PDA

View Full Version : PL Preview Continues... #3 Lehigh

colgate13
July 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Is now up on The 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com).

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Great preview - but didn't anyone tell you Lehigh's the best team in the Patriot League and are going to go 15-0? We were also best last year too... :rotateh:

Seriously, a very good, fair assessment.

LBPop
July 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Excellent job, Mr. XIII. I have a question for you or any of our Lehigh contingent. Depth at QB can be perhaps more important than at any other position--certainly Lehigh fans and Bucknell fans know that first hand. Is there any clear cut #2 QB at Lehigh? I wish Threatt all the best (he is certainly fun to watch), but his style makes him vulnerable.

Now that we are down to #2, the big question in AGS land is whether our Hamilton, NY sage will play the humble role or tell us what he really thinks. I know which way I'm betting...:rolleyes: :D

Go...gate
July 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
As always, a very fine review, 13, but I think Lehigh wins the conference this year at 9-2 or 10-1.

LeopardFan04
July 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Good work 13! I assume I'll be reading about the Raiders next? ;)

colgate13
July 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Excellent job, Mr. XIII. I have a question for you or any of our Lehigh contingent. Depth at QB can be perhaps more important than at any other position--certainly Lehigh fans and Bucknell fans know that first hand. Is there any clear cut #2 QB at Lehigh? I wish Threatt all the best (he is certainly fun to watch), but his style makes him vulnerable.

Extremely pertinent question, especially at Lehigh given some history.

How do Mountain Hawk fans feel about their backup? :confused:

ngineer
July 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
The #1 backup will likely be Ken Probst, who has the best arm of all QB's. He's more of a 'classic' pocket passer, and not a runner, though fair mobility to avoid a rush, but definitely no Threatt. Kevin Marshall, a lefty will likely be #3 going into camp. Good arm, but basically untested. Should Threat go down, I have good confidence that Probst can lead the offense, though some of the play calling would change. Keep in mind, Coen appears to be placing more emphasis on the ground game with the addition of Pastore in the backfield mix.

ngineer
July 18th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Love the photo of Goodman, 13! Put the rest of my comments on your post, but can't disagree with the analysis. ;)

Lafalumni29
July 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Now that we are down to #2, the big question in AGS land is whether our Hamilton, NY sage will play the humble role or tell us what he really thinks. I know which way I'm betting...:rolleyes: :D
Don't forget about us!!! No onw will argue that Pat Davis certainly saved our season. It may be a MORE important question for the Leopards this season with Mauer's shoulder issues. I can't recall anyone in Leopeard country seeing any notable action from the backups. I am definitely more nervous about our backup QB situation than losing our LB core.

Andy
July 19th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I am definitely more nervous about our backup QB situation than losing our LB core.

Me too! One junior back-up who has never taken a varsity snap and two freshman is not a rosey picture. No QB recruits in '05 was puzzling, I assume Bernhard was the heir apparent...wonder if he will ever return? There are two QBs on our '07 Rivals prospect list already, 29.

cosmo here
July 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Me too! One junior back-up who has never taken a varsity snap and two freshman is not a rosey picture. No QB recruits in '05 was puzzling, I assume Bernhard was the heir apparent...wonder if he will ever return? There are two QBs on our '07 Rivals prospect list already, 29.

Well, DiPaola's taken a couple snaps, but certainly no significant varsity action. The Jones kid might be the real thing though . . remember after Marko left neither Brad or Pat had done anything either, and we won the championship the next year. By the way, I wish you guys would start spelling Brad's name Maurer instead of Mauer . . that's like Lehigh misspelling Threatt :(

Andy
July 19th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Cos, a minor point, but Dipaola has NEVER taken a varsity snap. The fact that we rarely blow anyone out and his fourth string status kept him from appearing even in garbage time, where Bernhard got to make a few hand offs. Of course, if you can tell me the game, I'll review the tape, admit my error and blame my advancing age and failing memory.

