PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Bog: Power Rankings

mmiller_34
September 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Power Rankings and week 1 analysis are up. Check it out.

http://mvfcfan.blogspot.com/p/power-rankings.html

The Power Rankings turned out pretty good for week #1. However, I would liked to see UNI, ISU(b), and SDSU above Western Illinois. Next week the SOS will be more connected and Western should fall considerably.

ValleyChamp
September 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
UNI is a top 10 FCS team, and they lost a 5 point game to the B10 champs #12 Wisconsin, and you put them at #6 in a conference power ranking?

darell1976
September 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM
#8 South Dakota (0-1)

The Coyotes are going to need to come together on defense; giving up 568 yards of offense is just unacceptable. Despite their poor defensive performance they led Montana 24-16 in the 3rd quarter. They can't count on being in that position in most games. The Coyotes have Colgate at home this week.

Tough break for the Yotes. They lost all their road games in 2011, and start 0-1 on the road it's not going to get easier. They really need to get this team back on track or else Joe Glenn won't be there for long. USD is winless in their last 10 road games...their last road win, Sept. 11, 2010 at Minnesota.

mmiller_34
September 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
UNI is a top 10 FCS team, and they lost a 5 point game to the B10 champs #12 Wisconsin, and you put them at #6 in a conference power ranking?

A loss is a loss in the formula. As I said, next week SOS will have more of an impact.

mmiller_34
September 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Tough break for the Yotes. They lost all their road games in 2011, and start 0-1 on the road it's not going to get easier. They really need to get this team back on track or else Joe Glenn won't be there for long. USD is winless in their last 10 road games...their last road win, Sept. 11, 2010 at Minnesota.

I was surprised when I saw how many yards of offense South Dakota gave up. Almost 600 yards of offense is ridiculous; South Dakota certainly has some issues to figure out in the next couple of weeks.

ValleyChamp
September 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
What is the "formula"? Any formula that puts UNI as the #6 team in the MVFC in a power ranking, especially after almost beating Wiscsonsin, is quite honestly terrible.

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
What is the "formula"? Any formula that puts UNI as the #6 team in the MVFC in a power ranking, especially after almost beating Wiscsonsin, is quite honestly terrible.

0-1 part of the formula I would guess. I wouldn't get too excited about a ranking at this point of the season.

344Johnson
September 4th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Get over it. Most ranking systems need multiple weeks to get everything settled anyway, even the mighty Sagarin.

ValleyChamp
September 4th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Whoa, ok. I'm sorry, but when I see a ranking or poll that puts UNI #6 in the conf behind teams such as Western Illinois, I'm going to call it in question. Get over that.

crunifan
September 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Yep, Indiana State losing to lowly Indiana by 7 is a greater accomplishment than UNI losing to #12, defending Big Ten champion, Wisconsin by 5.

Clearly a lot of reason and logic went into these rankings.

344Johnson
September 4th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Yep, Indiana State losing to lowly Indiana by 7 is a greater accomplishment than UNI losing to #12, defending Big Ten champion, Wisconsin by 5.

Did you not see his post that it uses a formula? He also mentioned tweaking the formula. I understand you are bummed that UNI lost and that you are #6 in a Week One power ranking, but relax.

MSUBear42
September 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Agreed...

Appreciate the effort, though.

UNIFanSince1983
September 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Arguably Missouri State should be ahead of SDSU and USD. They were in a game with #22 K State until the Wildcats ultimately wore them down. And I don't mind if you value a win over a loss, but how is losing to Indiana better than losing to #12 Wisconsin? Do you have the formula posted somewhere?

I do appreciate your effort, and think overall it isn't too bad but there are some glaring issues that are obvious to most people.