to us", not because app was the better team......just the **** that being I-AA brings on a good team.

StillJonesing
July 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think there are a lot of idiots out there who know absolutely nothing about Appalachian State, but just because the "I-AA" label is beside them, they believe that they are playing a team with the talent of a AAA High School Football team.........For these fans, it would brighten my day, week, and year if app goes to raleigh and brings home a win. but as we all know, if app does win, it will because state "played terrible and they gave it to us", not because app was the better team......just the **** that being I-AA brings on a good team.

You have a 3rd less scholarships, that is a big deal.

July 23rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
You have a 3rd less scholarships, that is a big deal.*sigh* 1/3 of 85 is 28. Are you saying ASU has 57 scholarships?

Saint3333
July 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'd say ASU has a better chance than ECU against NCSU.

AppGuy04
July 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM

We shall find out this year

StillJonesing
July 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

What makes you say that?? We are 9-14 against them. We are even better in the last 10 winning 6 of the 10. Like the NC State fans say you can throw out records those games for the most part are always competitive.

JMU1992
July 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
*sigh* 1/3 of 85 is 28. Are you saying ASU has 57 scholarships?

OK, so I-AA has 20 fewer scholarships. That's still a pretty big deal.

I have always maintained that the difference in the better I-AA teams and the mediocre to bad I-A teams is depth. I expect App. St. to hang for about 3 qtrs but then the difference in depth will begin to show with NC St. pulling away for about a 34-10 win.

July 23rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
OK, so I-AA has 20 fewer scholarships. That's still a pretty big deal...xlolx xlolx 85-63=22 xlolx xlolx Substantial? Yes. :nod: Always playing at the I-A? Yes. Can I-AA beat I-A even against those odds? Yes. :nod:

StillJonesing
July 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Can I-AA beat I-A even against those odds? Yes. :nod:

Name all the "Big" D1aa wins, even close calls.... You say it can happen, sure but what are the odds?

Saint3333
July 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
What makes you say that?? We are 9-14 against them. We are even better in the last 10 winning 6 of the 10. Like the NC State fans say you can throw out records those games for the most part are always competitive.

Because I think ASU will field a better team than ECU in 2006. :twocents:

StillJonesing
July 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Because I think ASU will field a better team than ECU in 2006. :twocents:

:eyebrow: what ever.....

RabidRabbit
July 23rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
App St. has some of the best horses in I-AA. They have a legit shot. Do I EXPECT ASU to win? No. Can they? yes. Will they? AGS. Think they'll conver the spread tho.

July 23rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Name all the "Big" D1aa wins, even close calls.... You say it can happen, sure but what are the odds?Name the I-A conference(s) whose teams have NOT lost to a I-AA. xlolx xlolx

89Hen
July 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM
:confused: Last wins by ECU 1999 and 1996 when the current players were in grade school. Last game 2004 NCSt 52 - ECU 14, not very competitive. xcoffeex

AppGuy04
July 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM
:confused: Last wins by ECU 1999 and 1996 when the current players were in grade school. Last game 2004 NCSt 52 - ECU 14, not very competitive. xcoffeex

Ignorance is bliss, but we won't have to worry about him anymore

Maroons
July 24th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'd love to see it happen as I love watching the "almighty I-A powers" tumble before the teams of the I-AA world but I'm skeptical.

Granted, it's a new season and App. State has all the momentum of a freight train, but...

EKU was a mutual opponent of both NC State and App. State in 2005 and judging by those results, things are not encouraging.

Appalachian State 7 7 7 3 - 24
Eastern Kentucky 7 0 0 9 - 16

ASU 7, EKU 0 - Richie Williams 3-yard run (9:55, 1st)
ASU 7, EKU 7 - Mark Dunn 2-yard run (0:29, 1st)
ASU 14, EKU 7 - Jason Hunter 5-yard fumble rec. (14:33, 2nd)
ASU 21, EKU 7 - Jermane Litt le 88-yard pass from Williams (14:07, 3rd)
ASU 21, EKU 10 - Taylor Long 22-yard fi eld goal (12:30, 4th)
ASU 21, EKU 16 - Kyle Barber 27-yard pass from Josh Greco (4:07, 4th)
ASU 24, EKU 16 - Julian Ranch 21-yard fi eld goal (0:48, 4th)

ASU EKU
First Downs 12 25
Rushing Yardage 100 189
Passing Yardage 234 266
Passes 16-31-0 19-33-2
Punting 8-32.9 5-44.0
Fumbles-Lost 0-0 2-2
Penalties-Yards 11-100 7-58
3rd Dn. Conv. 4-14 5-16
Red Zone Scores 2-2 2-3
Sacks-Yards Lost 6-34 0-0
Time of Poss. 21:56 38:04

Eastern Kentucky 0 7 3 0 - 10
NC State 31 7 10 6 - 54

NCSU 7, EKU 0 - Toney Baker 13-yard pass from Jay Davis (14:06, 1st)
NCSU 10, EKU 0 - John Deraney 31-yard fi eld goal (7:43, 1st)
NCSU 17, EKU 0 - Baker 32-yard run (7:04, 1st)
NSCU 24, EKU 0 - Baker 3-yard run (4:52, 1st)
NSCU 31, EKU 0 - Andre Brown 7-yard run (3:53, 1st)
NCSU 38, EKU 0 - Tremain Hall 8-yard pass from Davis (14:52, 2nd)
NCSU 38, EKU 7 - Steven Cassell 20-yard fumble recovery (4:20, 2nd)
NCSU 45, EKU 7 - Darrell Blackman 70-yard pass from Davis (13:28, 3rd)
NCSU 45, EKU 10 - Taylor Long 24-yard fi eld goal (10:18, 3rd)
NCSU 48, EKU 10 - Deraney 37-yard fi eld goal (7:04, 3rd)
NCSU 54, EKU 10 - Geron James 5-yard pass from Marcus Stone, PAT blocked (7:08, 4th)

EKU NCSU
First Downs 13 20
Rushing Yardage 48 189
Passing Yardage 180 286
Passes 10-37-2 18-28-1
Punting 10-33.0 5-46.8
Fumbles-Lost 4-3 3-3
Penalties-Yards 8-59 8-77
3rd Dn. Conv. 1-14 2-11
Red Zone Scores 1-3 7-7
Sacks-Yards Lost 0-0 2-15
Time of Poss. 28:22 31:38

MYTAPPY
July 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM
All I'm hoping for right now is a good game. I have a brother along with some friends that attended NCSU. We are all tailgating together starting around noon that day (kickoff at 6pm). I already have my tickets and can't wait.
GO APPS!!