Good point on Brad's soph year--a championship year! Coach has been going out of his way to compliment DiPaola in some of the articles. We'll see....

cosmo here
July 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Cos, a minor point, but Dipaola has NEVER taken a varsity snap. The fact that we rarely blow anyone out and his fourth string status kept him from appearing even in garbage time, where Bernhard got to make a few hand offs. Of course, if you can tell me the game, I'll review the tape, admit my error and blame my advancing age and failing memory.

Good point on Brad's soph year--a championship year! Coach has been going out of his way to compliment DiPaola in some of the articles. We'll see....

His bio has the Marist game his freshman year . . not significant though :) Basically he was the scout team MVP as a frosh, then QB'd the scout team again last year. Corky Blake had a nice article last year that DiPaola went back and forth with Bennett, Costanzo and Witherspoon during practices . . he seems like a tough kid, I think he'll be ready if they have to throw him in.

Andy
July 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
In his bio they have "...two-time All-North Bergen Interscholastic Athletic League First-Team selection ." What they fail to mention is that it was as a defensive back not as a QB. Hopefully, we'll get to see Mike in our first game, and for reason other than injury.

Pard4Life
July 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
In his bio they have "...two-time All-North Bergen Interscholastic Athletic League First-Team selection ." What they fail to mention is that it was as a defensive back not as a QB. Hopefully, we'll get to see Mike in our first game, and for reason other than injury.

That's a nerve wracking FYI...

cosmo here
July 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
So Andy, does this mean that you're claiming Shaun Adair as your boy now ? Since I could have told you this time, last year that he was going to be great :nod:

That's OK, I guess I'll take DeAndre' Morrow instead.

carney2
July 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
His bio has the Marist game his freshman year . . not significant though :) Basically he was the scout team MVP as a frosh, then QB'd the scout team again last year. Corky Blake had a nice article last year that DiPaola went back and forth with Bennett, Costanzo and Witherspoon during practices . . he seems like a tough kid, I think he'll be ready if they have to throw him in.

Nothing scientific, proven or provable here, but I think just the opposite. Trying to find some way to explain myself, I come up with the following long-winded "explanation:"

I'm not a horse racing fan but, like many people, I tune in for one or another of the triple crown races each year. When I see a gray horse in the post parade, I know that he's not going to win. To me DiPaolo is a gray horse. He doesn't even look like a football player when he's manipulating the clipboard.

carney2
July 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
So Andy, does this mean that you're claiming Shaun Adair as your boy now ? Since I could have told you this time, last year that he was going to be great :nod:

Shaun Adair will be the next "great" Lafayette receiver. Remember where you heard it first.

cosmo here
July 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Shaun Adair will be the next "great" Lafayette receiver. Remember where you heard it first.

Yeah, I heard it from Coach Tavani last year :)

carney2
July 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I heard it from Coach Tavani last year :)

And when was the last time that anyone took Frank seriously?:smiley_wi

BTW, way to go Pards. We seem to have hijacked Lehigh's (brief) moment in the sun here.:hurray:

colorless raider
July 19th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Having a good back-up is essential. It could be scary for both the Pards and Lehigh.

Pard94
July 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Actually, I heard it from john Troxell before the Holy Cross game last year...he also told me that this years team is better than the last two and better than the 92 Championship team for which we both played...so I am excited!

Pard94
July 19th, 2006, 12:23 PM

13 is lucky in that if he picks his own team to win it all he can't really be accused of being a homer as it would be a solid pick...you picked a good year to start the bolg 13.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
After reading this banter on the Leopards' backup QB, I think 13 will be picking his Raiders #1! :D

colgate13
July 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
13 is lucky in that if he picks his own team to win it all he can't really be accused of being a homer as it would be a solid pick...you picked a good year to start the bolg 13.

This would be year #2 for the blog. Last year's #1 was Lehigh.

Andy
July 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM

No, no, Cos, I believe the rules state that one must declare a player one's "guy" before they reach actual star status. That would preclude my naming Shaun, he's all yours, congrats. That 23' 9" high school long jump was certainly an eye opener during the recruiting process!

BTW, Scout has already glommed Morrow as "his guy". Can't wait to watch the speedster!

