PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State Question.Is it worth it??

heath
September 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
After going 1-10 last season and being one of the weaker FCS schools over the past years,is the payout worth the punishment? Oklahoma St(84-0) and now Florida St this week.(who beat Murray St 69-3)xconfusedxListening to "Mike and Mike" ream the AD for scheduling these games yesterday got me thinking.Is there a line that can be crossed when scheduling FBS games,or does it not matter because of the $$$$$$$ Yes,App St beat Michigan, and JMU got VT,but would you like to see your school smacked by 12 TDs? Should any FCS team outside the top 35 play a top 20 FBS school?Might like to see NDSU play USC xchinscratchx

Big Dawg
September 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hmmm...should the NCAA step in and mandate that? And how would they?

Laker
September 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
You have to let schools make their own decisions. Who can predict how games will go? Houston had a great team last year- now Texas State kills them. And there are many other examples.

As far as rankings- the Gophers were one catch away from winning at USC last year. The next week they lost at home to New Mexico State. You never know.

Smitty
September 4th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I always look at the injuries after the game. If you can get away with less than 3 injuries, I would say it was worth it. If you have more than 3, then it could put your season in jeopardy (well if you were competitive anyway) and may not be worth it.

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Why not? If Oklahoma State wanted to schedule Edward Waters College, it's up to the two schools.

Not too many HBCU's would (or could) turn down a check for $850K for these two losses.

Catbooster
September 4th, 2012, 02:57 PM
It's probably worth it if you are able to use that money to make your program more competetive - improving facilities, recruiting, etc. If you're not very competetive and that money just goes into some kind of general fund and disappears....maybe not so much.

813Jag
September 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Sometimes you just get taken to the woodshed, you can take a heavy beating against another FCS team. I wouldn't want to see my team get handled like that. 66-21 makes me upset.

heath
September 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Why not? If Oklahoma State wanted to schedule Edward Waters College, it's up to the two schools.

Not too many HBCU's would (or could) turn down a check for $850K for these two losses.

How about Georgetown?You may or may not need the $$,but would you praise your AD/coach for playing that game.Guess the kids don't matter, its the payoff. Guess you're saying there is no line to cross and I value your opinion.I'm not sure it does either team good.

TTUEagles
September 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
As far as my school goes...I'm very confident in saying that our recent rise to competitiveness in the OVC (insert joke here_____) would not have happened if we had not started playing the likes of Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia and, Oh God, Oregon this year. For a while, we played 2 FBS schools every year. TTU now is equal or better than all OVC schools in terms of facilities: field, locker rooms, indoor facility, etc. "Taking your lumps" is the side-effect, but I don't think there are that many more injuries in "play-up" games vs any other game. TTU plays a ton of reserves in those games to get experience as well, I'm sure others do, too.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Being a Savannah native and still living in the Savannah media market, I can say "Yes" - for Savannah State it's worth it.

Savannah State sucks, has sucked, and will suck. By playing OSU and FSU, the school gets close to $1 million. Savannah State could've been beaten 84-0 by Georgia Southern, Wofford, or The Citadel and traveled by bus. At least they're getting paid well to get slaughtered.

Savannah State is a leftover eyesore of Segregation. The school has no redeeming quality and has been at the center of such controversies as: Giving academic credit to GI Bill students who never attended class; being the dummy option for crosstown Armstrong Atlantic students who have difficulty with a core subject; over funding athletics, which is what forced them into Division I

813Jag
September 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hell they lost 59-3 for free, at least get paid for the beating.

RichH2
September 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM
The blame belongs to the AD not the NCAA. While it may help coach and AD fund the program and keep their jobs the damage to the players who only have a few years to play does not seem to matter. If the AD wants $$$ that much to sacrifice these kids, he should suit up and take the field. One suvh game I could take to improbe program and still leave 10 games for the kids. Isn't the program for them? 2 is purr greed. Ridiculous mo mattet how much $$$$.

