PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Sports Network Poll

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
SIAP
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx
Already updated.

The Sports Network FCS Top 25
College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) 2012 Record Points Previous Rank
1. Sam Houston State Bearkats (87) 0-0 3985 1
2. North Dakota State Bison (65) 1-0 3947 2
3. Georgia Southern Eagles (4) 1-0 3651 3
4. Montana State Bobcats (1) 1-0 3457 4
5. James Madison Dukes 1-0 3269 5
6. Youngstown State Penguins (7) 1-0 2988 13
7. Old Dominion Monarchs 1-0 2842 8
8. Northern Iowa Panthers 0-1 2727 9
9. Eastern Washington Eagles 1-0 2505 12
10. Wofford Terriers 1-0 2488 10
11. Appalachian State Mountaineers 0-1 2484 6
12. Montana Grizzlies 1-0 2240 11
13. Towson Tigers 0-1 2236 7
14. New Hampshire Wildcats 1-0 2063 14
15. Delaware Blue Hens 1-0 1779 15
16. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 1-0 1530 16
17. Stony Brook Seawolves 1-0 1484 17
18. Illinois State Redbirds 1-0 1229 19
19. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks 1-0 1082 20
20. Maine Black Bears 0-0 743 21
21. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 0-1 689 18
22. McNeese State Cowboys 1-0 594 NR
23. Indiana State Sycamores 0-1 531 23
24. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 0-1 443 22
25. Central Arkansas Bears 0-1 356 24
Others receiving votes: Harvard 327, Liberty 213, UT Martin 173, South Carolina State 169, William & Mary 168, Norfolk State 146, Bethune-Cookman 134, Cal Poly 84, Chattanooga 76, Tennessee Tech 52, Eatern Illinois 48, Northern Arizona 43, North Dakota 43, Murray State 40, Albany 38, Portland State 34, South Dakota State 34, Penn 17, Samford 17, Alabama State 16, Tennessee State 16, Dayton 12, Morgan State 9, SE Missouri State 8, Idaho State 7, Southern Utah 7, Duquesne 7, Richmond 5, Georgetown 4, Furman 4, Alabama A&M 3, Alcorn State 3, Jackson State 3, Villanova 2, The Citadel 2, Cornell 2, San Diego 2, Western Illinois 1, Drake 1, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 1, UC Davis 1.

frozennorth
September 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
off the top of my head nothing looks terrible here. Little surprised montana didn't fall a little further

heath
September 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
not bad after week 1,but when looking at receiving votes,W&M might be the best of the rest.....very interesting team this season

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
App falling five spots after losing to an FBS school? Ouch!

Twentysix
September 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
App falling five spots after losing to an FBS school? Ouch!

What was Towson ranked before? They should drop imo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
off the top of my head nothing looks terrible here. Little surprised montana didn't fall a little further

Montana, Montana St., Lehigh, Towson and Delaware were all less than stellar. Each had flashes of big things but couldn't put together a full 60 minutes. It's only week one though. Any rush to judgement is foolish imo.

frozennorth
September 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
the last column is previous rank. they dropped from 7th to 13th.

WeAreNorthDakota
September 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
What was Towson ranked before? They should drop imo.

They dropped from 7 to 13. Appropriate drop after a loss to an FBS team.

HensRock
September 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Tribe belong in top 25. Outplayed UMD but had a few unlucky breaks. This was with their 2nd-string QB for most of the game too.

frozennorth
September 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM

i don't think it was that they lost, but that they looked really sloppy. I dropped them ~10 spots on my ballot

BEAR
September 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Glad my Bears hung in at #25. We hung with the Ole Miss Rebs until about 6 minutes left in the third quarter..then the depth got us. Should be a much different outcome against an FCS opponent this week. SEC teams are always hard to beat even if they are down.

Twentysix
September 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM

I expected them to win that game, and they lost by 20. Sometimes when you lose to an FBS team you don't deserve any drop. Towson dropped alot in my poll.

WeAreNorthDakota
September 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
I expected them to win that game, and they lost by 20. Sometimes when you lose to an FBS team you don't deserve any drop. Towson dropped alot in my poll.