A review of my guys shows a list of Clecidor, Quarterman, Snipes, Leggiero and Ferber. Also, when I read of Martell's 415 lb bench, I quickly grabbed him a few year's back. This year, Weyrauch will be inducted into the Andy's Guy Hall of Fame with Brandon Stanford on deck having already reached "emeritus" status.

Having hit a home run with Adair, has the staff, as far as you know, opined the future star status of any other young Pards?

cosmo here
July 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM
A review of my guys shows a list of Clecidor, Quarterman, Snipes, Leggiero and Ferber. Also, when I read of Martell's 415 lb bench, I quickly grabbed him a few year's back. This year, Weyrauch will be inducted into the Andy's Guy Hall of Fame with Brandon Stanford on deck having already reached "emeritus" status.

Having hit a home run with Adair, has the staff, as far as you know, opined the future star status of any other young Pards?

Pretty nice list, Andy. I'm big on Ferber also, our offense throws the ball to the fullback and we should be able to use his athleticism.

I also like Keith Heaney out of this year's class at Blake's spot, I think he has a chance to start as early as the home opener if he "gets it". The sophomores have no fewer than 14 of the 44 spots on the current two-deep, including seven starters . . I can't wait until we line up the four soph. offensive linemen next year. There's a lot there to like, along with seniors like Maurer, Hurt, Saint Germain, Ort, Fisher, Snipes, Liseno, Stovall, Torian Johnson, Martell . . :nod:

Fordham
July 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
<mulling over politically incorrect responses in reference to the homoerotic turn this thread just made by the Laf alums arguing over "who is who's guy" on this year's team>

Great article 13 (as always) ... even though I can't believe you have such little respect for Lehigh.

ngineer
July 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
After reading this banter on the Leopards' backup QB, I think 13 will be picking his Raiders #1! :D

I think 13 picking the Raiders cannot be considered a 'homer'. "On paper" CU has less question marks than LC, and I give Biddle the edge over Tavani. The line dividing the top 3 is so fine, there is not wrong selection.

Lafalumni29
July 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Actually, I heard it from john Troxell before the Holy Cross game last year...he also told me that this years team is better than the last two and better than the 92 Championship team for which we both played...so I am excited!
I clearly remember you saying that 94. IMO, the only thing holding the Pards back as clear favorites is the lack of a clear back-up QB. Most will say it's the LB core, but we know we have players there ready to be turned "Loose" (serious pun intended).
The number of returning starter for us are a bit misleading. For example, Bloom & Kaz were starters two years ago but missed all of last year with injuries. Padilla is back after a year off and is listed as a starter in the media guide. Two years ago he was considered better than our current preseason all american, Saint Germain. Thomson was a starter last year and seems to have been passed by Plenski. Seems like the OL will be better than last year, which is really exciting. I'm just getting this from the media guide so someone please feel free to jump in and correct me (as is I had to say that).

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I clearly remember you saying that 94. IMO, the only thing holding the Pards back as clear favorites is the lack of a clear back-up QB. Most will say it's the LB core, but we know we have players there ready to be turned "Loose" (serious pun intended).
The number of returning starter for us are a bit misleading. For example, Bloom & Kaz were starters two years ago but missed all of last year with injuries. Padilla is back after a year off and is listed as a starter in the media guide. Two years ago he was considered better than our current preseason all american, Saint Germain. Thomson was a starter last year and seems to have been passed by Plenski. Seems like the OL will be better than last year, which is really exciting. I'm just getting this from the media guide so someone please feel free to jump in and correct me (as is I had to say that).

I would also keep an eye on the secondary as another area aside form the backup QB and LBs. Andrian Lawson and Marvin Clecidor are questions, given they are short.. 5-9, 5-10. Height got to us at the end of the Colgate game last year in the secondary. Lawson has played some minutes, and I don't know anything about Clecidor, a soph.

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM
You both hit on points that concern me with Lafayette, and I'll add a third in a second. I seriously have not ranked CU/LC yet. My plan is to write them both up as the act of seriously flushing out ideas may influence my decision. For example, I contemplated Holy Cross higher until I started doing the research. It's inversely true with Fordham. I'm honestly up in the air right now.