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
How about Georgetown?You may or may not need the $$,but would you praise your AD/coach for playing that game.

Every coach has to make up his own decision and consult with his school as to the best course of action. Georgetown doesn't get I-A offers but took a game at Florida International (pre-Sun Belt) in 2002 and turned another one down at North Dakota State in 2009. I don't think Coach Kelly saw much gain in a late October game in Fargo and took a game with an NEC school instead.

Since 95% of these games don't result in an upset, a coach must decide if guarantee games provide teaching moments for the rest of the season, a chance to elevate the program's visbility, opportunites for recruiting, etc. Money is part of the equation but it can't be the only consideration.

darell1976
September 4th, 2012, 03:44 PM
When UND played their first FBS game in 2009 at Texas Tech I was thinking 66-0 we are going to get crushed. Here we are a DII transfer in its first year as a counter team going to Texas Tech a team who finished 11-2 and played in the Cotton Bowl. But UND lost 38-13 but only trailed 28-13 early in the 4th. It could have been worse but it was worth it. The value of the game is after the game is done. You could play a BCS team close or you could get demolished. As for SSU this is brutal back to back BCS teams (and good ones too). I hope they play their hearts out and try to make it a game...not a quarter.

Sammy94
September 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
http://newsok.com/what-led-oklahoma-state-to-scheduling-savannah-state/article/3704595

Interesting article about the subject.

DSUrocks07
September 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Being a Savannah native and still living in the Savannah media market, I can say "Yes" - for Savannah State it's worth it.

Savannah State sucks, has sucked, and will suck. By playing OSU and FSU, the school gets close to $1 million. Savannah State could've been beaten 84-0 by Georgia Southern, Wofford, or The Citadel and traveled by bus. At least they're getting paid well to get slaughtered.

Savannah State is a leftover eyesore of Segregation. The school has no redeeming quality and has been at the center of such controversies as: Giving academic credit to GI Bill students who never attended class; being the dummy option for crosstown Armstrong Atlantic students who have difficulty with a core subject; over funding athletics, which is what forced them into Division I

Tell us how you really feel about SSU xlolx

DSUrocks07
September 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM
If they continue to improve their facilities and build up their recruiting budget, SSU has a shot to be a serious contender in the MEAC for years to come. Their biggest issue is that they haven't gotten their house in order over the years.

penguinpower
September 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I moved down here from Y-town about a year ago. The stadium is small, but really nice. I agree that they need to continue to invest to get it on the map, but I agree that there is a lot of potential. Savannah is a nice place to recruit to, however, since they are a HBC I think it hurts them just like it hurts North Carolina A&T and FAMU. I think you need more diversity to be a contender. They need to try to drop that stigma, because they are in the middle of Ga Southern's recruiting territory and could prove to be some real competition. Also the coach seems like he has a good plan. I listened to him today and I think he has a great approach to the games. He said that he wants to see the kids compete, but it is not going to hurt any of their goals for this year by losing. They have set smaller goals and need the $$$ so maximizing the paydays and trying to be competitive in the conference are good steps for an immature program.

penguinpower
September 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I have also heard some of that kind of talk from the locals as well. They will need to get the academics portion in order first before have a shot as a serious contender.

boogereagle
September 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I have to agree with much of this having lived just down road from Savannah for many long uears (I am a South Carolinian, so can't claim to be native,yet I recall much of what you mention and others).

Still I have a co-worker whose husband is in a marine science graduate program there. Apparently that program is well thought of in marine science circles. So it is not a totally bad institution.

As for its football program, I tend to pull for the Tigers simply because those kids need all the support they can get. But the SSU program is certainly a poster child for how not to move up a division.
Savannah State would have been better served to have stayed D2 -- where, for a time under the legendary HBCU coach Bill Davis, the Tigers seemed on the verge of being pretty good.