SoCon48
July 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Maroons]I'd love to see it happen as I love watching the "almighty I-A powers" tumble before the teams of the I-AA world but I'm skeptical.

Granted, it's a new season and App. State has all the momentum of a freight train, but...

EKU was a mutual opponent of both NC State and App. State in 2005 and judging by those results, things are not encouraging.

Appalachian State 7 7 7 3 - 24
Eastern Kentucky 7 0 0 9 - 16

Couple points about your comparison, maroon.. You played ASU our opening game before we got any kinks out. You played us in the friendly confines of Roy Kidd Stadium. Your only loss at home. You played NC State in Raleigh and after they had a game under thir belt with V Tech.
You had a similar outcome at Eastern Illinois (53-22). (who fell relatively easily to the team we disposed of in the play-offs-Southern Ill)

Had you played us at the Rock after Kansas it may have been a different outcome stat wise.

When making mutual opponent comparisons, have to take in all the variables.

SoCon48
July 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Funny how those little details get left out. But I now see where he gets his "slim to none" idea.

AppGuy04
July 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Couple points about your comparison, maroon.. You played ASU our opening game before we got any kinks out. You played us in the friendly confines of Roy Kidd Stadium. Your only loss at home. You played NC State in Raleigh and after they had a game under thir belt with V Tech.
You had a similar outcome at Eastern Illinois (53-22). (who fell relatively easily to the team we disposed of in the play-offs-Southern Ill)

Had you played us at the Rock after Kansas it may have been a different outcome stat wise.

Calm down brotha, he did prefeace his statement. I agree that its not a very good comparison, but it is a comparison nonetheless. The most obvious was that EKU was playing App at home and NC State has EKU at home, that affects things plenty.

Maroons
July 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I couldn't agree more. The comparisons are only so useful as so many things influence the outcome of a football game. Just thought it was interesting food for thought.

But notice how in the box scores of each game, turnovers kept EKU from making the App game more interesting (and it was already very interesting) but also kept NCSU from really blowing out the Colonels. Change those 5 or so plays and both of those games could have been radically different (Though I'd hate to imagine a score worse than 54-10).

SoCon48
July 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Calm down brotha, he did prefeace his statement. I agree that its not a very good comparison, but it is a comparison nonetheless. The most obvious was that EKU was playing App at home and NC State has EKU at home, that affects things plenty.

"Calm down, brotha"? Who ain't calm?
Just pointing out the differences in the two games. I'm a big believer in using mutual opponents in making predictions, but allowance have to be made for conditions, key injuries, home field advantage, time of season, returning players who have been out, etc.
Team A stomps team B Team B stomps team C. A plays C. My money is on A. :nod:

SoCon48
July 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I couldn't agree more. The comparisons are only so useful as so many things influence the outcome of a football game. Just thought it was interesting food for thought.

But notice how in the box scores of each game, turnovers kept EKU from making the App game more interesting (and it was already very interesting) but also kept NCSU from really blowing out the Colonels. Change those 5 or so plays and both of those games could have been radically different (Though I'd hate to imagine a score worse than 54-10).

Yep. Take away our defense/offense's capititalizing on opponent's mistakes in '05 and you can take away our trophy, too.

BigApp
July 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Hey Jonesie, If Appalachian is such an easy "W" as you're implying, why dont YOU GUYS schedule us?

Maybe your people could pull a few more extortion plays in Raleigh and get a game with us??

AppGuy04
July 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Jonesie, If Appalachian is such an easy "W" as you're implying, why dont YOU GUYS schedule us?

Maybe your people could pull a few more extortion plays in Raleigh and get a game with us??

He won't be answering this, seeing as he is banned now

BigApp
July 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
that's too bad, he was an easy mark!

Block-A
July 24th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Some of you people are nuts, but that's expected in college football....

To start using stats from the '70's to try to get a true handle on "modern" college football is... archaic.

That said:

Flying/sex/win the lottery dream scenario: App whoops State by 14, including 4th qtr State TD.
Dream scenario: App leads whole game and wins by seven.
Lifetime landmark scenario (as in, "Remeber that year when...?"): App scores late in regulation or OT to silence the home crowd and beat the Pack by one or two.
"Good" scenario: App loses late after being competetive entire game, proceeds to at least NC game to finish the season.
Likely Scenario: App is overmatched and loses by ten to fourteen points. Call it a building game.
Nightmare scenario: App is overmatched, unprepared, and steamrolled from the start; loses by more than three touchdowns while looking horribly inept.

There. You have my prediction, and I am rarely wrong. ;-)

D1B
July 24th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Jerry Moore has won about a third of his I-A games at ASU. The Mountaineers have several things in their favor, which makes this game similar to some of the other Mountaineer wins over I-As. First and foremost, NC State is losing a truckload of talent. So you have a young and inexperienced squad with the strong potential of overlooking a team that is very talented, because ASU is a I-AA school. If NC State doesn't come prepared, they will come away with a loss. Another thing in App's favor is the fact that the Mountaineers return most of the key players on their defense, which is extremely athletic. The Mountaineers also have more depth than most I-AA teams, so they should be able to hang with NC State, despite the scholarship differential. In early season games, offenses are usually the units that struggle most. The keys for ASU are to avoid turnovers, something Elder is working hard on and to avoid allowing NC State to score a bunch of points early. If App can get an early lead, the pressure will build on NC State. I think this is one of the best chances for a I-AA team to beat a I-A.

I was gonna say pretty much this, but Mr. C beat me to it.xcoffeex

GGASU
July 24th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Ok I am selling 4 tickets out of my 16 to ASU hell raising members of AGS.
We will be drinking beer from noon till game time, so light weights need not apply. Selling for Face value of $30 per ticket.

Mr. C
July 25th, 2006, 05:17 AM
The comparison between App State, EKU and North Carolina State misses one huge point. NC State is no where close to the same team that it was last season. The Wolfpack lost a lot of talent, including the No. 1 pick in the entire NFL draft. App State, outside of losing two key players is very much the same team that won the national championship, with some young talent thrown in.

SoCon48
July 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Some of you people are nuts, but that's expected in college football....

To start using stats from the '70's to try to get a true handle on "modern" college football is... archaic.

That said:

Flying/sex/win the lottery dream scenario: App whoops State by 14, including 4th qtr State TD.
Dream scenario: App leads whole game and wins by seven.
Lifetime landmark scenario (as in, "Remeber that year when...?"): App scores late in regulation or OT to silence the home crowd and beat the Pack by one or two.
"Good" scenario: App loses late after being competetive entire game, proceeds to at least NC game to finish the season.
Likely Scenario: App is overmatched and loses by ten to fourteen points. Call it a building game.
Nightmare scenario: App is overmatched, unprepared, and steamrolled from the start; loses by more than three touchdowns while looking horribly inept.