To say you expected an FCS team to beat a team that was .500 in the MAC last year is unreasonable. Yes, FCS teams have been upsetting FBS teams more often lately and you as a Bison fan are as aware of that as anyone, but there's a reason that FBS teams pay FCS teams a lot of money to come to their houses. They want a tune-up against a less talented team. I won't fault Towson for looking sloppy against a superior team in their first game of the season. If they again look sloppy against W&M in 2 weeks, then I'll start worrying.

Grizalltheway
September 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Montana, Montana St., Lehigh, Towson and Delaware were all less than stellar. Each had flashes of big things but couldn't put together a full 60 minutes. It's only week one though. Any rush to judgement is foolish imo.

I won't say we were perfect, but I think 34 first downs and close to 600 yards of offense is solid in anyone's book. The only reason SD was ever in the game was mental mistakes and slip-ups on our part.

bojeta
September 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
My goodness!!! We received votes!! lol... Wyoming looked decent against #15 Texas. With a bye next week, we'll probably have to wait until week 4 or 5 to get a real look. Oh well, it's mostly guessing until then anyhow...

Twentysix
September 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
To say you expected an FCS team to beat a team that was .500 in the MAC last year is unreasonable. Yes, FCS teams have been upsetting FBS teams more often lately and you as a Bison fan are as aware of that as anyone, but there's a reason that FBS teams pay FCS teams a lot of money to come to their houses. They want a tune-up against a less talented team. I won't fault Towson for looking sloppy against a superior team in their first game of the season. If they again look sloppy against W&M in 2 weeks, then I'll start worrying.

A weekly poll is a living document. Every team is judged weekly on their strengths and their miscomings. Please though, lecture me on what I should expect when it comes to the FCS. I am sure you have been following it with more astudiousness than I have been. For a much longer period I must also assume.

WeAreNorthDakota
September 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I won't say we were perfect, but I think 34 first downs and close to 600 yards of offense is solid in anyone's book. The only reason SD was ever in the game was mental mistakes and slip-ups on our part.

Considering everything that went down this offseason, it has to be encouraging for Montana fans to see that kind of offensive production. Mental mistakes and miscues are things that can easily be fixed. They might not be ironed out in time for App State but once Big Sky season rolls around, I fully expect Montana to be their usual selves.

WeAreNorthDakota
September 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
A weekly poll is a living document. Every team is judged weekly on their strengths and their miscomings.

Fair enough, I tend to view polls as more of a prediction of how things will end up so I don't like to condemn preseason top 10 teams until I see something really startling.

Appattk
September 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM

Refs literally awarded ECU 14 points in the second half.... App lost, but the score doesn't really show how well this young team played the game...

Twentysix
September 3rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Refs literally awarded ECU 14 points in the second half.... App lost, but the score doesn't really show how well this young team played the game...

App didn't drop in my poll, however, app also wasn't ranked even close to as high as Towson in my preseason poll.

DJKyR0
September 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I dropped Towson like four spots for tackling the dude running the wrong way. C'mon guys.

frozennorth
September 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I dropped app a couple spots, but more because my expectation of their season had already gone down than because the headline score was worse than expected

Mr. C
September 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM

Having been in the press box for that game and despite Towson's sloppy play, just know that Kent State was a lot better than expected.

CopperCat
September 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Tribe belong in top 25. Outplayed UMD but had a few unlucky breaks. This was with their 2nd-string QB for most of the game too.

Yup, I've got them in my poll at #22.

TwoFeathers
September 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM

That's a tough call until we see another game. UMD had 13 players out with injury, and what, 4 turnovers? However, the Tribe D did look very good. The offense will need to come together for this team to be consistent.

coover
September 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
My goodness!!! We received votes!! lol... Wyoming looked decent against #15 Texas. With a bye next week, we'll probably have to wait until week 4 or 5 to get a real look. Oh well, it's mostly guessing until then anyhow...We go against Wyoming in two weeks, then UC Davis, a game usually settled by emotion rather than skill, and then North Dakota. That game will tell us and all where we are.