Sometimes I wonder if there's an object lesson in there somewhere for all the FCS folks who think FBS is the promised land and all one has to do to suceed is move up.

clenz
September 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I hope every team the play puts 84 up on them....

apaladin
September 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I always look at the injuries after the game. If you can get away with less than 3 injuries, I would say it was worth it. If you have more than 3, then it could put your season in jeopardy (well if you were competitive anyway) and may not be worth it.

You can get hurt against anyone so this makes no sense. FSU beat Murray St. 69-3 but lost their All-American DE for the season in the process. Being a Furman fan I have watched FU play FBS teams for 30 years now and I can honestly say I don't ever remember FU getting anyone hurt in these games.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 5th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Bottom line, they are an embarrassment to DI schools everywhere. Drop the sports - they ain't workin' - and focus on getting the academics in order. My two cents.

bonarae
September 5th, 2012, 04:03 AM
If it's the money, yes. But from another point of view, it's only down to a maybe or depending on the case. The Ivies, due to the nature of our schedule and the way ADs and coaches schedule our games, usually don't have room for or don't take offers of higher tier FCS or even FBS teams, mainly for the fear of getting humiliated by those. Savannah State isn't anyone of us, they simply don't care about the outcome, they just take the money.

GOODY26
September 5th, 2012, 06:37 AM
For Savannah State and HBCU it is all about money. For the football players it is cool to go up aginst the big boys and all, but two weeks in a row to take that type of pounding is asking to much if you ask me.

813Jag
September 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM
You can get hurt against anyone so this makes no sense. FSU beat Murray St. 69-3 but lost their All-American DE for the season in the process. Being a Furman fan I have watched FU play FBS teams for 30 years now and I can honestly say I don't ever remember FU getting anyone hurt in these games.
on a play where he didn't get hit no less. You're right anything can happen in football.

813Jag
September 5th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I hope every team the play puts 84 up on them....
You should point a finger at WVU as well. Instead of a big time Noles/Mountaineers matchup we get this mess.

heath
September 5th, 2012, 07:24 AM
You should point a finger at WVU as well. Instead of a big time Noles/Mountaineers matchup we get this mess.

Did WVU drop the Noles so they could play JMU,or was that game already scheduled?

bluehenbillk
September 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Well Wofford is on the other end this week - playing bad D2 Lincoln Univ. If they don't drop 80, they'll drop in my poll.

813Jag
September 5th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Did WVU drop the Noles so they could play JMU,or was that game already scheduled?
that game was already scheduled, the problem came when the Big XII expanded.

MSUDuo
September 5th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Yes, WVU dropped the FSU game to pick up an easier game since they were moving to the Big 12. FSU tried everything to keep the game

NJLincolnLion
September 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Well Wofford is on the other end this week - playing bad D2 Lincoln Univ. If they don't drop 80, they'll drop in my poll.

I hope Coach Ayers has a heart and does not embarass the Lion cubs too much.

unigriff
September 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Sav. St. can die a slow painful death since they wanted to crawl out of playing UNI to play FSU. Give us FSU....at least we'd make it more of a challenge for em! I'd even trade the Iowa game for FSU :) U Iowa = Savannah State :) sorry...just angered today!

GAD
September 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Niether of these teams were shocked by the out come. The reason this game was scheduled is because OSU didn't want a team that would present any sort of challege to them...why else would you schedule a FCS team that has been sub .500 for so long?

813Jag
September 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Yes, WVU dropped the FSU game to pick up an easier game since they were moving to the Big 12. FSU tried everything to keep the game
FSU was also in talks with UL-L and UAB but they fell thru.

DSUrocks07
September 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM

But here's the kicker. WVU has a bye week this week. So they dropped FSU and never replaced the game.

DSUrocks07
September 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah it sucks that SSU dropped UNI for this game, but that's the nature of college football these days. It's all about the money. Although the bad blood generated between UNI and SSU was unnecessary. And a blunder that a first-year AD should realize he can't afford to make.

heath
September 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM
But here's the kicker. WVU has a bye week this week. So they dropped FSU and never replaced the game.