There. You have my prediction, and I am rarely wrong. ;-)

Well, I'll be damned. Looks like Ol Jonesey resurrected himself in disguise...very quickly, I might add.

MYTAPPY
July 25th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Ok I am selling 4 tickets out of my 16 to ASU hell raising members of AGS.
We will be drinking beer from noon till game time, so light weights need not apply. Selling for Face value of $30 per ticket.

Already have my tickets and will be raising much hell in the ASU section. My entourage is also turning on the drinking light around noon that day.

MYTAPPY
July 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Well, I'll be damned. Looks like Ol Jonesey resurrected himself in disguise...very quickly, I might add.

xlolx xlolx

AppStateFootball
July 29th, 2006, 07:46 PM
but all the stuff i've been looking up about the nc state football team, & looking at our new boys coming to appalachain, i think it asu will pull this one out. i can't for the season to start at state. it's going to be a fun game. go asu!

GGASU
July 30th, 2006, 01:03 AM
If this game was in Boone, ASU should be favored. With the game being in Raleigh it will all depend on how straight up the officials are (I still remember when Marshall was still I-AA and got robbed....a offsides penalty AFTER NC State was stopped on a 4th and 3 with under a minute to go)

89Hen
July 30th, 2006, 02:31 PM
If this game was in Boone, ASU should be favored. With the game being in Raleigh it will all depend on how straight up the officials are
xcoffeex xlolx

ASU Kep
July 30th, 2006, 02:46 PM
IMO, our defense will be up to the challenge. Our secondary is extremely experienced (and probably one of the fastest in I-AA), our linebackers are looking awesome, and our D-Line will be fine with Bettis/Tharrington filling in for Jason Hunter.

I think it'll come down to how well we execute on offense. It seems like it usually takes us a game or two to get our offense up to speed. Basically, I'd predict if Elder has a decent game and avoids costly turnovers, Coach Amato might be looking for a new gig after this one.

ASU - 24
NC State - 17

*ASU Kep has one helluva night down in Raleigh. :)

appisgreatest
July 30th, 2006, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=StillJonesing]LSU shut you out and beat you by 3 TD's. I call that a slaughter/thrashing. Not sure what you guys call it.

Many said ASU would lose to LSU by 50 or so points. Losing by only 24 points to a 1-a power was quite an accomplishment for a 1-aa team.

SoCon48
July 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM
[quote=StillJonesing]LSU shut you out and beat you by 3 TD's. I call that a slaughter/thrashing. Not sure what you guys call it.

Hell if you use that definition for thrashing, ECU would be king of the thrashed.
LSU would have beaten the Pirates by 50.
Ol Jonesey and ECU should be authorities on thrashings. Geez, Just in the last two years...two 24 pt losses to Tulsa and South Florida. By Jonesey's definition 3 TD's is a slashing. Debateable I guess.
If that be the case, we'd have to come up with a differnt word to describe their 45-13, 56-23, 59-7, 51-10, 52-14 losses to such powerhouses as Tulsa and Southern Miss in just the last two seasons..
I think we'll do better than ECU's 52-14 "thrashing" to NC State.

Don'tcha just love it when an ECU'er lectures us on football? ROFLMAO

HiHiYikas
July 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I am a little surprised that there's a 19-page thread here dedicated to this game. I am outright SHOCKED that NC State's fans have done the same thing. I guess it's a good kind of shock, though.

We've had some "should-have-been's" against I-A's, some "not-gonna-happen's" and a few "not-bad's." The Auburn game was a "should-have-been; LSU is a hybrid between a "should-have-been" (closer than expected) and a "not-gonna-happen" (expected defeat, nonetheless). Unfortunately, games like Hawaii and Kansas have been "not-gonna-happen's." Wins at Wake, the closest ACC school to Boone, a team that isn't especially or consistently feared by conference-mates, is a "not-bad."

Not to discount those solid wins against Wake, but those victories weren't exactly shocking. Maybe some die-hard Deac homers had their worlds shaken to the core. Myself, I thought "yeah, that win makes sense,” both times.

I don't consider the NC State match up a "not-gonna-happen." The whirlwind off-the-plane, to-the-field, off-the-field, to-the-airport, back-to-Boone game against LSU taught us a thing or two, and we became a better team as a result. I would be surprised to see us the same "big stadium" mistakes we did down in Baton Rouge when we’re a few hours away in Raleigh.

The game is definitely not a "not-bad." Beating NC State would be fairly amazing. I'm not talking "52nd win over WCU" amazing. More like the games associated with what the ASU media guide calls "the Miracle on the Mountain" and "The Fumble." If we win, the game gets a name and probably a whole page in the 2007 Media Guide (though not necessarily in all future guides).

I think the most likely scenario is similar to LSU last season, only with a closer score. We play tough, scare them a little, lose by far less than many expected. Only this is NC State and not LSU, so turn that 24-point shutout loss into a 10 to 14-point loss to the tune of 24-10 or 24-14.

One final thought: If App wins, we get the rights to the name “State” in North Carolina. All NC State merchandise that says only “STATE” will be recognized as mis-colored App State merchandise. The production of new red and white “STATE” gear will cease and only black and gold “STATE” gear will be produced. Whenever someone says “I went to State,” the proper follow-up question will be “Oh, so how’d you like all that snow up in Boone?”

AppMan
July 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM

I emailed Packer earlier in July and proposed they show up for the JMU game. he said they wouldn't be up that week, but definately will be in Boone for a game this season.

ASU Kep
July 31st, 2006, 01:25 AM
I am a little surprised that there's a 19-page thread here dedicated to this game. I am outright SHOCKED that NC State's fans have done the same thing. I guess it's a good kind of shock, though.

We've had some "should-have-been's" against I-A's, some "not-gonna-happen's" and a few "not-bad's." The Auburn game was a "should-have-been; LSU is a hybrid between a "should-have-been" (closer than expected) and a "not-gonna-happen" (expected defeat, nonetheless). Unfortunately, games like Hawaii and Kansas have been "not-gonna-happen's." Wins at Wake, the closest ACC school to Boone, a team that isn't especially or consistently feared by conference-mates, is a "not-bad."

Not to discount those solid wins against Wake, but those victories weren't exactly shocking. Maybe some die-hard Deac homers had their worlds shaken to the core. Myself, I thought "yeah, that win makes sense,” both times.

I don't consider the NC State match up a "not-gonna-happen." The whirlwind off-the-plane, to-the-field, off-the-field, to-the-airport, back-to-Boone game against LSU taught us a thing or two, and we became a better team as a result. I would be surprised to see us the same "big stadium" mistakes we did down in Baton Rouge when we’re a few hours away in Raleigh.