Drblankstare
September 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM

I've never thought you should drop after an FBS loss. Unless you're truly awful, I watched most of that game and App played well enough to stay put in the polls.

HailSzczur
September 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
Again I say, who the hell is voting for us? We certainly aren't there because of results from last year. We didn't play that well against Temple. We don't have overwhelming potential for the year. And to think that most likely either 2 voters think we are Top 25 worthy, or someone thinks we're the #24 team in the country. I hate to see other people complain thinking they should have been higher when our few points could have moved them up a rank.

And I agree, App got screwed over this week. No one who plays a FBS team that close should move down that far. Now a big win for a team like YSU could bump them, but not drop them like that.

Twentysix
September 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Again I say, who the hell is voting for us? We certainly aren't there because of results from last year. We didn't play that well against Temple. We don't have overwhelming potential for the year. And to think that most likely either 2 voters think we are Top 25 worthy, or someone thinks we're the #24 team in the country. I hate to see other people complain thinking they should have been higher when our few points could have moved them up a rank.

And I agree, App got screwed over this week. No one who plays a FBS team that close should move down that far. Now a big win for a team like YSU could bump them, but not drop them like that.

App moved forward, not on merit, but due to others dropping spots in my poll; combined with their low ranking to being with. Towson is the one that dropped after losing to kent state by 20. I expect the top of the FCS to beat middle teir MAC teams, or atleast keep it close. Towson did not fall out of my top 25, but they dropped 9 spots iirc.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have a feeling Stony Brook will be in the top 10 soon, imho.

JMUNJ08
September 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I have a feeling Stony Brook will be in the top 10 soon, imho.

I already have hem in mine....

As for the Towson bashing, besides JMUs win @ VT and OT loss to UMD, we have had some pretty terrible showings at FBS games over the years ( I.e. Duke 2008). No matter how bad, I don't think any warranted the drop Towson received or their hate mail. Key is that they go out and beat who they should beat over the next few weeks. Everyone factors in their FBS games as an L so it's just 1. Kent is much better than some of the world beaters from this past weekend who went down so give the Tigers some slack...

Pard4Life
September 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Lehigh is overrated and should be in a 23-25 spot, if that. I agree, Stony Brook is headed higher.

RichH2
September 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I put Lehigh at 21. Lets see how we do vs CCSU. REGARDLESS OF injuries and away game LU must win decisively, if not they'll have to play their way back into top 25.

andy7171
September 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I think to drop from #7 to #13 is justified. Towson's strength is the run game. And we came out with 5 consecutive passing plays. KSU's defense was very good. Nix is a NFL caliber DE. It seemed like they had 17 points immediately, so when we scored to make it 17-7, there was a sense of things settling down, then they ran the ensuing KO back. Completely deflating. We didn't wuit though.

Ambrose is going to get everyone in line over the next two weeks. I wouldn't want to be on the team nor W&M after it's all said and done with..

GtFllsGriz
September 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I was at the game and felt totally comfortable with the way the Griz played. They were alway in control. A missed coverage by a young corner gave USD 7 and a pick 6 that went through the receiver's hands made the game closer then it should have been. The O line manhandled them and the running game was amazing. I watched the game back on my DVR and was even more satisfied with this performance.

This team is very young with the QB making his first start ever. I felt like this opening game was much better than last years opening game. I am very optimistic about this young team. This weeks game with APP State will be very interesting. I will not be disappointed if we lose but I expect a solid game and would not be shocked if we won it either.

ASUMountaineer
September 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Polls after week one are meaningless. I'm much more concerned with how the season ends. If ASU does what it should, they won't have the option of ranking the Mountaineers out of the top 10.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Agree. I am glad LU is not ranked. Hope it stays that way for a while, but suspect a win vs NST has the Flames ranked going into WaGriz.

grayghost06
September 4th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Will be interesting to see how No. Iowa fares after going toe to toe w/ 12th ranked Wisconsin. To me, that's FAR more impressive than walloping St. Franks by 48 like my school did.. SportsNetwork got it right, actually advancing them a slot. Let's see how the "more informed" AGS voters do.