Thought you can only play 12 games,means they had 13? Or was dropping the FSU game part of the deal getting into Big 12?Maybe they will meet FSU in a Bowl,and JMU will treat them like they did VT a few years back.

813Jag
September 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM
At least they paid the $500,000 buyout, maybe one day WVU/FSU will be a conference game xlolx

dgtw
September 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM
A companion piece to the story about the game suggests the NCAA ban games between FBS and FCS teams. That's a nice idea in theory, but has a lot of problems. To begin with, if we happen to have an odd number of teams, it forces one team to be off the first weekend and one to be off the last weekend of the season. The FBS plays 12 games in 13 weeks, so it would, in effect, eliminate a bye week for at least two teams.

And is it even possible to do this? I'd have to sit down and look at the number of conferences, teams and conference games, but it may not be possible for everyone to be able to play a full schedule if they cannot play up or down.

MSUDuo
September 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Yeah, my mistake. They couldn't pick up another game. It would have put them over the limit

DSUrocks07
September 5th, 2012, 04:50 PM
A companion piece to the story about the game suggests the NCAA ban games between FBS and FCS teams. That's a nice idea in theory, but has a lot of problems. To begin with, if we happen to have an odd number of teams, it forces one team to be off the first weekend and one to be off the last weekend of the season. The FBS plays 12 games in 13 weeks, so it would, in effect, eliminate a bye week for at least two teams.

And is it even possible to do this? I'd have to sit down and look at the number of conferences, teams and conference games, but it may not be possible for everyone to be able to play a full schedule if they cannot play up or down.

I read a comment somewhere that proposed that some type of a league system be infused within the two subdivisions...sort of like a grading scale (A, B, C, D) based on a five year running average of performance (wins, SOS, postseason success, and so forth).

A-league teams in FBS can only play A-league teams in FCS
B-league teams in FBS can only play A-league or B-league teams in FCS
C-league teams in FBS can only play C-league and above in FCS
D-league teams in FBS can play anybody in FCS

Seems feasible, and would somewhat level the competitive playing field (although what would be the motivation for a Montana (FCS A-league) for example to travel to Oklahoma State (FBS A-league) for a potential beatdown game?), but then you would have to create a solution to the main issue on the FCS end, financial sustainability. Revenue sharing between FBS schools and FCS schools?

apaladin
September 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM

That's the problem when some idiot puts all FCS teams on the Savannah St level. I guess he didn't see for example the YSU/Pitt score?

bonarae
September 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM

What about the PFL? Most teams have lower-division opponents in the majority of their schedules, but they usually can't win those games with them. xsmhx And some of the higher FCS conferences' teams also play lower-division opponents (e.g. Wofford). That will create a lot of problems for all divisions, I think. (rare exceptions include NESCAC D-III, they only play a conference schedule.)

alvinkayak6
September 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM
After going 1-10 last season and being one of the weaker FCS schools over the past years,is the payout worth the punishment? Oklahoma St(84-0) and now Florida St this week.(who beat Murray St 69-3)xconfusedxListening to "Mike and Mike" ream the AD for scheduling these games yesterday got me thinking.Is there a line that can be crossed when scheduling FBS games,or does it not matter because of the $$$$$$$ Yes,App St beat Michigan, and JMU got VT,but would you like to see your school smacked by 12 TDs? Should any FCS team outside the top 35 play a top 20 FBS school?Might like to see NDSU play USC xchinscratchx

Good for school's bank account.
Bad for player's long-term health trajectory.