The game is definitely not a "not-bad." Beating NC State would be fairly amazing. I'm not talking "52nd win over WCU" amazing. More like the games associated with what the ASU media guide calls "the Miracle on the Mountain" and "The Fumble." If we win, the game gets a name and probably a whole page in the 2007 Media Guide (though not necessarily in all future guides).

I think the most likely scenario is similar to LSU last season, only with a closer score. We play tough, scare them a little, lose by far less than many expected. Only this is NC State and not LSU, so turn that 24-point shutout loss into a 10 to 14-point loss to the tune of 24-10 or 24-14.

One final thought: If App wins, we get the rights to the name “State” in North Carolina. All NC State merchandise that says only “STATE” will be recognized as mis-colored App State merchandise. The production of new red and white “STATE” gear will cease and only black and gold “STATE” gear will be produced. Whenever someone says “I went to State,” the proper follow-up question will be “Oh, so how’d you like all that snow up in Boone?”

Great post. Although I wouldn't put a victory over State anywhere near my experience in Chatty last December, it'd still be one I'd never forget. IMHO, the two best squads in this state will go head-to-head on Sep. 2nd (and I SHOULD be there:hurray: ). No doubt about it, an App victory would rattle the entire state.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 08:30 AM
xcoffeex xlolx

The guy has a point. App has been robbed at least a couple of times by homer ACC refs. They know who is supposed to win and try their best to make sure it happens. Some times their efforts are in vain and the Apps win in spite of the calls.
Just glad ASU has the balls to face the better programs.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM
I emailed Packer earlier in July and proposed they show up for the JMU game. he said they wouldn't be up that week, but definately will be in Boone for a game this season.
The Furman game will suffice.

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hell if you use that definition for thrashing, ECU would be king of the thrashed.
LSU would have beaten the Pirates by 50.

We lost to top 5, Sugar Bowl Champs West Virginia by 5 in Morgantown, who were ranked higher and actually beat the mutual team they and LSU played (Georgia) unlike LSU. No way we lose by 50 or get shut out.

Ol Jonesey and ECU should be authorities on thrashings. Geez, Just in the last two years...two 24 pt losses to Tulsa and South Florida. By Jonesey's definition 3 TD's is a slashing.

The difference is I don't wave those 3 touchdown loss's around as a great accomplishment, and BTW those were D1a teams, kind of like Kansas, Hawaii, Marshall, Wyoming, it's a different level. I could pull those scores as well.

powerhouses as Tulsa and Southern Miss in just the last two seasons..

Tulsa was #26 in the nation and just outside on the polls (BTW we actually led that game in the 3rd quarter before the wheels came off).

Southern Miss is a power. They haven't had a losing season in 13 years, and have finished ranked several times and as high as #13.

I think we'll do better than ECU's 52-14 "thrashing" to NC State. Sure that was a bad game in a bad season, yes,(we all have them, remember App vs GSU in 2004, not like we were losing to D1aa's like that, heck a 2 win pirate team beat the D1aa champ GSU one year???) but see we have actually beat NCSU before, 9 times giving me plenty of reason to think it can happen, becaue it actually has even 2 win ECU teams have beat NCSU.

You guys would probably take that 52-14 as some moral victory like you did with LSU.

Don'tcha just love it when an ECU'er lectures us on football? ROFLMAO

Bottom line is this game with NCSU will probably turn out like App's other games on the big stage recently against Marshall, Hawaii, Wyoming, Kansas, and LSU. A big victory for the opposing team. That's why I said slim to none.

WUTNDITWAA
July 31st, 2006, 08:48 AM
Live from his momma's basement after his extended trip to the C-store for some doritos, brownies and grape soda. Stilljonesing is back.

xcoffeex

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM
We lost to top 5, Sugar Bowl Champs West Virginia by 5 in Morgantown, who were ranked higher and actually beat the mutual team they and LSU played (Georgia).

The difference is I don't wave those 3 touchdown loss's around as a great accomplishment, and BTW those were D1a teams, kind of like Kansas, Hawaii, Marshall, Wyoming, it's a different level. I could pull those scores as well.

Tulsa was #26 in the nation and just outside on the polls (BTW we actually led that game in the 3rd quarter before the wheels came off).

Southern Miss is a power. They haven't had a losing season in 13 years, and have finished ranked several times and as high as #13.

Sure that was a bad game in a bad season, yes, but see we have actually beat NCSU before, 9 times giving me plenty of reason to think it can happen, becaue it actually has even 2 win ECU teams have beat NCSU.

You guys would probably take that 52-14 as some moral victory like you did with LSU.

Bottom line is this game with NCSU will probably turn out like App's other games on the big stage recently against Marshall, Hawaii, Wyoming, Kansas, and LSU. A big victory for the opposing team.

on the big stage :D :D

Sounds like ECU should strongly consider getting off the big stage. Clearly it isn't working for the Pirates.
Now about a better word for thrashing if 3 TD's is a thrashing, what the H were those 45-13, 56-23, 59-7, 51-10, 52-14 losses to the Tulsa's and Florida Southerns?xlolx xlolx
Now wanna bet App fares better vs NC State than ECU did last outing (14-52 year before last)? Being it's the big stage and how we don't belong it and all that stuff.:rolleyes:
Guess we can hold that 52-14 loss up as a standard to seek when venturing on to the big stage.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 09:11 AM
Live from his momma's basement after his extended trip to the C-store for some doritos, brownies and grape soda. Stilljonesing is back.

xcoffeex

You left off the ECU kool-aid he's been drinking.xcoffeex

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 09:11 AM
Who let this guy back?

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Who let this guy back?

I'm just responding. Is there something wrong with that?

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 09:54 AM
Who let this guy back?
No problem. A laugh a minute.
The grandiose views of ECU's football prowess are entertaining. Besides, I still want to know what a 59-7 loss is called if a 24-0 margin to a top 10 team is a "thrashing." I'll just read more ECU headlines this Fall to see what the editors call them.

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 10:14 AM
No problem. A laugh a minute.
The grandiose views of ECU's football prowess are entertaining. Besides, I still want to know what a 59-7 loss is called if a 24-0 margin to a top 10 team is a "thrashing." I'll just read more ECU headlines this Fall to see what the editors call them.

2004 GSU....7-54

That score is about as relevant as the 2004 NCSU team we lost too, oh except that team had about 10 NFL draft picks on it. Big Difference perhaps you should worry about beating D1aa's. Last time I check even our 2 win teams beat national champ GSU teams.