I think the Pards linebackers will be fine. Much like Colgate, there is talent there that can step up each year. My Lafayette concerns are:

-a backup QB; Maurer has gone down in the past and Davis bailed you out
-the secondary; as mentioned, the height advantage was used by Colgate and it only gets worse if some of our freshman get a chance to see the field. Simonds is 6'6", Henry is 6'2" and Gongora (a sleeper IMO) is listed at 6'2" but I saw him in person and I swear that's an inch or two short.
-My addition: Turnovers. Not that Lafayette turned the ball over in an unusual amount, but rather that they really behind in gaining turnovers. Of course each year and each bounce of the ball is different, but that timely turnover is often the difference in a game.

cosmo here
July 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
-a backup QB; Maurer has gone down in the past and Davis bailed you out
-the secondary; as mentioned, the height advantage was used by Colgate and it only gets worse if some of our freshman get a chance to see the field. Simonds is 6'6", Henry is 6'2" and Gongora (a sleeper IMO) is listed at 6'2" but I saw him in person and I swear that's an inch or two short.
-My addition: Turnovers. Not that Lafayette turned the ball over in an unusual amount, but rather that they really behind in gaining turnovers. Of course each year and each bounce of the ball is different, but that timely turnover is often the difference in a game.

I'm not as concerned with the height of the secondary as I am with the experience . . Larry Johnson and Tye Murphy weren't 6-0 either and they did the job, at the end of the Colgate game it was inexperience that allowed Parker to get behind our corner on the wheel.

Lets not talk turnovers . . earlier on that drive Bryan Kazimierowski (6-4 safety) clearly intercepted a pass at the sideline that was waved out of bounds. That was a timely turnover and the difference in the game, unfortunately, for Colgate.

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Lets not talk turnovers . . earlier on that drive Bryan Kazimierowski (6-4 safety) clearly intercepted a pass at the sideline that was waved out of bounds. That was a timely turnover and the difference in the game, unfortunately, for Colgate.

However it happened (or didn't happen) the lack of those kinds of turnovers hurt LC last year. They need to be more opportunistic to get those INTs and fumbles. Having a new defense getting up to speed at this level, stripping the ball or going for the pick isn't necessarily their first thought. That usually happens with some veterans.

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
True, but in 2004 we were a forced turnover machine. We nearly equaled our 2003 INTs in one game. Last year we were hurt by Hurt fumbling every game, but we still managed to win as many as 2004. I don't have our tunover numbers from 2005 though, so I don't know how quality they are.

Andy
July 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
A very valid point on the turnovers, 13, as the margin has been a concern the past two seasons. Interestingly, however, the '05 co-champs both had identical -1 TO margins in the league.

Andy
July 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
True, but in 2004 we were a forced turnover machine. We nearly equaled our 2003 INTs in one game. Last year we were hurt by Hurt fumbling every game, but we still managed to win as many as 2004. I don't have our tunover numbers from 2005 though, so I don't know how quality they are.

You're right, P4L, it was the '03 season (with high expectations) that was destroyed by turnovers. Remember Towson in the rain? Painful.

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM
You're right, P4L, it was the '03 season (with high expectations) that was destroyed by turnovers. Remember Towson in the rain? Painful.

Ugh yeah.. that ranks up there as one of the worst games the past five years. Didn't go to that one, but I do remember cursing on 22 at the radio while going to the Lehigh-Fordham game... the PL match of the year supposedly at the time.

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
You probably read this 13, ugh, makes me sick..

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071806aaa.html

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
You probably read this 13, ugh, makes me sick..

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071806aaa.html

Same article that was quoted in the last scoreboard thread, but from the Colgate website. Looks like the PL site picked it up.

Fordham
July 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
"I know the team can win it all," Scott said. "With the seniors we have and the experience that they bring, this team's potential is limitless. As long as we play as a team and play fluently I believe this team is going to win the Patriot League. From there we just have to take care of business in the postseason."

fluently?

colgate13
July 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM
fluently?

:flagged:

Not this again! xlolx

Pard4Life
July 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM
:flagged:

Not this again! xlolx

:dizzy:

carney2
July 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Not only did he fumble, but they were frequently momentuum killers/changers. (Think Bucknell; think Colgate)