Solved.

dgtw
September 5th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Did they make that much money going to Oklahoma State? They were paid $385,000 for the game. Did they fly out there? Plane tickets and at least a one night hotel stay for an entire team and staff had to have cost a lot. A bus would be cheaper (and doable given there was no school Monday), but it would be a bigger physical toll and increased food costs.

dgtw
September 5th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I read a comment somewhere that proposed that some type of a league system be infused within the two subdivisions...sort of like a grading scale (A, B, C, D) based on a five year running average of performance (wins, SOS, postseason success, and so forth).

A-league teams in FBS can only play A-league teams in FCS
B-league teams in FBS can only play A-league or B-league teams in FCS
C-league teams in FBS can only play C-league and above in FCS
D-league teams in FBS can play anybody in FCS

Seems feasible, and would somewhat level the competitive playing field (although what would be the motivation for a Montana (FCS A-league) for example to travel to Oklahoma State (FBS A-league) for a potential beatdown game?), but then you would have to create a solution to the main issue on the FCS end, financial sustainability. Revenue sharing between FBS schools and FCS schools?

Another idea that looks good on paper but may not work in reality. If you are a top 20 FBS team in the "A" group, would you rather play the top team in the FCS, which would give you a good game and might even beat you or would you rather play the worst team in the FBS?

Also, the "D" group FBS teams probably can't afford to pay what an "A" group team would pay, so it really isn't going to help the "D" group FCS teams like Savannah State.

Panther88
September 7th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I think you need more diversity to be a contender.

The BEST statement I've read on AGS this entire year. THAT has been my #1 GRIPE w/ PVAMU's "staff" over the course of the last year. I don't understand the segregationist type recruitment that's occurring. It's 2012. They, them, they need to let the stupid ********* go (segregationist mentality).

Panther88
September 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM

Ouch! Sounds eeeeeerily familiar though. xreadx Hmmmmmmmmmm............

PhoenixSupreme
September 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
The money payout for these losses can't do anything for the embarrassment and the humiliation these players go through from experiencing these losses they were expected to lose. The humiliation can have effects that can linger for a while, even through the whole FCS season, which is where you want your players to be in the right state of mind. Those first couple of games of a season set the tone for the rest of the season, and money cannot change the immediate product on the field. And as we all are probably aware of, having bad seasons can impact future recruiting, which would seem to counter the whole reason for getting money.

On a side note, I hear the spread O/U for the FSU game is 70.5 pts, which is about 2 TD's more than the Ok. St. spread.

bonarae
September 7th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I think you need more diversity to be a contender.

Agree with you. Overlooked this quote earlier, but the Ivy teams have a long history of putting equality on the field (Fritz Pollard of Brown was one of the pioneers in representing minorities in the NFL.) See also Harvard basketball, but it's another story to tell.

The humiliation can have effects that can linger for a while, even through the whole FCS season, which is where you want your players to be in the right state of mind. Those first couple of games of a season set the tone for the rest of the season, and money cannot change the immediate product on the field. And as we all are probably aware of, having bad seasons can impact future recruiting, which would seem to counter the whole reason for getting money.

For the Ivies, the humiliation some teams experience after losing to higher-quality FCS opponents (e.g. historically Harvard-UMass, stopped after a street melee in 1988, Harvard-W&M, stopped after Restic retired in 1993, Dartmouth-UNH, which will only resume in 2014 after a 5 year absence from the schedule and Princeton's experiments with The Citadel and Hampton) sometimes displays their tendency to schedule games with and face lower-quality competition (e.g. PFL and NEC lower-tier). Some exceptions include: Penn-Villanova (annual ongoing series), Penn-W&M next year, Columbia-Albany in 2014, Yale-Army in 2014 and Yale-Cal Poly next year. The quality of OOC scheduling in Ivy football varies from school to school. Sometimes the first couple games statement is also true for the Ivies.

But when it comes to recruiting in the Ivies, the academic prestige of the schools still beats the athletic advantages of these if a recruit chooses to play football. Not so much with the other schools, though.