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 10:17 AM
2004 GSU....7-54

That score is about as relevant as the 2004 NCSU team we lost too, oh except that team had about 10 NFL draft picks on it. Big Difference perhaps you should worry about beating D1aa's. Last time I check even our 2 win teams beat national champ GSU teams.

what do you know, a I-A team actually sending guys to the NFL, what does ECU know about that? Oh man, we had David Girrard, what is he now, like 40 years old?

89Hen
July 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM
The guy has a point. App has been robbed at least a couple of times by homer ACC refs. They know who is supposed to win and try their best to make sure it happens. Some times their efforts are in vain and the Apps win in spite of the calls.
I'm laughing at the notion that ASU would be favored.

Mr. C
July 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM
We lost to top 5, Sugar Bowl Champs West Virginia by 5 in Morgantown, who were ranked higher and actually beat the mutual team they and LSU played (Georgia) unlike LSU. No way we lose by 50 or get shut out.

Sure that was a bad game in a bad season, yes,(we all have them, remember App vs GSU in 2004, not like we were losing to D1aa's like that, heck a 2 win pirate team beat the D1aa champ GSU one year???) but see we have actually beat NCSU before, 9 times giving me plenty of reason to think it can happen, becaue it actually has even 2 win ECU teams have beat NCSU.

Bottom line is this game with NCSU will probably turn out like App's other games on the big stage recently against Marshall, Hawaii, Wyoming, Kansas, and LSU. A big victory for the opposing team. That's why I said slim to none.
Still crazy after all these years.

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM
what do you know, a I-A team actually sending guys to the NFL, what does ECU know about that? Oh man, we had David Girrard, what is he now, like 40 years old?

Garrard is 28 years old not 40, He played well last year and started about 5 or 6 games.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302027

We have sent 8 players to the NFL in the last 3 years even in our dark times...

T. Copper (Cowboys)
V. Leach (Packers)
D. Ducket (Giants)
B. Rimph (Ravens)
G. Whimper (Giants)
C. Moore (Saints)
Z. Baker (Steelers)
I. Emodi (Packers)

All but Emodi are still on rosters and he is still in camps.....

Look it up, it's not like we haven't had talent, we just had an incompetent head coach for 2 years.

SO how many nfl guys do you have???

Mr. C
July 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Funny that an East Carolina guys keeps arguing about how much better the Pirates are than Appalachian State. If ECU was willing to put their money where their mouths are, maybe they would invite ASU to play them. But the Pirates don't have the guts to do that. They would rather play I-AA schools like Western Carolina and the now-defunct East Tennessee State. ECU is a program that has been is serious decline since they made the mistake of firing Steve Logan and they would not want any part of ASU, or any other top-flight I-AA right now.

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Garrard is 27 or 28 years old not 40, He played well last year.

We have sent 8 players to the NFL in the last 3 years even in our dark times...

T. Copper (Cowboys)
V. Leach (Packers)
D. Ducket (Giants)
B. Rimph (Ravens)
G. Whimper (Giants)
C. Moore (Saints)
Z. Baker (Steelers)
I. Emodi (Packers)

All but Emodi are still on rosters and he is still in camps.....

Look it up, it's not like we haven't had talent, we just had an incompetent head coach for 2 years.

NC State had 3 first rounders off a .500 team, coaching has nothing to do with it, ECU does not recruit talent anymore, thats all there is to it. And of those guys listed, I don't think I've seen but maybe 2 actually play

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Funny that an East Carolina guys keeps arguing about how much better the Pirates are than Appalachian State. If ECU was willing to put their money where their mouths are, maybe they would invite ASU to play them. But the Pirates don't have the guts to do that. They would rather play I-AA schools like Western Carolina and the now-defunct East Tennessee State. ECU is a program that has been is serious decline since they made the mistake of firing Steve Logan and they would not want any part of ASU, or any other top-flight I-AA right now.

Guts?

Again

OOC Schedules

Miami
West Virginia
NC State
Duke
@South Carolina

Virginia Tech
Syracuse
@Duke
@West Virginia

Wake Forest
William & Mary (D1aa)
@ Syracuse
@North Carolina

@Duke
@Wake Forest
@West Virginia

West Virginia
North Carolina
@Miami
@ Wake Forest

Wake Forest
NC State (Charlotte)
@West Virginia

Duke
@Wake Forest
@ West Virginia

VIRGINIA
WEST VIRGINIA
@ Navy
@ N.C. State

NORTH CAROLINA
N.C. STATE
@West Virginia

WEST VIRGINIA
@Virginia
@Virginia Tech
TBA

VIRGINIA TECH
@N.C. State
@North Carolina
@West Virginia

NAVY
N.C. STATE
@North Carolina
@Virginia Tech

VIRGINIA TECH
NORTH CAROLINA
@Navy
TBA

NAVY
@Virginia Tech
TBA
TBA

VIRGINIA TECH
@N.C State
TBA
TBA

@VIRGINIA TECH

VIRGINIA TECH

Not any room for D1-aa's. We have played one this decade, and only 2 in the last 10 years. Move up an I have no problem playing you. Until then I like our 9 game deal with Virginia Tech, over 9 straight years, 4 in Greenville, 4 in Blacksburg, 1 in Charlotte.

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 11:02 AM
NC State had 3 first rounders off a .500 team, coaching has nothing to do with it, ECU does not recruit talent anymore, thats all there is to it. And of those guys listed, I don't think I've seen but maybe 2 actually play

They are under 25 years old, what do you expect?!?! them to start?? Give them a couple of years, several are already contributing, the others have just got in the league this season.

To your other point....so we don't recruit talent?? This after I just showed you 8 guys in the last 3 years that are in the NFL. 8. That's some real no talent. It was all about coaching, why do you think we fired John Thompson after less than 2 years. The man punted in the redzone for god sakes, and screwed up coin tosses.

I noticed you dogged my question. How many have you guys put in the NFL over that period?? If we are supposed to believe you will compete with NCSU, heck they still have tons of NFL talent on there team. Seems like a relevant question for App fans.

As far as us not recruiting talent anymore....

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=31395

or this no talent

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/2004topqbs.html

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Conference_USA/2006_Pages/Recruiting.htm

This isn't about us, man all I said was App's chances were slim to none. We'll see. Like I said before I seriously hope you guys do win, but I don't see it happening. Sorry you can't take my opinion, that is the same as most people on this thread.

