PDA

View Full Version : Carroll College at Portland State

JALMOND
September 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Kickoff scheduled for 5 pm PDT from Jeld Wen Field in downtown Portland between the Carroll College Fighting Saints and Portland State Vikings. The Saints are an NAIA school affiliated with the Frontier Conference and are located in Helena, Montana. Even though this is their first play-up game in quite a while, they are no stranger to big time games, having become a fixure in the NAIA playoffs, advancing (and even winning) the NAIA national championship. Last year, they lost in the championship final. They enter this game with a record of 1-0, having beaten Montana State-Northern last week, 31-6. The Vikings start this season minus Connor Kavanaugh and Cory McCaffrey, but bring in their potent pistol offense back. This is the season opener for the Vikings who hope to continue their season by season success at the hand of coach Nigel Burton. The Saints are coached their long time head man, Mike Van Diest. Gametime temps should be in the upper 70's and clear skies.

Portland State play by play: www.freedom970.com

TV available in Oregon and Washington on Comcast Sports-Northwest.

JALMOND
September 1st, 2012, 11:23 PM
38-20. Carroll has a great team, but seemed to be suffering from cramping during the game. We clearly have a lot to work on. We looked very rusty. First PAT, Zach Brown had a Carroll player take his knee out and he was on crutches at the end. They are calling it a knee "sprain" and will be reevaluated later, but it did not look good. A win is always good and we'll take this one, but Carroll showed why they usually win at the NAIA level. I don't want to play them again for awhile.

putter
September 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
38-20. Carroll has a great team, but seemed to be suffering from cramping during the game. We clearly have a lot to work on. We looked very rusty. First PAT, Zach Brown had a Carroll player take his knee out and he was on crutches at the end. They are calling it a knee "sprain" and will be reevaluated later, but it did not look good. A win is always good and we'll take this one, but Carroll showed why they usually win at the NAIA level. I don't want to play them again for awhile.

Proud of how Carroll played. 20 points and 343 total yards is nothing to hang your head at. Too bad Demory hurt his knee as he started out strong and it became a different game when he went out. Good opening game for the Viks as they had to work for the win, although the result was never really in doubt. Will have to play better on D against UND to get the win.

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
Proud of how Carroll played. 20 points and 343 total yards is nothing to hang your head at. Too bad Demory hurt his knee as he started out strong and it became a different game when he went out. Good opening game for the Viks as they had to work for the win, although the result was never really in doubt. Will have to play better on D against UND to get the win.

The new configuration at Jeld Wen means that my seats are now behind the visitors bench and it seemed like Demarais could have come back in. He was doing a lot of running with the trainers and testing the knee and pacing up and down the sidelines. I also saw that through the fourth quarter he did not even have is helmet which made me think the Carroll coaches did the "hide the helmet" thing. It looked like he really wanted to get back in there and was upset that the coaches were not letting him. It truly looked like the coaches kept him out as a precaution and that he could have played if needed. Probably a wise move as Carroll will need him in their conference.