PhoenixSupreme
September 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
For the Ivies, the humiliation some teams experience after losing to higher-quality FCS opponents (e.g. historically Harvard-UMass, stopped after a street melee in 1988, Harvard-W&M, stopped after Restic retired in 1993, Dartmouth-UNH, which will only resume in 2014 after a 5 year absence from the schedule and Princeton's experiments with The Citadel and Hampton) sometimes displays their tendency to schedule games with and face lower-quality competition (e.g. PFL and NEC lower-tier). Some exceptions include: Penn-Villanova (annual ongoing series), Penn-W&M next year, Columbia-Albany in 2014, Yale-Army in 2014 and Yale-Cal Poly next year. The quality of OOC scheduling in Ivy football varies from school to school. Sometimes the first couple games statement is also true for the Ivies.

But when it comes to recruiting in the Ivies, the academic prestige of the schools still beats the athletic advantages of these if a recruit chooses to play football. Not so much with the other schools, though.

I can certainly understand that recruitment for the Ivies is influenced by the academics, and for HBCUs is influenced by the culture. But for teams like Murray State, who lost to FSU 69-3, these extraneous factors are a bit more latent, and so the athletic success and athletic background would have to play a larger role in recruiting. I would be foolish to discount certain recruiting factors, such as proximity to home and having the opportunity to play higher-level competition, but I just feel that the money gained from being dominated by an FBS school is not enough to counteract the potential psychological effect of those bad losses that could set the tone for the rest of the season, and ultimately recruiting.

I know it may hurt Savannah St initially from a financial standpoint, but perhaps they should try to forego scheduling FBS games, in an attempt to maybe schedule more winnable FCS games. Try to establish a culture of winning, and the better players, and revenue from ticket sales will follow. Then maybe go back to scheduling FBS games.

DSUrocks07
September 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
http://zipmeme.com/uploads/generated/g1347036516530224837.jpg

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Agree with you. Overlooked this quote earlier, but the Ivy teams have a long history of putting equality on the field (Fritz Pollard of Brown was one of the pioneers in representing minorities in the NFL.) See also Harvard basketball, but it's another story to tell.

The funny thing is that Penn and Harvard these days would not be humiliated by anyone in FCS... you maybe would not beat NDSU, but you wouldn't put on a Lafayette performance.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
SSU is a 70.5 point underdog to FSU.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8347913/savannah-state-tigers-getting-70#189-points-vs-florida-state-seminoles

sgt smash
September 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I would hate to be on the cheer squad and doing pushups for the Seminoles this weekend.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I would hate to be on the cheer squad and doing pushups for the Seminoles this weekend.

Considering they beat Murray State something along the lines of 69-3 last week, I would say they have gotten their work in.

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Sometimes, this kind of scheduling is indicative of the clock ticking on a program and the need to get cash in sooner rather than later.

SSU has sttruggled mightily in Div. I, and not just in football. Scheduling games like this (regardless of the outcome) may help to stabilize athletics at a school which has had more than its share of off the field turnover in recent years.

813Jag
September 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Honestly, I'll be glad when this game is over.

Panther88
September 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I can certainly understand that recruitment for the Ivies is influenced by the academics, and for HBCUs is influenced by the culture. But for teams like Murray State, who lost to FSU 69-3, these extraneous factors are a bit more latent, and so the athletic success and athletic background would have to play a larger role in recruiting. I would be foolish to discount certain recruiting factors, such as proximity to home and having the opportunity to play higher-level competition, but I just feel that the money gained from being dominated by an FBS school is not enough to counteract the potential psychological effect of those bad losses that could set the tone for the rest of the season, and ultimately recruiting.

I know it may hurt Savannah St initially from a financial standpoint, but perhaps they should try to forego scheduling FBS games, in an attempt to maybe schedule more winnable FCS games. Try to establish a culture of winning, and the better players, and revenue from ticket sales will follow. Then maybe go back to scheduling FBS games.
You have great understanding.