Mr. C
July 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM
First off, I am not an ASU guy. I just know the program. Funny how you only started with 1999 to prove you don't schedule I-AAs. And when someone says put up, or shut up, here come the excuses as to why you can't play a quality I-AA like ASU. The only time you have played a decent I-AA in recent years was William & Mary in 2001. You imply your tough schedule and then proceed to mention games against teams like Wake Forest, Duke and Navy? Those are three schools who have struggled against I-AA teams. Duke wouldn't dare schedule someone the likes of Furman, or ASU, because they would have little chance of winning. Wake Forest ducked out of its series with ASU after it lost three of the last five games it played against them. Put your money where your mouth is and either schedule some of these teams you are trashing, or go back home to lovely Greenville, N.C. and bother the I-AA community no more.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
2004 GSU....7-54

Last time I check even our 2 win teams beat national champ GSU teams.

Bull****. You tried that line once before. Your "checking" leaves much to be desired.The '84 GSU team was certainly no National Champion. In fact they had just re-started football from scratch and were facing teams like Newberry, Presby, Liberty, Bethune Cookman,, etc. You won by a TD in Greenville.You were in exclusive company on that schedule.xlolx

The '87 game, You guys went to a bowl game (you were 6-5)..not 2-9. Geez. A bowl team playing a little ol I-AA team. Big Stage!xlolx xlolx To top it off, you only beat GSU by 3 while App sent them home in the 2nd round by 19-0.Again, GSU was no national champion.

The '86 game. yes, GSU won a I-AA national championship and you guys managed to beat them by 2 points in Greeneville (where you played all 3 GSU games). Whoop de damn do. Real teams from the "Big Stage" like Florida beat GSU 38-14.

ECU-Whoop de damn do. Big Stage.xlolx Even the Big Stage needs stage hands and stand ins.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Guts?

Again

OOC Schedules

Miami
West Virginia
NC State
Duke
@South Carolina

Virginia Tech
Syracuse
@Duke
@West Virginia

Wake Forest
William & Mary (D1aa)
@ Syracuse
@North Carolina

@Duke
@Wake Forest
@West Virginia

West Virginia
North Carolina
@Miami
@ Wake Forest

Wake Forest
NC State (Charlotte)
@West Virginia

Duke
@Wake Forest
@ West Virginia

VIRGINIA
WEST VIRGINIA
@ Navy
@ N.C. State

NORTH CAROLINA
N.C. STATE
@West Virginia

WEST VIRGINIA
@Virginia
@Virginia Tech
TBA

VIRGINIA TECH
@N.C. State
@North Carolina
@West Virginia

NAVY
N.C. STATE
@North Carolina
@Virginia Tech

VIRGINIA TECH
NORTH CAROLINA
@Navy
TBA

NAVY
@Virginia Tech
TBA
TBA

VIRGINIA TECH
@N.C State
TBA
TBA

@VIRGINIA TECH

VIRGINIA TECH

Not any room for D1-aa's. We have played one this decade, and only 2 in the last 10 years. Move up an I have no problem playing you. Greenville, 4
Not any room for D1-aa's. We have played one this decade, and only 2 in the last 10 years. Move up an I have no problem playing you. Until then I like our 9 game deal with Virginia Tech, over 9 straight years, 4 in Greenville, 4 in Blacksburg, 1 in Charlotte.That's funny. You have no room for I-AA's like us. Yet, LSU, NCSU, Kansas, Virginia Tech, etc do.
What you mean is ya can't risk a loss.:rolleyes:
I'm just so impressed you're playing V Tech, I could just s---. They've been on our schedule before and are again in two years. Next year we play LSU again.
And Navy. Hell I-AA Delaware plays them all the time. And Duke. LOL. That was historic. You broke their 2 year losing streak. :D
And Wake. Impressive up there on the Big Stage. I believe we faced them 22 times.
Please use another excuse besides the I-AA stuff. It doesn't fly with the LSU's, NCSU's, V Techs, etc.

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 11:25 AM
They are under 25 years old, what do you expect?!?! them to start?? Give them a couple of years, several are already contributing, the others have just got in the league this season.

To your other point....so we don't recruit talent?? This after I just showed you 8 guys in the last 3 years that are in the NFL. 8. That's some real no talent. It was all about coaching, why do you think we fired John Thompson after less than 2 years. The man punted in the redzone for god sakes, and screwed up coin tosses.

I noticed you dogged my question. How many have you guys put in the NFL over that period?? If we are supposed to believe you will compete with NCSU, heck they still have tons of NFL talent on there team. Seems like a relevant question for App fans.

As far as us not recruiting talent anymore....

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=31395

or this no talent

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/2004topqbs.html

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Conference_USA/2006_Pages/Recruiting.htm

This isn't about us, man all I said was App's chances were slim to none. We'll see. Like I said before I seriously hope you guys do win, but I don't see it happening. Sorry you can't take my opinion, that is the same as most people on this thread.

I'm not talking about App DA. If would look around before you open your trap, you would know that I am an NC State grad. There is no argument in the world that you could say ECU has more talent than NC State

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 11:30 AM

Of course we've never been picked to beat the I-A's that we did nor to play within 50 pts of LSU in the Bayou.
Hell, we weren't even ranked in I-AA pre-season last year and yet won the NC.
Who gives a big crap about opinions and picks. They play the game on the field.
Love to see Delaware play the wuffpack in Raleigh.xcoffeex

89Hen
July 31st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Of course we've never been picked to beat the I-A's that we did nor to play within 50 pts of LSU in the Bayou.
Hell, we weren't even ranked in I-AA pre-season last year and yet won the NC.
Who gives a big crap about opinions and picks. They play the game on the field.
Love to see Delaware play the wuffpack in Raleigh.xcoffeex
:confused: Why the hate? I'll be rooting for the Mountaineers in Raleigh, but I'll laugh anytime I hear somebody say if the game were in Boone, you'd be favored. :nod:

You'll have your chance to see what Hen fans say when we go to Maryland in 2008. I doubt you'll hear many Hen fans predicting a win or saying if the game were in Newark we should be favored.

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
=I-AA 2006
I'm just so impressed you're playing V Tech, I could just s---. They've been on our schedule before and are again in two years. Next year we play LSU again.

So I guess they are giving you home and homes?

And Navy. Hell I-AA Delaware plays them all the time. And Duke. LOL. That was historic. You broke their 2 year losing streak. :D
And Wake. Impressive up there on the Big Stage. I believe we faced them 22 times.

Guess you missed all those filler games with Miami, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, NCSU, UNC, UVA, S. Carolina, and Syracuse, where they came to Greenville.

StillJonesing
July 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM
What is a reputation point BTW??

July 31st, 2006, 11:51 AM
... Hell, we weren't even ranked in I-AA pre-season last year and yet won the NC...ASU was ranked preseason last year.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM
ASU was ranked preseason last year.
Depends on which poll and what one calls "ranked." After 25th, alphabetical order just dosn't get it, nor does "also receiving votes" For all intents and purposes, ASU was unranked.

According to the ASU media guide, the TSN poll has App unranked prior to the first game facing EKU. Ranked 25th afterward. Unranked again after Kansas and "propelled" all the way up to 22nd after the Coastal win.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 12:09 PM

Guess you missed all those filler games with Miami, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, NCSU, UNC, UVA, S. Carolina, and Syracuse, where they came to Greenville.

I'm so impressed, I could just s---.
Equally impressed with all those 2-9's :eyebrow:

and:
This isn't about us, man all I said was App's chances were slim to none
Coulda fooled me!

89Hen
July 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Depends on which poll and what one calls "ranked." After 25th, alphabetical order just dosn't get it, nor does "also receiving votes"
2005 Preseason AGS Poll (5/23/2005)
23. Appalachian State

NC Aggie
July 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
I think ASU has a real change against NC State. Jay Stone thows the football like one, so if ASU stops the run, they are in good shape.

Amato is a promoter but not much of a coach. A well-disciplined team wil have the advantage.

ASU Kep
July 31st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Just watched some video on Youtube of one of the State RBs absolutely annihilating an Eastern Kentucky FS last year. Hopefully the (mild):D discomfort we experience stopping Furmie's "J-Train :rolleyes: " will prepare us well. As I said, I think our defense will step up, and if we don't let 'em run on us, we win.

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Just watched some video on Youtube of one of the State RBs absolutely annihilating an Eastern Kentucky FS last year. Hopefully the (mild):D discomfort we experience stopping Furmie's "J-Train :rolleyes: " will prepare us well. As I said, I think our defense will step up, and if we don't let 'em run on us, we win.

and that was when State was a passing team. The last 6 games of the year, they decided to use their talents and become a much more rush oriented offense. If they had done that from the start, they would have been closer to 8-4, 9-3. Either way, they are not much of a passing team, and Stone hasn't shown thus far that he can throw the ball effectively, so the key will be stopping the run.

ASU Kep
July 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
and btw, I havn't quite read all 23 pages of this topic but if it hasn't already been said, the State message boards are pretty damn funny. I know we're all homers to some extent, but their thread on our game is pretty funny. It's about 50/50 between State fans who think the game just might be a close one, and those idiots that for some reason consider their program amongst the cream of the ACC and I-A crop and believe they'll beat us by "at least 50." Apparently, they're more than twice the team that LSU was last year, and of course they didn't just lose the few players on their team that were worth a damn to begin with. :rolleyes:

...and anybody who would ever argue that Stone > Elder is a truly, truly an idiot.

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 01:06 PM
and btw, I havn't quite read all 23 pages of this topic but if it hasn't already been said, the State message boards are pretty damn funny. I know we're all homers to some extent, but their thread on our game is pretty funny. It's about 50/50 between State fans who think the game just might be a close one, and those idiots that for some reason consider their program amongst the cream of the ACC and I-A crop and believe they'll beat us by "at least 50." Apparently, they're more than twice the team that LSU was last year, and of course they didn't just lose the few players on their team that were worth a damn to begin with. :rolleyes:

...and anybody who would ever argue that Stone > Elder is a truly, truly an idiot.
I agree, I am a member of TWW, which is state's student site. I don't even bother trying to explain to them that they could possibly get beat. As for State fans, there are always the lunatic fringe, just like App, that think it will be a 50 point blowout. As for the QB's, I have seen both play numerous times, and I would say they are about equal, the offenses are quite different though.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM
2005 Preseason AGS Poll (5/23/2005)
23. Appalachian State
Don't believe in the past 20 years, ASU has used the AGS poll in its media guides.:cool:
Still you'd think a poll of I-AA fans would get closer than 23 spots off.
Of course it had ASU lower than Coastal after App annhilated them..:rolleyes:

AppGuy04
July 31st, 2006, 01:54 PM
Don't believe in the past 20 years, ASU has used the AGS poll in its media guides.:cool:

Thats why its called "pre" season bro, its a guess

89Hen
July 31st, 2006, 02:32 PM
xcoffeex : smh : xidiotx

KiddBrewer
July 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
never thought this topic would get so much attention....

89Hen
July 31st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Wow, just noticed you said after. I thought you were referring to pre-season. You really need to check your facts.

9/17/2006 Appalachian State 30 - Coastal Carolina 3

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25 (9/19/2005)
15. Appalachian State
Dropped out: Georgia Southern, McNeese State, Lafayette, Coastal Carolina
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 04:37 PM
xcoffeex : smh : xidiotx
Whatever the Hell you mean by that.

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 04:55 PM
Wow, just noticed you said after. I thought you were referring to pre-season. You really need to check your facts.
9/17/2006 Appalachian State 30 - Coastal Carolina 3

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25 (9/19/2005)
15. Appalachian State
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex
Actually, I was talking about pre-season (but the major polls) but later mentioned I thought App was lower than Coastal even after the win. That's what got your panties in a wad. Actually, it was some other polls that App remained lower than Coastal weeks after defeating Coastal. App was 16th and Coastal 14th in the TSN poll weeks after the Coastal game (after moving from unranked) .Yeah, it was the Coastal win that propelled ASU up from the depths. Just forgot how far. So f'n sue me.
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
Week 3, 9/19/2005

Team, First place votes, Change from last week
1. Western Kentucky (25) NC
2. Eastern Washington (14) NC
3. New Hampshire (11) +4
4. Delaware (5) NC
5. Montana (2) +1
6. Southern Illinois (3) -3
7. North Dakota State (1) +3
8. Northern Iowa (1) -3
9. James Madison -1
10. Furman +1
11. Cal Poly +8
12. Lehigh +3
13. Harvard (1) +3
14. Hampton +4
15. Appalachian State NR16. South Carolina State +7
17. Hofstra +7
18. William & Mary -9
19. Northwestern State -6
20. Montana State -8
21. Western Carolina NR
22. Youngstown State NR
23. Massachusetts NR
24. Texas State +1
25. Sam Houston State -8

89Hen
July 31st, 2006, 05:16 PM
Actually, it was some other polls that App remained lower than Coastal the week after defeating Coastal.
There are other polls? :confused: :p

goasu984Life
July 31st, 2006, 05:17 PM
What are these "other polls" that you speak of?

SoCon48
July 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM
What are these "other polls" that you speak of?
Thinking mainly of the TSN (Sports Network) and ESPN which ASU has been using in their media guide for over a decade to show the rankings of ASU and their opponent when they faced each other. e.g. ASU was 18th and NC A&T was 25th in the pre-season polls when they faced each other in the first game of the 1993 season.

Black Saturday
August 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
I have to question how Ralph must really feel about 1-AA, if one of its the top teams doesn't have a chance against a team that has been picked only above Weak Forest in its division of the ACC. Or does he just not like ASU and want to see them fail?

GGASU
August 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM

Sagarin is the closest thing we have to a spread among I-AA and I-A. App should be in the high 60's to low 70's to start the season, with NCSU in the upper 50's. A game in Boone would pull the spread to either ASU favored or a very close pick em.

ASU's defense is going to be nasty this year, and NC State has the offense of a girls touch football team....I am expecting a win,:thumbsup: and will be shocked if we get beat by more than a touchdown.

StillJonesing
August 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM
xlolx

I am about as big of a homer for my schools as there is, and we play them as this year as well, but I would never make statements like that.

Andre Brown doesn't exactly play girls touch football. I also have a healthy respect for "Weak" Forrest. They aren't exactly weak under Jim Grobe or like 1-10/ 2-9 teams you guys beat by FG's, nor is NCSU.

August 1st, 2006, 01:01 PM
I have to question how Ralph must really feel about 1-AA, if one of its the top teams doesn't have a chance against a team that has been picked only above Weak Forest in its division of the ACC. Or does he just not like ASU and want to see them fail?:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
5-0 NCSTATE vs. ASU
The odds are against the I-AA Champs....:nono: :nono:

August 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Sagarin is the closest thing we have to a spread among I-AA and I-A...No Sag is not. Check Massey.

August 1st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Don't believe in the past 20 years, ASU has used the AGS poll in its media guides...That means nothing. The two main polls of I-AA are sportsnetwork.com and AGS.

89Hen
August 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Sagarin is the closest thing we have to a spread among I-AA and I-A. App should be in the high 60's to low 70's to start the season, with NCSU in the upper 50's. A game in Boone would pull the spread to either ASU favored or a very close pick em.

ASU's defense is going to be nasty this year, and NC State has the offense of a girls touch football team....I am expecting a win,:thumbsup: and will be shocked if we get beat by more than a touchdown.
AppSt after the National Championship was #69 (NCSt was 33). I don't think any I-AA is usually that high to start a season.

SoCon48
August 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
xlolx

I am about as big of a homer for my schools as there is, and we play them as this year as well, but I would never make statements like that.

Andre Brown doesn't exactly play girls touch football. I also have a healthy respect for "Weak" Forrest. They aren't exactly weak under Jim Grobe or like 1-10/ 2-9 teams you guys beat by FG's, nor is NCSU.

ROFLMAO
"or like 1-10/ 2-9 teams you guys beat by FG's"
Dude, we beat them under Al Groh, Chuck Mills, Bill Dooley, and Jim Caldwell.
Since ECU has now lost 5 straight to Weak Forest, you should have a healthy respect for them even though they were 4-7 two straight years.
I'd say a win over a 2-9 team is better than a beating by a 4-7 team. But that's just me.
Plus App has beaten Wake by more than FG's and when they had much better than 1-10 records.

ASU has seven wins and a tie vs Wake, while mighty ECU on the Big Stage has what--two wins vs them?:eek: WF is .750 vs ECU. and .659 vs App.
Big Stage!!xcoffeex
Must be lonely as one of the suckiest teams in I-A.

SoCon48
August 1st, 2006, 02:48 PM
That means nothing. The two main polls of I-AA are sportsnetwork.com and AGS.

The AGS is fun, but never heard it mentioned as one of the major polls. In fact sometimes have to look hard to find it.
I imagine, since App has used the sportsnetwork ranking for decades, they'll just stick with it.xcoffeex

SoCon48
August 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
I have to question how Ralph must really feel about 1-AA, if one of its the top teams doesn't have a chance against a team that has been picked only above Weak Forest in its division of the ACC. Or does he just not like ASU and want to see them fail?

Looks like it sometimes. That's what I was thinking after reading the posts last year the week before ASU faced LSU.

Black Saturday
August 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM
I really feel APP has a chance, because State's gonna be down this year.
I really feel APP has a chance, because APP's up this year.
I feel the game will be tough because it is in Raleigh, but winnable
I feel some will be surprised by the game. A top 1-AA is better'n the bottom of the ACC. IMHO.
Don't let this thread evaporate, so we can have some fun after Sept. 2.

StillJonesing
August 1st, 2006, 04:07 PM
ROFLMAO
"or like 1-10/ 2-9 teams you guys beat by FG's"
Dude, we beat them under Al Groh, Chuck Mills, Bill Dooley, and Jim Caldwell.
Since ECU has now lost 5 straight to Weak Forest, you should have a healthy respect for them even though they were 4-7 two straight years.
I'd say a win over a 2-9 team is better than a beating by a 4-7 team. But that's just me.
Plus App has beaten Wake by more than FG's and when they had much better than 1-10 records.

ASU has seven wins and a tie vs Wake, while mighty ECU on the Big Stage has what--two wins vs them?:eek: WF is .750 vs ECU. and .659 vs App.
Big Stage!!xcoffeex
Must be lonely as one of the suckiest teams in I-A.

What ever, the ACC is a different animal now than it was 5-10 years ago, and Wake is a much better program despite what the record reflects. That 4-7 ranked them #48 in one of the computer polls I noticed because they play strong teams, and Grobe is a damn good coach and Wake gets no respect, they would roll you guys these days and you know it, and luckly for them they have gotten us in our down times and not when we had it really rolling.

Regardless of what you say about us being a sucky D1a, we are a D1a :) remember I can watch my team play West Virginia and Virginia at HOME this season. UNC and NCSU at HOME next season and Virginia Tech 4 times in the next 8 years at home with 50k of my friends and that we have actually beat all those teams before. Enjoy your barn burner with Mars Hill. Man now that must suck.:thumbsup:

August 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
The AGS is fun, but never heard it mentioned as one of the major polls. In fact sometimes have to look hard to find it...You haven't been looking too hard then (notice the bottom of every page here). Also the AGS Poll has been mentioned numerous times in media guides, TV, radio, print and websites all over the nation. Then again you probably haven't been to I-AA.org much either huh?

ASU Kep
August 1st, 2006, 08:02 PM
Got to the tix office today before they opened and scooped up 3 tix for the game. I was pretty glad I managed to get up early after last night's festivities (the tix sold out in 56 minutes). Anybody else here going? We're in sec. 25 row 0 seats 27-29.

TheRock21
August 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah, they sold out so fast because State only alloted 3,000 for ASU fans...bastards! :D

ASU Kep
August 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
I thought we got 5k? Where'd you see that?